Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Chas McGill posted:

Does no one do the Thirsty Bird technique anymore?

NEVER do the thirsty bird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

m.hache posted:

I have a luxe 120 and a 180. The 180 just has a Feminine mode that has a second nozzle at a different angle. My wife says she never uses it. The 120 is the exact same model, minus the feminine mode.

They also have a toilet seat that you can get with it that is very nice too. Easily detachable and accounts for a bidet. Depending on your current seat, it may sit at a weird angle so you may also want to replace the seat.

I have the 180 and as a guy I use the feminine mode since for some reason the default mode can't reach my rear end adequately.

I'll probably upgrade to one with a built-in seat with better nozzle adjustments. Wish I can get the fancy one with the heated seat/water and a jingle but that will require me tearing the bathroom apart for easy outlet access.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

halokiller posted:

I have the 180 and as a guy I use the feminine mode since for some reason the default mode can't reach my rear end adequately.

I'll probably upgrade to one with a built-in seat with better nozzle adjustments. Wish I can get the fancy one with the heated seat/water and a jingle but that will require me tearing the bathroom apart for easy outlet access.

I haven't needed a cup of coffee in the morning since we installed one. Nothing wakes you up like that initial splash.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

tribbledirigible posted:

I haven't needed a cup of coffee in the morning since we installed one. Nothing wakes you up like that initial splash.

Just be sure to spit it out and not swallow.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

m.hache posted:

Just be sure to spit it out and not swallow.

Oh.

Oh no.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The Mrs. and I got one of those swanky Swash 1000s early in the pandemic and they’re a great upgrade if you can get power to it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I got something from my father in law for Christmas that I am currently getting use out of- light bulbs with a battery backup. I didn't know these existed, and I had never thought about them, but they make perfect sense and my power went out last night and they worked like a charm. They plug in just like a normal LED light bulb, and they charge just by being plugged in and turned on. My power went out last night and these light bulbs lasted about 5 hours, and because they were in a light fixture already, I didn't have to search for a flashlight in the dark.

I don't have a specific link, and I don't know if there's better or worse ones, but now you know this product exists, if you didn't before

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Welp, buying a pack of those immediately. We've got some flashlights that function like that but didn't even consider someone would take the next step and just do it with light bulbs. Thanks!

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

While that sounds good does that mean if the lights are off and the power goes out they turn on, or they need to have been on constantly before the power outage and they have something like a super capacitor in them? I don't expect you to know, necessarily, just trying to imagine how you'd turn them off if you wanted to.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Oddhair posted:

While that sounds good does that mean if the lights are off and the power goes out they turn on, or they need to have been on constantly before the power outage and they have something like a super capacitor in them? I don't expect you to know, necessarily, just trying to imagine how you'd turn them off if you wanted to.

It is simply an LED light bulb with a battery in it. LED light bulbs take up little enough electricity that a small battery shoved into the housing can power the light bulb for 5-6 hours. The battery is run in serial with the circuit, such that it charges when the light socket would normally receive power. When the light switch is turned off, the circuit is broken, so the light is turned off, and the battery also stops charging. When your house loses power, the circuit won't be receiving power from your house, but the light switch will still function to complete the circuit that includes the LED light bulb and its battery. So, when your power goes out, you will still have to flip the light switch, but the battery-powered light bulb that's connected to that light switch will have 5-6 hours of light in it.

The ones I got actually came with a little thing to socket them into that is basically just a hook with a button on it, so you can use it as just a portable light bulb on a hook. You could, if you really wanted to, just get a bunch and have a backup of like 10 charged light bulbs in your camper or whatever. It's just an LED connected to a battery with a fancy connector to interface with light bulb sockets.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Love it. Install those in a house you later sell. New owner needs some electric work done. Lots of flipping breakers and cursing.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I'm looking to have a couple d6es made with unique sides, preferably engraved but inked will also work. Four dice at the max. Does anyone have a preferred maker for such things?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I brought my Drake posted:

I'm looking to have a couple d6es made with unique sides, preferably engraved but inked will also work. Four dice at the max. Does anyone have a preferred maker for such things?

