Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
This is just copy and pasted from the Observer but it's also the most comprehensive guide to the awards:

Voting will start on 12/1 for the 35th annual Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards, which will be released in January. Balloting will end at midnight on January 14, 2013, with results published later in our annual double awards issue.

Voting is only open to Observer subscribers. With the addition of online subscriptions, to vote, you have to send your name, and whether you are subscribing by print or on-line so we can double-check. If you are an online subscriber, please send a receipt from your last order. You can submit ballots by mail, e-mail or fax.

These awards cover the period from December 1, 2013, through November 30, 2014, so keep that in mind while voting. Anything that takes place before or after those dates shouldn't be considered. If you are mailing in a ballot, please do so by Christmas, because holiday mail often slows things up. Every year we get dozens of ballots after deadline, and in some close races, and this year figures to have many, they can make a difference in the final results. If you've got any thoughts on the awards, you are encouraged to send them in to dave@wrestlingobserver.com for publication on the Observer web site.

These awards every year get more mainstream coverage than any pro wrestling awards aside from the exclusively Japanese Tokyo Sports awards.

Just to clarify the major awards, the Lou Thesz/Ric Flair Wrestler of the Year award is open only to working pro wrestlers. The MMA MVP award is similar to the Thesz/Flair award in that it should combine importance to business and drawing power with success in the cage. For both MMA and pro wrestling, there is a separate award for the best in-ring performer, the Most Outstanding Wrestler and Most Outstanding MMA fighter. The MMA award is for purely who had the best year in the ring or the cage, throwing out business considerations, and the Most Outstanding is for who had the best matches over the past year and was the best in-ring wrestler, throwing out business considerations.

There are still some combined MMA/pro wrestling awards such as Best Promotion, Promoter of the Year, Feud of the Year, Best Show and Best Drawing card, because essentially business goals of both pro wrestling and MMA are the same–drawing money and putting on good shows.

In regard to actual competitive (non-worked) matches, the main categories are Most Outstanding MMA fighter and MMA Match of the year. They are open to all MMA rules promotions. Most Outstanding MMA fighter of the year should be based entirely on success in legitimate matches during the time period.

Both performance in the ring as well as drawing power, marketability, value to the promotion and significance during the year among both shoot and worked matches should be considered for the big two awards.

Most Outstanding Wrestler is purely the best in-ring, bell-to-bell performer. Anything that takes place in a legitimate match situation should not be considered.

Best Box Office Draw is self-explanatory. It's open to everyone whether participating in worked or legitimate matches. This is for the person who moves ticket sales, TV ratings and/or PPV sales.

Tag Team of the Year and Most Improved are both limited to worked promotions.

Feud of the Year is about drawing money, creating excitement and delivering in the ring. Shoot feuds and worked feuds are both eligible. Best on Interviews and Most Charismatic are also open to both worked and shoot promotions.

Best Promotion is open to worked and non-worked companies. Match of the Year is only for worked matches. Rookie of the Year is open to only pro wrestlers making a major promotion professional debut after September 1, 2012. Best and Worst TV announcer and Best and Worst Major show are also open to both worked and shoot promotions.

"CATEGORY A" AWARDS. PICK A FIRST, SECOND AND THIRD PLACE FINISHER IN EACH CATEGORY. POINTS WILL BE AWARDED ON A 5-3-2 BASIS. THE WINNER OF THE AWARD IS DETERMINED BY TOTAL POINTS.

1. LOU THESZ/RIC FLAIR AWARD - This is open to pro wrestlers, for a combination of everything, being both important and influential this year in a positive manner from a business perspective, combining both box office impact as well as strong match quality in worked matches. Last year's top three were Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kazuchika Okada and Daniel Bryan.

2. MMA MOST VALUABLE FIGHTER: This is also for a combination of fighting inside the ring and importance outside in a positive manner from a business perspective as well. Last year’s top three were Georges St-Pierre, Ronda Rousey and Jon Jones.

3. MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER: This is based on working ability in the ring only. Simply, the best workers in the world on a consistent basis over the past year. Drawing power, charisma and push shouldn't be considered. Last year's top three were Hiroshi Tanahashi, Daniel Bryan and Kazuchika Okada

4. MOST OUTSTANDING FIGHTER: This should be based on in-ring ability and wins against the top level of competition during the calender year. Last year's top three were Cain Velasquez, Jon Jones and Johny Hendricks.

5. BEST BOX OFFICE DRAW - Based on drawing big houses (or for that matter selling tickets to small houses as the case may be), buy rates and/or television ratings. Ring work shouldn't even be considered. Last year's top three were Georges St-Pierre, The Rock and John Cena.

