Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Zurai posted:

There are a lot of cool builds available through sub-Personas, including EO-esque things like links (attacks which do damage when they're used and then trigger additional attacks under certain situations, usually another ally hitting the same target), circles (3-turn battlefield spells that attempt to hit the entire enemy party with an ailment or bind effect every turn, and various abilities which only function while you have a circle active like passive healing, etc), and dealing extra damage to enemies with ailments.

I was super stoked when I got a Persona with Stun Circle and realized there'd be other circles in the game. Arcanist was my absolute favorite class in EO4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Posting to say the case that comes with the collector's edition (along with the rest of the stuff) is really cool, but my 3DS + grippy case doesn't fit in it :(

So far I'm enjoying it, even though I haven't really gotten into previous Etrian Odyssey games. I will keep supporting these stupid Persona 3/4 crossovers until they stop making them though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So I've never really gotten into the EO games but have played drat near all the Megatens. Keeping that in mind what should I know to make things go smoother? I seem to be having money issues and gearing up is proving to be problematic. I just hit floor 3 of the first dungeon and have access to fusion. My party is all level 7 so I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Do I just go raid the power points and leave the dungeon or is there a better way to get money and materials?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

So I've never really gotten into the EO games but have played drat near all the Megatens. Keeping that in mind what should I know to make things go smoother? I seem to be having money issues and gearing up is proving to be problematic. I just hit floor 3 of the first dungeon and have access to fusion. My party is all level 7 so I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Do I just go raid the power points and leave the dungeon or is there a better way to get money and materials?

You shouldn't really be having money issues. Just keep going in the dungeon until you have a full inventory, retreat and repeat.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Make sure you hit up the Power Spots religiously early on. Keep looting from them until you can't any more (even at the risk of getting shadows instead of rarer loot) until you can't any more, then go to the next spot. Even in the first labyrinth there are P-Spot items that sell for like 3,000.

Also, try to fuse a sub-Persona for your navigator that has abilities which increase material drop rate, increase rare material gathering rate, decrease ambush rate, and negate enemy first strikes. Especially that last one. You can get all of those withing the first labyrinth if you're diligent.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
I managed to beat the first labyrinth boss on risky on the first try :smuggo: with 1 party member dead, 3 more under 10 health and nobody with any sp and also it died to curse damage after I failed to kill the minions :confuoot:

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

shs posted:

I managed to beat the first labyrinth boss on risky on the first try :smuggo: with 1 party member dead, 3 more under 10 health and nobody with any sp and also it died to curse damage after I failed to kill the minions :confuoot:

I hate you it took me like two hours

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Oh my God this puzzle is starting to piss me off. Labyrinth 3 Floor 3 still:

There's a 2x2 grid of rooms with doors connecting each. You're supposed to go through the doors according to their location if they were a clock face, so 12 is north, etc. The hint the game gives is to go through the doors in the order given by a clue elsewhere (6 9 3 12 9), but that is physically impossible because you cannot get from the 9 o'clock door to the 3 o'clock door without passing through either 12 or 6. There are no shortcuts between the rooms, just doors. I've tried starting at the 3 o'clock door and wrapping around, but that doesn't work. I've tried ignoring the 3 as erroneous, that doesn't work.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Only through the first labyrinth but this game is fantastic.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
All the Smash Bros on 3DS has put me in the market for a new 3DS so I'm going to grab this bad boy

Persona Q is pretty awesome. I've never played Etrian Odyssey so this is fairly new to me.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

why does everyone I want to have in my party need to be a frontliner

don't make me choose between kanji, chie and koromaru

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Zurai posted:

Oh my God this puzzle is starting to piss me off. Labyrinth 3 Floor 3 still:

There's a 2x2 grid of rooms with doors connecting each. You're supposed to go through the doors according to their location if they were a clock face, so 12 is north, etc. The hint the game gives is to go through the doors in the order given by a clue elsewhere (6 9 3 12 9), but that is physically impossible because you cannot get from the 9 o'clock door to the 3 o'clock door without passing through either 12 or 6. There are no shortcuts between the rooms, just doors. I've tried starting at the 3 o'clock door and wrapping around, but that doesn't work. I've tried ignoring the 3 as erroneous, that doesn't work.

