Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Now that it is the day of all-consumption, it is time to start preparing to spend your hard earned guineas on other people. During this season of consumerism, with all of the many choices that humanity has rained upon us, how will you ever decide what those things will be?

Never fear goons, other goons are here to help. Please use this thread to ask for aid in all of your gifting needs. Whether it's for Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, SASSmas or for yourself just because, if you give us an honest description of your needs we'll give you honest feedback. (Or at least I will. I cannot make claims for other people.)

What you have to do: Fill out as much of the following information as possible to give the helpful elves as much background as possible. You know more about this person than we do.

Who is your giftee:
Budget:
Giftee's age:
Known likes/interests:
Known hates/allergies:
Type of gift you are looking for:
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past:

For Example:
Who is your giftee: My Mutha
Budget: $100
Giftee's age: 99
Known likes/interests:Being old, doing jazzercise, Taylor Swift
Known hates/allergies:Technology, bright sunlight, kids on her lawn
Type of gift you are looking for:Something practical but sweet
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: She loved that rocking chair I got her, until I nailed it to the floor

See, just that easy. And then we give you magical answers. We await your queries.

If, however, you're that type of person who only knows what to get people once you've seen it, here are some websites that you might find helpful for browsing purposes*:

Goon-Made Gifts in the SA Mart
2014 Handmade gifts thread
Perpetual Kid - for goofy, mostly gag type gifts
The Hunger Site - Funky gifts that are fair trade and support a cause that you can choose (literacy, ending hunger, support for animals, etc.)
Hipcycle - For the eco-friendly
Uncommon Goods - Bunch of random things that will usually spark a thought
The Grommet - Unique and innovative products and sellers (their description, not mine, but I have found some fun gifts on here before)
This is Why I'm Broke - Some serious gifts, some seriously awesome gifts for the billionaire in your life. Great place for ideas
More sites to check
And in case there's anyone who hasn't heard of it Think Geek is at least the starting place for geeky gifts
What not to buy

Scoutmob.com - Homemade gifts from smaller/independent retailers - Thanks, Miranda!

If anyone has other great sites that they want to share I'll be keeping a lookout in the thread and I'll edit them into this post.
And Googling "Gifts for 'x' lovers" will typically get you something as well.

Happy gifting!!

*I do not work for any of these companies, I'm just a friendly penguin who enjoys providing information. That being said, if anyone wants access to Consumer Reports, first, check your local library for both print or online copies, but if no luck there, PM me and I can get you access.

a friendly penguin fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
Uncommon goods is awesome and Scoutmob is also a cool website for gifts. I'm struggling as to what to get my husband, might be going with an iPad. But in case anyone has some ideas!

Relationship to giftee: husband (I am wife)
Budget: $300
Giftee's age: 30
Known likes/interests: UGA football, ATL Braves, basketball (playing and coaching HS), delicious foods, music (thinking spotify sub as one thing), working out
Known hates/allergies: nothing of note
Type of gift you are looking for: something awesome! Something thoughtful and cool and probably practical/useful.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: engraved cufflinks, beats pill, toiletries bag, few items of clothing (have bought him a couple of shirts already from old navy's sale), a wii, various books (mostly non fiction, political, have bought him the latest chuck klosterman already)

Ideas?

Miranda fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 30, 2014

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Miranda posted:

Uncommon goods is awesome and Scoutmob is also a cool website for gifts. I'm struggling as to what to get my husband, might be going with an iPad. But in case anyone has some ideas!

Relationship to giftee: husband (I am wife)
Budget: $300
Known likes/interests: UGA football, ATL Braves, basketball (playing and coaching HS), delicious foods, music (thinking spotify sub as one thing), working out
Known hates/allergies: nothing of note
Type of gift you are looking for: something awesome! Something thoughtful and cool and probably practical/useful.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: engraved cufflinks, beats pill, toiletries bag, few items of clothing (have bought him a couple of shirts already from old navy's sale), a wii, various books (mostly non fiction, political, have bought him the latest chuck klosterman already)

Ideas?

