Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Olive Branch posted:

We did see a CURRENT_USER Trace... container (?) for Red very briefly in the top left. I assume an ERROR or SUBJECT_NOT_FOUND container is also present in the Country battlefield, I just couldn't find it.
Well, if you're not going to be able to find one of them, he'd be the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Samovar posted:

I honestly can't say I liked this fight too much, mainly because it was... too much a battle of attrition, then running around waiting for the timer to be in your favour.
Yeah, it feels like it should have been more a matter of strategy, with both you and Royce using turn() simultaneously. Making you helpless during his turns and vice versa just makes it a damage race. And a really easy one at that.

But that might be tricky to implement since the player can undo their turn() planning, and would require pretty complicated AI. Maybe it just wasn't practical.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
So, I just re-watched the video, and there's 15 Trace Nodes in the Transistor battlefield. A 3 by 5 grid.

Olive Branch, who are you hiding?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Valgaav posted:

So, I just re-watched the video, and there's 15 Trace Nodes in the Transistor battlefield. A 3 by 5 grid.

Olive Branch, who are you hiding?
There are 16 total Functions (and Subjects) available in-game. Royce Bracket and Red are both in there already, so... could the Country we see actually be ERROR's node? :tinfoil:

(For the record, Royce' Function and background, as well as the remaining Limiter data, will only be revealed in the final video and updated in the OP after posting.)

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
And so we've come to the end. I'll be waiting for your last episode Olive Branch, but I'm curious what you thought was the story that this game was to tell.

I came expecting a noir film, with a dash of technology. I don't think I was wrong in what I got, but it wasn't what I expected.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

I recently learned that some of Royce's lines (you can find them all on YouTube ripped straight from the game's audio files) never actually made it into the final game. That's disappointing, as he has some pretty neat final battle banter. Too bad it's random when he actually says it all.

Footage's pretty much ready to go, barring Royce saying little things like what he's considering what plans. I'll probably just link the appropriate Royce lines video as an accompanying link.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

A new work schedule has kind of made uploading the final video a little difficult. I'll try to have it up tomorrow!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Looking forward to the video whenever work cooperates and lets you upload. I've never tried NG+ myself.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Vil posted:

Looking forward to the video whenever work cooperates and lets you upload. I've never tried NG+ myself.
The worst part is I already have all the files in order. I just need to set time aside to edit the video and write up the subtitles. I also decided not to add the extra work of hunting down all of Royce's battle lines, because I found a collection of them on YouTube and will upload a separate MP3 file for those who are interested in hearing what else he says in fighting.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Hey folks, after much waiting, here is the final update for Transistor! I apologize for the long, long wait. Combination of work and simple procrastination. Totally unprofessional, I know. I put the new Limiter and Function data in spoilers!

Function data:

Limiter data:

This marks the end of the LP. Thank you for joining me on this journey. If you guys want to gush or talk about your views of this game, feel free to do so!

EDIT: As a final mini-bonus I'll be sharing a separate link to even more Royce lines that didn't make it in, as well as some trailers for the game that show what Transistor was to be, and what it became.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 26, 2015

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
And thus ends Transistor. Not with a bang, but with something decidedly other.

I've wanted to comment on this thread for so long, but couldn't bring myself to. Now that it's all over, though, I suppose it's time for a proper rundown of my feelings.

It was a beautiful game, I'll give it that. I did, after all, spend all that time playing it. But it wasn't a game that satisfied my deeper wishes for it, or really went for the more interesting storytelling options available. The story bits were too scattered wide, left understated or unresolved. Even the epic showdown with Royce simply ends in a pretty lackluster ending that explains very little and shunts you off to play the game again. Speaking of, the gameplay was alright. Good, even, once you get the full suite of powers. I even wish there were more enemy variations to go with the tools they'd given us, but I can understand not going overboard there. Even so, by the end of the second playthrough, I'd squeezed most of the joy that I could out of the battle system.

Can a game be said to only be half brilliant? If so, Transistor's there. After Bastion, I'd hoped for a game with more interesting choices. But, like Cloudbank, the freedom of choice was proven fake and false, and even replaying the whole game changes... nothing. Well, functionally nothing. I suppose there's a moral, of a kind, there, but as someone who spent long minutes thinking about the end choice in Bastion, this couldn't have come as more of a disappointment. I'm (almost) over it, though. I don't begrudge Transistor being what it is... and what it is, is certainly not bad. Just not quite my thing.

I'm happy you Let's Played it for us though, Olive Branch! I didn't know Royce commenting on the various powers was a thing once you reached level 30, and it was nice to revisit the game without having to go through the hassle of actually playing it again... which shows the difference between Bastion and Transistor, to me, right there. Bastion I'll gladly power through the game again to re-experience parts of it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Where did those Royce voiceovers on the function setup menu (starting 28:42) come from? I never saw those.

