Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Thwomp posted:

If you want some advice for the OP, I'd include a link to a couple of review websites. The major ones are Good Housekeeping and Consumer Reports.

But I also like TheSweetHome and TheWirecutter (sister sites). The Sweet Home specializes in everything for your house so it's got a huge variety of reviewed stuff. The Wirecutter specializes in tech but still has a huge variety of product categories. Both do their own research in addition to canvasing Consumer Reports, Good Housekeeping, and Amazon product reviews.

I also like that both sites keep up on their recommendations (alerting when products are pulled from the market, new competitors emerge, etc) and also have feeds for when deals appear on their recommended products appear.

Also, go back and scavenge from the last thread's OP for the tried and true product recommendations.

As for content, if you need any flannel to keep you warm, Cabela's Roughneck Flannel Shirts are usually on sale for a good deal (~$30USD) and hold up very well as both an inner and outer layer after numerous washes and adventures. Highly recommend for anyone that embraces the grunge aesthetic (note that they are much darker in color than they appear online and in the catalog (which is a good thing)).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

king of the bongo posted:

Maybe a rain hat will work for you? They make ones with a attachable neck and sides flap.

Go all old school with http://www.amazon.com/Dutch-Harbor-Gear-SouWester-Yellow/dp/B009Q2BHOG/

"100%polyvinyl chloride/100% polyester backing
Imported
High visibility
Cool rain hat
Lined ear flaps
Cold and mildew resistant
Extra wide brim"

The product description may be a little generous in what you will actually look like while wearing one.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Last thread there was a "best travel luggage" manufacturer recommendation (I think it was TravelPr or something similar). Can anyone refresh my memory?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Chinaman7000 posted:

Anyone have any advice on an iced tea maker? I like iced tea, am lazy, and have disposable income.

No advice, but I like your forthrightness.

Edit: I take that back, you could just make Sun tea. Simply get a large glass jar, put in a few tea bags (about 1 per 8floz), fill with room temp water, close the jar loosely, let sit in the sun 3-5 hours, add sugar if desired, enjoy.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 00:09 on Jan 9, 2015

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Isn't there some danger in sun tea; like some bacteria that grows easily if you do it wrong?
Or maybe that's if you add in sugar as it's steeping.

You should sterilize the bottle in between usages ( I just pour in boiling water and swish around).

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Hixalot posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good bread machine?

I'd check out the product recommendation thread in the Goons with Spoons subforum. It's pretty active (although you really need to preference with how much you are looking to spend with those guys, as they will sometimes recommend industrial/restaurant-level equipment).

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Jmcrofts posted:

If you can wait an extra hour or two, you can make much better tea in the fridge. Putting the tea in the sun doesn't really do much anyway:

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/07/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-sun-tea-forget-the-sun-cold-brew-tea-is-better.html

Cool, thanks for the article!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Jmcrofts posted:

I want an amazing backpack in the $200 or less range. It has to have a pretty big main section (20" tall at least would be nice), and I want it to look cool. Anyone have suggestions?

I got the Osprey Porter 46 recently on another goons recommendation and I love it. I used to live out of a duffel bag, but the porter is infinitely superior in every way (other than price).

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Yo, hit me with your favorite kitchen items goons. Specifically things that make life easier

I have some decent ceramic knives, nice set of silverware, cutting boards, couple lovely pots and pans, nice bowls, and a nice blender plus some barebones poo poo like plates and a couple pots. Trying to cook more and eat healthy etc. Love making salads. Should probably invest in a good skillet.

If you don't have a few nice (I.e. $5) wooden spoons and a small and large cast iron pan , get those. I use them every single day. Also, a steamer insert for a 2qt pot is a good way to eat more green vegetables. I'd also recommend a cheap roasting pan and tray; you can cook a whole chicken for real cheap and it will last you a whole week (and be healthy).

Also, an electric kettle is super convenient if you have gas ranges, as boiling water on gas takes forever.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I should have prefaced by saying I'm looking for easy to make, cheap, edible stuff. Of course I enjoy taste but I'm lazy/impatient and not trying to be the next best chef here. Also need lunches to go often.

Cast iron pan is just a skillet eh? Anyone link me some good ones on amazon? Lots of options. Can someone give me a quick run down on the seasoning poo poo and maintaining it easily. I can also get a big skillet instead of a roasting pan, no? Do most people get a skillet set or just one good one and use it for everything?

I'd recommend you get an 8" Lodge cast iron and a 12" Lodge cast iron. They'll be about $15 and $25, respectively on Amazon. Seasoning is pretty easy; heat some bacon or other oily meat (or even just oil) in the pan a few times, and simply wipe clean with a paper towel once it cools down a bit, use a little bit of oil for everytime you cook until you can tell you won't need it anymore, and never wash the pan (just wipe clean when done cooking) and NEVER USE SOAP.

