Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Don’t be like me and use that on a cat scratch/puncture. It was so deep that apparently I didn’t get it all cleaned out before covering it and my arm got all infected. I had to get an antibiotic prescription filled on a holiday... I should have just let it ooze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean, don't gently caress with cat scratches to begin with tbh

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah if you get a proper deep cat puncture wound just go straight to hospital, you'll probably end up there after a couple of days of trying oral antibiotics anyway. You're very lucky that you didn't end up needing that in your case. This doesn't apply to little shallow scratches that you'll usually get from pet cats who are mildly irritated or digging their claws in to jump off you or whatever but the proper bites that you get from cats who are absolutely not loving around.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Can anyone recommend me a good ultrawide curved 4k monitor? I’m looking for something with VESA mounting holes, and under 400$ preferably. I’m not going to be gaming on it, so I don’t need ridiculously fast refresh or response time, I just need more screen real estate for work stuff since I typically have a few dozen applications I need to use all at once and alt tab is sometimes hard to keep track of stuff, even on 3 monitors. I’d probably want an IPS or VA panel.

I was looking at this one, but not sure whether it’s worthwhile to wait until November or if there’s anything good on sale with prime day junk

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Organza Quiz posted:

Yeah if you get a proper deep cat puncture wound just go straight to hospital, you'll probably end up there after a couple of days of trying oral antibiotics anyway. You're very lucky that you didn't end up needing that in your case. This doesn't apply to little shallow scratches that you'll usually get from pet cats who are mildly irritated or digging their claws in to jump off you or whatever but the proper bites that you get from cats who are absolutely not loving around.

Yeah, I had cat scratch fever/disease (not just a lovely Ted Nugent song) when I was around 11 from a deep cat scratch or bite.

Swelled a lymph node in my leg after it got into my lymphatic system and I had to have surgery to get it removed.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
got a weird ask. I'm trying to find a MP3 player, that has no wireless capabilities whatsoever. I had a AGPTEK G15, and it sucked and is dead, after like 3 months.

No built in camera, and no microphone. Honestly, something like the iPod Nano, but I want to be able to have playlists and what not. Bluetooth is acceptable, but not required.

I was thinking of getting another AGPTEK, but if it's just going to constantly die .. no thanks.

I had a 200gb iPod classic, that'd be perfect. It's dead. Those are going for insane $$$ on ebay. Well, I just looked and they're not stupid expensive, but I'd prefer to having something new.

Any ideas, friends?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone have a favorite iPhone waterproof case/headphone solution? I'd like to do a little lap swimming while listening to podcasts but don't want to risk water damage to the phone. I know they have some sort of certification but it seems risky to overrely on it.

(Bonus points if the headphones are comfortable and come with tiny tips - apparently I have tiny ear canals so I either need something with the form factor of regular iPhone headphones or the in-ear ones with like super small tips, or headphones get uncomfortable and fall out.)

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

blight rhino posted:

got a weird ask. I'm trying to find a MP3 player, that has no wireless capabilities whatsoever. I had a AGPTEK G15, and it sucked and is dead, after like 3 months.

No built in camera, and no microphone. Honestly, something like the iPod Nano, but I want to be able to have playlists and what not. Bluetooth is acceptable, but not required.

I was thinking of getting another AGPTEK, but if it's just going to constantly die .. no thanks.

I had a 200gb iPod classic, that'd be perfect. It's dead. Those are going for insane $$$ on ebay. Well, I just looked and they're not stupid expensive, but I'd prefer to having something new.

Any ideas, friends?

You can probably get a new battery super cheap for your iPod and repair it if you were inclined.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

m.hache posted:

You can probably get a new battery super cheap for your iPod and repair it if you were inclined.

Not a bad idea. It died a while ago, so it probably needs a new battery. But it seemed like the HD went bad, it'd just click and click.