Sonos Sound System? Mostly wireless home sound system that can be controlled from any smart device anywhere in the house. Multiple speakers can go in multiple rooms and be playing different music from each. You can set up playlists or choose one song at at time from the app. If you click on any of the main options from that link it goes into details about its other cool features.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
HELP ME I WANT TO BE THE COOL AUNT BUT KIDS THESE DAYS I TELL YA

Relationship to giftee: Soon to be Aunt
Budget: ~$100
Giftee's age: 13 y/o boy
Known likes/interests: Football, track
Known hates/allergies: None?
Type of gift you are looking for: Something that'll make the kid go "omg you are so cool this is what all the kids like wow i'm glad my mom married your brother just because you are cool"
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: None, first holiday with these guys

There's also a 5 year old but man little kids are easy, get 'em something that makes noise and is flashy and they're good to go, but I don't know what teenage boys like :(

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Relationship to giftee: Younger sister (he's my brother)
Budget: $50?
Giftee's age: 24
Known likes/interests: SPORTS, drinking, and exercising are the major ones. specifically weight lifting and football.
Known hates/allergies: he hates cheese
Type of gift you are looking for: Something useful. i feel like most of the poo poo I've given him in the past has been in the "oh that's nice" category that then gets trashed during spring cleaning.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: I've never had much luck. He likes getting just money off course, but I'd prefer getting him something, uh, not so cold.

deviltry
Nov 1, 2010

"Don't be humble. You're not that great."

aidoru posted:

Known likes/interests: SPORTS, drinking, and exercising are the major ones. specifically weight lifting and football.
Type of gift you are looking for: Something useful. i feel like most of the poo poo I've given him in the past has been in the "oh that's nice" category that then gets trashed during spring cleaning.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: I've never had much luck. He likes getting just money off course, but I'd prefer getting him something, uh, not so cold.

You mentioned he likes exercise. How about one of these fitness trackers? Super compact.
Fitbit Zip Wireless Activity Tracker

deviltry
Nov 1, 2010

"Don't be humble. You're not that great."

Miranda posted:

Ideas?

You mentioned delicious foods. Have you thought of a foodie subscription service?
They usually send you a box of random, fun goodies a month. Depending on the theme: Like a Craft Beer Club ?

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Women's Rights? posted:

Type of gift you are looking for: Something that'll make the kid go "omg you are so cool this is what all the kids like wow i'm glad my mom married your brother just because you are cool"
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: None, first holiday with these guys

There's also a 5 year old but man little kids are easy, get 'em something that makes noise and is flashy and they're good to go, but I don't know what teenage boys like :(

Teens are really hard but most of them are obsessed with technology and video games. Your best bet for something that he would use is a gift card for his iphone or xbox or whatever system he has. However, what will make you the cool aunt is if you then challenge him to a video game off in order to get it or something similar. To him you're just a weird adult until you do something to prove that you're relatable. Even if you're terrible at the game he'll have something to talk to you about then.

But if a gift card is too much of a non-gift try something like this or this because teens either want to be different or enjoy crude humor or both!

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

a friendly penguin posted:

Teens are really hard but most of them are obsessed with technology and video games. Your best bet for something that he would use is a gift card for his iphone or xbox or whatever system he has. However, what will make you the cool aunt is if you then challenge him to a video game off in order to get it or something similar. To him you're just a weird adult until you do something to prove that you're relatable. Even if you're terrible at the game he'll have something to talk to you about then.

But if a gift card is too much of a non-gift try something like this or this because teens either want to be different or enjoy crude humor or both!

Oh that sneaker customization kit looks really cool, and I know he likes his running shoes. thanks!

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

aidoru posted:

Gym membership? Brother-sister athletic day out?- Like rock climbing or biking. Beer of the month subscription? These are options not easily thrown away.

You said he lifts weights, does he also juice? You could get him a decent blender/juicer.

Or deviltry's idea of a fitness tracker is good too.

AbandonShip
Dec 25, 2007

I have no gift finding issues as of yet, but I love this thread each year and adding ideas!

Gym membership? Brother-sister athletic day out?- Like rock climbing or biking. Beer of the month subscription? These are options not easily thrown away.