6. FEUD OF THE YEAR - This should be based on a combination of having a compelling storyline along with having great matches that should strengthen the box office. Last year's top three were Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada, Ronda Rousey vs. Miesha Tate and Hirooki Goto vs. Katsuyori Shibata.

7. TAG TEAM OF THE YEAR - For the best working and most valuable tag team during the previous year. Last year's top three were Seth Rollins & Roman Reigns, Goldust & Cody Rhodes and the Young Bucks.

8. MOST IMPROVED - This is based on making the biggest strides in ring work during the previous year. This should not be for someone who was already good, but was given a bigger push. Last year's top three were Roman Reigns, Tomohiro Ishii and Goldust.

9. BEST ON INTERVIEWS - Who has given the best interviews on a consistent basis over the past year? Reputation from previous years shouldn't be taken into consideration. It should be based on work over the course of the year as opposed to one or two memorable interviews. Last year's top three were Paul Heyman, C.M. Punk and The Rock.

10. MOST CHARISMATIC - What person had to do the least to get the most out of it? Who do crowds naturally react to emotionally even before the person does anything? Last year's top three were Hiroshi Tanahashi, The Rock and John Cena.

11. BEST TECHNICAL WRESTLER - This is for having the ability to use high level technical wrestling moves within the context of building a great worked pro wrestling match. Last year's top three were Daniel Bryan (winning for the ninth straight year), Hiroshi Tanahashi and Antonio Cesaro.

12. BRUISER BRODY MEMORIAL AWARD - This is for the wrestler who uses brawling tactics to put together the best matches during the previous year. It's not for a guy who does brawling matches that aren't any good. Last year's top three were Katsuyori Shibata, Tomohiro Ishii and Kevin Steen.

13. BEST FLYING WRESTLER - This is for the wrestler who does the most innovative and solidly executed flying maneuvers within the context of putting together great wrestling matches. This is not for simply the hottest daredevil moves, which are sometimes hit and sometimes miss. Last year's top three were Kota Ibushi, Ricochet and Adrian Neville.

14. MOST OVERRATED - The wrestler who gets the biggest push, despite lacking ring ability or charisma. Last year's top three were Randy Orton, Ryback and HHH.

15. MOST UNDERRATED - The wrestler with the most ability, who, for whatever reason, doesn't get a push commensurate with their ability. This should be based on this past year, and not a business reputation earned in prior years. Last year's top three were Antonio Cesaro, Dolph Ziggler and Tomohiro Ishii.

16. PROMOTION OF THE YEAR - Should be based on which group put together the best live and television product on a consistent basis, and secondarily, the ability to sell that product at a high level. This means box office and marketing combined with product quality. Theoretically, the top pick should be a company at or near the top on both categories. Last year's top three were New Japan Pro Wrestling, The Ultimate Fighting Championship and World Wrestling Entertainment.

17. BEST WEEKLY TV SHOW - Weekly television shows are the only ones eligible, not monthly shows, specials or individual episodes of a specific program. This is for the best consistent program. Last year's top three were WWE NXT, WWE Raw and Dragon Gate Infinity.

18. PRO WRESTLING MATCH OF THE YEAR - Pick the three best matches, in order, from the time period. Remember, matches from last December are eligible, but nothing after November 30th from this year is eligible. Please list both the date and location of the match, because some matches were held many times during the year. Last year's top three were Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada from April 7, 2013 at Tokyo Sumo Hall, Katsuyori Shibata vs. Tomohiro Ishii from August 4, 2013 in Osaka and Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada from October 14, 2013 at Tokyo Sumo Hall.

19. MMA MATCH OF THE YEAR - Pick the three best matches, in order, from the time period listed. Again, please list both the date and location of the match. Last year's top three were Gilbert Melendez vs. Diego Sanchez from October 19, 2013 in Houston, Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson from September 21, 2013 in Toronto and Wanderlei Silva vs. Brian Stann from March 3, 2013 in Saitama.

20. ROOKIE OF THE YEAR - This is based on ring performance, not how someone is pushed or necessarily even long-term star potential. By the standards of the category, a rookie is someone who hasn't had a regular job with a full-time wrestling company before September 1, 2012. Last year's top three were Yohei Komatsu, Konosuke Takeshita and U-T. Among those eligible are Flyer (CMLL), Rebelde (CMLL), Ashley Remington (CHIKARA), Australian Suicide (AAA), Alexa Bliss (WWE), Cachorro (CMLL), Dragon Lee II (CMLL), Yuga Hayashi (Dragon Gate), Chris Melendez (TNA), Chikara Momota (several Japanese groups), Black Panther (CMLL), Skadi (CMLL), Naoya Nomura (All Japan) and Moose (ROH).

