Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Hot sleeper here and our linen sheets have been my favorite bed upgrade ever. Most nights that aren't in the winter, I get by with just the flat sheet and it's fantastic.
Doesn't fit your budget at all though since linen sheets are like the top end of the price spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Tossing in my usual recommendation for Modal/beech fiber sheets. With a jersey finish it's soft, absorbs moisture if you sweat, good temperature management.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

California is burning. Any suggestions on a good air purifier for a baby’s room? I’ve been looking at a Dyson, but not too knowledgeable in terms of other options and pricing.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

obi_ant posted:

California is burning. Any suggestions on a good air purifier for a baby’s room? I’ve been looking at a Dyson, but not too knowledgeable in terms of other options and pricing.
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-air-purifier/

Bought the Coway Airmega 400 for the square footage coverage and haven't had any complaints.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Whats a good bluetooth dongle for windows? I picked up a new xbox one controller and want to use it wirelessly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've wanted to de-pill my mattress and sleeping bag and some other stuff for a while now, and picked up this Conair Fabric Shaver.

it's a goddamn miracle tool, is what it is. and the little THIK THIK THIKTKTKTKTHIKTK as it quickly and smoothly sucks in and severs the little pilling and loose threads on the mattress is so insanely satisfying, it's ridiculous. after a thorough run-over with this thing and a followup vacuuming, my mattress looks almost brand new when it looked heavily used before, it's kind of amazing. Plus, of course, the rough slight bumpiness of the pilling is no longer there. I love it and can't recommend it enough, and you just pop the little "chin" of the shaver off to empty out the stuff it's collected.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My battery powered weed eater is busted. I think I'm done with the days of batteries on them and want to just look at a four stroke (really don't want a two stroke because I don't want to deal with mix). Any recommendations for something solid?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I've wanted to de-pill my mattress and sleeping bag and some other stuff for a while now, and picked up this Conair Fabric Shaver.

it's a goddamn miracle tool, is what it is. and the little THIK THIK THIKTKTKTKTHIKTK as it quickly and smoothly sucks in and severs the little pilling and loose threads on the mattress is so insanely satisfying, it's ridiculous. after a thorough run-over with this thing and a followup vacuuming, my mattress looks almost brand new when it looked heavily used before, it's kind of amazing. Plus, of course, the rough slight bumpiness of the pilling is no longer there. I love it and can't recommend it enough, and you just pop the little "chin" of the shaver off to empty out the stuff it's collected.

This tool is 100% something I never knew existed but now that I’m aware that it does it makes perfect sense. What a delightful thing

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

couldcareless posted:

My battery powered weed eater is busted. I think I'm done with the days of batteries on them and want to just look at a four stroke (really don't want a two stroke because I don't want to deal with mix). Any recommendations for something solid?

Can't really go wrong with Honda. I don't have a trimmer specifically, because I like Stihl (I mix gas anyway for the chainsaw, so my trimmer is two stroke too), but all their other small engines I've used are great. You get to (or have to, depending on your point of view) go through independent dealers; they don't sell in big box stores, which I prefer but depending on your circumstances may be less convenient.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

George H.W. oval office posted:

This tool is 100% something I never knew existed but now that I’m aware that it does it makes perfect sense. What a delightful thing
It rules, already completely cleared the mattress and some other pieces of furniture, it also snips stray threads and stitching short which is nice so they dont catch on something. However, it's for light depilling, anything heavier and it will clog up really quickly. I've been slowly using it to depill a very old sleeping bag that is absolutely coated in significant pills. After about 3 minutes of slow, methodical use, I have to disassemble the depiller and pill the thick fabric from the sleeping bag out of the blades, motor, etc.

Luckily, the entire assembly is roughly 5 pieces, and so cleaning is super easy, I just have to do it often with something as involved as this. Overall, I highly recommend it, it's cheap and even having trouble it's still getting the job done on something it's probably not designed to be used on

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
I have a Greenpan that I bought in April of 2019 that's starting to lose its non-stickiness so I'm in the market for a replacement. Is there any pfas-free non-stick cookware out there that's better?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Need to buy a new trash can that meets the following criteria:

1. Designed for indoor use
2. Holds 14-gallon trash bags or whatever "medium" is considered
3. Doesn't have a bunch of little nooks and crannies where fruit flies can get in and create all of their wonderful little larvae that I have to spend 20 minutes each trash day cleaning out of the trash can's lid.