As for a roasting pan, you could use the skillet, but honestly, they are pretty cheap and you will be better off with a purpose driven roasting pan in the long run if you really are interested in cooking for yourself

Edit: also, make sure you have a few pot holders (and a trivet or two). Cast irons get hot as gently caress on the stove and in the oven.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 03:25 on Jan 23, 2015

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Just what I was looking for, thanks. I got some sweet off-brand (better?) ove gloves :cmon: trivet looks handy though I'll probably get at least one. I also forgot to mention I have a gas stove which is probably better for a skillet I assume

So never wash the pan eh? Anytime I cook something greasy like bacon just pour the grease into a trap you just wipe clean? That's it? And I can cook literally anything on it eh? Eggs in particular. Sorry for the dumb questions I'm terrible and new to this poo poo

I use coconut cooking oil that'll do eh?

Yep, all sounds good. Although I would recommend you get a nonstick pan for eggs. They stick like crazy even with butter until you get your skillet really seasoned, and they absorb flavors really easy (and since you won't be washing your cast iron very often, there will be a lot of loose flavors hanging around). Any brand is fine, to be honest, just don't ever use metal utensils on a nonstick lest you scratch the Teflon (which will cause it flake and go in your food).

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

colas posted:

Beyond normal cleaning, what do you goons use to keep your house/apt/river van smelling good?

Candles. Not that fake scent Yankee candle poo poo, but just regular old candles (with neutral scents like lavender)

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Mushinronsha posted:

^^^ Ozium. I used it when I used to smoke in my one bedroom apartment. Just spray that all around before you go to work and when you get back all bad smells will be gone.

Edit: Make sure to do it right before you leave though, as ozium has a weird chemical smell on it's own. I think it says something on the can about not inhaling it too. But it magically makes all smells disappear.

Yea, ozium is the poo poo you want for covering/eliminating smells. It won't make your place smell good though, but rather like a hospital/hotel.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Cornuto posted:

Fiance's iPad has had it, and I'm shopping for a laptop to replace it. I've always used desktops, and really don't know much about the current laptop market and if its a good time to wait or buy. From online shopping this is my current favorite: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00S44HXRW/ref=gl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2KX7R5N2RBMPU&coliid=I1T2OJAN54SZNS but I am very open to recommendations. It will be used for email, internet, video, photography mainly.

Is there a better website to buy from, or a different laptop anyone would suggest for at or under the price?

Check in the dedicated Laptop thread pinned at the very top of the Serious Hardware subforum. They are very helpful there.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Etrips posted:

Only 36oz.

Don't size shame.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

colas posted:

Anyone own an emergency battery jump-starter for their auto? Do you have to charge it monthly?

I've had two different brands and both died on me at very inopportune moments. Now I just carry regular jumper cables and never had a problem getting help from strangers.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Gyshall posted:

goons posting ITT not knowing about going commando :kiddo:

What, and rub my junk raw on the zipper of my jeans? gently caress that noise.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Pooper scoopers for my back yard with two dogs. Everything I've seen looks to be a cheap piece of plastic.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Bhodi posted:

You can see an example of the collar-cam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW0Q1HSpztM

That was the next logical step, so of course a helmet was constructed out of tape.

Remy finally had enough and anger pooped in the hallway. Then, thinking maybe it wouldn't be seen, picked up the poo and put it in the middle of the floor so you'd have to step over it.

CSI: K-9

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

SaltLick posted:

VIZIO S4251w-B4

I have those and it's pretty good. Can get cheaper off eBay. Bluetooth and solid sound. The wireless sub is a nice touch

I have one of these guys, or at least similar. Really really like it, but only downside (at least for the model I have) is that you cannot adjust the subwoofer level independent of the volume, so the sub can get waaaaaaay loud sometimes.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

kgibson posted:

Hey all, my girlfriend has a nice leather purse that she loves but can't use when it's raining. I'm looking for something for her for xmas that's a good looking small purse that at the same time won't have an issue in the wet. Ideally something kind of understated but not of the active wear variety if that makes sense...

Depends on your price range, but fjallraven and a few other outfitters (e.g., Barbour, etc.) make waxed canvas (or otherwise waterproof) bags that might be up your alley.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Just got a Motorola Nexus 6 off of Amazon (it was a fire sale at 299.99 for the 64gb). Any recommendations for cases? I've only used the otterbox commuter for each and every smartphone I've ever had, but wondering if there is a new kid on the block that does it better/cheaper. I'd like the case to have a small form factor, but also has a raised edge on the "face" side, so that if I drop it it will protect the screen from hitting the ground even if it falls flat on the screen. Also, preferably the case will not be gummy/rubbery, as I want to be able to get the phone in and out of pockets easily (although that will obviously be harder than usual given the size of this monstrosity).

