Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

C-Euro posted:

Speaking of smells, how about a good mouthwash that doesn't make my mouth feel like poo poo in the morning?

What I have at home is Colgate Plax Fresh Tea mouthwash.

It's slightly minty but with a sweet green tea (? tastes kinda like iced tea) flavour that's really quite pleasant, as well as keeping everything feeling fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Speaking of smells, how about a good mouthwash that doesn't make my mouth feel like poo poo in the morning? What I mean by that is that I'm currently using Listerine Total Care (the purple stuff), which my dentist says is the most effective mouthwash on the market but in the morning my mouth feels like I've been out drinking a bunch the night before because the mouthwash is 20+% alcohol. Is there something I could be using that's just as effective but not as gross-feeling?

Wanamingo posted:

Act. Literally everybody go use Act.

Seconded. Act is a fluoride rinse and is good for your teeth as well as your gums.

Whether you choose Act or Listerine or some other kind of mouthwash, try to choose one without alcohol in it. It should say "alcohol free" or "sensitive" on the bottle. The alcohol isn't great for your tissues, long term.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

I like the Nivea Balm stuff..

I use this stuff as shaving cream and have never found anything better.

qerina
May 5, 2007

Chinaman7000 posted:

I will be trying out these tea ideas despite feeling let down by not having a single magic device that does this all for me with minimal cleaning.

My sister in law has (and loves) Mr Coffee Fresh Tea. I have no idea if it makes good tea or is easy to clean, theirs is filthy so I won't pour myself a glass.

He Who Wears Pants
Mar 18, 2007

Who's the 'King of Pop' now, bitch?

couldcareless posted:

Thinking about getting a universal remote. From what I understand, the logitech harmony series is the recommended product, but their line is pretty diverse, with prices ranging from $70 to $350. I know very little about good universal remotes so I'm not sure what sort of features there are in the higher end models that I would care enough about to drop a few hundred on vs $100.
Can anyone with more experience with the remotes give me any sort of advice on what I should shoot for?

I don't plan on using it for any sort of home automation, just a receiver and TV mostly but if it works for game consoles (ps3, 360, wii u) that's a pretty big plus.

Drogadon posted:

I have this one and it owns, goes down to $80 sometimes

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-996-...rds=harmony+hub

You set up the hub and then configure your devices and up to 6 "activities" where it turns on the devices and switches to the proper inputs, I have:

Cable box
Apple TV
4 port HDMI switcher with 360, PS4, Chromecast, extra HDMI cable for connecting the laptop or whatever

and can access each of these activities at the push of a button, also can control everything using either the remote or the app, it controls everything even the cheap monoprice switcher no problem and the hub comes with two IR dongle thingies if you want to hide any devices in cabinets.

A couple pages back, but I also have this one and can confirm that it owns. I originally had a Harmony remote with a screen, but the little function buttons next to the screen started to become nonresponsive to the point of unusability, it was finicky about recharging on its stand, and (minor quibble) you had to hold it pointed at the TV while it turned everything on in sequence. This one has a simple remote that's very slim and connected to a separate IR hub using wi-fi, you don't even need to point the drat thing at your TV at all. I placed my hub under my TV, and it doesn't have any line-of-sight issues from that location. You can also control it with a cellphone app if touchscreens are your thing, but I prefer the remote, as you don't have to unlock it, find the app and open it before you can change the volume or something.

And yes, it even works with my 360.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Ages and ages ago, when I was first getting into IT, there was a post somewhere in SH/SC jerking off about some particular brand of polos for IT work. Why do I remember it? I don't know. I wish I had saved that post, or at least remembered the brand name, but I didn't. So here I am.

I need to buy some polos. Good polos. Polos I can crawl around under a desk in. I'm currently wearing a gray golf polo with two runs in the fabric because I work in IT and the "athletic" fabric has a bad habit of snagging on metal corners and pulling out single threads. Not good. So I need a polo that can survive IT work. Any suggestions?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Looking for an easy to read timer/clock that displays seconds. I need something that can time out 2-5 minutes of rest between my workouts that I can read from 20 feet away and wouldn't require going over and punching a button between each set.

