Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's a chance but it's still pretty goddamn slow. Whenever you choose attack the characters pop up on screen and do a small animation to strike the enemy (or use a skill) and you are still slowly making your way around a labyrinth. The only difference it has the charm of a Persona game in it.

Or you could increase the battle speed in the options. The Persona summoning animation only occurs on the slowest speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!
I'm okay with the Persona summoning animations because I get to hear the two MCs horribly mangle demon names. "Moh shuhhh!" "Yatagahh!" At first I couldn't tell if they were actually saying them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Worldwide Panther posted:

I'm okay with the Persona summoning animations because I get to hear the two MCs horribly mangle demon names. "Moh shuhhh!" "Yatagahh!" At first I couldn't tell if they were actually saying them.

Teddy yelling COME KENTUCKY DOGE-Y will never not be funny to me.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't say I was expecting a jump scare in this game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Strange Quark posted:

I can't say I was expecting a jump scare in this game.

Is there a Jump Scare FOE?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Zurai posted:

Or you could increase the battle speed in the options. The Persona summoning animation only occurs on the slowest speed.

The fastest speed is still around EO1 levels which is slow as molasses. It sucks because EO3 and EOU are way faster.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Is there a Jump Scare FOE?

At least the first time it's introduced, yeah.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

EO is relentlessly difficult to the point of being unfun, and the battle system always felt clunky and slow. Has that been improved in this one?

EO is neither of those things hth

this game is quite slow though

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Strange Quark posted:

At least the first time it's introduced, yeah.

Lame, jump scares always always get me. I'm a dumb idiot who falls for that stuff all the time.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

EO is relentlessly difficult to the point of being unfun, and the battle system always felt clunky and slow. Has that been improved in this one?

Which EO games have you played because they aren't terribly hard unless you've hosed up your characters builds to the point of no return or try to autobattle through everything.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I found a Marie poem in the Velvet Room. This game has everything. :allears:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Lame, jump scares always always get me. I'm a dumb idiot who falls for that stuff all the time.

if he's talking about the ones i think he's talking about (the cute babies in the evil spirit club?), they're really not that scary after the first time it happens.

especially since with the right party mix you should be able to beat them before you've even completed the floor.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inflammatory posted:

if he's talking about the ones i think he's talking about (the cute babies in the evil spirit club?), they're really not that scary after the first time it happens.

especially since with the right party mix you should be able to beat them before you've even completed the floor.

No, there are ones the lovely dolls a bit after that which like to pop up from the ground.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sounds like the next labyrinth is going to be fun for me then :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If anything this game is somehow making me like the P3 cast more than the P4 one. I am just so loving sick of Teddie hitting on everyone and I never want to see him again. I dunno how they did it, but they've managed to make the P3 cast more entertaining and dynamic when they're all stupid characters in their original game. Maybe it's because they have a straight man in Shinjiro this time compared to P3 where he vanished after a month because plot.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Ken and that dog are horrible characters

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Say whatever you want about Ken but Koromaru is the best character.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

:staredog:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

that dog are horrible characters

mods?!?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I hope they carry over party members taking about shadow types when you get into battle to persona 5.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

DrManiac posted:

I hope they carry over party members taking about shadow types when you get into battle to persona 5.

yeah the battle banter is one of the best touches in this game.

"cupid? more like STUPID. :smug:"

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Does the US version of Q allow for screenshots? Apparently you can't in the Euro version.

loving Zavvi haven't even even sent the game yet. What's the loving point of preordering.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
One of the puzzles involve knowledge of Cartesian planes in the most convoluted way. What is this, silent hill 3?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sodium Chloride posted:

Does the US version of Q allow for screenshots? Apparently you can't in the Euro version.

Nope.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Inflammatory posted:

"Not another beast! We already have a dog, a bear, and a Chie."

Yosuke supremacy.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Burning Beetles are the worst. :argh:

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Dr. Fetus posted:

At least they're polite enough to not murder you if they get an ambush.
The FOE gear drops seem kind of weird compared to the EO games, the painter soldiers give you an armor that's almost three times better than anything you can get in the first labyrinth, while the card soldiers only give you a slightly better sword you can't even make until the second one, does this change as it goes on?

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Dr. Fetus posted:

They seem to be the Great Lynx of the game... at least they had the decency not to put them on floor 1!

