Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I'm tired of layering three pairs of cheap gloves to go outside - I need a new, quality pair for the cold. Ideally wool, if possible. They don't need to work with touchscreens, although it would be convenient.
Does anyone have any suggestions, or at least any brands? It's surprisingly hard to find any reliable results online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I'm tired of layering three pairs of cheap gloves to go outside - I need a new, quality pair for the cold. Ideally wool, if possible. They don't need to work with touchscreens, although it would be convenient.
Does anyone have any suggestions, or at least any brands? It's surprisingly hard to find any reliable results online.

What is your actual use case here? Just walking around? Winter sports, etc? Shoveling snow? Etc.

Kinco 901 (or 901t if you want mittens) are great cheap all-arounders, but they are p ugly and bulky and you will have to apply beeswax annually to make them weatherproof.

Outdoor research storm trackers are good if you don’t need much insulation.

Personally, I don’t really like wool gloves because they easily get wet and are not very durable, particularly if you aren’t willing to wear them as liners. Others may have suggestions tho.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

These will be for general use. Pushing a stroller, walking, and shoveling snow mainly, but all my other gloves are so useless these will be used for everything "else" anyways.

I guess they don't have to be wool. I just have good experiences with my other wool items keeping me warm enough at any time.

I live in Michigan if that helps.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Having previously lived in the ‘Zoo, I’d recommend the Kinco 901 if you are okay with their looks.

E. Maybe size up and get a pair of wool liners with your savings

E2. Also, try searching/posting in the camping gear thread. I think someone just asked this question recently in there

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817829&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=112

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 06:54 on Dec 4, 2021

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Are any of the cheap (sub $50) wireless driveway alarms worth buying? Seems like there's a big jump from ~$30 units to $150+, which is more than I want to invest in such a niche feature. I just want something that pings me whenever a car pulls in. It's about 200 feet from my driveway to the house, so I don't need any of the super long range models.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

theflyingexecutive posted:

For a headlamp, I have a set of Love Beams, which are USB rechargeable and have a color selection mode, but have a real killer feature of dimming when you raise your head to talk to someone so they don't get blinded.
Ooh, these will be a perfect holiday gift for one of my friends, if I can get them shipped to me in time.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

DrBouvenstein posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for an entry level sewing machine? My GF has dropped more than a couple hints that's what she would enjoy for Christmas.

I don't know much of sewing machines, but I do know that it does not need to be able to do large things like quilts/blankets, nor anything like embroidery. Primarily hemming curtains and clothes, fixing rips and tears, and smaller sewing projects/patterns.

Get a Singer if you can.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Happiness Commando posted:

Are you sure you're using it correctly? The sharpmaker doesn't have guides, the round brass pieces are to keep your hands safe if the blade slips. The stones slide into the base at an angle and you're supposed to slice the knife down perfectly vertically. The edge angle comes from the angled stones.

The fact that you're supposed to freehand it is why I switched a a fauxpro. And then I donated that to a thrift store and now I just take my knives to a sharpening place once a quarter because they consistently get my knives sharper than I can do on my own.

Haha yeah I'm not using the hand protectors as guides. I guess I should have said semi-guided.

The base-piece locks in the stones at the correct angle and you just need to keep the knife perpendicular to the stone. So the only thing you need to do is keep the knife straight and the kit handles the rest.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What’s an average going rate for blade sharpening? The local restaurant supply place is like 8 bucks a blade which isn’t awful imo but it a bit much. Especially at one of the 3 I’d want done is a pairing knife and thus is damned small. Still, about $100 a year isn’t terrible.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

$1 an inch is a perfectly normal rate.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Yeah it makes a lot more sense when you consider how specialized that service is, how infrequently you're going to need it, and how much less you're paying for that compared to someone who needs that poo poo done for more than a hobby or something.