You said he lifts weights, does he also juice? You could get him a decent blender/juicer.

Or deviltry's idea of a fitness tracker is good too.

Beer of the month is a great idea. Heck, anything-of-the-month is one of my favorite gifts to give these days. You can pretty much find one for any guy or girl. Pet lover? Barkbox. Nerdy/geeky? Lootcrate. My dad loves fishing and I found a tackle-of-the-month box to give. There are so many food boxes, personal care (like birchbox) I love them because you can usually buy several months and not break the bank, and it's a gift that keeps giving! I'm sure there's a fitness one somewhere.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.

Women's Rights? posted:

An autographed 8x10 from the star player of the football team he likes?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Women's Rights? posted:

As an Aunt, you are bound by Gift Law to give them socks. Plus whatever cool thing you want.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

For anyone looking for a useful but thoughtful gift for a dude, check out Styled by Denise on etsy. She makes wallets (and other leather items) where she'll inscribe anything you want on it, or draw a picture as well. I bought a wallet last year for my boyfriend and he loved it. Her Facebook has other pictures to check out: https://www.facebook.com/StyledByDeniss/

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Who is your giftee: Partner's parents
Budget: £25
Giftee's age: 54-58
Known likes/interests: Running/fitness generally, decorative sticks, having a tidy house, not really into alcohol but not adverse. They're pretty 'hip' for parents but I'm not so sure of their particular likes/dislikes.
Known hates/allergies: None that I know of...
Type of gift you are looking for: Something quirky.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: I've only ever made them consumables (limoncello, chocolate bark, fudge) and those went down well but I think it's time for a change.

Who is your giftee: Dad
Giftee's age: 56
Known likes/interests: Bagpipes, Scottish stuff, straight razor shaving, Doctor Who (classic and modern), Star Trek, history, computers
Known hates/allergies: Nothing, really. He is prediabetic so not sugary poo poo.
Type of gift you are looking for: Something practical and/or that he would not just think to buy himself (this is the main problem)
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Bagpipe tune books, history books, computer part cufflinks.

I've hit a year where all my good present ideas have been used up and I'm just feeling totally uninspired.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Bollock Monkey posted:

Who is your giftee: Partner's parents
Giftee's age: 54-58
Known likes/interests: Running/fitness generally, decorative sticks, having a tidy house, not really into alcohol but not adverse. They're pretty 'hip' for parents but I'm not so sure of their particular likes/dislikes.
Known hates/allergies: None that I know of...
Type of gift you are looking for: Something quirky.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: I've only ever made them consumables (limoncello, chocolate bark, fudge) and those went down well but I think it's time for a change.

Are there any activities that they enjoy doing together?
Do they host? - http://www.eat-live-sleep.com/#!serveware-kitchen/c1hha
Do they travel? - http://www.gettingpersonal.co.uk/gifts/cork-board-world-map.htm
Do they drink adventurous tea? - http://www.twinings.co.uk/tea/pick-mix
Do they get nostalgic? - (with a little digging and probably cheaper to DIY) http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/vinylvillage/product/vinyl-records-framed-to-order-by-year
Do they take pride in their family history? - http://www.heraldry.co.uk/bespoke.htm

quote:

Known likes/interests: Bagpipes, Scottish stuff, straight razor shaving, Doctor Who (classic and modern), Star Trek, history, computers
Known hates/allergies: Nothing, really. He is prediabetic so not sugary poo poo.
Type of gift you are looking for: Something practical and/or that he would not just think to buy himself (this is the main problem)
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Bagpipe tune books, history books, computer part cufflinks.

I've hit a year where all my good present ideas have been used up and I'm just feeling totally uninspired.

For some reason from your description of him, I'm imagining a rugged outdoorsman and so found this list of possibilities: http://dodoburd.com/gifts-for-manly-men

Otherwise, how about a multi tool?

Notonthehighstreet.com seemed to have a lot of fun gifts to peruse, if none of these suggestions get your approval.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks a ton for the gift suggestions (I've been busy and couldn't reply until now) -- now I can get him stuff for the holidays and have ideas leftover for his birthday!