Alternatively, any sort of in-home bait and/or trap that I can put near my trash can to kill off those little flies will do.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fruit fly traps are easy.

Take a small glass and put in some balsamic vinegar and a little bit of vodka.

Place some cling wrap across the top and poke in about 5 holes. Flies will go to it and drown.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Inzombiac posted:

Fruit fly traps are easy.

Take a small glass and put in some balsamic vinegar and a little bit of vodka.

Place some cling wrap across the top and poke in about 5 holes. Flies will go to it and drown.

Can I do any vinegar + alcohol or does balsamic + vodka just work the best? I have some 70% rubbing alcohol, but surprisingly no vodka (and I'm not giving these fuckers any of my bourbon)

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Alternatively, put a couple drops of dish soap into a small can or jar and use your finger to spread it around. Then add an once or two of apple cider vinegar and water in roughly equal amounts. The dish soap removes the surface tension of the liquid so as soon as the flies touch it they sink right to the bottom.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Any vinegar works but I have best results with balsamic.

The soap trick does work but I find alcohol to be more reliable.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

C-Euro posted:

Need to buy a new trash can that meets the following criteria:

1. Designed for indoor use
2. Holds 14-gallon trash bags or whatever "medium" is considered
3. Doesn't have a bunch of little nooks and crannies where fruit flies can get in and create all of their wonderful little larvae that I have to spend 20 minutes each trash day cleaning out of the trash can's lid.

Alternatively, any sort of in-home bait and/or trap that I can put near my trash can to kill off those little flies will do.

SImple human.

Pricey, but MAN they are quality trash cans.

You know how on most trash cans, you step on the little foot pedal to open the lid and it goes "WHAM" even though you tried to step on the pedal gracefully? None of that. Slow open and close lids, foot pedals that are the whole width of the can, sturdy so they stay put, and a little removable tray at the bottom so if a bag leaks, it catches it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Simple human cans are great, bags are great too. Worth the extra dime or whatever they cost to fit right and don’t tear / leak

Also, aren’t ugly as poo poo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

C-Euro posted:

Can I do any vinegar + alcohol or does balsamic + vodka just work the best? I have some 70% rubbing alcohol, but surprisingly no vodka (and I'm not giving these fuckers any of my bourbon)
just a little bit of apple cider vinegar and dish soap stirred up gently. I had a bag of potatoes go bad and a cloud of the bastards flying about everywhere, put a small cup of the stuff in the rooms they had congregated in and they were all gone within a couple days, an inch of fruit flies coating the bottoms of each cup. It works really well. It'll cost you like five bucks if that.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Are there any electric space heaters that work reasonably well outdoors that won't explode into flames/melt the power strip? I've been looking at propane ones but they are having stock issues and getting propane tanks up to my roof would be a pain in the rear end. I already have power ran up there, but remember electric space heaters being extreme fire hazards and not particularly powerful.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I want my place to smell nice. What are some good candle companies that aren't complete poo poo?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I want my place to smell nice. What are some good candle companies that aren't complete poo poo?

https://paddywax.com

I like these quite a bit!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

I mean...Great Value. Dozens of scents and $5 for a 14.5oz candle.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

OP said "good" and anything Wal-Mart is loving terrible.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

OP said "good" and anything Wal-Mart is loving terrible.
The candles smell nice. :shrug:

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Nature's Wick candles are nice and the wicks actually work unlike some other wood wick candles I've tried. They make nice little crackling sounds too.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I need a goddamn back massager. If it works on my neck that would be great too. Oh my god I am in constant pain

How can I even tell what a good back massager is? I got a kit that attaches a massage ball to a jigsaw but I immediately bent the part that connects to the jigsaw

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

signalnoise posted:

I need a goddamn back massager. If it works on my neck that would be great too. Oh my god I am in constant pain

How can I even tell what a good back massager is? I got a kit that attaches a massage ball to a jigsaw but I immediately bent the part that connects to the jigsaw

TheraCane
Foam Roller
Lacrosse Balls

Don’t use these for joint/disc pain, only seized/spasming muscles. If you’re not sure, go to a doctor or even chiropractor before you make things worse.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Lawen posted:

