Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Only through the first labyrinth but this game is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

I heard it's Junpei to Ken to Yosuke/Kanji.
I did this and succeeded. It's right.

theshim
May 1, 2012

The Card Soldiers are just annoying as hell because they have no weaknesses or anything so you have to sit there fishing for crits as you slog through their HP.

Hopefully later FOEs are less dumb.

e: second labyrinth SP DAMAGE FLOORS ATLUS YOU MOTHERFUCKERS

theshim fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 28, 2014

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Are the Card Soldiers just damage sponges? I'm fighting one right now, and they don't seem all that dangerous, but it's taking a while to bring them down.
The Card Soldiers are jackasses because they're nothing but damage sponges. They have no weaknesses, which means no boost chaining except through crits, which means no using spells, which means they take forever and a day to die and your casters do nothing.

Weaknesses are far too important in this game. The first FOEs in the second labyrinth do have weaknesses and they're just much more enjoyable to fight.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Lunar Suite posted:

Grinding the FOEs on the first level of the second labyrinth, then Sacrifice Fusing the high-level but skill-less Personas they drop. :getin:
Yep. I was getting worried about how hard it was to keep leveling subs when they were so experience heavy and then the game gives me the answer!

theshim
May 1, 2012

They don't have weaknesses which makes them a giant punch in the dick to actually kill.

You can also get Impure Touch from Incubus, who's only level 13 IIRC.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

is there something special i should be doing with persona dropped from FOEs?

they don't have many skills and sub personas don't matter statwise so most don't seem very useful
Use them for sacrifice fusions to level up your actually important personas.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Characters are not even remotely balanced in this game. Compare Yukari and Junpei to Mitsuru and Akihiko, they get clobbered.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

I don't really understand the point of poison. Trash mobs wipe too quickly for it to have much effect, and for bosses/FOEs, panic seems like a much better ailment, since it cripples their ability to attack and makes them unable to dodge any attack.
Poison does way more damage on bosses and FOEs than anything else. A tick of poison usually outdamages my whole party turn per turn and costs almost nothing to stick. Panic's nice but you'll still take forever to kill anything, especially FOEs that have no weaknesses.

Cake Attack posted:

i made them black
damage tiles are red :frogout:

theshim
May 1, 2012

I've just had Naoto sitting in the back tossing out Toxic Slice. Sure, the move itself does practically no damage, but the poison ticks just fine.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

Should I play this on hard for the true experience, or is hard just kinda dumb?
Been playing on hard with no real problems. I say go for it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Boy Maze 4 is tedious.

Also don't use Naoto unless you want to suck all the fun out of battle. She's just way, way too good. I took her along for the first floor of the 4th dungeon and every single thing is weak to her insta kills and with inpure touch there's literally no fight. Then it comes to a boss fight and surprise insta-kills don't work and your stuck with this turd of a character who can't do any damage whatsoever and just a waste.
She's a crazy good sweeper and you should have a sub persona with poison for bosses/FOEs. She's probably the best character in the game.

theshim
May 1, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

About to start playing this game, and I'm pretty excited. I've been trying to avoid spoilers as much as possible, but does anyone have any must know advice before I play so I don't mess up any endings or miss anything important?
Use the hell out of instant death, for the first two dungeons virtually every single thing is weak to light or dark.

Also Poison.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Actually no, because there's a hierarchy. :v: From the ones I've seen, Ken and Koromaru are the ones who carry you.
And Aigis!

theshim
May 1, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Or Teddie, or Aigis, or Koromaru
Actually, Aigis counts as a girl. :japan:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Would you say that it's problematic?

(its basically asking if you like dudes)

Roguelike posted:

It makes sense. Koromaru's gotta be like 45 in dog years, so I don't see how you could date him if age matters.
Yes but Koromaru is the Best Dog :3:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Can someone please explain the switch puzzle in Evil Spirit Club 2? I must have missed one of the clues or something, because I don't feel I have enough information to solve it on my own and brute-forcing every possible combination isn't working.
The one in the bottom right? It's a little dumb. The 1 and 2 refer to lights and the 3 and 4 refer to darkness. This is dumb because what that really means is 1 and 2 lights actually on in the room with the lights on and 3 and 4 FOEs in the darkness. You can then turn the lights on and walk on them in order.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh wow, the baby FOEs aren't immune to light?
Nope.

Of course I killed like eight of them before testing it on a whim. :v:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Aw, what? Killing the Old Doll doesn't unlock anything?

Bah! :argh:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

this foe was really easy then it used Mamudoon then Diarahan
Yeah, the Old Doll is a bit of bastard.

It's not immune to Light, though :getin:

theshim
May 1, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

The whole "use your food catapult to lure the sheep into range so the FOE chases them instead" thing never occurred to me, and I don't recall anyone in game ever suggesting that. Instead, I ended up cheesing that by using the portable Geomagnetic Pole they give you for your airship. I noticed that the FOE always starts out south of the dungeon entrance whenever you enter the 2nd land. So I dropped a temporary pole north of the dungeon, then warped straight to it from town, giving me plenty of time to reach the dungeon before the FOE could circle around and catch me. :downs:
The game does suggest it. When you first get near there, the Dinogator pounces on and eats one of the sheep. You also don't need to use the foodapult for it, you can just drop a mushroom from your ship between the two and it'll come over.