Bollock Monkey posted:

If your dad likes books, try getting him an e-book reader? Since you said those have been successful in the past. It seems like you can find any topic you like in an e-book, and they can be useful for older people, as well (larger text, etc).

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Who is your giftee: Nephew
Budget: $25
Giftee's age: 5
Known likes/interests: Science
Known hates/allergies: N/A
Type of gift you are looking for: Science toy. I considered a microscope but I don't know how cool a $25 kids microscope is.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Previous gifts have just been your usual dinosaur/monster/action figure things you'd get a young boy.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

me your dad posted:

Type of gift you are looking for: Science toy. I considered a microscope but I don't know how cool a $25 kids microscope is.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Previous gifts have just been your usual dinosaur/monster/action figure things you'd get a young boy.

This should be super easy for you. STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) is a really big concept in education right now. You should be able to walk into any toystore and find a lot of options for cool science gifts and toys that are not just your run of the mill microscopes and chemistry kits of years past. Try things like Snap Circuits and Lego Mindstorms.

Or take a look at these: http://io9.com/ingenious-gifts-for-people-who-love-science-1666931880/+whitsongordon

Aradekasta
May 20, 2007
Who is your giftee: Parents
Budget: $300 total (could be one joint gift or ~$150 each)
Giftee's age: late 50s
Known likes/interests: Mom is a nurse who likes to read, usually romance. Dad is an IT consultant, travels a lot but is picky about his gear, always has the latest gadgets. They like the beach and are New England residents but Florida snowbirds. They love cats. They're really low-key and like to just sit around and read/watch TV/eat/hang out.
Known hates/allergies: "Experience" gifts like theater tickets haven't gotten much love. Uncomfortable with gift cards, charitable donations, anything with obvious dollar amounts. Not physically active at all. Both awful cooks. Not really into alcohol. Mom is allergic to scents and perfumes and isn't into spa stuff. Dad hates Apple products.
Type of gift you are looking for: Something I can buy online and ship to their place.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Kindles, a weather station, souvenirs from recent travels. Got some little tchotchkes from my new city but need a "big" gift. Considering: remote car starter (but aren't they a pain to install?), new TV to replace the old one in their New England house (but Dad would probably want to pick this out himself).

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Aradekasta posted:

new TV to replace the old one in their New England house (but Dad would probably want to pick this out himself).

If you call a local store you can definitely work it out for him to pick out the TV and your CCN# to be charged for it, shouldn't take more than a phone call.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

me your dad posted:

Sea monkeys and a grow-your-own mushroom kit.

Aradekasta
May 20, 2007

Arnold of Soissons posted:

If you call a local store you can definitely work it out for him to pick out the TV and your CCN# to be charged for it, shouldn't take more than a phone call.

Yeah, but then they'd have to look at the prices. If we got a TV my sister would go in on it and a $600ish TV is more than enough for their needs, but they'd never in a million years go knowingly spend $600 of their kids' money, even if they'd accept the exact same thing that we bought at the exact same store and then brought to their house with a bow on it. They're well off now but grew up poor and are super weird about money.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Who is your giftee: grandmother
Budget: $50
Giftee's age: 75
Known likes/interests: baking, gardening, trying out interesting coffee shops, cleaning/organizing the house
Known hates/allergies: not surprisingly she isn't that big on technology, also she is hard of hearing so movies and the like are out
Type of gift you are looking for: physical item rather than a gift card or date, since I usually take her out for lunch for her birthday
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: serving platters, teapots, things that are difficult for a grandson to pick out...

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Aradekasta posted:

Known likes/interests: Mom is a nurse who likes to read, usually romance. Dad is an IT consultant, travels a lot but is picky about his gear, always has the latest gadgets. They like the beach and are New England residents but Florida snowbirds. They love cats. They're really low-key and like to just sit around and read/watch TV/eat/hang out.
Known hates/allergies: "Experience" gifts like theater tickets haven't gotten much love. Uncomfortable with gift cards, charitable donations, anything with obvious dollar amounts. Not physically active at all. Both awful cooks. Not really into alcohol. Mom is allergic to scents and perfumes and isn't into spa stuff. Dad hates Apple products.
Type of gift you are looking for: Something I can buy online and ship to their place.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Kindles, a weather station, souvenirs from recent travels. Got some little tchotchkes from my new city but need a "big" gift. Considering: remote car starter (but aren't they a pain to install?), new TV to replace the old one in their New England house (but Dad would probably want to pick this out himself).

