Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Looking for an easy to read timer/clock that displays seconds. I need something that can time out 2-5 minutes of rest between my workouts that I can read from 20 feet away and wouldn't require going over and punching a button between each set.

Ideally the display would look like this but it would cost 50 dollars less and be smaller: http://www.amazon.com/eHealthSource...s=digital+clock

Plugin preferred over battery powered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Etrips posted:

Need a recommendation on some sort of lamp / bulb something to use at my computer desk to simulate daylight. I work third shift and normally try to stay up on my off days during my third shift hours to keep a consistent sleeping pattern. However, the problem I am having is that if I have an exhausting day at work and end up sleeping in an extra hour or two, by the time I wake up the sun has already set and my body goes to crap and wants to just go back to sleep.

tl;dr - need something to simulate day light for my computer desk.

Also would love a computer desk recommendation.

If you haven't already, you can get the program flux that automatically adjusts your monitor to match sunlight i.e. bluer light during the day and warmer orange tones during the evening. You can adjust the time offset so it's "day" during the night. Won't replace your need for a light at your desk but it might help a little.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Sneeing Emu posted:

I hadn't thought of it that way, good point. Herman Miller here I come!

We have Aeron's at work and they're pretty comfy but I wouldn't pay 600+ for a new one. 300 ish sounds good though.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I got a magic wallet last year and it's held up fine so far. Not sure how sturdy it is over years and years but it's super compact and the gimmick is actually kind of useful. Plus it was ten bucks so I wouldn't really care if it broke in a couple years.

http://www.amazon.com/YCM0101-Wallet-Credit-Wedding-Available/dp/B0091CVUUW/ref=pd_sim_a_12?ie=UTF8&refRID=07V6BCRD6EW31ACDZJ9A

There are also a bunch of variants without the magnetic clip etc.

bamhand has a new favorite as of 16:09 on Apr 8, 2015

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

m.hache posted:

Weird request,

I have $30 to Amazon.ca. Any recommendations for ANY product around that price point that you use. I'm curious to see what useless/awesome crap I don't have in my life that goons will come up with.

I was pretty satisfied with this shower head that was posted earlier in the thread. Currently a lot cheaper than 30 though.

http://www.amazon.com/Niagara-Chrom...rds=shower+head

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

THF13 posted:

This is a good point that I didn't really think through, thanks. Probably will just order wirecutter's recommendation for bluetooth exercise headphones then.

I was actually in your boat but didn't find anything from Wirecutter that was under 50 bucks. I ended up getting these that were well reviewed from somewhere else but they haven't arrived yet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4YD2P6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

The Aphasian posted:

I work in DC and have a conference in a couple months in San Francisco, so I'll find one. So far all the markets I've found are specifically Japanese/Chinese, the former offering mostly flavored KitKats/Pocky and the latter cooking ingredients.

That site is a great backup, thanks.

There are a ton of Chinese/Korean super markets in NoVA if you have a car and care to venture out into the suburbs. They definitely carry a bunch of different kinds of chopsticks.

bamhand has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Jun 11, 2015

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Whatever happened to the sansa clip? They used to run 20-25 bucks but now the cheapest MP3 player of a similar size is about 40.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I had my cast iron skillet covered in a layer of sugar based marinade that then burned to a crisp and all that char came off in 2-3 minutes of gentle scrubbing with steel wool.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Ea...36%3A1253503011

Sennheiser has those that don't go into your ear far, those little wings help hold the things in place. They also have some that hang over your ear, you can probably find links for them on that page.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

Recommend to me a vacuum cleaner! We've had a Dyson DC07 for a good while now, and though we've been happy with the results, it's also extremely heavy and hard to maneuver. My wife is interested in a self-propelled one, but failing that one that is not so heavy might suffice. A bagless would be better, but it's not a requirement. Any suggestions?

Dyson has a smaller version of that vac that I got for my mom that she loves. It's about 2/3 the size and a good deal lighter.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Hmm yeah I bought that one a couple years ago so if things have changed since then I retract my recommendation.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The M500 has the spinwheel and is 30 bucks.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

colas posted:

Cyclists also steer people away from hybrids in general. I forget why, but if you bring it up with them they'll say hybrids are generally considered to be lovely. If you're only commuting 6 miles you could save a bunch of money and get a cheap single speed road bike to start. You can get one in the US for only £130.

Hybrids are lovely at everything they do but they're cheap. If you only plan on biking 6 miles and nothing more I'd just get a hybrid.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Recommendations for a stove+oven combo? Or is there a thread for large appliances?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Looking for a set of drawers to place a TV on in the bedroom or a TV stand that has drawers. Looking to spend < 300.
Some stuff I've looked at:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00318598/
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Sonoma...L70_&dpSrc=srch
https://www.amazon.com/Monarch-Spec...2576YTNZRFC64E0
https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Woode...2576YTNZRFC64E0

I feel like it's really hard to judge furniture quality from online. I'm assuming the Ikea one is probably the highest quality out of all of those?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

baka kaba posted:

This actually might be the best option. Get the quality sleep YOU Deserve!

The reason I was asking for suggestions is it's hard to know what "dim" means on blurbs and reviews. I've seen some clocks where people are all "it goes real dim so you can barely see it, great!" and then another review is like "I had to put books in front of it" or " I put it on the floor so I can't see it". I'd like to be able to get her a nice clock but it's no good if it doesn't solve her problem, and she seems really sensitive to it (probably sleeping with her eyes half open or something)

I have a Philips alarm clock that goes very dim.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Wake-Up-Colored-Simulation-HF3520/dp/B0093162RM

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Is waking up with this as good as it says?