Um, it's not the doors you have to go through in the right order. It's the direction of the doors.
From the room on the left of the room with the locked door, go south, west, east, north, then back to the room with the locked door.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Squallege posted:

All the Smash Bros on 3DS has put me in the market for a new 3DS so I'm going to grab this bad boy

Persona Q is pretty awesome. I've never played Etrian Odyssey so this is fairly new to me.

Don't buy a new 3DS until the New 3DS comes out.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Um, it's not the doors you have to go through in the right order. It's the direction of the doors.
From the room on the left of the room with the locked door, go south, west, east, north, then back to the room with the locked door.

That did it. Thank you so much. The description and hints in the game were extremely misleading.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

ImpAtom posted:

Or do, because that 3DS is tight as poo poo and will likely retain some value due to being cool as gently caress

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Right after the first labyrinth whats the right sequence for the trade showoff request? I don't really remember who had what.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Cake Attack posted:

Right after the first labyrinth whats the right sequence for the trade showoff request? I don't really remember who had what.

I heard it's Junpei to Ken to Yosuke/Kanji.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you better be right...

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Tired Moritz posted:

I heard it's Junpei to Ken to Yosuke/Kanji.
I did this and succeeded. It's right.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you were right, thank you friend

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I did Aigis -> Fuuka -> Yosuke/Kanji and it ended in a draw, but it still counted as completed and I still got the listed reward.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think it's a gag quest and you win no matter what considering what happens to Teddy.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

It's coming out next year and my L button is dead now.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh my god, I cannot handle Marie in this game, she's so good.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think it's a gag quest and you win no matter what considering what happens to Teddy.

Nah, if you do the "proper" way, you get a bonus reward in addition to what's listed. A lot of the quests are like that.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Beef Waifu posted:

Oh my god, I cannot handle Marie in this game, she's so good.

There's another thread for P4G

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Uh, Marie is in this game though?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
The joke is she was already good, stupididiotjerk.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You are the first person I have seen with this opinion and I salute you, sir.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Nah, if you do the "proper" way, you get a bonus reward in addition to what's listed. A lot of the quests are like that.

Yeah, every quest I've had with a choice on how to complete it has given an addition reward for doing it perfectly. The bonus rewards have been nice but not stellar so far, so if you're feeling lazy don't sweat it.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Marie got better when the game was over. She sort of suffered from Clara disorder (Doctor Who reference) in that the "mystery" about her was more important than her character. Once she was allowed to be a character, she was actually rather likable and added a great sense of hope and positivity to the end game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I decided on Yu/Kanji/Koromaru/Yukari/Naoto

too many people I wanted were frontliners

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
okay, so third labyrinth first floor. i'm stuck.

i've found the clue saying art is after shop and geometry is after science. are there any other clues i should be looking for, and if so where are they?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The clues are right there in the puzzle. Look over the information it gives you closely.

The classes are actually just a repeating set wrapping around from the end of one day to the start of the next.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

I decided on Yu/Kanji/Koromaru/Yukari/Naoto

too many people I wanted were frontliners

Yeah, I feel that they loaded too many of the characters as front and it makes an annoying time of picking who you want.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 28, 2014

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Note that the one and only reason the game recommends front/back is the range of the character's weapon. It recommends Mitsuru for front line, as an example, even though there's absolutely no reason for her to be there.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

The only front line character I've used so far other than P3MC is Akihiko.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm all the gently caress about a new Persona game, but I've never played an EO game before. I've been reading about it, and I've got an honest question: is there some appeal to the manual map-making that I'm not understanding? Just seems like added tedium at first blush.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Zurai posted:

Note that the one and only reason the game recommends front/back is the range of the character's weapon. It recommends Mitsuru for front line, as an example, even though there's absolutely no reason for her to be there.

i don't think that makes too much of a difference though, since most physical attackers should be in the front, and magic in the back

Like I can't just put Chie or Kanji in back

Ciaphas posted:

I'm all the gently caress about a new Persona game, but I've never played an EO game before. I've been reading about it, and I've got an honest question: is there some appeal to the manual map-making that I'm not understanding? Just seems like added tedium at first blush.

youll come to understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Ciaphas posted:

The satisfaction of making a perfect map? I dunno. I've always enjoyed it in EO, but I can understand why people wouldn't like it.

• Locked thread