Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The BL Romeo & Juliet is a godawful jumbled mess and the whole time I was watching it I was just kinda stunned at how bad it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Nanomashoes posted:

The BL Romeo & Juliet is a godawful jumbled mess and the whole time I was watching it I was just kinda stunned at how bad it was.

The only redeeming quality of the film was that they called Tybalt's gun “Broadsword”

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

It's cool and funny

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

End Of Worlds posted:

condolences on your terrible opnion

It's a very well done piece of propaganda about what absolute rotters the French are and how great the King is, and excellent scaffolding to build a national myth from, but as a piece of dramatic entertainment it's about as compelling as a wet dishcloth.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nanomashoes posted:

You're wrong.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet is very silly. I guess some of the over-the-topness was meant to Comment on Our Violent Society or something like that, but it just made me laugh. "All! Are! Punish-ed!"

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

cheerfullydrab posted:

You're wrong.

*does a line of cocaine* I think you're WRONG *turns radio on to a song by Rage Against the Machine* so I'm going to SHOUT AT YOU A BUNCH *pulls out giant rocket launcher labeled "épée*

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nanomashoes posted:

*does a line of cocaine* I think you're WRONG *turns radio on to a song by Rage Against the Machine* so I'm going to SHOUT AT YOU A BUNCH *pulls out giant rocket launcher labeled "épée*

I'm still saying it's a good movie, but this made me laugh.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Have you ever been reading The Tempest and thought "Hey this play is pretty good but would be better if literally every character was played by a naked lady"? Well apparently some New Yorkers thought the same thing. NSFW.

I know this kind of thing has been done before, and I'm curious as to what people think about it.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

cheerfullydrab posted:

I'm still saying it's a good movie, but this made me laugh.

it's actually very bad

like unbelievably bad

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
All these mentions of Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet and no mentions at all of Akira Kurosawa's Throne of Blood or Ran. For shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwP_kXyd-Rw

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
sorry I don't watch anime

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I think Rosalind gets one of my favourite insults.

But, mistress, know yourself: down on your knees,
And thank heaven, fasting, for a good man's love:
For I must tell you friendly in your ear,
Sell when you can: you are not for all markets

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

edit: gently caress, just realized this is not the poetry thread.

Bandiet fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 10, 2016

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I took a Shakespeare course last year and my readings of the plays was greatly enhanced by either a stage recording (the 1930s othello) or audio drama. It's fun to follow along, especially if you get an unabridged version.

I find the way Richard in Richard III loses his power over the meta of the play really interesting. The beginning of the play had a lot of asides and almost every scene ends on a monologue from Richard, but after he assumes the throne this drops off, and he loses all mystic and power until you get his awful awful speech to his troops, highly contrasted by the end of the play. This is a pretty basic reading though.

As for Hamlet, it was probably the fourth time going through it in my academic career but it all clicked. Anyway, I've been slowly going through the four hour film by Braghman and was really struck by this exchange:

quote:

HAMLET
For if the sun breed maggots in a dead dog, being a good kissing carrion— Have you a daughter?

POLONIUS
I have, my lord.

HAMLET
Let her not walk i' th' sun. Conception is a blessing, but, as your daughter may conceive—Friend, look to ’t.

fantastic. Implication that women give birth to dead things (as everything will die) a follow up on the sun/son pun from the beginning (I am too much in the sun) and a grotesque idea that while the woman gives birth to dead things, what does that imply about the man?

Now, it's fun to compare this layered and fascinating exchange to the "NEVER FEAR SHAKESPEARE "translation":

quote:

HAMLET
Since if the sun breeds maggots on a dead dog, kissing the corpse—by the way, do you have a daughter?

POLONIUS
I do indeed, my lord.

HAMLET
Then by all means never let her walk in public. Procreation is a good thing, but if your daughter gets pregnant … look out, friend.

Butchered. Absolutely, slaughtered. Abysmal. Awful.

The thing that interests me the most is how grotesque the tragedy plays' worlds are. Denmark is basically bathed in blood and decaying, and you only get these small slivers of information about them through characters description or subtext. Obviously tragedies won't have fun worlds, but it really helps set the mood for them.