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

I'm looking for a good blanket. I want one that's soft and comfortable, maybe faux fur or something. It doesn't have to do a super good job of keeping me warm, since even at this time of year I never really get that cold at night. Any suggestions?

If you like wool (and some people don't, as the find it scratchy), I highly recommend Pendleton. Their eco-wool line is a little more affordable too. Very thin and breathable, yet also warm.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

obi_ant posted:

I have a pretty nice picture frame that I wanted to use, but the photos come in weird sizes. I can't seem to find any online photo printing service that offers all three sizes that I'm looking for. I'm looking for 4x4, 6x4 and 4x6. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do?

Scissors?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Dragyn posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a lightweight rain jacket and good waterproof hiking shoes?

I really like my Marmot Aegis rain jacket, as well as my Keen Targhee II hiking boots.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

Don't wear undershirts

It must be weird not having sweat glands.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

colas posted:

I want bachelor cookware, like a pot that has a removable bowl and you only wash that bowl, plate/pan etc. I wonder if something like that exists. I guess it could be as simple as removable handles. Lazyware.

Lodge cast iron pans.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I am in the need of new exercise shirts. Ive just been using cotton undershirts as of late, as I don't like the feel of the few polyester shirts I've tried (as they get itchy or cause chaffing after an hour or so of running, etc), but cotton obviously stinks at moisture-wicking. I've looked into wool blends cursorily, but am afraid they will get too hot during the summer in Georgia. If anyone knows of a better YLLS thread to ask in, please show me the way.

Edit: VVVV any particular brands/lines you'd suggest?

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 19:13 on Jul 8, 2016

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

What's da best muthafucken metal water bottle on Earth? I drink so much of that sweetass hydro that I need a fluid chariot that matches my needs.

I really like Kleen Kanteen. I've only got their uninsulated 24oz, but I've had it for ten years and it's been with me every day across five continents without incident. I buy them for family/friends for gifts and I always get shout outs about how much they like them.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Looking for a fabric/garment steamer. Sick and tired of having to iron all these drat dress shirts.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Lawen posted:

Darn Tough are the best socks I've ever owned and the only socks I'll buy anymore. I was a SmartWool fan for a bit but their quality fell off a couple years ago. Darn Tough are fairly expensive but 1) Merino wool so good moisture wicking and cool in the summer/warm in the winter and also anti-microbial/stink and fast drying 2) just the right amount of compression so they don't fall down nor strangle your legs 3) no or "invisible" seams so they don't rub you raw 4) unconditional lifetime guarantee 5) made in US.

I wear the Warlocks or the Standard Issue to work every day and love them.

Also, massdrop.com runs fairly regular sales on 3-packs and they have a drop for work socks going now (I think the Work Socks are more heavily padded and are more for manly men with outside jobs though, their "Lifestyle" socks are thinner and more for desk jobs).

If anyone's curious, ExOfficio Give and Go boxer briefs are the equivalently awesome underwear.

I wholeheartedly agree with both of these recommendations

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Pendleton.
Expensive but will keep you warm through anything.

Agreed. I have one of their national park blankets and I am very satisfied. You can also look at Brahms Mount (they sell factory seconds that are very reasonable considering the material/quality).

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

surf rock posted:

A recent issue of Esquire recommended Marvis toothpaste. I bought it and it's awesome. Highly recommend, especially the aquatic mint flavor. Leaves a really fresh aftertaste.

It made me curious, any other secret pricey bathroom goods recommended by goons? I would especially like to get a better deodorant/antiperspirant than Old Spice, but I'd be curious about basically anything.

I'd you are fine with pricey, Kiehl's makes really great aftershave lotion.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

:eyepop:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Just a heads up that hot water from a K-cup machine tastes like coffee. So if your plan is to use the hot water for anything other than making coffee, you might want to adjust your plans.

-Someone who drinks tea but not coffee

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm also looking for the exact same thing, shoe size and toebox issues included.

Also, fyi, I recommend the sanuk sidelines for more casual, less durable slip-ons (aka boardwalk/boat shoes)

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

signalnoise posted:

OK so... why? What is it about that kind of luggage you need?

Lol, "justify your personal preferences to me!"

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

Doesn't it bother the other people at the cinema?

:noice:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Crossposting from cookware thread:

The Midniter posted:

Classic Thermapens are on sale for only $59 right now, brand new. This is by far the cheapest I've ever seen them for a non-refurb item, and it's available in six colors, unlike a lot of their sales that are limited to a single color. If you don't have one, jump on this!

If you like to cook (or know someone who does), buy one of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Snowmankilla posted:

Thanks. I ordered one regular and one mesh in 2 sizes. Thanks!

I don't like the regular, but love the mesh. Also, they go out of stock after summer and don't restock until spring, so purchase accordingly.