I totally missed Grant and Asher being married when I played. I guess I wasn't paying attention to their names.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 26, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It's a brilliant game but I can't help but feel it's missing something. Bastian has multiple endings, one of which perfectly feeds into a new game plus, and I feel like they could have gone a similar route here. But no, you're railroaded into the one ending.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Scribbleykins posted:

I didn't know Royce commenting on the various powers was a thing once you reached level 30.
He actually doesn't, at least not in-game. I found Royce's audio files and many, many lines were cut from the game. I took the ones that were more "explanatory" and paired them with Functions I felt reflected what it was he was saying. He also has many more battle lines that never made it in (or I got too impatient to find in the battle itself) and I'll be sharing those in a final mini-update.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

JT Jag posted:

It's a brilliant game but I can't help but feel it's missing something. Bastian has multiple endings, one of which perfectly feeds into a new game plus, and I feel like they could have gone a similar route here. But no, you're railroaded into the one ending.

I feel like this game does an excellent job of building up expectations, and has no ability to deliver on them. It's written itself into a corner, a very definite corner, but everything covering the rest of the room is beautiful art. It just can't complete the picture, as easy as it might have been, as simple as it might have seemed to us from afar, no. But what beautiful art it made of the rest of the room!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Olive Branch posted:

He actually doesn't, at least not in-game. I found Royce's audio files and many, many lines were cut from the game. I took the ones that were more "explanatory" and paired them with Functions I felt reflected what it was he was saying. He also has many more battle lines that never made it in (or I got too impatient to find in the battle itself) and I'll be sharing those in a final mini-update.

That's really neat. This game needed more quasi-Jeff Goldbloom from J.P. in it. Thanks for finding them!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I actually like the ending more the more I see it. The music just kills it, and the lack of a choice makes sense because Red is more her own character than the Kid was.

My only real gripe with the game is the gameplay.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
Am I the only one that runs a skillset that only needs Turn() to get out of sticky situations? As in, that room with dozens of Badcells and ~20 Ladys that Transistor tells you to run from: I kill everything in it without Turn()... Or am I a special snowflake?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Blasphemeral posted:

Am I the only one that runs a skillset that only needs Turn() to get out of sticky situations? As in, that room with dozens of Badcells and ~20 Ladys that Transistor tells you to run from: I kill everything in it without Turn()... Or am I a special snowflake?

What do you run exactly? While I did not use Turn() quite as rarely as you, I still spent most time out of it after a certain point. My workhorses were Void() upgraded with Crash() and Purge() and Help() with Ping() and Load(). The only fights that were a problem were those with a lot of Cheerleaders or Stealthies in them.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I still heartily recommend Spark + Switch & Jaunt. Extremely good defensive tool and cell sweeper.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Ah, a beautiful game with a story that was just too ethereal to be good.

In the end, we find out that rather than being the main character, we've been The Transistor, someone who is along for the ride, but never in charge of where we were going, and what we were going to do. Red decides at the end what she wanted, and that was to be with the man she loved, even if it meant going to The Country.

I kind of want a sequel to this game, something where we hear about the event that happened, but gives us much more world building and explanations for what this place is like. But I think Red's story is done, and it's as good as we're going to get without ruining it.

Thanks for the ride Olive Branch, and I'll see you in The Country, or the next LP, whichever comes first.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Aumanor posted:

What do you run exactly? While I did not use Turn() quite as rarely as you, I still spent most time out of it after a certain point. My workhorses were Void() upgraded with Crash() and Purge() and Help() with Ping() and Load(). The only fights that were a problem were those with a lot of Cheerleaders or Stealthies in them.

I'll try and remember to load it up and check tonight, as I don't remember off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure my work horse was Ping() with two specifically chosen riders.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I think I wound up using Crash() with Breach() and Jaunt() as upgrades. You'd get a long range Crash() that was spammable, damaging, and could be used during Turn() recovery.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

By the way guys, the ending is a pun (like everything else in related to the setting). Red and everyone else got backed up to a server farm. At least that's how I saw it. Something of a light gag in spite of everything, really.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Ramos posted:

By the way guys, the ending is a pun (like everything else in related to the setting). Red and everyone else got backed up to a server farm. At least that's how I saw it. Something of a light gag in spite of everything, really.
There are a lot of theories that were floated on this thread, one of them being, "Is Cloudbank a computer, and all the people programs?" I honestly can't disprove the theory, but earlier I said I'd theorize on what I figured the story was about.