Try considering this perspective, too- Consider how much you personally get paid, and how much time it would take you, personally, to sharpen the same knife. Could you come even close to that rate? I could not, and I have sharpened a knife before.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh for sure, I’m not too worried about it. Though it does work out to be about a buck fifty an inch if I do the 4 blades I care about. Don’t mind paying them that, but I may shop around a bit more first next time. Might be able to cut a deal on some sheet pans or something so all is good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
flashlight trip report

this one:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R1Y7W3X

loving ABSURD. ABSOLUTELY LUDICROUS. It's like it shoots daylight! A perfectly focused beam of illumination wherever you point it, seemingly goes on forever. Only downside is that the batteries are not AA's or anything, they're like...jumbo AA's. not a real type of battery I don't think, so you can't supply your own. other than that, dirt cheap for how ridiculously powerful it is. just...just don't look at it by accident

this one:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K8H17QJ
decent baby flashlight. okay at close range, I can pee farther than it projects at a distance though. whatever distance they're claiming it lights up to is a lie. still, good for keeping in the car, pocket, purse, etc.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

The jumbo AA batteries are 18650s. They are used in vaporizers and you absolutely can get your own.

Edit: but you should be very loving careful about which (counterfeit) 18650 you buy. They will start fires.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Looking for decent underwear because Hanes has somehow gotten even worse. I have 2 pair of Ex Officio boxer briefs and theyre perfect but they were 25 dollars apiece. Is there anything slightly less costly I can get in a 5-10 pack for when I'm not going to be very active?

Edit: Ahhh screw it I'm just gonna buy 5 more EO's and get 1-2 a month until I have a giant collection of the perfect underwear.

Rolo has a new favorite as of 16:47 on Dec 7, 2021

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Rolo posted:

Edit: Ahhh screw it I'm just gonna buy 5 more EO's and get 1-2 a month until I have a giant collection of the perfect underwear.

That’s the way to go, I have like 10-14 pairs now. If it’s any consolation, they last forever. I have 7 year old pairs of EO that the fabric is just recently beginning to pill a bit but are still fine. Fwiw I machine wash them and hang them to dry (my Darn Tough socks, too).

E: REI sells them and if you’re a member, they send out 20% off coupons all the time.

Lawen has a new favorite as of 18:24 on Dec 7, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

DKNY has some microfiber-y modal-ish briefs/boxers that are quite comfortable and have lasted me for several years now. I need to sit down and order a few more sets. Iirc it’s the “micro stretch” line.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Rolo posted:

Looking for decent underwear because Hanes has somehow gotten even worse. I have 2 pair of Ex Officio boxer briefs and theyre perfect but they were 25 dollars apiece. Is there anything slightly less costly I can get in a 5-10 pack for when I'm not going to be very active?

I’ve had bad luck with EO the past couple years. Hem stitches failing very consistently within one or two wears. Customer service due to COVID was terrible when I tried to get them addressed. Sent in a pair for exchange, took over 6 months. Once I was able to get through to someone, the replacement pairs did the same thing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Lawen posted:

That’s the way to go, I have like 10-14 pairs now. If it’s any consolation, they last forever. I have 7 year old pairs of EO that the fabric is just recently beginning to pill a bit but are still fine. Fwiw I machine wash them and hang them to dry (my Darn Tough socks, too).

E: REI sells them and if you’re a member, they send out 20% off coupons all the time.

I am both a member and store credit card holder. I really like REI.

So I went in, got some underwear and a new Patagonia button down and some SmartWool socks and-

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

Thats the move. They frequently go on sale for ~$16, and I loaded up last time I saw them at that price.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I like these boxer briefs a lot. Never heard of the brand before, but they're airy and hold up reasonably well.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Rolo posted:

I've been getting mine for years from MeUndies and they've held up well. Much more expensive than the Hanes/FotL ones I used to get, but much higher quality.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Ex Officios are great but they’re hardly unique anymore. Columbia and other brands have the same design and pretty much the same material. I actually slightly prefer the Columbia ones because they seem more durable.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I looked up a couple of the underwear brands mentioned and saw wirecutter recommend these ones by Saxx

It doesn’t seem that comfortable really but for $32 it better be, that’s $16 per ball

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

My experience with saxx is that they develop holes in about 2 years. And there is no fly. I won’t buy any more

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

mlnhd posted:

And there is no fly

Well that part sounds good at least

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Snowy posted:

I looked up a couple of the underwear brands mentioned and saw wirecutter recommend these ones by Saxx

It doesn’t seem that comfortable really but for $32 it better be, that’s $16 per ball

Duluth Trading Co has a similar style that I tried a pair of and really didn't like it. But hey everyone has a different tackle setup so v0v

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

mlnhd posted:

And there is no fly.