Do you need them to be fair?

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

signalnoise posted:

Do you need them to be fair?

Ish? They don't need to be balanced like a Vegas craps table but they can't be obviously weighted either.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Ish? They don't need to be balanced like a Vegas craps table but they can't be obviously weighted either.

Prefacing for this: I work with a convention that has sourced dice as merch and I had to deal with that

Well, since it's only 4 dice, and the weighting isn't super important, basically the question at that point is how important is it to you that they look a certain way? The reason I ask is because a lot of places that sell custom dice, poker chips, playing cards, that kind of stuff basically have the capability of selling a high quality product, but generally they don't give a poo poo about you for 4 units, or .004 units if they think of 1 unit being a box of 1000. They can say no minimum, but they're generally looking for the customer that is buying a sample of the product, or is buying very cheap stuff for prototyping. So, if you're prototyping, you could do the same with blank dice and stickers, and I'd recommend that.

On the other hand, if you want these to be *nice*, I'd recommend looking up some people on etsy or something. There are people making stuff that's really arty, and there's people making stuff that's 3D printed.

Personally if I had to pick a website to send you to, to just say "here these guys can make a product" it'd be https://www.boardgamesmaker.com/customized/custom-engraved-dice.html

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

Tbh I was hoping somebody had expertise in this sort of thing and could give me this kind of answer, so thanks. :) I'll dork around with my blanks and stickers for the nonce.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Tbh I was hoping somebody had expertise in this sort of thing and could give me this kind of answer, so thanks. :) I'll dork around with my blanks and stickers for the nonce.

I think there's a goon in the Aliexpress thread who makes their own resin dice, you might try there for advice. Or ask in one of the hobby threads if anybody does custom commissions.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If you have access to a sandblaster (from a makerspace or whatever), this should work without making things TOO inaccurate

A) Get some blank clear dice

B) Using tape, mask off the areas you want to remain transparent

C) hit the dice with a sandblaster, making the rest of the surface rough and opaque

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

If you're not fussy about the material, wood dice can be found various places (Etsy?) and could be carved or burned into.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Are there any especially good print on demand zip hoodies around?

I’ve hardly ordered any print on demand stuff, just a couple redbubble shirts. I’m looking to get 1-5 zip hoodies printed front and back and would love a good quality hoodie and printing.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Snowy posted:

Are there any especially good print on demand zip hoodies around?

I’ve hardly ordered any print on demand stuff, just a couple redbubble shirts. I’m looking to get 1-5 zip hoodies printed front and back and would love a good quality hoodie and printing.

My brother does his merch through printful and its fine.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Does anyone have recommendations for a multi-port usb-c charger that can deliver at least 45w/45w? Ideally 45/45/18 - basically, I want to charge my laptop, switch (or steam deck someday) and iPad at the same time. This is v close to what I want, but has been out of stock every time I've checked.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm looking for a travel messenger bag. My requirements are: not huge (my laptop is a 13" model), a water bottle holder, the luggage pass through on the back so I can put on rolling luggage.
I was looking at the timbuk2 commute messenger 2.0 but not sure if/when that one will ever be available again.
Budget isn't as much of a concern, but I likely won't be dropping $500+ on this.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Can anyone point me toward some high quality lens cloths? The very thick, smooth ones like you get packed in with nice sunglasses. I've ordered three different packs that ended up being thin alibaba-grade trash, so obviously I need some direction.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Anyone know of a quality but not asininely priced set of kitchen scissors/shears?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

travisray2004 posted:

Anyone know of a quality but not asininely priced set of kitchen scissors/shears?

What's asinine? There are a number of options that I've used in the $50 range that are perfectly serviceable and don't involve paying out the rear end for "shears made for the discerning customer from the bones of dead gods"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

travisray2004 posted:

Fiskars makes good "sharp thing" products and I don't consider their prices asinine, but YMMV. Like $15-$30 depending on model.