21. BEST NON-WRESTLER PERFORMER - For the best performer on a television show who isn't a traditional wrestler, whether they be a management figure, a woman who doesn't wrestle, or a traditional manager. Last year's top three were Paul Heyman, Zeb Colter and Gedo.

22. BEST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER - Last year's top three were William Regal, Joe Rogan and John Layfield.

23. WORST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER - Last year's top three were Taz, Jerry Lawler and Michael Cole.

24. BEST MAJOR SHOW - This should be a major show, as opposed to a TV taping or house show, although TV specials like Saturday Night's Main Event or Ultimate Fight Night are eligible. Last year's top three were New Japan G-1 Climax August 4, 2013 in Osaka, New Japan Wrestle Kingdom 8 on January 4, 2013 at the Tokyo Dome and WWE Summer Slam on August 18, 2013 in Los Angeles.

"CATEGORY B" AWARDS. PICK ONE IN EACH CATEGORY. WINNER CHOSEN ON THE BASIS OF FIRST PLACE VOTES.

1. WORST MAJOR SHOW OF THE YEAR - Last year's top three were WWE Battleground on October 6, 2013 in Buffalo, WWE Survivor Series on November 24, 2013 in Boston and WWE Night of Champions on September 15, 2013 in Detroit.

2. BEST WRESTLING MANEUVER - Last year's top three were the Kazuchika Okada’s Rainmaker, Antonio Cesaro Giant swing and Daniel Bryan’s Busaiku knee.

3. MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC - Last year’s top three were WWE’s exploitation of the death of Bill Moody (Paul Bearer), TNA’s treatment of Jessy Sorensen and CMLL not delivering the Atlantis vs. Ultimo Guerrero mask vs. mask match.

4. WORST TELEVISION SHOW - Last year's top three were TNA Impact, WWE Raw and WWE Smackdown.

5. WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR - Last year's top three were Natalya & Naomi & Cameron & Bella Twins & JoJo & Eva Marie vs. Alicia Fox & Aksana & A.J. Lee & Tamina Snuka & Rosa Mendes & Kaitlyn & Summer Rae from November 24, 2013 in Boston, Randy Orton vs. Big Show from November 24, 2013 in Boston, and Kane vs. Bray Wyatt from August 18, 2013 in Los Angeles.

6. WORST FEUD OF THE YEAR - Last year's top three were Big Show vs. The Authority, TNA vs. Aces & 8s and Total Divas vs. WWE Divas.

7. WORST PROMOTION - Last year's top three were TNA (for the seventh straight year), All Japan Pro Wrestling and CHIKARA Pro.

8. BEST BOOKER - Last year's top three were Gedo & Jado, Joe Silva and Hunter Johnston.

9. PROMOTER OF THE YEAR - Last year's top three were Dana White (for the ninth straight year), Takaaki Kidani and Vince McMahon.

10. BEST GIMMICK - Last year's top three were The Wyatt Family, The Bullet Club and The Shield.

11. WORST GIMMICK - Last year's top three were Aces and 8s, Heel owner Dixie Carter and Los Matadores.

12. BEST WRESTLING BOOK - Last year's top three were Mad Dogs Midgets and Screw Jobs:The History of Montreal Wrestling by Patric Laprade and Bertrand Hebert, The Hardcore Truth by Bob Holly and Ross Williams and The Squared Circle by David Shoemaker.

13. BEST PRO WRESTLING DVD - Last year's top three were Jim Crockett Promotions:The Good Old Days, Legends of Mid South Wrestling and Barbed Wire City.

This is a good place to discuss your ballot, who you think should win, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Get bent for not putting Big Daddy Yum Yum for Most Improved in the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYBTPO37P4Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVGZhFVm0LY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQnBg40Nvwc

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Because it's a more difficult award due to visibility, someone has compiled a list of eligible Rookies for Rookie of the Year:

Alexa Bliss - WWE debut 3/29/14

Cachorro - CMLL debut 1/1/14

Dragon Lee - CMLL debut 1/1/14 (note - this is not "new" Mistico)

Yuga Hayashi - Dragon Gate debut 4/4/14. Has not made tape yet to my knowledge. *UPDATE* - Hayashi has now made plenty of tape, and has looked good enough to possibly be the top puro rookie in a weak year for puro rookies.

