Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm going overseas in a week and change to spend Christmas with my fiancee's family in Thailand. Any recommendations on a good wall outlet adapter & voltage converter? I was putzing around Target earlier looking at some and they all warn you "do not use this device with anything containing circuitry or LED/LCD screens", which on its face seems like really bad design since I have to imagine a lot of people are using these to charge stuff like smartphones, tablets/laptops, or handheld game consoles (unless I'm reading that wrong?). This probably won't be the last time I'll be over there either, so something that's built to last and/or easy to transport would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Christoff posted:

Just a cheap generic one works fine -

http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-Univ...gn+wall+adapter

If you're using basic electronics you don't need an actual "converter" just an adapter. Almost all power anything will convert the electricity itself. Laptop plugs, USB phone chargers, etc. It should say "Input: AC100v-240v"

Seriously. I can't think of anything that doesn't have "Input: AC 100v-140v" on it. Maybe an actual game console power adapter or something really old?

Times must have changed since the last time I went over there, I double-checked and my USB phone charger does do 100-240. Thanks for making me look again, my 3DS charger doesn't convert but I can pick up a USB cable for that and use my phone plug (and I shouldn't even be taking my 3DS in the first place but ~foreign Streetpasses~)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Christoff posted:

I find it hard to believe that a new device like the 3DS won't do it. Check google? Does it use a generic micro Usb cable so you can just use any charger?

It has its own proprietary plug to go into the system along with the standard flip-out plug that the GBASP and DS had, but they sell male USB-male 3DS cables for a few bucks so I just grabbed one of those.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Another travel item question - does anyone have a battery-powered electric razor they're fond of? The cradle for my razor doesn't convert voltage and it doesn't make sense to buy a voltage converter for one item. At the same time, I haven't shaved with a manual razor in years and don't feeling like having a gashed-up face when meeting all of my fiancée's family as I struggle to remember how to do it properly. I think last time I went I had an old bikini trimmer I used but there has to be a better, guy-specific option, right?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Christoff posted:

The Norelco ones are pretty much the best you can get. Just see how fancy you want to get and what options you want

I have this one which is nice because you can use it in the shower and wet/dry

Philips Norelco PT730/46 Shaver 3500 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JITDVCI/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_AbkIub1RS29V2

But if you don't mind stubble or a well kept beard and just want to maintain

Philips Norelco BG2040/34 Bodygroom 7100 (Packaging May Vary) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037HP9OA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_edkIub0C005MD

I meant batteries as in AAs and such, but I lucked out and grabbed the last travel electric razor at the store. I'm probably due for a razor upgrade sometime soon though, so thanks for those!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What is the best, most effective hand moisturizer available in the U.S.? If you aren't paying attention it is cold as gently caress here in Chicago (and everywhere else), and my hands always get dry and chapped when it's cold out. This winter it's bad enough that my skin has cracked to the point of bleeding in a few spots, but every lotion I have either needs a lot applied to be effective (and leaves my hands and greasy) or needs to be reapplied every 15 minutes. Maybe I need some sort of skin repair lotion instead, so if you have one you like please let me know about that as well.

Julet Esqu posted:

My blender broke! It was a lovely Food Network blender that somebody gave me as a gift. Now I would like to take this opportunity to get something less lovely.

I actually just bought a Ninja blender today (the 900 watt version) at Target on sale for under $100, I've only used it once but it was great and much easier to clean than the last one I had. I also think I started that blender convo in GWS if you haven't gone there to ask, they all told me to get a Vitamix blender but those run $500 new which is insane to a relative cooking novice like me. They did say you can get refurbished ones for ~$300 which is still a little crazy to me, if you have the money get one and let me know how much I missed out.

C-Euro has a new favorite as of 00:48 on Jan 11, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the O'Keeffe recommendation, stuff is legit even though my fiancee says it smells.

