Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Recommendation for a waterproof mattress cover / encasement?

I'm getting a new mattress and am looking to increase its longevity as much as possible. Only hazards are mainly sex fluids, coconut oil, and if it starts to collect dust / etc (no bedbug issues) over time. I'm not certain if I want an encasement or just a cover.

It's a latex mattress, if it makes a difference.

meatbag posted:

Any recommendations for gloves that work with touch phones? Quality trumps price.

http://www.icebreaker.com/en/mens-gloves/sierra-gloves/101265.html

http://www.icebreaker.com/en/mens-gloves

All wool, won't make you sweaty, good for cold around freezing, okay for wind, not great. Bonus advantage of being able to be used as a liner for a heavier glove.

PRADA SLUT has a new favorite as of 09:21 on Jan 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Dunlop shredded latex pillows

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Horse Clocks posted:

My wife gets me to get her the latest from the Braun EpilSilk range every few years.

Same

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Inzombiac posted:

I drink a lot of water at work but most of it comes from the tap and I don't have access to a purifier. It's perfectly healthy aside from maybe a bit too much chlorine.

I'm looking for some no-sugar additive I can put in a 32 oz. Nalgene to make it more bareable. I tried this Crystal Lite packets and they were... okay.

Nuun

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
For a zero-calorie, no-sugar "add to water", it's probably the best you're going to get. I don't have a problem with it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

queserasera posted:

Can anyone recommend a good athletic pant for roller derby? All the derby wear places seem to carry shorts and tights only.

Prana Zion for men, whatever the equivalent is for women with the stretch Zion fabric.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Snowball is worth the price. I've had one for 10 years.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Christ just encrypt it and upload it in a few places somewhere, you don't need to print out the key and store it in your butt for safe keeping

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

colas posted:

What should I look for in a monitor if I want text to look good? I got a basic 1080 27" ASUS monitor recently but the text doesn't look as good as my 1440x900 macbook. I'm thinking Dell Ultrasharp or a 1440p monitor.

Pixel density (PPI, sometimes called High DPI, Apple calls theirs "retina"). In fact, it will make everything look good.

Around 220+ PPI is where you want to be at. The downside is that the larger the monitor, the less pixel density it has by its resolution (IE, a 19" 1080p monitor looks better than a 24" 1080p monitor, even though the 24 is larger).

A 27" 1080p monitor has a PPI of 81. For comparison, a 22" 1080p monitor has a PPI of 100. A 60" 1080p TV has a PPI of only 36.

Something like Apple's Macbook Pro has a 2800x1800 resolution on a 15" screen, for a 226 PPI, which is around what modern smartphones have.

Also, with smaller pixels there is less of that black "grid" in between pixels and will make your monitor look a lot better overall.

The downside is that your eyes will quickly adjust to how much better these kinds of screens look, and then when you have to look at a different screen it feels like watching a VHS again.

As far as the actual monitor / brand / etc, I'm not familiar enough with the screens to pick one, but SH/SC has a thread.

PRADA SLUT has a new favorite as of 07:09 on Mar 17, 2016

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

couldcareless posted:

Looking for a nice large butcher block for my kitchen. Are there any good recommendations for these?

Boos block

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Dragyn posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a lightweight rain jacket and good waterproof hiking shoes?

Arcteryx jacket, get something SL or LT

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Looking for a shampoo* or hair mask or something that's basically strictly for anti-dandruff.

I know you can get combination antidandruff shampoo, but I'm specifically wondering if there's a product that won't clean hair, just manage dandruff only. Something like a hair rinse or a mask you can just wash out with water.

At worst, if it's in a shampoo, I'm looking for the least effective shampoo possible. I know you can get one without SLS, but something even less than that would be preferable, regardless of its cleaning efficiency.

DIY is fine as long as it's not something like soaking your head in vinegar so it smells for a week straight.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I like the New Balance Minimus because it's flat, has no arch support, and realistically no padding.

It's far more comfortable than trying to stand on those squishy-rear end foam wedges that most "comfort" shoes are now.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

m.hache posted:

Thanks.

Another thing came to mind:

Anyone know of a audio KVM so I can just switch between speakers and headphones? I can't seem to find anything simple via amazon.

Use a y-splitter and turn down whatever you're not using.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Inzombiac posted:

Summer approaches!

I work in a business casual place and I walk a fair bit to and from the office.

I'm looking for plain black or white shirts I can wear under my dress shirts that'll keep me a little more cool and not look like shiny gym clothes.

Don't wear undershirts

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Pron on VHS posted:

It's one of those fashion rules that no one will really mock you for because so many men do it, but it looks lame.

You would win the cosplay contest at dadcon 2k16 if you added a belt holster for your phone, a weaved brown belt, and a dirty white pair of running shoes with your office khakis.