Black Panther - CMLL debut 2013-12-29

Skadi - CMLL debut 2014-03-30, no indy matches before 2014

Koguma - STARDOM debut 11/4/13

Ayumi Takada - Tokyo Women's Wrestling debut 12/2013

Nonoko - Tokyo Women's Wrestling debut 12/2013

Yuka Sakazaki - Tokyo Women's Wrestling debut 12/2013

Ura Erika - Tokyo Women's Wrestling debut 12/2013

Naoya Nomura - All Japan debut 3/30/2014

Moose - wrestling debut 10/13, began taking regular wwnlive & ROH bookings in early 2014

JoJo (Offerman) - WWE debut 10/7/13

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 1, 2014

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Random thoughts before I try to make a list:

- It's really hard to know how much weight Cena's drawing power carries when thinking about WOTY and Best Draw. We're constantly told that he's the only guy that makes a difference to WWE attendance, but how big is that difference? I'm leaning towards Nakamura for WOTY and Atlantis for Best Draw but really not sure where Cena would figure in my top 3 for either.

- Hechicero has been wrestling for over 10 years but only this year made it into CMLL and so technically qualifies for rookie of the year. Not sure whether to go with the spirit or the letter of the law on that one.

- There really haven't been that many great feuds this year if I'm thinking in terms of series of matches where all of them were good, or big draws. I can manage a top 3 (Rush/Casas, Shield/Wyatts, Ishii/Naito) but after that I'd struggle.

- Likewise for tag teams, I mean WWE has good tag matches all the time but it's nothing tremendously exciting.

- Does pure technical wrestling (which to me means matwork) or brawling (which to me means punching) really exist any more in any major promotion? Daniel Bryan's style of working in WWE isn't anything I'd consider 'technical', and Shibata hits people really hard but it's not a wild style which is what I want to see from a good brawler.

Envisioned
Dec 31, 2007

Hasta la Sunset Vista, baby
Am I reading something wrong with the description, or should Charlotte also qualify for rookie of the year? From what I can see her debut was June 2013.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Envisioned posted:

Am I reading something wrong with the description, or should Charlotte also qualify for rookie of the year? From what I can see her debut was June 2013.

She was with WWE as of May of 2012, so that makes her ineligible.

Don't pay too much attention to the debut dates in the Rookie list, the criteria is "a rookie is someone who hasn't had a regular job with a full-time wrestling company before September 1, 2012."

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 1, 2014

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Spermgod posted:

- Likewise for tag teams, I mean WWE has good tag matches all the time but it's nothing tremendously exciting.

Weak WWE-wise, but I find it hard to prune down my tag team ballot. T-Hawk and Eita have been incredible year around, Tozawa+Shingo was dominant the first half of this year, and then you get the NJPW Junior teams like Young Bucks and reDRagon. Dangan Yankees have been great but I don't watch enough NOAH/Zero-One to really judge them. One could probably argue Time Splitters, Juicy Product, Team Tremendous and a couple of others. I think it's been an incredible tag team year.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
LOU THESZ/RIC FLAIR AWARD
1. Shinsuke Nakamura
2. John Cena?
3. Rush?

MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER:
1. Barbáro Cavernario
2. Negro Casas
3. Tomohiro Ishii

BEST BOX OFFICE DRAW
1. Atlantis
2. Shinsuke Nakamura
3. John Cena

FEUD OF THE YEAR
1. Rush vs. Negro Casas
2. The Shield vs. The Wyatt Family
3. Tomohiro Ishii vs. Tetsuya Naito

TAG TEAM OF THE YEAR
1. uhh The Usos? gently caress i dunno
2. ???
3. ???

MOST IMPROVED
1. Rusev
2. Luke Harper
3. ???

BEST ON INTERVIEWS
1. Paul Heyman
2. Stephanie McMahon
3. Dean Ambrose

MOST CHARISMATIC
1. Rush
2. Shinsuke Nakamura
3. Dean Ambrose

BEST TECHNICAL WRESTLER
1. Timothy Thatcher
2. Virus
3. Hechicero

BRUISER BRODY MEMORIAL AWARD
1. ???
2. ???
3. ???

BEST FLYING WRESTLER
1. Dragon Lee II
2. Aero Star
3. Star Jr.

MOST OVERRATED
1. Bad Luck Fale
2. ???
3. ???

MOST UNDERRATED
1. Tomoaki Honma
2. KUSHIDA
3. Máscara Dorada?

PROMOTION OF THE YEAR
1. NJPW
2. CMLL
3. I don't watch anything but NJPW CMLL and WWE but I'm sure as gently caress not putting WWE on here

BEST WEEKLY TV SHOW
1. Lucha Underground
2. NXT probably even though I don't watch it
3. CMLL on CadenaTres

PRO WRESTLING MATCH OF THE YEAR
1. AJ Styles vs. Minoru Suzuki, NJPW 08/01
2. Rush vs. Negro Casas, CMLL 08/01
3. Tomoaki Honma vs. Katsuyori Shibata, NJPW 08/11

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
1. Hechicero
2. Dragon Lee II
3. Cachorro/The Panther

BEST NON-WRESTLER PERFORMER
1. Stephanie McMahon
2. Paul Heyman
3. Bruce Tharpe

BEST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER
1. William Regal (I have no clue if he announced more than one show but that's enough)
2. Shinpei Nogami
3. ???