Ideally the display would look like this but it would cost 50 dollars less and be smaller: http://www.amazon.com/eHealthSource...s=digital+clock

Plugin preferred over battery powered.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

He Who Wears Pants posted:

A couple pages back, but I also have this one and can confirm that it owns. I originally had a Harmony remote with a screen, but the little function buttons next to the screen started to become nonresponsive to the point of unusability, it was finicky about recharging on its stand, and (minor quibble) you had to hold it pointed at the TV while it turned everything on in sequence. This one has a simple remote that's very slim and connected to a separate IR hub using wi-fi, you don't even need to point the drat thing at your TV at all. I placed my hub under my TV, and it doesn't have any line-of-sight issues from that location. You can also control it with a cellphone app if touchscreens are your thing, but I prefer the remote, as you don't have to unlock it, find the app and open it before you can change the volume or something.

And yes, it even works with my 360.

This looks like the one I need. No battery draining screen, simple sleek look, and console control is right on. Guess I'll put this on watch for a price drop

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
What are some powered headphones with a volume control that are relatively cheap and are hard to pull the cord loose at the headphone end? I roll around in my chair a lot and the cables tend to start tearing free after a while.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

couldcareless posted:

This looks like the one I need. No battery draining screen, simple sleek look, and console control is right on. Guess I'll put this on watch for a price drop

You can also just buy the fancy touch remote and pair it to the Hub if you ever do want to go all-in. The system is modular.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
I'm looking for a decent shower head. The one I have now doesn't have near enough pressure. I don't need anything super fancy. I looked on Amazon, but wanted to hear some other opinions.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Scruffy the janitor posted:

I'm looking for a decent shower head. The one I have now doesn't have near enough pressure. I don't need anything super fancy. I looked on Amazon, but wanted to hear some other opinions.

Get yourself a Niagara shower head. Easy to install. Great water pressure. Only 20 bucks. You're giving up the broad range of massage settings that many shower heads tout, but be honest with yourself. Do you ever really use more than one or two settings anyway? This will get the shampoo out of your hair.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Super Scissors are the best pair of scissors I've ever owned. You can get them for less than $4 at Harbor Freight and I've used them everywhere: kitchen, garden, upholstering, and plain old paper. They were originally marketed for paramedics to cut bandages and clothes off of people and it shows, they cut through everything from denim to leather to metal without getting dull.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
Can anyone recommend me a good bread machine?

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe
Alright so I'm surprised there's not a thread for this, but I am looking for a camera recommendation. My sister and my father both have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galax...g+galaxy+camera

and my girlfriend was really impressed with it. However, she is really only looking for a party camera, and she wouldn't use most of the features on there. The main things that she wants are the auto focus stuff which seems to be pretty basic (?) and the internet connectivity/ android OS. Are there any cameras that are a bit more basic and a bit less expensive that we should take a look at?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There's a point & shoot thread in the dorkroom. If I had to guess, that'd be the place for recommendations for things like that.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Scruffy the janitor posted:

On that note, can anyone recommend one of those rainfall showerheads?

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Wamdoodle posted:

On that note, can anyone recommend one of those rainfall showerheads?

I bought this one a few months ago and love it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003064FXY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The head doesn't come with an arm, so depending on what you are replacing, you probably need one of these too: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064TYE9Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still, overall ~$50 and it's pretty great. We have really good water pressure though, I imagine it wouldn't be all that great if you don't (I think that's probably true for any rainfall head)

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Hixalot posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good bread machine?

I'd check out the product recommendation thread in the Goons with Spoons subforum. It's pretty active (although you really need to preference with how much you are looking to spend with those guys, as they will sometimes recommend industrial/restaurant-level equipment).