Speaking of smells, how about a good mouthwash that doesn't make my mouth feel like poo poo in the morning? What I mean by that is that I'm currently using Listerine Total Care (the purple stuff), which my dentist says is the most effective mouthwash on the market but in the morning my mouth feels like I've been out drinking a bunch the night before because the mouthwash is 20+% alcohol. Is there something I could be using that's just as effective but not as gross-feeling?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Who's got a screen protector that they particularly like for a Galaxy S tablet (10.5"), or a brand of screen protectors they prefer?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Does anyone have a bug zapper lamp they particularly enjoy? The hallway to my new apartment is a weird covered outdoor walkway, and due to inner-city laws we can't put our garbage on the street until the night before garbage day so we essentially have to leave it in this open tunnel leading to our apartment until then. Now we've got flies hanging around and they have to die before they sneak into our apartment, any advice?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I want to get my wife some nice slippers for Christmas. For stuff that she wears in order to keep warm, fuzzier and fluffier on the body contact side is better. Bonus points if they are fluffy on the outside As well, and also if they can be bought in a physical store (but that's not a requirement). Let's say $100 max budget but who the heck makes $100 slippers?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mushinronsha posted:

There are definitely $100 slippers, here's a good review of some of the best ones http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-slippers/

Thanks for this, went and ordered the LL Bean ones due to the fluffiness.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Do they make wireless doorbells? Our "front door" is a gate leading to a hallway that leads to our door, so we have no idea when people come to our front door unless they call. This is an issue when we have deliveries. I don't want to have a wired one because it's all brick and concrete through that hall and I can't drill it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is there a standing desk setup that won't ruin my bank account, or should I just bring some old textbooks from home and stack everything up on those? I really hate sitting at my desk at worm but every time I think about getting a standing desk they're always so expensive :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Gyshall posted:

What is your budget? I was able to cludge a nice workstation together from Ikea for sub $100 - go there and check out the table legs, then grab a surface or two.

$100 and cobbled together from IKEA stuff is doable, what's your setup? My only issue is having two monitors but I thry can elevate on their own to an extent.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Anyone want to recommend some booties/mittens for a 25ish pound dog (Corgi)? Whenever I walk my dog on cold enough days he'll occasionally limp for a bit or stop and pull one paw up off the ground, presumably due to the cold or getting road salt in his paw, which makes walking him in the winter annoying at best. However, the set I bought at the local pet store don't really stay on his feet which kind of defeats the purpose IMO.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Anyone want to weigh in on Casper vs Leesa mattresses? Wife and I are interested in replacing our main mattress with one but I don't know much about either outside of podcast ads, and both sound great.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Anyone want to recommend a screen cover & case for a Pixel phone?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

lowcrabdiet posted:

I made a post years ago about this air filter:

I looked after a cat for a year and there would be so much cat fur stuck at the inlets so I know it worked pretty well for cat fur/dander, at least.

edit: This updated model looks like an evil robot if that's your aesthetic. And this one looks like it belongs in an evil villain's lair.

Hey thanks for these, my wife and I were actually talking the other day about ways to cut down on dust and pet hair for our new apartment. She has dust allergies that get really bad if her hormones go up so I'm hoping something like this will help her out.

Is there a smaller one I could stick in a small bedroom, to at least cut down on dust present when we're sleeping?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've been told to buy a jump rope ahead of the weight training class I'm doing tonight, what is a good exercise jump rope I could buy at Dick's on my way home from work?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What's a good multi-device charging station? Wife wants a central spot to charge our two phones (Samsung Galaxy S6 and Google Pixel XL) and one tablet (Galaxy Tab 2). She'd prefer wireless but wired is fine if there's a large price discrepancy, though I honestly have no idea if the Pixel supports wireless charging and doubt the tablet can be charged wirelessly.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

signalnoise posted:

After looking at many devices that were designed to hold phones while charging, I found that you can get better items that are cheaper if you are willing to modify a remote control organizer designed for a coffee table. Try looking there?