Just had Naoto solve the puzzle in 3-4 and no regrets, it was dumb.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I did some testing earlier. Turns out that your sub persona makes a huge difference in damage output. By which I mean Kanji was doing half the damage of the P4MC with Holy Touch, which was finally enough to get me to retire Kaguya. Keep your subs updated!

theshim
May 1, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh god I lost to the first labyrinth boss. I feel bad. Is level 8 too low?
I did that at level 9 on Hard. Having at least one form of AoE helps but really isn't necessary.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Found these trawling the interweb, posting so I can find them again for posterity:

A list of skill cards and the Personas they come from
A list of Persona skills.
This is a Good Post.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dastardly posted:

Not going to complain that Margaret just turned two lvl 9 Persona's into a lvl 80 Sandalphon by accident.
Man I'm almost halfway through the fourth labyrinth and I still haven't hit a fusion accident :argh:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Holy hell Izanagi-no-Okami is busted. Time for some Heat Riser'd Kanji Myriad Arrows :getin:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Anyone know how to fuse Black Frost and Phoenix? They're the only personas I need below my level.
Black Frost is the three Frosts, and I don't think Phoenix is a special fusion.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You can always fuse the two above it in that arcana (Sun, right?).

theshim
May 1, 2012

KingEffingFrost posted:

Just finished the game. Overall, I really enjoyed it. Thought the labyrinths were cool and pretty well thought out. The combat, not so well thought out, though I thought the boost idea was interesting. The game was very cute, definitely made me laugh, and Teddie can gently caress right off. I'd play another one, though I guess Digital Devil Saga Q might be too much to ask.
> You went for a stroll...
"I do not comprehend."

theshim
May 1, 2012

Finished the game, P4side, Hard. 64 hours clocked.

Really, really unbalanced and terribly easy, and it leaned too hard on character gimmicks, but still a ton of fun.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Moltrey posted:

How redundant is it to use both Kanji and Akihiko in the same team?. I know folks keep saying you can get through just using who you like fine enough, but I don't want to make it harder for myself if I'd just picked someone else. I'll probably use P4MC/Yosuke/Kanji/Yukiko and I guess whoever would fill in those gaps. I'm open to anyone really, but I just like Akihiko's straight shooting bout punching things and he was real handy during P3
I used the two of them with no issues. Kanji was the Myriad Arrows dude while I focused Akihiko around links, both did just fine.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Lynkericious posted:

When do I get the ability to Sacrifice my Personas? It's getting to be a bit of a pain not being able to. Also yeah, I can see why everyone's saying FOE's are really easy in this game now. It's kind of ridiculous that in the second dungeon I wandered into a room with two FOEs and mercilessly murdered them. Good lord, that damage from Kanji spamming Swift Strike! :stonklol:
The ones in the second labyrinth are particularly easy to handle since you can trivially get first strikes on them, which is nice. This happens with a surprisingly large number of FOEs, including all of the ones in the last dungeon :getin:

theshim
May 1, 2012

They also always give higher level personas, which are useful for sacrifices if nothing else.

theshim
May 1, 2012

They didn't include ailment resistances or immunity in this, which is a huge gaping flaw. If there's ever a PQ2, I strongly expect to see ailments nerfed, light/dark nerfed, magic buffed, and resistances as a whole played with.

One of the things that really threw me off from liking this too much was the fact that I don't think there's a single null on anything in the game besides light/dark, zero repel/drains, and not all that many resists. That's more EO, where things only resist stuff (sometimes taking almost no damage from it, but still), and it didn't really transition well for a game relying on the Persona systems.

theshim
May 1, 2012

minimalist posted:

Just started the second labyrinth, and the limit of having only 14 sub-personas in my stock has been chafing for a while, especially as I now have more than 14 persona users. Will there be a way to expand the stock soon, or have I missed something obvious?
Nope, 14's all you get. You're expected to pick a party and stick with it.

There is a mechanic for clearing out some of them, at least, that you unlock around halfway through the second labyrinth.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Beat the first boss, glad to see Naoto is still an annoying exposition fairy. :cripes:

I suppose that's my fault for picking the P4 side and man is it loving weird to hear blue jesus talking.

Now I have like a thousand dudes no idea who to use, def keeping Kanji and using Akihiko, not sure on the back row, is Aigis any good?
Aigis is a super good tank and solid overall. It's worth making sure the P3MC keeps up in levels, though, so if you're not using him you probably should stick the highest Growth accessory you have at any point on him.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Rangpur posted:

I am 90% certain his counter can trigger repeatedly & goes off the same turn you break a vow. Unless that's tied to difficulty level?
Yeah, one turn I didn't know what his vows were or wasn't paying attention or something and four of my party ate counters.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I'm virtually certain that nothing nulls anything besides light and dark.

This is more of an EO thing than a Persona thing but it makes the battle system that much more busted.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

thank god inaba pride was only four floors, it was not a fun labyrinth imo
It's really the fourth floor that overstayed its welcome, but yeah. Still not as bad as EO4's third land though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

Len posted:

Yes but you apparently have godly luck and can actually use panic on bosses. I've still not gotten to panic any boss.
I did the final boss fight with only one panic landing at the very end at around level 70. It's not that bad.

• Locked thread