Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

timp posted:

Okay I’ll admit, this one doesn’t seem so bad...in fact I kinda like. But to be fair, I’m not a pro photographer. I’m not even an amateur photographer! What’s so bad about this one? Is it just the cranked up HDR?

Caveat: subjective opinion follows.

It is sepia as all gently caress which makes it hard to determine any of the actual colours in the scene. Compositionally, half of the image is a staircase / alley which adds nothing. Is the subject of the photo the shop? If so why? There is nothing remarkable about it at all. The big black lampost poking into the top right looks stupid. Is that lens flare at the bottom? Dirty lens? Looks crap either way. Contrast slider is aaaaaaaaaaaaall the way up. And it's so. loving. Yellow. Also watermark. I challenge anyone to find an actually good, well composed, exposed and edited image on flickr that has been watermarkerd by the photographer.

Content:

The Little Man by valjfal, on Flickr

Am I having a stroke?

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

One Top Tip To Getting Amazing Bokeh For Free The Pros Don't Want You To Know!!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Another way to figure out why a photo is bad is to think about what you could do in the scene to make it better.

Like moving to the right a bunch to get the storefront more in view might have worked, there's a clear subject there with lots of detail to shoot so maybe there's a good photo there. Or they could have moved to the left and angled the camera up the street, assuming there's anything interesting up the road. Or an abstract look with the staircase and the corner pillar might be worth a play.

But as shot it's a hot mess trying to distract from the flaws with color grading. No clear subject and poo poo distractions everywhere.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I challenge anyone to find an actually good, well composed, exposed and edited image on flickr that has been watermarkerd by the photographer.
These ones.

(That photographer's main gallery page includes a man's balls but not cock, so whether it's SFW depends on where ones employer draws the line.)

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Baker Street by Lana Pahl / Country Star Photography, on Flickr

Good job they watermarked this or I would have stolen it for my portfolio.

Terrible photo, but I want to go there and take pictures at that location, because one of the reasons I hate this is I think good opportunity is there.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Unbelievably perfect.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

someone get cindy a forums account right fuckin now

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
It's me. I'm Cindy. Hi.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Got any more treasures on that old computer Cindy? I love your vision!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Follow me on Flickr to find out!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

WOW! wonderful creation, Cindy!!! great colors!!

Dry Season DUC #897 by Cindy Mc, on Flickr

Almost 2 images uploaded every day for 14 years and this lady has not improved a single goddamn bit.

And apparently is having the time of her life doing it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Her About page is something wonderful, it's like a blend of Geocities and Myspace with a huge gear list added to the bottom. The dead image hitcounter links just add to it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Cindy Mc, welcome to the palace of Those Who Own

I will brook no insult of this wonderful artist

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Ever end up following someone on flickr follows you (along with like 100,000 people whose work then cannot honestly ever actually view cos who could look at 100,000 people's photos) who shoots your style of photography but just not quite as good yet has 5000 views per pic and 400 likes, and because the subject is based on the season it's like here's your well shot highly detailed version of a similar shot with 12 likes and you see theirs with 456 likes and 20 comments like "amazing details" "astonishing" and you want to reply with if you like that have a look a this, but you know that's not how it works.

I'm only a little bitter

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well it's social media, even though Flickr is the web 1.0 version of it. Instagram is the same: You have to aggressively whore yourself out to get those views and likes.

So if you have any shred of decency and only post and star the poo poo you like you're never gonna get bonkers view counts.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The comments on that image are peak Boomer Facebook.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Maybe not explicitly bad photography but holy gently caress

https://twitter.com/Tyler_Macin17/status/1264717951757737984

:stare: :stare: :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Click through and look at the replies, it gets """better"""

from what I can glean:

the owner of the company made a website "exposing the smear campaign against the innocent videography company he hired" with the header image being what I can only imagine is an image of the poor dude that is either edited or just poorly shot to make him look deranged

The owner also posted on the official facebook page a post about how on May 20th one of their employees took their own life, when in reality that person either passed away in 2018, has no connection to the company, or just plain doesn't exist

The owner also apparently has been arrested for business fraud before.

Because it's all internet drama I dunno how much of that is true, but if you hosed up so hard that any of those allegations can be tossed around about your business you should probably just..... stop

It's...... impressive.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://twitter.com/jessejohnclark/status/1264984824340594688?s=21

Replies are basically ‘yes, it absolutely is you, you utter psycho’.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Jesse John Francis Clark, his name is my name too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I fully support businesses torching their brand because it makes for a fun read, but with a history of fraud we all know this guy is just going to shut it down, fire up a new LLC, and go right back to business. So let's fire him into the sun.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

Jesse John Francis Clark, his name is my name too.
“Jesse JFC” is something you both probably read a lot, huh

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
People with two first names are automatically definitely insane but this guy has 4 so

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

When tepid photographer spam posts into every subreddit he can find, not realizing he included one to mock bad photos.

https://www.reddit.com/r/shittyHDR/comments/gspbad/portrait_with_sebastien/

(Didn't pick up on it until I saw the comment).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bet he was quivering with excitement when he got his post bot set up, convinced the path to building his brand was one or two upvotes at a time. Hope it was a free one.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

xzzy posted:

WOW! wonderful creation, Cindy!!! great colors!!

Dry Season DUC #897 by Cindy Mc, on Flickr

The shareware nonviolent Christian ripoff of Twisted Metal for PS1.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
If you want me to buy your photo retouching tools, maybe don't use a photo that looks like rear end in your marketing for them?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Mmmm... The K-Rock chromatic shock...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

gently caress yeah gonna toss a bunch of plastic in a river to get the worst waterfall shots ever taken.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/amp/tutorials/photo-ideas-waterfalls-with-light-trails-shoot-a-landscape-with-a-twist

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

xzzy posted:

gently caress yeah gonna toss a bunch of plastic in a river to get the worst waterfall shots ever taken.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/amp/tutorials/photo-ideas-waterfalls-with-light-trails-shoot-a-landscape-with-a-twist

now i'm angry, nature doesn't need anything added to be more beautiful.

I DM'd their Instagram

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 20, 2020

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

the photos are awful but they did claim to have taken the glowsticks with them

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

the photos are awful but they did claim to have taken the glowsticks with them

I'd be more concerned about anyone that emulates them not cleaning up. It's a real irresponsible technique to promote.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

xzzy posted:

I'd be more concerned about anyone that emulates them not cleaning up. It's a real irresponsible technique to promote.

Yeah that's my concern. I just think it's inappropriate, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to catch all the glow sticks.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Looks like they already took that link down? Because it goes to a different article now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The video they built the article on is still up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdRfI3jPRuI

Suspicious amount of hate in the past day for a three year old video!

edit - oh lol they set it unlisted though.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 21, 2020

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

xzzy posted:

The video they built the article on is still up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdRfI3jPRuI

Suspicious amount of hate in the past day for a three year old video!

edit - oh lol they set it unlisted though.

can't get to it now through link either

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
This photo was on the Flickr explore tab for ... reasons??? Good job its watermarked or I would had this printed and hung above my bed.

516 views, 108 faves, 42 comments.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Explore got a lot better recently (in some ways, it's still broken in others), but disasters like that manage to sneak in sometimes and it's hilarious. Some dude's auto mode snapshot smushed between a couple nice abstract urban scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Algorithms are always going to be based on traffic and attention not quality. There are some popular accounts that produce some really horrific stuff.

The worst of flickr definitely still the guys taking street creep shots though.