How are they with technology? I got an Internet connected Thermostat this summer and I would put being able to turn the heat up from the couch without standing up in the same class as using a TV remote for the first time. I've lived my whole life without it, but... I could never go back.

Mine is the ecobee, and I love it.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Who is your giftee: Boyfriend's parents
Budget: $50-100
Giftee's age: 60s
Known likes/interests: He's a vet, she has papillons, they live in rural new york and are slowly spending more time at the gated trailer park retirement home in Florida, they raise bees sometimes, they love lobster, their ginormous truck, and buying themselves everything their hearts desire
Known hates/allergies: Democrats, incompetence, government regulations
Type of gift you are looking for: Something halfway thoughtful for people who literally have everything
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: I've done charity Bees in their name, a nice 8x10 wall print of boyfriend (son), Mead.

My current idea is to get them some kind of genealogy research subscription but I don't know how legit those are.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Defenestration posted:

Known likes/interests: He's a vet, she has papillons, they live in rural new york and are slowly spending more time at the gated trailer park retirement home in Florida, they raise bees sometimes, they love lobster, their ginormous truck, and buying themselves everything their hearts desire
Type of gift you are looking for: Something halfway thoughtful for people who literally have everything
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: I've done charity Bees in their name, a nice 8x10 wall print of boyfriend (son), Mead.

My current idea is to get them some kind of genealogy research subscription but I don't know how legit those are.

You might consider one of those DNA test things, those are down into your price range now, and don't require a lot of effort on their part. Swab the cheek, send it away, and get a nice binder full of full-color charts about their genetic heritage. The science is a little 'eh'. But the presentation is solid as hell. Some risk that it will put paid to the 'I'm 1/16th Cherokee' claim though.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Aradekasta posted:

Whenever I hear New England, I always think that person lives in the back woods. So my gifting brain goes to Rain Barrels and Solar Panels and Composters and things that people use when they do not have access to all of the amenities that city dwellers do. I'm not sure if this is the case with your parents.
But if they are more often abandoning their house for sunny Florida, then they might appreciate programmable timer lights to make it look like the house isn't vacant or
bluetooth locks for their doors so that they can make sure that the door is locked, or if someone needs to get into the house while they are gone, they can send ekeys to that person's smart phone rather than needing to provide a physical key.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

MoosetheMooche posted:

Who is your giftee: grandmother
Budget: $50
Giftee's age: 75
Known likes/interests: baking, gardening, trying out interesting coffee shops, cleaning/organizing the house
Known hates/allergies: not surprisingly she isn't that big on technology, also she is hard of hearing so movies and the like are out
Type of gift you are looking for: physical item rather than a gift card or date, since I usually take her out for lunch for her birthday
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: serving platters, teapots, things that are difficult for a grandson to pick out...

Does she have any special recipes that she might want to pass on? You could purchase a recipe holder/book. And you can get those things personalized so that it's more like an heirloom and then help her fill it with all of the recipes that she likes best.

Does she have a gardening stool? A special one with pockets for all of her implements? Or there are gardening gift baskets that I'm sure would contain all sorts of goodies for her to enjoy.

You also said that she likes to clean and organize the house. Urbio is a really fun way to organize houseplants or other knick knacks in someone's house. That would cover two birds with one stone.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Defenestration posted:

There's always Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com/cs/gifts?o_iid=45554&o_lid=45554&o_sch=Web+Property)

Because your parents are also people who leave their homes, see my previous suggestions of lights on timers and bluetooth locks, rain barrels and composters.