Annnd it looks like I may have lost it, but I'll have to dig around. Thanks for the suggestion, though! :)

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

blight rhino posted:

Any ideas, friends?

Have you looked at the SanDisk Clip Jam? I've had several different Clips over the years and they're all pretty solid for basic no-frills MP3 playback.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

blight rhino posted:

Not a bad idea. It died a while ago, so it probably needs a new battery. But it seemed like the HD went bad, it'd just click and click.

Annnd it looks like I may have lost it, but I'll have to dig around. Thanks for the suggestion, though! :)

If you're hearing clicking it's likely dead, however I have seen some mods out there to put a flash memory card into it.

https://www.alphr.com/audio/1001325/how-to-revive-your-old-ipod-classic-with-an-ssd/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

blight rhino posted:

Any ideas, friends?
I've ben using my original 2nd gen (I think) ipod nano since I originally bought it whenever it first came out, it's got no extra frills but lets you make playlists through iTunes or whatever you connect it through. You can probably find one for 30 bucks, and if necessary a replacement battery for a pittance. Mine's original battery still lasts about 4 hours which is perfect for work, I charge it during lunch. I'll see if I can get you some links later if you want, but imo this is the sort of product that was from before the "intentional obsolescence" style of design because it still does everything you need it for and can take a serious beating on top of that. It's only 4 gigs but that equates to a solid 2 days of music or podcasts, so that should be good enough, right?

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

blight rhino posted:

Any ideas, friends?

I got a first generation Fiio X1 when I had similar requirements and wanted an mp3 player that I could listen to while working in a secure lab which wouldn't allow most personal electronics in. As a player it was pretty great, plays basically all formats with excellent sound quality, and the battery lasted me about a month between needing to charge it so no complaints there. My only complaint is that the interface was a bit poo poo, however it would play playlists I made in Foobar just fine so I'd just shuffle one of those when I was using it.

I just turned it on and it's still going, I think it's been sitting in a drawer for about a year since the last time I used it and the battery still has a charge! The second generation looks mostly the same, so might be an option to look in to.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good ultrawide curved 4k monitor? I’m looking for something with VESA mounting holes, and under 400$ preferably. I’m not going to be gaming on it, so I don’t need ridiculously fast refresh or response time, I just need more screen real estate for work stuff since I typically have a few dozen applications I need to use all at once and alt tab is sometimes hard to keep track of stuff, even on 3 monitors. I’d probably want an IPS or VA panel.

I was looking at this one, but not sure whether it’s worthwhile to wait until November or if there’s anything good on sale with prime day junk

Ultrawides generally aren't 4k, they're 1440p or less. Have you considered a 40-43" 4k IPS tv? Something like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0817LKC2S? I use a 1440 ultrawide for work, and it's great to have the width, but sometimes it would be nice to have additional height too.

Baby Proof has a new favorite as of 18:05 on Oct 16, 2020

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Baby Proof posted:

Ultrawides generally aren't 4k, they're 1440p or less. Have you considered a 40-43" 4k IPS tv? Something like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0817LKC2S? I use a 1440 ultrawide for work, and it's great to have the width, but sometimes it would be nice to have additional height too.

Sorry, 4k is bad terminology, I just meant higher screen resolution than the 1080 monitors I’m currently stuck with. I find myself needing the additional screen real estate. “Ultra QHD” is I guess the name of what I’m looking for.

I’d love to do a TV, but I need something narrow and wide because my desk is under a bunk bed in the spare room and I used the bed to mount some dropdown monitor swivels so that I can flip them up out of the way to work on stuff, eg

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I have no helpful info but that’s a cool work area

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
Thanks for all the recommendations! I have yet to decide on a player, but I knew I should of come here first. you guys rock.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Where is your periscope?

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I'm after a cat/pet food timer.