WORST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER
1. Matt Striker
2. JBL
3. Jerry Lawler

BEST MAJOR SHOW
1. NJPW G1 Climax Day 7
2. CMLL 81 Aniversario
3. Probably another G1?

Match of the Year is so hard, there's like 10 matches I could see in my top 3.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 1, 2014

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Weak WWE-wise, but I find it hard to prune down my tag team ballot. T-Hawk and Eita have been incredible year around, Tozawa+Shingo was dominant the first half of this year, and then you get the NJPW Junior teams like Young Bucks and reDRagon. Dangan Yankees have been great but I don't watch enough NOAH/Zero-One to really judge them. One could probably argue Time Splitters, Juicy Product, Team Tremendous and a couple of others. I think it's been an incredible tag team year.

yeah i don't really follow anything full time other than WWE, NJPW and CMLL. i'll check out NOAH/AJPW/W-1/US indie/Monterrey indie stuff if it has guys i already like or is recommended by someone with similar taste to my own. and i'm not much of a fan of the NJPW juniors tags so i have a limited pool to choose from. i may go with Time Splitters just because i really like KUSHIDA.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 1, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The only ones I'm really sure about (other than BDYY for most improved of course) are Shinsuke for Most Charismatic, NJPW for best Promotion, Heyman for best promo and non wrestler and Gedo and Jado for best bookers.

Tag Team is really hard choice between Bucks and Millenials but I think I'll give the Bucks the edge simply because they'd be fun douches about it.

How exactly do you show a reciept as an internet subscriber anyway? It's not like they email you anything. Do I just screencap my account page showing that I'm currently paid up?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Thauros posted:

The only ones I'm really sure about (other than BDYY for most improved of course) are Shinsuke for Most Charismatic, NJPW for best Promotion, Heyman for best promo and non wrestler and Gedo and Jado for best bookers.

Tag Team is really hard choice between Bucks and Millenials but I think I'll give the Bucks the edge simply because they'd be fun douches about it.

How exactly do you show a reciept as an internet subscriber anyway? It's not like they email you anything. Do I just screencap my account page showing that I'm currently paid up?

I always send Dave my Paypal receipt and that works.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

indie wrestling and lucha are the only places I ever see technical wrestling these days and nobody from either will place in that award

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Thauros posted:

i don't know but thank god you can fax your ballot

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I always send Dave my Paypal receipt and that works.

I pay via credit card so that doesn't work for me.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

oatgan posted:

indie wrestling and lucha are the only places I ever see technical wrestling these days and nobody from either will place in that award

I feel like Kyle O'Reilly and Bobby Fish will probably place with ROH's resurgence from the ROH/NJPW shows and them now getting booked in NJPW. I absolutely don't think Daniel Bryan should be on anyone's ballots regarding winning specific awards just because his injury has put him out most the year.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
On top of Big Daddy Yum Yum for most Improved I would also suggest people vote for Negro Casas as Best Technical.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The Young Bucks need to win best tag team because I want to see their reaction

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

KungFu Grip posted:

I feel like Kyle O'Reilly and Bobby Fish will probably place with ROH's resurgence from the ROH/NJPW shows and them now getting booked in NJPW. I absolutely don't think Daniel Bryan should be on anyone's ballots regarding winning specific awards just because his injury has put him out most the year.

He was there for half the voting period and an extremely prominent figure during his active time. He'll absolutely get votes.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

MassRafTer posted:

On top of Big Daddy Yum Yum for most Improved I would also suggest people vote for Negro Casas as Best Technical.

i don't see it this year, i feel like he has a real case for Most Outstanding between the Rush apuesta and parejas/trios title matches and carrying spot monkeys like Volador Jr. and Titán to legitimately very good matches though.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I'm still going to lead my campaign for Filthy Tom for best Non Wrestler based on one show, so we are all allowed to have lovely opinions.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

FEUD OF THE YEAR
1. CM Punk v. WWE.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I can't in good conscience vote for Bruce Tharpe over Heyman for best promo or non wrestler, but I think I will give his old school southern territory heel manager transplanted into modern NJPW gimmick the nod in that category. I don't know if I could really call Shinsuke a gimmick since I couldn't even really define it other than "really loving cool guy".

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

So this is from the WWE title unification match at TLC/Wrestle Kingdom 7/Final Battle 2013 to today, yeah?

currently thinking

1. Shinsuke Nakamura
2. Kazuchika Okada
3. Daniel Bryan?

MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER:
1. AJ Styles
2. Tomohiro Ishii
3. Tetsuya Naito?