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

1redflag posted:

I'd check out the product recommendation thread in the Goons with Spoons subforum. It's pretty active (although you really need to preference with how much you are looking to spend with those guys, as they will sometimes recommend industrial/restaurant-level equipment).

Will do, thank you.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.

Hummingbirds posted:

I'm trying to decide between getting a Kanken or Herschel backpack; any thoughts on durability or whatever? I like how the kankens look but they're twice the price.

I have a Herschel backpack, duffel, and wallet. One of the strap loops is coming off on one side of the backpack however I have brought it up a 11,000 ft mountain and through the Mojave Desert and it still hasn't come off. They also have a 1 year warranty. I recommend them wholly.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Julet Esqu posted:

Get yourself a Niagara shower head. Easy to install. Great water pressure. Only 20 bucks. You're giving up the broad range of massage settings that many shower heads tout, but be honest with yourself. Do you ever really use more than one or two settings anyway? This will get the shampoo out of your hair.

Thanks for this, I've been in the market for a new shower head for a couple of months.

What stuck out for me was the part that screws onto the pipe is metal, and the handle is oblong instead of round so it cannot spin after you hang it up. Pretty good pressure for a 2 GPM head too.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Sportman posted:

I bought this one a few months ago and love it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003064FXY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The head doesn't come with an arm, so depending on what you are replacing, you probably need one of these too: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064TYE9Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still, overall ~$50 and it's pretty great. We have really good water pressure though, I imagine it wouldn't be all that great if you don't (I think that's probably true for any rainfall head)

Thanks! I'll take a look :)

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

1redflag posted:

No advice, but I like your forthrightness.

Edit: I take that back, you could just make Sun tea. Simply get a large glass jar, put in a few tea bags (about 1 per 8floz), fill with room temp water, close the jar loosely, let sit in the sun 3-5 hours, add sugar if desired, enjoy.

If you can wait an extra hour or two, you can make much better tea in the fridge. Putting the tea in the sun doesn't really do much anyway:

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/07/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-sun-tea-forget-the-sun-cold-brew-tea-is-better.html

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

drat! Got another one. My blender just kicked the bucket. Anyone got a suggestion for a good blender that will stand up to crushing ice? I make a lot of smoothies but I don't need one of those one serve smoothie blenders.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

http://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Ultima-...asin=B00ESQ5DD6

This is like the go to poorman vita-mix. I got one on meh.come for $100 refurbished. They've been popping up on slickdeals.net a lot as well on various sites for decent deals.

So pretty much keep replacing lovely blenders, get a vitamix (or blendtec I guess), or get the one above. Some ok refurbished deals on vita-mixs on their site sometimes but still expensive as gently caress

The little smoothie cups are amazing as well for quick smoothies etc. Has a pulse setting that works good for crushing ice.

Nostalgia4Dogges has a new favorite as of 01:42 on Jan 21, 2015

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Ultima-...asin=B00ESQ5DD6

This is like the go to poorman vita-mix. I got one on meh.come for $100 refurbished. They've been popping up on slickdeals.net a lot as well on various sites for decent deals.

So pretty much keep replacing lovely blenders, get a vitamix (or blendtec I guess), or get the one above. Some ok refurbished deals on vita-mixs on their site sometimes but still expensive as gently caress

The little smoothie cups are amazing as well for quick smoothies etc. Has a pulse setting that works good for crushing ice.

Wow! Vitamix sure is proud of their blender :homebrew: Thanks for the suggestion :)

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
I work in an office and keep getting forwarded articles about how sitting is going to make me die real fast no matter how much I go to the gym. Can anyone recommend a program that'll pop up a reminder every 30-45 minutes to stop working, get up, and walk around for a bit?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Cornuto posted:

I work in an office and keep getting forwarded articles about how sitting is going to make me die real fast no matter how much I go to the gym. Can anyone recommend a program that'll pop up a reminder every 30-45 minutes to stop working, get up, and walk around for a bit?