I've tried these variations:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mate-C500-Automatic-Pet-Digital/dp/B01AUYLVU8/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=cat+food+timer&qid=1603200107&sr=8-6
and
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Aut...03200107&sr=8-5

However, the cats figured both of them out fairly fast and were able to open them themselves. So I'm looking for something that doesn't have any locking mechanisms accessible from the outside.

It only needs to be able to hold enough for one meal and it's for wet food so those tower dispensers for kibble won't work. I'm not too worried about price tag unless it stupid expensive.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’m looking for the comfiest possible men’s house slipper. Especially since I’m working from home these days, I’d love something I can comfortably wear all day. They should be light and and soft and keep my feet toasty when it’s cold.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My wife got me a pair of the Ugg Men's ascot slippers for Christmas last year and they are fantastic but a bit pricey. I like how the bottoms are a pretty solid rubber so going out to check the mail or putting the dogs out isn't gonna get me a wet slipper.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Below freezing weather and snow has hit where I live, and my hands instantly dried up like a desert. 4 of my knuckles are split and bleeding.

I've tried Eucerin hand cream, and a few others, but nothing is helping. Any recommendations for a really good or restorative hand cream? I had decent results with O'Keefe's foot stuff, is their hand cream good too?

Otherwise, I drink a lot of water, not sure how to prevent dry skin like this.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

The heavier duty eucerin stuff for eczema can help, otherwise aquaphor is nice. Could also try something from Cerave.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Captain Lavender posted:

Below freezing weather and snow has hit where I live, and my hands instantly dried up like a desert. 4 of my knuckles are split and bleeding.

I've tried Eucerin hand cream, and a few others, but nothing is helping. Any recommendations for a really good or restorative hand cream? I had decent results with O'Keefe's foot stuff, is their hand cream good too?

https://www.neutrogena.com/products/norwegian-formula-hand-cream/6801300.html you might want the unscented version. Consider buying a humidifier.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have a separate pantry for once in my life and I'm stocking it with dry goods.

One special thing is I want is a bunch of actually good instant/pot noodles.

Who sells the good poo poo that will ship to America? Japan has crazy-good stuff but I can't find them for a reasonable price.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Captain Lavender posted:

Vaseline makes a couple of different creams that share a lot of ingredients. I’ve used the Problem Skin Therapy cream for about five or ten years now:

https://www.vaseline.com/ca/en/products/lotions-and-moisturizers/vaseline-lotion-therapy.html

But I just picked up the Clinical Care cream, hoping it’ll be as good or better:

https://www.vaseline.com/ca/en/products/lotions-and-moisturizers/vaseline-lotion-overnight.html

My dermatologist told me decades ago to avoid lotions, as they’re based around alcohols (which have a drying effect). Creams are based around water (which have less of that effect), and ointments are based around oils (which take longer to dry).

The Vaseline creams I linked contain some petrolatum, so they don’t dry out as fast, but I find they also don’t feel greasy (which you might expect from something containing a lot of oil).

Skin care is definitely one of those things you have to dial in yourself, though. I’ve tried stuff that worked for one person that never ended up working for me. Good luck.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

I have a separate pantry for once in my life and I'm stocking it with dry goods.

Who sells the good poo poo that will ship to America? Japan has crazy-good stuff but I can't find them for a reasonable price.

Try “Indo Mie” brand of “Mi Goreng” noodles. They have three liquid packs, a dry seasoning pack, and a tiny pack of fried onions.

I can find them at most grocery stores in Canada, including Walmart, so Walmart USA might stock them.

They don’t have all the extra veggies and meat bits that you can get from Nissan Cup Noodles, but they’re pretty drat tasty.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Captain Lavender posted:

One of my friends has terrible eczema on his hands and his solution has been to stop taking warm showers. For real, he only takes cold showers now.

But he still has eczema (though it is slightly better) so probably wouldn't recommend that course of action.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Lavender posted:

Captain Lavender posted:

I have prescription strength skin cream that really helps with cracked and split skin, it's called like, Triamcinolone or some poo poo.