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Einwand posted:

At least they're polite enough to not murder you if they get an ambush.
The FOE gear drops seem kind of weird compared to the EO games, the painter soldiers give you an armor that's almost three times better than anything you can get in the first labyrinth, while the card soldiers only give you a slightly better sword you can't even make until the second one, does this change as it goes on?

yeah so far the card soldiers seem to be the odd one out, although i'm only in the third dungeon.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
What kind of party is everyone using? I just finished the first dungeon and got access to the P3 characters and am kind of overwhelmed -- it's been a long time since I played an E.O. game so I don't remember what exactly is important in building a party.

I'm trying to make a diverse group of attacks/elements, so for right now I'm running Yu/Koromaru/Chie in front and Zen & Rei/Yukari in the back. Does Zen hold his own down the line, since he doesn't have a sub-persona, or does he end up falling behind all the rest of the characters?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My party is pretty much the exact same with a few minor changes.

P3 Protag/Chie/Teddy
Zen+Rei/Yukari

I can see Zen falling behind though, I just got his elemental up skill or whatever but outside phyiscal damage his magic was starting to fall behind pretty badly.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i'm rolling with yu/chie/makoto in front and aigis/naoto in back. decided against using zen and rei since their skills were so expensive early on, but apparently their attack power picks up later and makes the cost worth it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

My party is pretty much the exact same with a few minor changes.

P3 Protag/Chie/Teddy
Zen+Rei/Yukari

I can see Zen falling behind though, I just got his elemental up skill or whatever but outside phyiscal damage his magic was starting to fall behind pretty badly.

I heard that they learn skills latter on that increase the damage of their attacks.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Haha, one of the quest rewards let you listen to Marie's poems again.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I'm using P4MC/Kanji in front, Aigis/Yukari/Zen and Rei in back. If I had to do it over again I'd have kept Naoto instead of using Yukari as a healer, but by this point Naoto's just too far behind to be worth it. In NG+ I'll probably do Team Speed with Koromaru/Yosuke in front and P3MC/Naoto in the back. Undecided on the final party member, possibly Shinji to tank.

Back row Aigis makes an incredible tank, for the record. Get Pain Eater (taunt + defense up) on her and she takes basically no damage. Mokoi from the first labyrinth has Pain Eater and later on you can extract the skill card from him to give it to her permanently.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Aerox posted:

What kind of party is everyone using? I just finished the first dungeon and got access to the P3 characters and am kind of overwhelmed -- it's been a long time since I played an E.O. game so I don't remember what exactly is important in building a party.

I'm trying to make a diverse group of attacks/elements, so for right now I'm running Yu/Koromaru/Chie in front and Zen & Rei/Yukari in the back. Does Zen hold his own down the line, since he doesn't have a sub-persona, or does he end up falling behind all the rest of the characters?

After I got access to the P3 guys, I remembered that I either hated their stat spreads or thought their Personas were ugly, so I kept rolling with Yu/Yosuke/Kanji in front and Zen & Rei/Yukiko in the back. Yosuke with Impure Reach/Lullaby is amazing for stopping random mooks from ever attacking, which is much more useful in the third labyrinth since that's when more Light/Dark resistant Shadows pop up.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

which is much more useful in the third labyrinth since that's when more Light/Dark resistant Shadows pop up.

Also very useful since the third labyrinth is utterly obsessed with enemies that set up for one turn then loving wreck your whole party with AOE spells. Every single floor has at least one of that type of enemy, and every floor past the first actually has two different ones. They're frequently paired up with either tanks or agility debuffers, too. Just ugh. I eventually went and got Silence Circle just for them.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

If anything this game is somehow making me like the P3 cast more than the P4 one. I am just so loving sick of Teddie hitting on everyone and I never want to see him again. I dunno how they did it, but they've managed to make the P3 cast more entertaining and dynamic when they're all stupid characters in their original game. Maybe it's because they have a straight man in Shinjiro this time compared to P3 where he vanished after a month because plot.

I have this problem with the Arena games as well. For a few of the characters, namely Teddie and Chie, they took away everything about their characters except their absolute broadest strokes. So Teddie goes from an insecure guy overcompensating to make up for the fact that he doesn't know who he is to a rapey horndog, and Chie goes from the tomboy with a heart of gold to "MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT AAAAAHHHH" all the time. It's like the writers only read the first paragraph of the characters wikipedia pages before writing them or something.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

yeah the battle banter is one of the best touches in this game.

who says this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Koromaru died and then Kanji went "You mess with fluffball, and you mess with me" and i thought this was very cute + sweet

• Locked thread