TheraCane
Foam Roller
Lacrosse Balls

Don’t use these for joint/disc pain, only seized/spasming muscles. If you’re not sure, go to a doctor or even chiropractor before you make things worse.

https://gochirp.com/
Got a set of these, and they're alright.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Lawen posted:

TheraCane
Foam Roller
Lacrosse Balls

Go to a doctor. Chiropractors are not real doctors.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

signalnoise posted:

You might try passive hanging until whatever you get comes in. It's a great way to relieve back and neck pressure that could be the result of tight muscles from sitting all day.

http://www.j2fit.com/articles/passive-hang-stretch

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have a Theracane and it's good. Have to be careful when you first get one not to exert too much pressure. I would love some sort of vibrating massager for my back but the only ones I've tried were so wimpy that as soon as you press them against your skin they start to lug, like the kind that slip over a chair so you can lean back against them.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Any hiking pole recommendations? Looking for a < $50 option that's not a Chinese brand that's a random jumble of letters.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

bamhand posted:

Any hiking pole recommendations? Looking for a < $50 option that's not a Chinese brand that's a random jumble of letters.

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/trekking-poles/trail-explorer-2-trekking-poles-BD112231_cfg.html#cgid=trekking-poles&start=27

I had their trail back series when I hiked the AT and swear by 'em. These are probably fine too. Black Diamond is a solid brand

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

bamhand posted:

Yes get these. r/ultralight and Andrew Skurka approved:

https://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Mountain-Tech-Trekking-Poles/dp/B00XM0YGW8?th=1

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

bamhand posted:

Cascade Mountain Tech Trekking Poles - Carbon Fiber Strong Adjustable Hiking or Walking Sticks - Lightweight Quick Adjust Locks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S4DRDNT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6P6yFbKGXQAAK

These are the best cheap carbon fiber poles w cork grips I’ve been able to find, just under $50. They also make aluminum poles for a little cheaper, but the reduced weight is worth it, imo. I spent a lot of time researching and if you want extendable/adjustable poles (as opposed to folding, pre-sized poles), this is the way to go if you want to go cheap. I’ve used them on multiple backpacking trips and am very happy with them.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I need to replace a handheld shower, I've been using this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015MMA1Q8/ and it's been fine, best water pressure I've found so far. I've no problems just ordering another as a replacement, but I wanted to check in with you all and see if I could find an upgrade.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

First time I've needed to buy snow boots in ages. Not planning to hike in them, just shoveling the driveway, walking the dog, stuff like that. Would prefer to keep it under $100. Any recommendations?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
here's a must-have product every single person should have on hand at all times.

https://smile.amazon.com/New-Skin-Liquid-Bandage-Ounce-Cover/dp/B0017JOF86/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=new-skin&qid=1602392960&sr=8-4

liquid bandage. brush-on, like rubber cement, but for your skin. This poo poo is absolutely excellent, and can significantly reduce scarring as well. check this out, so I hosed up using a new skill knife and cut my finger. It was so sharp that it just sliced right in from the base of the fingernail to the joint, about an eighth of an inch deep(which is QUITE DEEP for a finger cut). I immediately grabbed an alcohol swab pouch(another thing everyone should have ample supply of), disinfected the cut while it began to gush, squeezed it shut, wiped the blood away, and quickly put a decent layer of New Skin on it, then a second layer to reinforce it, then a third layer, then a fourth. I peeled it after two days and replaced it. It makes the location waterproof(but try to avoid getting it wet anyways as it can weaken the hold on the skin as the skin absorbs moisture) and holds the skin together, making it heal much faster. This is the cut after 4 days, after removing the second "shell" of New Skin:

(my nails are hosed thanks to Alopecia)

It itched like hell for a day or two, but that's because it was hard at work healing, and it is very close to being completely healed.

If you overapply it all at once, it can hurt/burn as the chemicals dry, so try not to go too hog wild when putting it on, but this poo poo is the absolute best for cuts. Just periodically reinforce the shell with a new layer so that it doesn't crack and fall apart, and you're golden. I had another cut not even 24 hours ago where I cleaned it and quickly glued it shut, and it's just a reddish line on my skin now. seriously, everyone should get at least one bottle of this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I had a wildly huge blister that I used that on and it was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. Like a hot brand on my heel.

Worked amazing though