An alarm? If you want something a little more techy, the Vivofit has a little bar tracker thing to alert you when you have been inactive for too long.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Cornuto posted:

You can use Windows Task Scheduler to set up a task that plays an MP3 every 45 minutes. For example, take an MP3 of your mother saying you have a cute penis using your first, middle and last name. Set up that task on someone else's computer.

Every 45 minutes you will get up for sure and you will get exercise.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Jmcrofts posted:

If you can wait an extra hour or two, you can make much better tea in the fridge. Putting the tea in the sun doesn't really do much anyway:

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/07/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-sun-tea-forget-the-sun-cold-brew-tea-is-better.html

Cool, thanks for the article!

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Cornuto posted:

The best way is to just request a standing desk from your office manager. I think I read that most american offices must comply with this request, due try disability reasons or something. It takes about two days to get used to it.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I want an amazing backpack in the $200 or less range. It has to have a pretty big main section (20" tall at least would be nice), and I want it to look cool. Anyone have suggestions?

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jmcrofts posted:

I want an amazing backpack in the $200 or less range. It has to have a pretty big main section (20" tall at least would be nice), and I want it to look cool. Anyone have suggestions?

What do you intend to do with this backpack? Is it for lugging your laptop and books around? Taking on a plane with clothes inside? Long distance hiking? Short distance hiking? There are a lot of options available.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Comatoast posted:

What do you intend to do with this backpack? Is it for lugging your laptop and books around? Taking on a plane with clothes inside? Long distance hiking? Short distance hiking? There are a lot of options available.

No outdoors stuff, I travel a lot and have taken to throwing all my poo poo in a backpack rather than carrying around a big suitcase. Clothes and random junk, no laptop though. I've been using the same $30 backpack for like 5 years and it's starting to fall apart.

E: this guy caught my eye but I'm open to suggestions.

Jmcrofts has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Jan 22, 2015

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Jmcrofts posted:

No outdoors stuff, I travel a lot and have taken to throwing all my poo poo in a backpack rather than carrying around a big suitcase. Clothes and random junk, no laptop though. I've been using the same $30 backpack for like 5 years and it's starting to fall apart.

E: this guy caught my eye but I'm open to suggestions.

How do you travel (plane, train, automobile?) and how many clothes and junk do you take when you travel. You mention carrying the contents of a big suitcase and then linked to a 6" deep bag. If you want to haul a bunch of stuff get a hiking pack like deuter or a messenger backpack from reload bags. I have bags from both and the deuter backpack (I have a regular speedlite30 one not a big hiking pack) is slim and can carry a lot without a sweaty back. The reload bag is a workhorse that has been in a few bicycle accidents and multiple international trips and is still going and is massive if you get the larger sizes.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Jmcrofts posted:

Hit the ? and check out my posts about the Osprey Porter line.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yo, hit me with your favorite kitchen items goons. Specifically things that make life easier

I have some decent ceramic knives, nice set of silverware, cutting boards, couple lovely pots and pans, nice bowls, and a nice blender plus some barebones poo poo like plates and a couple pots. Trying to cook more and eat healthy etc. Love making salads. Should probably invest in a good skillet.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Jmcrofts posted:

I got the Osprey Porter 46 recently on another goons recommendation and I love it. I used to live out of a duffel bag, but the porter is infinitely superior in every way (other than price).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Yo, hit me with your favorite kitchen items goons. Specifically things that make life easier

I have some decent ceramic knives, nice set of silverware, cutting boards, couple lovely pots and pans, nice bowls, and a nice blender plus some barebones poo poo like plates and a couple pots. Trying to cook more and eat healthy etc. Love making salads. Should probably invest in a good skillet.

If you don't have a few nice (I.e. $5) wooden spoons and a small and large cast iron pan , get those. I use them every single day. Also, a steamer insert for a 2qt pot is a good way to eat more green vegetables. I'd also recommend a cheap roasting pan and tray; you can cook a whole chicken for real cheap and it will last you a whole week (and be healthy).

Also, an electric kettle is super convenient if you have gas ranges, as boiling water on gas takes forever.