Well for me I wake up after sunrise and my curtains don't do enough to stop light from coming in so it doesn't do much. Also I have animals that wake me up. So things to keep in mind about the practicality.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What's the general cutoff size for carry-on vs must be checked in?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Most of my flights end up being on small shuttles and they make people check in their larger carry on items when they board (no additional fee but still holds you up at the airport). I guess I'm mainly worried about that.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
If your dog isn't crated during the day and ever has an accident in the house the roomba will smear that everywhere. Something easily avoidable but also to be aware of.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is there a specific thread for mattresses or would I look for recommendations here? Trying to decide between latex, memory foam or some kind of hybrid. And also if there's a big difference between say a 400 dollar Zinus memory foam mattress vs a 1200 one or 400 dollar latex hybrid vs 1200 all latex.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Awesome, thank you!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Any recommendations for a place to shop for a ring holder necklace for men? Or some other ring stowing solution? I basically need to take my ring off fairly frequently and I know I'll lose it if I just stash it in my pocket. Most of the stuff I can find online are for women. Looking for a metal necklace. I'm willing to spend a few hundred if it's a nice material/craftsmanship.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Snowy posted:

Get a necklace with a little platinum carabiner for easy ring stowing

Yeah that's what I'm leaning toward. Just hard finding a specific place to get one. Most of my searches are like one offs sold by various places without much choice or comparison.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

Nope! You’re pretty much hosed whatever you do as far as mattress shopping goes :D

https://youtu.be/k1-PXROyhm0

Fair enough! We're actually looking at a $420 dollar mattress from Amazon so ... it won't be super expensive at least!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'm looking for the name of a product. We have a wooden chair that has little rubber/plastic tips on the bottom of each leg to help protect the floor. One of the tips have fallen off, what do I search for to look for a replacement? Chair tips and various other terms get me a sleeve/shoe you put on the entire bottom of the chair leg. I'm looking for a smaller thing that I can either glue, screw, or nail into the bottom of the leg that is smaller in radiu than the leg itself.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Looking for a custom tailored suit < 500. How is Indochino? Vs say, Men's Wearhouse. I don't know much about suits and I realistically would not be wearing it often.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

I’d go with Suit Supply for a quality suit that’s not Men’s Wearhouse

Is there anything wrong with Men's Wearhouse in particular? Also Suit Supply looks a bit over what I'm willing to spend. I have a wedding in June and then after that I probably wear a suit once every other year.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The issue is I need something made to fit because my body is weirdly shaped. Which drives up the price. I have a 48 inch chest, 34 inch waist, and huge butt/quads. Makes any kind of conventional sized clothing fit terribly.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah I got one too. It was like 450 with insurance. After getting it I'm wondering I could've just gotten a sports mouth guard for like 10 bucks.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'd say the only reason to use a crock pot is they come in larger and better shapes for a large roast. A big oval shape can be better for large meats if you're looking to cook for a family or have food for a week.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What cut are you using? Do you leave the lid on? Add any liquid to the pot?

I generally get something with thick ribbons of fat and collagen and have never had an issue with dryness. I add about a half cup to a cup of liquid, usually in the form marinade/sauce and cook on low for about 8 hours with the lid on and the meat comes out tender and moist. I've found 8 hours is around the sweet spot for whatever the low setting is on my Hamilton Beach crock pot, anything past 10 hours is too long.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Are you using a cut of beef like this:

https://www.instacart.com/costco/products/32665-kirkland-signature-usda-choice-beef-chuck-pot-roast-boneless-per-lb

It needs a lot of fat and connective tissue for slow cooking. Anything lean without those thick white stripes going through it will end up dry. The shank is also excellent for this.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Looking to get chocolate square in bulk as party favors. Something like 200-300 pieces. Ghiradelli square sized and an assortment would be better than all one flavor but not strictly necessary. Any suggestions on where to look for a decent price? Stuff on Amazon fluctuated wildly in price and variety. Was wondering if there's a specific brand or store that would be good to buy from.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Google WiFi routers are very easy to set up and use and pretty cheap. Can also do mesh if your house is huge and you need more than one. Plus their app let's you do stuff like reset your router from your phone.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
We just got a microwave recently after ours broke and it seems like the main innovation since we got a microwave 10+ years ago is a smart sensor that auto detects when your food is heated. You just press on button and it will heat until it determines your food is done. Our auto sensor has been pretty good for bowls of food but it wasn't great at heating stuff in a cylindrical container. It also has an inverter which allows for more even heating of the food so there are fewer pocks of unheated stuff.

I think it was around 200 and is a Samsung but I think most big brands will have something similar in that price range.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Are air fryers the same thing as a convection halogen oven but in a different case?

I got one of these things years ago and my research seems to indicate it's essentially the same as an air fryer. It also seems larger and cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Sharper-Imag...87514491&sr=8-2

Here is a similar one that's in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-R-H...87514553&sr=8-3

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Lawen posted:

TheraCane
Foam Roller
Lacrosse Balls

Don’t use these for joint/disc pain, only seized/spasming muscles. If you’re not sure, go to a doctor or even chiropractor before you make things worse.

Go to a doctor. Chiropractors are not real doctors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Any hiking pole recommendations? Looking for a < $50 option that's not a Chinese brand that's a random jumble of letters.