My underwear always has a fly. And stink lines.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions for a power meter plug that isn’t huge? All the ones I’ve been able to find on Amazon have a screen and look very large. I want to use a dehumidifier in a specific room and was very curious to see how much energy it draws over a week.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Are dudes really sticking their dick through the fly to pee?

That seems like a hassle.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Inzombiac posted:

No but it adds another millimeter or so of bulk, which is always helpful

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

It can be helpful if you are wearing multiple layers in the cold (e.g. hiking/camping, winter sports, etc.), cause it can be kind of a pain in the rear end to pull all of your pants/leggings down rather than just putting your dick through the fly. Edge cases for sure, tho

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I’m genuinely confused. How is reaching in the fly and pulling your dick out in any way a hassle? It’s pretty easy. Definitely less of a hassle than unbuckling your belt and dropping trou.

Men’s underpants without a fly are an abomination.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Lawen posted:

I’m genuinely confused. How is reaching in the fly and pulling your dick out in any way a hassle? It’s pretty easy. Definitely less of a hassle than unbuckling your belt and dropping trou.

Men’s underpants without a fly are an abomination.

Look, you get bit by the zipper once, you go over the top instead. Plus there are super cute boxer briefs out there that don't have a fly so I'll just deal.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Takes so much longer to get in and out of the flap comfortably. I have no idea how some people seem to do it instantly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol, belts

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Glottis posted:

Takes so much longer to get in and out of the flap comfortably. I have no idea how some people seem to do it instantly.

I'm a drop and flop adherent but I'm pretty sure the open sesame is just a matter of practice and muscle memory.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

This topic is giving me deja vu. I feel like I’ve asked this question before, maybe in this very thread:

For those of you who pull down instead of using the fly, do you pull the waistband down so it’s between your dick and balls, do you pull it all the way down under your balls, or do you hold it down and out of the way with your 2nd hand? All seem flawed to me.

If you pull it halfway down so it’s between your dick and balls, doesn’t the elastic waistband press on your urethra and restrict your flow?

If you pull it all the way down below your balls, don’t your balls get cold, get splashback from urinals, or just make you feel ridiculous that you’ve taken your balls out to pee?

If you hold the waistband with your second hand, you can’t goof around on your phone while you piss. Unacceptable.

Please, help me understand your mysterious ways.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Lawen posted:

This topic is giving me deja vu. I feel like I’ve asked this question before, maybe in this very thread:

For those of you who pull down instead of using the fly, do you pull the waistband down so it’s between your dick and balls, do you pull it all the way down under your balls, or do you hold it down and out of the way with your 2nd hand? All seem flawed to me.

If you pull it halfway down so it’s between your dick and balls, doesn’t the elastic waistband press on your urethra and restrict your flow?

If you pull it all the way down below your balls, don’t your balls get cold, get splashback from urinals, or just make you feel ridiculous that you’ve taken your balls out to pee?

If you hold the waistband with your second hand, you can’t goof around on your phone while you piss. Unacceptable.

Please, help me understand your mysterious ways.

Waistband between the pinky and ring finger, or held down by the pinky and ring finger. I got 3 more fingers and a palm, and that's enough to handle a grip, 2 shoulder buttons, and a thumbstick. Surely, you can at least use chopsticks.

edit: NO PUN INTENDED

signalnoise has a new favorite as of 15:25 on Dec 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I undo my belt, button and fly then piss out the open area I made for myself. My balls don’t get cold because I’m only taking my dick out, why would I take my balls all the way out.

I cannot imagine pulling my dick through my zipper or pulling my pants down over my junk while they’re still fastened. What the hell is wrong with you people.