1redflag posted:

It must be weird not having sweat glands.

Sorry I didn't know I was advising the wardrobe of steve ballmer

PRADA SLUT has a new favorite as of 19:55 on May 25, 2016

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Dye it in a rainbow and claim sexual discrimination if they say something

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I've got a stack of Icebreaker shirts I wear for everything. And underwear.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
My Chrome bag is easily rainproof without a jaundiced scrotum flopped over it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
sorry you can't handle the rugged, masculine urban lifestyle

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

bongwizzard posted:

What should a messenger bag cost?

I have an old old Timbuk2 bag that saw maybe 10 years of daily use and it is still kicking, sitting in a drawer, waiting for me to break it out again. Buying it was maybe the only smart thing I did when I was twenty.

$100-$200 for something like that. People just see cheap poo poo all the time and think that's the normal price and everything else is a scam. Look at men's dress shoes, most men can't fathom spending $200 on long-lasting, quality shoes when they're surrounded by $40 disposable Bostonian poo poo at wal mart.

PRADA SLUT has a new favorite as of 01:22 on Jul 10, 2016

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So will a 79 cent ikea bag

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

colas posted:

My Jansport messenger bag is 18 years old. It hasn't had the life of a bike messenger's bag or anything though. Also it's black so it doesn't look too bad because it's black. I'm still told I should get a new one but ones I look at are either too small or too big. And I don't like the ones with the big rear end flap over them, wtf is that poo poo.

I guess it's pretty much the old version of this, I'll probably just buy this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Trans-Janspo...p_89%3AJanSport

Can anyone recommend maybe something better that closely resembles this?

Chrome Citizen, but it sits up on your back more like a backpack, less like a purse:

http://www.chromeindustries.com/citizen-messenger-bag

Unless you don't like "a flap", which is p. much ubiquitous.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

cheerfullydrab posted:

I got my Jansport bag in 1998, when I was 12.

This should tell you everything you need to know about Jansport

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Organza Quiz posted:

Are there any especially good or especially bad brands of robot vacuum cleaners or are they all much the same? I'm in Australia so I probably can't get half the brands in the US.

Roomba is good, not-Roomba is bad.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Chas McGill posted:

Just for going around town so on the small side: enough room for a camera, light jacket etc. The main thing is that it's well made. Doesn't need laptop pockets or millions of compartments. Probably around 20ltrs.

Spend an extra 50 bucks and get a Chrome bag.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Grem posted:

Speaking of kitchen gear, I need a blender. My last blender had a HORRIBLE habit of everything getting jammed just above the blades and to much hilarity I, multiple times, would put use rubber spatula to shove stuff down and it never turned out well. I'd like to avoid that in the future.

Refurbished Vitamix, I think they're on sale for $300 still.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Looking for books for children (preschoolish to grade schoolish) about women in STEM? Or, failing the women part, just story books for children about science or engineering or the like.

I've seen Ada Lovelace and the Thinking Machine and am looking for something along those lines, though could be for younger children as well: https://www.amazon.com/Ada-Byron-Lovelace-Thinking-Machine/dp/1939547202

Age-specific reading comprehension isn't that important, as they can be read by an adult like a storybook.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Inzombiac posted:

Pendleton.
Expensive but will keep you warm through anything.

A good post

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You can wash them but it's not recommended.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Philips HF3520 Wake-Up Light With Colored Sunrise Simulation, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0093162RM/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_x_Fx-3xbZD5A2JS

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Inzombiac posted:

So if you want good formal shoes, Bostonian and Ecco.

These are also good for your cosplay outfit at dadcon 2k16

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Lawen posted:

The Zojirushi lunch jars are great. I've had a 4 bowl Mr Bento for years.

:agreed:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a Prada wallet and it owns

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The folio case would look really good hanging on the outside of your woven brown leather belt and comfort fit stone washed jeans.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Gold is $1200 an ounce. A small gold bar is about 35 oz.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Inspector 34 posted:

I really love the idea of slippers, but I need something super breathable since my feet are always hot. I normally just wear some nike sandals, but I feel like a scrub if I happen to go out to run an errand and don't feel like putting on actual shoes. Some of those canvas boat shoe style things look super comfy, but not sure I can pull off the style since I don't normally wear khakis and polo shirts.

Wear socks with them, and then ask the guy who wanted the iPhone belt and the guy that wanted Ecko comfort fit dress shoes to go shopping together.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Chip McFuck posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice warm throw blanket that's also large? Just looking for something simple like a fleece or faux-shearling that's roughly about a queen size.

Pendleton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Not Jaybirds, they're pieces of poo poo.

Anything with an ear flange should stick in.