For non-prescription, Workers Hands Cream has done well for me too, so you could try that yeah.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Captain Lavender posted:

I struggled for many years with this problem and tried pretty much everything. Gold Bond Ultimate Healing with Aloe has been the absolute winner. It comes in an unscented version, and doesn't leave my hands feeling greasy. I bought a small tube to keep at work and between that and being very careful when drying my hands after washing them things have been so much better.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Captain Lavender posted:

I've got the same problem and there's a magic product a friend of mine who's a nurse suggested to me a few years or so ago. It's just called Formula 2. Order it online. Changed my fuckin life. You still gotta apply the stuff before you go to bed and let it really sink in your hands overnight but it's better than even Vaseline.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
For hands the toughest stuff I used was MG217, it smells weird and it has a Vaseline like consistency. Put on a goopy layer then some cotton gloves before bed, buy a reasonably sized box of cotton gloves because they will get ruined with the smell as well.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Wow. That's a lot to work with, thank you all. Going to check these out.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Inzombiac posted:

I went on the hunt for really good instant noodles not too long ago and tried a bunch of different ones...

experienceBeej posted:

Try “Indo Mie” brand of “Mi Goreng” noodles. They have three liquid packs, a dry seasoning pack, and a tiny pack of fried onions.

These are good, I like the BBQ Chicken the most of the flavors I’ve tried. And you can get them from Amazon.

Nongshim Shin Black are very solid and are the best that my local grocery stores carry (also on Amazon).

The best dried noodles that I’ve found so far are Itsuki brand. The price reflects the quality at nearly $6/pack but at least each pack is a double serving. All 3 flavors in that linked variety pack are great.

The very best that I’ve had are Sun Noodles. A chef friend was running a ramen special and ordered a bunch of their noodles (made his own tonkotsu broth) and got me hooked. Apparently these are the noodles that Momofuku and a bunch of other really good restaurants use. BUT they’re fresh noodles and aren’t shelf stable, so if you’re looking to stock your new pantry they probably aren’t what you’re looking for. They’ll last 2-3 weeks in the fridge or up to a year in the freezer though.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Inzombiac posted:

You want Prima Taste Laksa La Mian. Singapore Curry is another great flavour too. This stuff is incredible. Pricey as ramen goes but you'll understand why when you open the package. And the taste/texture... omg.

Nongshim in general is a very quality brand - I cant speak for their shin ramyun or shin ramyun black that everyone swears by but their veggie soon flavour also owns.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thanks for all the noodle recs. I bought some of everything an will test them out soon.

I love having a pantry and can't wait to fill it up like I'm afraid the government is going to mind control us through Lunchables or whatever.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
The nature of the world lately is such that having enough food on hand to be able to go "I think I will eat x today" and being able to just make it feels weirdly luxurious, I find, yeah.

Nice ramen is nice to have around because it's always comforting to eat but easy to make. Wonderful for those anxiety days, lol

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Any good at home air filters? I've used a few cheap ones over the years that all don't do a thing. Being home all year has just made me super aware of the dust/hair/fur that piles up in every corner and I need to pick up something that will actually work and not rely on stupid proprietary filters that disappear when the vendor moves on.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Nephzinho posted:

Any good at home air filters? I've used a few cheap ones over the years that all don't do a thing. Being home all year has just made me super aware of the dust/hair/fur that piles up in every corner and I need to pick up something that will actually work and not rely on stupid proprietary filters that disappear when the vendor moves on.

I've been using a Coway AP-1512HH since the California wild fires started and it's been very good to me. I live in a super old building and there are a lot of cracks in the windows, the purifier has kept the air very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

obi_ant posted:

I've been using a Coway AP-1512HH since the California wild fires started and it's been very good to me. I live in a super old building and there are a lot of cracks in the windows, the purifier has kept the air very good.

I also got a Coway (maybe that same exact model) and also live in southern CA with all the fires. It has been great.