I didn't even know remote control racks were a thing. What'd you end up doing?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Welp, pretty sure my headphones fell out of my pocket at the store and now they're gone. Please give me your best/favorite headphones that meet the following:

Wired
Ear buds (in-ear is fine)
Have an in-line mic and start/stop button
$35-40 price point

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What can I put on my hardwood stairs to provide extra grip? My corgi struggles with them sometimes and I'm hoping to give him some more traction going up and down the steps. I also can't do anything too drastic as we are renting our current place.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Anyone have window/standalone AC unit they're particularly fond of?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

MrDeSaussure posted:

If you can avoid these type by any means, do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-mBeYC2KGc

Bummer! I was leaning towards a portable unit since we can run it downstairs while we're working and then upstairs with us when we go to bed, but yeah they're much pricier and I guess less efficient?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm looking for a good chargeable jumper kit for a car, preferably one I could pick up from a Target or Wal-Mart or other big box store rather than having to wait for a delivery.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Need to buy a new trash can that meets the following criteria:

1. Designed for indoor use
2. Holds 14-gallon trash bags or whatever "medium" is considered
3. Doesn't have a bunch of little nooks and crannies where fruit flies can get in and create all of their wonderful little larvae that I have to spend 20 minutes each trash day cleaning out of the trash can's lid.

Alternatively, any sort of in-home bait and/or trap that I can put near my trash can to kill off those little flies will do.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Inzombiac posted:

Fruit fly traps are easy.

Take a small glass and put in some balsamic vinegar and a little bit of vodka.

Place some cling wrap across the top and poke in about 5 holes. Flies will go to it and drown.

Can I do any vinegar + alcohol or does balsamic + vodka just work the best? I have some 70% rubbing alcohol, but surprisingly no vodka (and I'm not giving these fuckers any of my bourbon)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Mom's asking for a yoga mat for Christmas, what are the good brands? I don't mind going a little expensive since she's going to be a little sad when I tell her I'm not traveling for Christmas.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
It's pretty late to be buying a Father's Day gift, but apparently my dad is interested in some sort of pet camera so he can see the cat when he and my mom go out of town. Any recommendations?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Six years ago I fished a 500 Series Roomba out of my neighbor's trash and refurbished it. Today I think she's breathed her last, or at least finally has an issue that I cannot repair or replace myself (dust inside of the cliff sensors that I can't remove). Anyone want to recommend a robot vacuum for hardwood floors used by two adults and a little dog?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Looking for an enclosure for reading data from an NVMe SSD (the little thin SSDs, whatever they're called). Is there one particular good one or are they all pretty much the same?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Doing a weekend getaway with a two-month old baby, and his usual bassinet is too big for us to bring along. Anyone have any sort of travel-friendly sleep setup for a baby that young?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Looking for something like a futon or fold-out bed to put in my basement for two people to sleep on, preferably something that I can assemble and disassemble so I can actually get it up and down the stairs to said basement. Would also consider something like a raised platform that I could put an air mattress on.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The microwave that was in this house when we moved in is toast, tell me why I should buy your favorite microwave. Bonus points if it's Maytag with that brushed metal finish so it will match our other appliances.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thanks, I assume that holds true for over-range units?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
My mom is dropping hints about wanting a miniature photo printer for her birthday, something that connects to her phone. Anyone heard of these and have one that they like?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Probably not the first time this has come up, but does anyone have a collapsible standing desk (or sitting desk I suppose) that they really like? Going to start working in my bedroom on days when we have a sitter over to watch our kid, but I want something that can be stored when I'm not working up there. Only needs to be large enough to fit a laptop and a mousepad.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Looking for a handheld microphone and speaker combo that can be paired with each other over Bluetooth. The speaker doesn't have to be big, and preferably something that can be bought on Amazon so I can smoke some store credit. If a combo doesn't work, then just a handheld mic that can be paired with the little Bluetooth speaker that I already own (but I'd prefer a pair that are already set up to work with each other).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
It's for a pop-up lecture that my wife is doing, she needs a way to amplify her voice that can fit into a large purse or work bag.