BEST BOX OFFICE DRAW
1. Hiroshi Tanahashi
2. Shinsuke Nakamura
3. Atlantis/Ultimo Guerrero?

FEUD OF THE YEAR
1. Daniel Bryan vs. The Authority
2. The Shield vs. The Wyatt Family
3. Tomohiro Ishii vs. Yujiro?

TAG TEAM OF THE YEAR
1. THE YOUNG BUCKSSS
2. The Timesplitters
3. reDRagon

MOST IMPROVED
1. Tyson Kidd
2. Rusev
3. Uhaa Nation?

BEST ON INTERVIEWS
1. Paul Heyman
2. Stephanie McMahon
3. Bruce Tharpe

MOST CHARISMATIC
1. Shinsuke Nakamura
2. Matt/Nick Jackson?
3. John Cena?

BEST TECHNICAL WRESTLER
1. Kyle O'Reilly
2. Zack Sabre Jr.
3. Timothy Thatcher

1. Tomoaki Honma
2. Tomohiro Ishii
3. Katsuyori Shibata

BEST FLYING WRESTLER
1. Ricochet
2. Probably someone else from Dragon Gate here but idk
3. Adrian Neville

MOST OVERRATED
1. John Cena
2. Hiroshi Tanahashi
3. Kane

MOST UNDERRATED
1. Tomoaki Honma
2. Antonio Cesaro
3. Kushida

PROMOTION OF THE YEAR
1. NJPW
2. ROH
3. PWG

BEST WEEKLY TV SHOW
1. Ring of Honor
2. NXT?
3. Lucha Underground probably

1. i
2. d
3. k!!!!!

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
1. Don't know any of the CMLL guys or joshi gals but surely one of them
2. Moose
3. Alexa Bliss

BEST NON-WRESTLER PERFORMER
1. Stephanie McMahon
2. Paul Heyman
3. Bruce Tharpe

1. William Regal
2. Jason Albert
3. Michael Cole

1. JBL
2. Jerry Lawler
3. Michael Cole

BEST MAJOR SHOW
1. i
2. d
3. k!!!!!!

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
i guess i wouldn't be opposed to voting for someone who doesn't punch as best brawler so long as they don't do the "take turns pretending being elbowed in the face doesn't hurt" thing

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
i feel like Nakamura has a better drawing record than Tanahashi this year and thus a better case for WOTY. i haven't diligently looked over the data buti think he main evented more shows and most of them did really well, even against total non-draws like Bad Luck Fale.

edit: Cesaro for Most Underrated is a funny one because he had a really hot first half of the year followed by getting buried for the second half. he's absolutely had it worse than Honma for the past 6 months though.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 1, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

i feel like Nakamura has a better drawing record than Tanahashi this year and thus a better case for WOTY. i haven't diligently looked over the data buti think he main evented more shows and most of them did really well, even against total non-draws like Bad Luck Fale.

Yeah, Tana was kind of in the background for the middle part of the year while Shinsuke main evented both Dome shows and established the IC as a main event worthy belt even against upper midcarders.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Spermgod posted:

edit: Cesaro for Most Underrated is a funny one because he had a really hot first half of the year followed by getting buried for the second half. he's absolutely had it worse than Honma for the past 6 months though.

drew well against Fale and ALSO had pretty good matches with him

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Three best matches IMO were AJ/MiSu, Ishii/Naito I and Shinsuke/Okada. Not sure what order to put them in though. I think I am going to give the CMLL Anniversary show the nod for show of the year since it really had an incredibly unique true "once in a lifetime" feel to it and it was obviously a huge success at the gate.

NJPW's weird in that category since all their shows were very good but no individual shows matched the level of KOPW 2012 or WK7.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 1, 2014

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
biggest draw is an interesting one because Atlantis/Último Gro. made the biggest difference to a single gate by FAR but it was just one gate. how do you weight that against guys like Cena and Nakamura who were consistent draws year-round but for promotions which have a much higher baseline even without them?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
CATEGORY A AWARDS

1.) Shinsuke Nakamura
2.) Daniel Bryan
3.) AJ Styles

MMA MOST VALUABLE FIGHTER

1.) Ronda Rousey
2.) Chris Weidman
3.) Tito Ortiz

MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER

1.) Ricochet
2.) Tetsuya Naito
3.) Adam Cole

MOST OUTSTANDING FIGHTER

1.) Ronda Rousey
2.) Chris Weidman
3.) Demetrious Johnson

BEST BOX OFFICE DRAW

1.) Ronda Rousey
2.) Brock Lesnar
3.) John Cena

FEUD OF THE YEAR

1.) Daniel Bryan vs Triple H/Authority (WWE)
2.) YAMATO vs BxB Hulk (DG)
3.) Adam Cole vs Jay Briscoe (ROH)