They've got several scissors, some marketed specifically as kitchen shears, and others that aren't but will will just fine as such.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

travisray2004 posted:

These have worked well for me: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000KILLXM/

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

travisray2004 posted:

UK links, because I'm a UK goon, but here are the ones I have that maybe you can find where you are:

Victorinox scissors

(If you want full-on shears for poultry you want something like this: Poultry secateurs)

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

travisray2004 posted:

Misen has a good pair that can be disassembled and are mad sharp, $15.

https://misen.com/products/kitchen-shears

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Any recs for sofa/loveseats (better than IKEA-tier) that could easily disassemble for those that frequently move? Only two I've seen: Floyd (not a fan of the design) and Campaign. I'm leaning towards the latter, but seeing if there are other makers to look for.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

halokiller posted:

Any recs for sofa/loveseats (better than IKEA-tier) that could easily disassemble for those that frequently move? Only two I've seen: Floyd (not a fan of the design) and Campaign. I'm leaning towards the latter, but seeing if there are other makers to look for.

Home Reserve https://www.homereserve.com/category/sofas

We got the Monroe sofa back in 2007, went through 5 moves, 2 dogs, and a baby. It was still kicking when we gave it away in 2015. It looks like the model we got was replaced by the Griffin.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Bought any fun Valentine’s Day gifts yet? Made up holiday blah blah blah, I like it :)

I’m looking for something for my gf. Just to give a very basic idea of her she’s into raising bees and metal detecting and all kinds of stuff like that. She’s also learning how to make a racing game in Unity.

It’s kind of late to be looking but if anyone has good ideas I’m interested

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I gave my wife the LEGO Flower Bouquet set last year and it was a hit. She doesn’t care about building LEGO so before I gave it to her I went ahead and put it together and put it in a nice vase with some flat glass marbles in the bottom to help hold stuff in place. It’s been a permanent fixture in our house since, it looks good. Seems to be out of stock on the LEGO site though.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Lawen posted:

I gave my wife the LEGO Flower Bouquet set last year and it was a hit. She doesn’t care about building LEGO so before I gave it to her I went ahead and put it together and put it in a nice vase with some flat glass marbles in the bottom to help hold stuff in place. It’s been a permanent fixture in our house since, it looks good. Seems to be out of stock on the LEGO site though.

That is a good idea! Too bad I only see it with the price jacked up. Might still be worth it.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Snowy posted:

That is a good idea! Too bad I only see it with the price jacked up. Might still be worth it.

They have a relatively new Bird of Paradise set. Not the most traditional V Day thing but I think it's pretty. I saw one on the shelf at Target last week so it shouldn't be too bad to find.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Shoot I’m gonna buy my own rear end some Lego flowers because I’m worth it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Lawen posted:

I gave my wife the LEGO Flower Bouquet set last year and it was a hit.

I got one of these on eBay and I think it’s going to be great, thank you

Humerus posted:

They have a relatively new Bird of Paradise set. Not the most traditional V Day thing but I think it's pretty. I saw one on the shelf at Target last week so it shouldn't be too bad to find.

These are also very cool but also out of stock it seems. The prices aren’t too inflated on eBay though, if anyones interested.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
we're trying to find a decent office chair for my wife, she's an accountant so in the springtime she basically lives at her desk full time.

do they make a decent desk chair that holds up to long term sitting for ~$250 new? i'm pretty sure that her only hope is to troll fb marketplace for a steelcase or a herman miller and her only response to that idea so far has been "ugh can't i just go buy one at a store."

if you guys have any other ideas i'd love to hear em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stalizard posted:

we're trying to find a decent office chair for my wife, she's an accountant so in the springtime she basically lives at her desk full time.

do they make a decent desk chair that holds up to long term sitting for ~$250 new? i'm pretty sure that her only hope is to troll fb marketplace for a steelcase or a herman miller and her only response to that idea so far has been "ugh can't i just go buy one at a store."

if you guys have any other ideas i'd love to hear em
The costco aeron knockoff is decent for $130: https://www.costco.com/bayside-furnishings-metrex-iv-mesh-office-chair.product.100522611.html

Also one of the Ikea office chairs is pretty good too.