And since they seem like good, Eagle loving Americans who want to stay off the grid as much as possible: https://www.lehmans.com/c-391-usa-made.aspx

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Who is your giftee: Husband (I am wife)
Budget: $200
Giftee's age: 25
Known likes/interests:Guns, vodka, beer, Steelers football, military history, dogs, Russian movies, HBO/Showtime/AMC series like Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Homeland, etc. He also likes survival stuff, he likes to watch shows like Naked and Afraid, Alaska: The Last Frontier and Doomsday Preppers (but isn't a prepper, thankfully).
Known hates/allergies: He's very anti-technology. He refuses to get a smartphone or a e-reader or anything even though it'd improve his life immensely. He likes to read a lot and I've offered to get him a kindle and he refuses. He owns an iPad that he got as a gift but still refuses to use iBooks. He's a very stubborn person.
Type of gift you are looking for: He claims he doesn't want presents but he says he's gotten me something so I'd feel like an rear end in a top hat not giving him anything.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: High-end alcohol always goes over well, as do gun accessories like a nice sight for his rifle and shooting targets. I got him a few Steelers things last year, along with the Reagan and Teddy Roosevelt prints from this guy which were a huge hit.

In general he's a very hard person to shop for since he is the least materialistic person I know and if he needs/wants something he'll just order it for himself. By some miracle he did throw out one idea of something he'd like (a replacement for his favorite sweater the dog chewed a hole in) and his mom jumped on it and bought it for him immediately leaving me high and dry for gift ideas. He doesn't ever buy clothes for himself and does wear clothes that other people buy for him, but I feel weird buying him the same present as his mom.

Now here's the catch: he's military and deploying 3 days after Christmas. So if I went with the old standby of the most expensive bottle of vodka I can find at the liquor store he'd only be able to enjoy it for 2 days before he deploys. Same thing for any gun accessories since he can't take his personal guns with him. I've purchased a bottle of vodka and am planning on giving it to him early so he can drink it before he leaves, but I still want to get him a thing to open on Christmas that he'll be able to enjoy while he's deployed too. I was thinking maybe a box set of DVDs of a show he hasn't seen/finished yet, but I'm not sure what's left that he hasn't already watched since I sent him a giant pile of movies last time he deployed.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Who is your giftee: Husband (I am wife)
Budget: $200
Giftee's age: 25
Known likes/interests:Guns, vodka, beer, Steelers football, military history, dogs, Russian movies, HBO/Showtime/AMC series like Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Homeland, etc. He also likes survival stuff, he likes to watch shows like Naked and Afraid, Alaska: The Last Frontier and Doomsday Preppers (but isn't a prepper, thankfully).
Known hates/allergies: He's very anti-technology. He refuses to get a smartphone or a e-reader or anything even though it'd improve his life immensely. He likes to read a lot and I've offered to get him a kindle and he refuses. He owns an iPad that he got as a gift but still refuses to use iBooks. He's a very stubborn person.
Type of gift you are looking for: He claims he doesn't want presents but he says he's gotten me something so I'd feel like an rear end in a top hat not giving him anything.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: High-end alcohol always goes over well, as do gun accessories like a nice sight for his rifle and shooting targets. I got him a few Steelers things last year, along with the Reagan and Teddy Roosevelt prints from this guy which were a huge hit.

In general he's a very hard person to shop for since he is the least materialistic person I know and if he needs/wants something he'll just order it for himself. By some miracle he did throw out one idea of something he'd like (a replacement for his favorite sweater the dog chewed a hole in) and his mom jumped on it and bought it for him immediately leaving me high and dry for gift ideas. He doesn't ever buy clothes for himself and does wear clothes that other people buy for him, but I feel weird buying him the same present as his mom.

Now here's the catch: he's military and deploying 3 days after Christmas. So if I went with the old standby of the most expensive bottle of vodka I can find at the liquor store he'd only be able to enjoy it for 2 days before he deploys. Same thing for any gun accessories since he can't take his personal guns with him. I've purchased a bottle of vodka and am planning on giving it to him early so he can drink it before he leaves, but I still want to get him a thing to open on Christmas that he'll be able to enjoy while he's deployed too. I was thinking maybe a box set of DVDs of a show he hasn't seen/finished yet, but I'm not sure what's left that he hasn't already watched since I sent him a giant pile of movies last time he deployed.