TAG TEAM OF THE YEAR

1.) T-Hawk & Eita
2.) reDragon
3.) Young Bucks

MOST IMPROVED

1.) Tyson Kidd
2.) Big Daddy Yum-Yum
3.) Lance Archer

BEST ON INTERVIEWS

1.) Conor McGregor
2.) Stephanie McMahon
3.) Paul Heyman

MOST CHARISMATIC

1.) Shinsuke Nakamura
2.) YAMATO
3.) Conor McGregor

BEST TECHNICAL WRESTLER

1.) Kyle O'Reilly
2.) Minoru Suzuki
3.) Zach Sabre Jr.

1.) Tomoaki Honma
2.) Tomohiro Ishii
3.) Masaaki Mochizuki

BEST FLYING WRESTLER

1.) Adrian Neville
2.) Kota Ibushi
3.) Shenron

MOST OVERRATED

1.) Roman Reigns
2.) Hiroshi Tanahashi
3.) Shingo Takagi

MOST UNDERRATED

1.) Akira Tozawa
2.) Tomoaki Honma
3.) T-Hawk

PROMOTION OF THE YEAR

1.) Dragon Gate
2.) New Japan Pro Wrestling
3.) UFC

BEST WEEKLY TELEVISION SHOW

1.) Lucha Underground
2.) Ring of Honor
3.) WWE NXT

1.) Masato Yoshino vs Masaaki Mochizuki, 1/26 DG "Masaaki Mochizuki 20th Anniversary" Korauken Hall
2.) AJ Styles vs Minoru Suzuki, NJPW G1 Climax Day 7
3.) The Shield vs Evolution, WWE Extreme Rules

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

1.) Yuga Hayashi
2.) Alexa Bliss
3.) Moose

BEST NON-WRESTLING PERFORMER

1.) "Filthy" Tom Lawlor
2.) Stephanie McMahon
3.) Bruce Tharpe

1.) William Regal
2.) Excalibur
3.) Rich Brennan

1.) Steve Corino
2.) JBL
3.) Taz

BEST MAJOR SHOW

1.) Dragon Gate DEAD OR ALIVE, 5/5
2.) New Japan G1 Climax Day 7, 8/1
3.) Ring of Honor/New Japan, 5/17

CATEGORY B AWARDS

WORST MAJOR SHOW OF THE YEAR

1.) WWE Hell In A Cell, 10/26

BEST WRESTLING MANEUVER

1.) reDRagon - Chasing the Dragon

MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC

1.) WWE's lack of concern on wrestler safety (CM Punk)

WORST TELEVISION SHOW

1.) WWE Raw

WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR

1.) Bayley vs Eva Marie, NXT 8/7

WORST FEUD OF THE YEAR

1.) Minoru Suzuki v Toru Yano

WORST PROMOTION

1.) TNA

BEST BOOKER

1.) DG Booking Committee

PROMOTER OF THE YEAR

1.) Scott Coker

BEST GIMMICK

1.) Tyson Kidd (Oblivious Heel Fixated on his Cats/Being a Hart)

WORST GIMMICK

1.) Adam Rose

BEST WRESTLING BOOK

1.) The Death of WCW: 10th Anniversary Edition

BEST PRO WRESTLING DVD

1.) Ladies and Gentlemen, My Name is Paul Heyman

UPDATED 12/3 with proper show names & changed worst feud

NotQuiteQuentin fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 3, 2014

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
jesus i completely forgot about AJ for Most Outstanding. a super strong contender and i havent even seen any of his ROH stuff.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Why do people even vote on Best Box Office Draw it's not even an opinion it's something that should be quantifiable fact? I ask this question every year.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

oatgan posted:

Why do people even vote on Best Box Office Draw it's not even an opinion it's something that should be quantifiable fact? I ask this question every year.

there's subjectivity in how you interpret the data i guess

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

oatgan posted:

Because it's a category Dave wants us to vote on. Some people are inevitably going to have different choices so long as it's an option.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