Something something about the ghost telling hamlet about the ghost saying

quote:

Wouldst thou not stir in this. Now, Hamlet, hear.
'tis given out that, sleeping in my orchard,
A serpent stung me. So the whole ear of Denmark
Is by a forgèd process of my death
Rankly abused.
But know, thou noble youth,

It feels more like Hamlet's ear is being abused here, being fed what it wants to hear.. Rankly abused indeed

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 10, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

My favorite Shakespeare quote is still this one from Macbeth:

"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
That's tight

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

My favorite Shakespeare quote is still this one from Macbeth:

"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

You're really going for the deep cuts here

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I'm a fan of that speech that starts "To be, or not to be..." I think it might be in Macbeth but I can't remember anyways that one's pretty cool, does anyone else like it?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I'm a fan of that speech that starts "To be, or not to be..." I think it might be in Macbeth but I can't remember anyways that one's pretty cool, does anyone else like it?
Uh I'm pretty sure that speech is actually from Troilus and Cressida you fuckin' dumbass.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Please do not mock people for liking quotes from Shakespeare, no matter how baby's first Shakespeare quotes they might be

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

CestMoi posted:

Please do not mock people for liking quotes from Shakespeare, no matter how baby's first Shakespeare quotes they might be
Yeah, stop making fun of me for not knowing that was from Troilus and Criseyde! I thought this was the Shakespeare thread, not the Chaucer thread!

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
What's the matter, you dissentious rogues,
That, rubbing the poor itch of your opinion,
Make yourselves scabs?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
More of your conversation would infect my brain.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I like this place, and willingly could waste my time in it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Shakespeare is a not of an age but for all time

Hermia in Midsummer Night's Dream posted:

Puppet? why so? ay, that way goes the game.
Now I perceive that she hath made compare
Between our statures; she hath urged her height;
And with her personage, her tall personage,
Her height, forsooth, she hath prevail'd with him.
And are you grown so high in his esteem;
Because I am so dwarfish and so low?
How low am I, thou painted maypole? speak;
How low am I? I am not yet so low
But that my nails can reach unto thine eyes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

A human heart posted:

You're really going for the deep cuts here

So?

s7indicate3
Aug 22, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Raxivace posted:

Have you ever been reading The Tempest and thought "Hey this play is pretty good but would be better if literally every character was played by a naked lady"? Well apparently some New Yorkers thought the same thing. NSFW.

I know this kind of thing has been done before, and I'm curious as to what people think about it.

I'd dig it more if all the characters who were born on the island (Prospero, Miranda, Ariel, and Caliban) were naked but the king and his men weren't. I feel like that'd emphasize colonial subtext a bit more, and explain away how, in most productions, Miranda has women's clothes that fit her even though this should be impossible. Ntm, the two world dichotomy between divinity/myth and humanity would be more pronounced.

But all the characters?? That's just trying to be edgy for the sake of it imho.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

"Just for the sake of it" (I dunno that "edgy" is quite the right word but I agree with the point you're getting at) is kind of the impression I got too. I think your idea would work a lot better since it would actually connect to the themes of the play. Purists might have a problem with it but they're no fun.

I remember there was an all naked female version of MacBeth too from something like 15 years back. I have even less idea how that was supposed to work, and from the clips I've seen the acting was pretty bad.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

s7indicate3 posted:

I'd dig it more if all the characters who were born on the island (Prospero, Miranda, Ariel, and Caliban) were naked but the king and his men weren't. I feel like that'd emphasize colonial subtext a bit more, and explain away how, in most productions, Miranda has women's clothes that fit her even though this should be impossible. Ntm, the two world dichotomy between divinity/myth and humanity would be more pronounced.

But all the characters?? That's just trying to be edgy for the sake of it imho.
Prospero and Miranda weren't born on the island, and it's not clear if Ariel was born there either.

s7indicate3
Aug 22, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Prospero and Miranda weren't born on the island, and it's not clear if Ariel was born there either.

Miranda arrived there as a baby. How would she have women's clothes unless Prospero knit her some? If so, its not mentioned anywhere in the play. I'm just saying there's some additional realism to it. My main point is that having the native residents nude and the king's men in royal duds might add something to the production. Going all the way just feels like a lack of restraint. The article points to acting troupes doing it for nudist colonists of america or something, which maybe says something about the true motivation for their interpretation of the play.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
prospero is a sorcerer capable of calling upon the primal forces of the elements and scattering an entire fleet in a storm of his own conjuring

he can magic up a blouse dude

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

End Of Worlds posted:

prospero is a sorcerer capable of calling upon the primal forces of the elements and scattering an entire fleet in a storm of his own conjuring

he can magic up a blouse dude
Ariel's the one who scatters the fleet in the storm. Prospero just says "hey Ariel, do a thing."