A little above your stated budget but what about the Ken Burns Roosevelts?
http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?productId=37833116&cp=13133725.1412587&ab=C3spot_KenBurns&parentPage=family

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I think he's seen that one, but he does like stuff along those lines. We watch a lot of documentaries.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
What are some interesting gift ideas for someone with an Xbox One that are preferably under $20?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So there's a campaign at work to donate gifts to homeless students in our area. Out of 450 possible students, they had signups to cover 350 of them and needed some more, last minute. So I signed up to get a gift about $25 for a homeless 11 year old girl. From their website:

Homeless Students qualify as:
Sharing a house with another family due to loss of housing, or loss of income (financial hardship);
Not sleeping at a consistent location;
Awaiting foster care placement;
Living in motels, trailer parks/campgrounds, emergency or transitional shelters, cars, parks, abandoned buildings, bus/train stations, or similar environments; or
A youth on their own. (YOTO)

Their suggestion list is "books, puzzles, toys, games, stuffed animals and craft items, sports balls/playground equipment, legos, small electronic games"
They also indicated that it's very likely that this will be the only gift these kids will receive for Christmas. So, uhh, what can I get at Target or Walmart or something local that would wow an 11 year old girl?

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Who is your giftee: Boyfriend
Budget: $35
Giftee's age: 21
Known likes/interests: Video games, technology, cooking, science, cats, fitness
Known hates/allergies: Doesn't like milk.
Type of gift you are looking for: Something cool and fun, I guess.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Last year I got him nanoblocks and magnetic putty, but this year I'm stumped.

Who is your giftee: Little sister
Budget: $35
Giftee's age: 14
Known likes/interests: Webcomics (IIRC her favorite is Cucumber Quest), video games, reading, Nintendo.
Known hates/allergies: None that I can think of, other than not being into dolls and stuff.
Type of gift you are looking for: Something that'll entertain her for a while, or something that she'll have a good time with.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Last year I just got her a gift card because I couldn't think of anything. This year I want to do better.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
I am horrifically bad at buying presents. I am in the UK.

Who is your giftee
: Girl from work that I have been seeing for few months. Not officially bf/gf. She is away in another country temporarily.

Budget: £30-£50

Giftee's age: mid twenties

Known likes/interests: Baking, Strictly Come Dancing, former dancer (ballet, tap), being warm/comfy, sleeping.

Known hates/allergies: n/a

Type of gift you are looking for: Something between what you'd get a friend and what you'd get a girlfriend. No jewellery. I don't mind getting a selection of smaller things. (It's her birthday the week before too...).

Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: n/a

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
I want to give this a shot!

Who is your giftee: My boyfriend; we've been together almost a year and this is our first Christmas together.
Budget: $40 with a little flexibility if something amazing comes up.
Giftee's age: 22
Known likes/interests: Comics (especially Saga, Locke & Key, X-Men, Ex Machina), American animation, guns, military poo poo, craft beers, good homemade food, outdoor gear for cold climates, DnD, old PC games, sci-fi books.
Known hates/allergies: He hates cream of wheat and that's about it.
Type of gift you are looking for: Something he wouldn't get for himself, something kind of frivolous-- he is the kind of guy who takes care of all practical needs immediately as they come up.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: One time I got him a little plush toy of Finn from Adventure Time and he thought it was really cute.

Aradekasta
May 20, 2007

Whenever I hear New England, I always think that person lives in the back woods. So my gifting brain goes to Rain Barrels and Solar Panels and Composters and things that people use when they do not have access to all of the amenities that city dwellers do.

Nah, they live in the burbs. The home automation and the thermostat idea are great though. As far as I can tell their aspiration is to make their non-work lives the platonic ideal of idleness, so things they can use without getting off the couch are perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Aradekasta posted:

Nah, they live in the burbs. The home automation and the thermostat idea are great though. As far as I can tell their aspiration is to make their non-work lives the platonic ideal of idleness, so things they can use without getting off the couch are perfect.

Being able to change your thermostat from the couch is a wonderful experience.

Being able to change it from bed is a life-altering experience.

• Locked thread