1. LOU THESZ/RIC FLAIR AWARD:

Nakamura
Okada
Tanahashi

2. MMA MOST VALUABLE FIGHTER: who gives a gently caress

3. MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER:

Cesaro
Tomohiro Ishii
Adam Cole

4. MOST OUTSTANDING FIGHTER: who gives a gently caress

5. BEST BOX OFFICE DRAW: pthbbbbbbt

6. FEUD OF THE YEAR:

Bryan/Authority
AJ/Okada
Kyle O’Reilly/Roddy Strong

7. TAG TEAM OF THE YEAR:

Young Bucks
Timesplitters
ReDRagon

8. MOST IMPROVED:

Jack Swagger
Big Daddy Yum Yum
Yujiro Takahashi

9. BEST ON INTERVIEWS:

Dean Ambrose
Seth Rollins
Adam Cole

10. MOST CHARISMATIC:

Okada
Nakamura
Kevin Steen

11. BEST TECHNICAL WRESTLER:

Kyle O’Reilly
Cesaro
Bobby Fish

12. BRUISER BRODY MEMORIAL AWARD:

Shibata
Ishii
Lesnar

13. BEST FLYING WRESTLER:

Kota Ibushi
Ricochet
KUSHIDA

14. MOST OVERRATED:

Ryback
Kane
Randy Orton

15. MOST UNDERRATED:

Cesaro
Ishii
Sami Zayn

16. PROMOTION OF THE YEAR:

NJPW
PWG
ROH

17. BEST WEEKLY TV SHOW

ROH TV
Lucha Underground
NXT I guess

18. PRO WRESTLING MATCH OF THE YEAR:

Cesaro/Zayn, NXT ArRIVAL
Shibata/Tanahashi, G1 Climax
Young Bucks/ReDRagon, NJPW/ROH War Of The Worlds

19. MMA MATCH OF THE YEAR: n/a

20. ROOKIE OF THE YEAR: n/a but if Trevor Lee counts, then Trevor Lee.

21. BEST NON-WRESTLER PERFORMER:

BRUCE THARPE-DESU
Zeb Colter
Paul Heyman

22. BEST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER

William Regal
Shinpei Nogami
ugh

23. WORST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER:

Matt Striker
Jerry Lawler
JBL

24. BEST MAJOR SHOW:

Wrestlemania XXX
NJPW G1 Climax Finals
PWG Battle Of Los Angeles 2014 (Night 2 if it has to be 1)

1. WORST MAJOR SHOW OF THE YEAR: WWE Battleground

2. BEST WRESTLING MANEUVER: Cesaro Swing

3. MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC: WWE almost killing CM Punk by refusing to treat his staph infection

4. WORST TELEVISION SHOW:Impact

5. WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR: John Cena vs Bray Wyatt, WWE Extreme Rules

6. WORST FEUD OF THE YEAR: Cesaro vs Jack Swagger vs RVD

7. WORST PROMOTION: TNA

8. BEST BOOKER: Gedo and Jado

9. PROMOTER OF THE YEAR: Jeff Jarrett

10. BEST GIMMICK: Rusev

11. WORST GIMMICK: Bo Dallas

12. BEST WRESTLING BOOK: Tanahashi’s I guess

13. BEST PRO WRESTLING DVD: lol

I Before E fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 1, 2014

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

oatgan posted:

Well if it was just based off raw numbers whoever main evented Wrestlemania would win every year, WWE dwarfs all other promotions in terms of sheer revenue. It's going to be somewhat subjective if you notice a specific performer who shows a quantifiable increase in draws for his promotion over everyone else even if said promotion, like a NJPW or CMLL, just doesn't draw the money WWE does.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
"CATEGORY B" AWARDS

1. WORST MAJOR SHOW OF THE YEAR: ??? i really can't remember anything i thought was that horrible

2. BEST WRESTLING MANEUVER: Rush corner dropkick

3. MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC : idk because not treating a staph infection isn't really a promotional tactic

4. WORST TELEVISION SHOW: WWE Raw

5. WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR: Metatron/Robin vs. Apocalipsis/Camorra, CMLL (i can't wait for cubs to upload the vid of this)

6. WORST FEUD OF THE YEAR : Kazushi Sakuraba vs. The Gracies, NJPW

7. WORST PROMOTION: ??? i don't want to just vote TNA who by all accounts have improved a lot lately

8. BEST BOOKER: Gedo & Jado

9. PROMOTER OF THE YEAR : Takaaki Kidani

10. BEST GIMMICK: Barbáro Cavernario

11. WORST GIMMICK : Seth Rollins, Triple H Mk. 2

12. BEST WRESTLING BOOK: ???

13. BEST PRO WRESTLING DVD : ???

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 1, 2014

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Spermgod posted:

3. MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC : idk because not treating a staph infection isn't really a promotional tactic

it is if you deliberately ignore the problem as much as possible to keep a guy on the road and making shows

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

it is if you deliberately ignore the problem as much as possible to keep a guy on the road and making shows

I doubt the doctor ignored what he thought was a staph infection for this reason. The concussions, sure. The staph infection when Punk kept mentioning the doctor cuts stuff like this out normally and it gets worse with time? No way. He misdiagnosed that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i hope that raw wins worst weekly tv show but it will probably be impact

• Locked thread