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Hey Ariel, make a shirt.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Ariel's the one who scatters the fleet in the storm. Prospero just says "hey Ariel, do a thing."

yeah but this stems from the renaissance conception of what a sorcerer is. the harry potter-dresden style of wizard, whose power is inborn, is fairly modern. for contemporary audience, one's power as a sorcerer stemmed from one's ability to call up and control elemental spirits (or demons). ariel being able to wreck the fleet is a reflection of prospero's power, even if it doesn't seem that way to us now bc of what we expect magic users to be like

Mr. Squishy posted:

Hey Ariel, make a shirt.

there's also this yeah

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I just watched the Henry V episode of The Hollow Crown yesterday. It's pretty good, though I think I'm convinced now that if any of Shakespeare's plays is an actually flawed masterpiece it's this one. As amazing as I find it overall, the Catherine stuff just doesn't work that strongly- the scene all in French isn't great even translated (And it's not even translated in The Hollow Crown. IIRC Branagh's adaptation has it too though it may be shortened there), and Henry's wooing of Catherine is kind of a weak conclusion to the play as it is, and a really weak conclusion if considered in the context of the entire Henriad starting back with Richard II.

The Hollow Crown tries to fix this by cutting to Henry's funeral immediately after the aforementioned wooing (And some rather clumsy on-screen text mentions that he sort of randomly died of dysentery), but while I appreciate the effort I'm not sure this works so great either.

Thoughts? Is there a really good way to play the Catherine stuff without changing too much of the pre-existing story? Or perhaps am I just missing something?

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
Trying to read Hamlet right now, and god drat Sir William is owning me. I consider myself a relatively avid reader, but I'm finishing whole pages without a clue as to what's going on. I liked Macbeth in high school but I guess the class helped me decipher a lot.

"You laying these slight sallies on my son,
As 'twere a thing a little soiled i' th' working"
????
Things started going south in scene [II.i] wherein Polonius and Reynaldo are going back and forth about....something.

I'm reading a Norton critical edition, but the footnotes aren't doing me much good. Any good noob resources? I've read summaries to help me grasp the plot, but I feel like a lot of the nuances of the language are lost on me.

Poppy Nogood fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 9, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Polonious is kind of a weird character because he always finds complicated ways to say simple things. From what I understand, he's basically asking Reynaldo to spread minor rumors about his son Laertes (The "slight sallies" being these rumors I guess, where the "the thing that would be soiled in the working" is Laertes' reputation if he actually isn't a playboy or whatever Polonious is worried about him having become in France) in order to see how he reacts to them (This being a mirror to what Hamlet himself will do with Claudius later on with the Mousetrap scheme).

Anytime I'm having trouble with a scene or line I just Google specific phrases from that part and read whatever random analysis of them I can find- that's actually what I did just now, since it's been a few years since I last read the play or watched a film version. Hamlet in particular has been broken down to pieces, so I'd be surprised if any line in any version remains untouched by internet commentary. I am also by no means an expert, so take this post with a grain of salt.

Hamlet is tough, don't expect to fully understand it the first time. Or the second. Or the third or fourth time either necessarily.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Polonius is long-winded, but part of the reason that thing you quoted is hard to parse is because it's like... a tenth of a thought. It's not even a sentence. You quoted line 40 of the scene, the train of thought starts on the 5th and ends on the 65th, with Polonius himself forgetting midway what he's saying. The precis of the whole exchange is Pol saying "say bad things about my son, not too bad, god no, just bad enough to see if they're true". An approximation of what you quoted is "You, in mildly insulting my son, like they slightly hosed-up making him..."
Try not to get bogged down in wringing the sense out of every line because it's a miserable reading experience and robs you of any sense of what's going on in the wider scene.
e: I can't think of any resource that's not gated but I really recommend seeing a production or film of it to get a basic sense of what's what and who's who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You wouldn't try to understand The Godfather by reading the script without seeing it first. See it first. Probably see it a few times; see what people cut and what they leave in. Here, have some help with that.

RSC, 2009, with David Tennant and Patrick Stewart
Peter Brook, 2002, with Adrian Lester
Kenneth Branagh, 1996, with no cuts, Kate Winslet, and numb arses all round
BBC Television Shakespeare, 1980, with John Hurt and Patrick Stewart, again
New York theatre production, 1964, with Richard Burton
Laurence Olivier, 1948, with Larry's ego

• Locked thread