Transistor is, at its core, a love story. Red's motivation is to be reunited with her love, one way or another, but she only takes the choice of dying to the Transistor once she realizes there's no way back out once you get inside (the fight with Royce being the rarest of exceptions). In a city where everything was whim and constantly changing, the one thing that could be relied to stay the same was the relationship between Red and her lover. The saying "When everything changes, nothing changes" applies not only to the Camerata's creed and the progress of Cloudbank, but it also struck me as a fundamental truth about love, that being that even when all circumstances change, the love between two people can endure. Whether or not you agree with this is a matter of cynicism, I suppose, but I choose to take the romantic view.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Just finished the game. I thought it was obvious they were in some kind of virtual reality, and I was a little surprised when it seemed the characters didn't know it! One of the terminals implies that the date is April 22, 2067. The game strongly implies that there is something outside Cloudbank. The Transistor urges you to leave, and the reporter lady seems to believe that there is somebody to report to outside of Cloudbank as she makes her last report. After all if you believed your city was the entire world you'd hardly give it a name or talk about leaving.

The writing's a bit schizophrenic on that topic. Maybe it's trying too hard to be cryptic.

And yeah, so many computer jokes. Tranisistor remarks twice that the computer program really hates water.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
I always assumed it was a kind of virtual reality, but like real cloud storage there were multiple separate servers, which one could apply to be transferred from and too. Trouble was the process started formatting even the parts of the server that were necessary to allow for such transfer.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Aumanor posted:

I just loaded up the game for the first time since last July (wow! has it really been that long?) and my last save was right before that room (on NewGame++ or +++ if I remember right). My loadout was saved as Get(Bounce(), Load()) , Void(Breach(), Purge()) , Cull(Void(), Tap()) , Jaunt() and Passive(Crash(), Get()). I ran into the room to try it, and while it's not exactly what I ran with 100% of the time, it's a beast of a setup. Even as out of practice as I was, I cleared the room with only a single Turn() and a single burn-out.

I seem to remember that when I fight the final boss, I usually roll with Jaunt(Crash(), Breach()) , Ping(Void(), Load()) and Ping(Tap(), Breach()) : though I might be a little off on this one, as it's not the one in my save.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Royce looks like a young man but he just sounds so... old and tired. I really like that. He almost seems inhuman.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Final Mini-Update

This should've been up way before this, but you know how it is with me by now.

Here are the extra Royce lines that didn't make it into the game for some reason.

And here are two official trailers for the game, the reveal and launch trailers. Check out how Red moves on the reveal, it's actually kind of silly. There's also some gorgeous art that I used for the video thumbnails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTik6sYT_BE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT55lch6y_U

The game also comes with an amazing soundtrack, both hummed and normal. Here's the official soundtrack without humming...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zA1jRmAYfU

And here it is with humming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57cOmxB12XI

EDIT: Forgot to include the soundtrack!

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 17, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Sounds like they anticipated adding a lot more stuff to Royce's fight, including having him start to do a thing and then change his mind, but that didn't make it into the game.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Sindai posted:

Sounds like they anticipated adding a lot more stuff to Royce's fight, including having him start to do a thing and then change his mind, but that didn't make it into the game.
It'd have been cute, since as a player that happens all the drat time when planning Turn()

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
I just noticed that Sybil has a little process critter on her hat. You can see it clearly in the launch trailer @34s. It's also in the help portrait in the OP too.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Olive Branch, did you ever find time to get that background?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Valgaav posted:

Oh yeah, totally forgot about that! I'll work on something for it over this three day weekend (Victoria Day up here in Canada)!

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
There's a lot of scenes from the trailer I'd love as a background. the artwork for this game is just beautiful, I love that mixture of tech & 20s feel.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Valgaav posted:

Valgaav, would you be satisfied with a background that minimizes text but has the boxes still in it? I ask because there's no way (with my current poor Photoshop skills) for me to draw the line art under the boxes pixel by pixel as smoothly as the original while removing the transparent black rectangles over it.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Olive Branch posted:

Valgaav, would you be satisfied with a background that minimizes text but has the boxes still in it? I ask because there's no way (with my current poor Photoshop skills) for me to draw the line art under the boxes pixel by pixel as smoothly as the original while removing the transparent black rectangles over it.

Quite satisfied, thank you!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

OK Valgaav, after much touching-up and incremental work, I finally finished work on the background. What do you think? It's 1920x1080, but if you want it resized, let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Olive Branch posted:

OK Valgaav, after much touching-up and incremental work, I finally finished work on the background. What do you think? It's 1920x1080, but if you want it resized, let me know.

Oh, that's beautiful. Thank you.

• Locked thread