Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Last time I saw the tempest Miranda's clothes were made of a bunch of sewn together baby clothes which I thought was a really cool touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
last time i saw the tempest it had what's his face from law and order playing prospero

e: sam waterston

HeartPlug
Aug 22, 2016

Sand will cover this place
Sand will cover you
I once dated a girl who was way smarter than me. She said that Proust was better than Shakespeare. I've never read Proust but I always wondered if that was a fair comparison.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Proust is more satisfying to read, but Shakespeare did not write to be read

Behemuff
Sep 23, 2010

but the eyes - never!
I always think I ought to try some Proust but never get round to it :/ Do you know a good place to start?

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

Behemuff posted:

I always think I ought to try some Proust but never get round to it :/ Do you know a good place to start?

I'll give you a hint: don't start at Volumes 2 through 7

:getin:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Behemuff posted:

I think he wrote a long book that is well regarded, you might try reading that.

Behemuff
Sep 23, 2010

but the eyes - never!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I think he wrote a long book that is well regarded, you might try reading that.

Well I was hoping for a pointer towards something a little less monolithic, or some primer. But thanks for being a patronising oval office :)

Behemuff
Sep 23, 2010

but the eyes - never!
I'd like to get into some Pynchon....

Well if you don't just read Gravity's Rainbow in a single sitting and then publish a critical thinkpiece in the Paris Review then you might as well just kill yourself tbqh.

Oh, or I could maybe read the shorter but still representative Crying of Lot 49 first etc. etc. etc.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

ISOLT is the only Proust anyone reads though. And the only Proust worth reading.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Behemuff posted:

Well I was hoping for a pointer towards something a little less monolithic, or some primer. But thanks for being a patronising oval office :)

That's the only book he's got, unless you count Jean Santeuil but that was never finished and parts of it were incorporated into In Search Of Lost Time anyway.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Behemuff posted:

Sorry I recommended the book you should read!

Behemuff posted:

I'd like to get into some Pynchon....

Well if you don't just read Gravity's Rainbow in a single sitting and then publish a critical thinkpiece in the Paris Review then you might as well just kill yourself tbqh.

Oh, or I could maybe read the shorter but still representative Crying of Lot 49 first etc. etc. etc.
I read Gravity's Rainbow first and I liked it just fine. Pynchon became one of my favorite authors. CoL49 is one of the few things he's written that I'm not a huge fan of (along with Inherent Vice and Bleeding Edge) and if I had started there I might not've gotten into him. Besides, that's a lovely analogy, because Proust doesn't have a Crying of Lot 49 equivalent.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Behemuff posted:

it's the right answer to your question dude

calm down

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I am taking a Shakespeare course this year and one of our assignments is to write a review if an adaptation of one of his plays. I am so going to write on Ian McKellen's nazi Richard iii. Because Richard iii Is loving awesome, and I want to play him someday.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That's the one where he says "My kingdom for a horse" before falling off a girder into an explosion, right?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Having a time traveling McNulty fight Nazi Richard was an interesting choice.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mr. Squishy posted:

That's the one where he says "My kingdom for a horse" before falling off a girder into an explosion, right?

Oh yes. And he rams a tank through a house.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

There's definitely a lot to say about it, just not a lot that's complimentary.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

There's definitely a lot to say about it, just not a lot that's complimentary.
What are you talking about? It's a good movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
McKellen is amazing in the lead role.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I hate how they filleted all the quotes people know and dropped them disconnected from anything into action scenes so silly even Schwarzenegger would blush. Also I've never really dug McKellen.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

I hate how they filleted all the quotes people know and dropped them disconnected from anything into action scenes so silly even Schwarzenegger would blush. Also I've never really dug McKellen.

I remember that they changed the context of Richard's "If not to heaven, then hand in hand to hell" line from a hilariously uninspiring pre-battle speech to his troops to a taunt to Henry during a one-on-one fight. Sort of changing it to be more like the "Lay on, Macduff!" bit from Macbeth.

I can actually see the logic behind the change there, since the previously sociopathic Richard suddenly showing signs of a guilty conscience is one of the weaker aspects of the play. On the other hand, I like the idea of a commander's guilty conscience causing him to deliver a bad speech that ruins his troops' morale and lose the battle as a result.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 10, 2016

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I am taking a Shakespeare course this year and one of our assignments is to write a review if an adaptation of one of his plays. I am so going to write on Ian McKellen's nazi Richard iii. Because Richard iii Is loving awesome, and I want to play him someday.

Write a review of Chimes at Midnight instead

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not on the reading list unfortunately

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Watch Chimes at Mightnight anyways, it's good as hell and there's a new blu-ray coming out this year.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
if you were a proper gent you'd have written about the all-nude version of the tempest being performed in central park this summer

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Another fun adaptation is Prospero's Books which is just John Gielgud reading the tempest as extras go full mental around him.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

source, apparently a poster version is in the works: http://goodticklebrain.com/home/2016/4/18/which-shakespeare-play-should-i-see-an-illustrated-flowchart

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gary Taylor strikes again: https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2016/oct/23/christopher-marlowe-credited-as-one-of-shakespeares-co-writers.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Of course, the boring ones :smug:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
the smug face suggests you're kidding but all three parts of henry vi really are agonisingly boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Phwoar bet Marlowe's jumping for joy at those sweet royalties coming his way.

• Locked thread