Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Realizing how inventive staging could influence Shakespeare is what really blew it open for me. I took a Shakespeare class as an elective as an undergrad and it was completely fascinating. The duel between Hal and Hotspur is a really good one to play around with-- we read the scene and discussed it for a while, and then watched some stage versions of it. In one (I think it went like this) Hal disarmed Hotspur, let him reach for his sword, and then killed him as soon as he was armed again.

Similarly in Macbeth, choices on how to stage the ghost scene are really interesting too. I realize this is all really entry level stuff so sorry but this is what did it for me.

Any other interesting or inventive stagings y'all have seen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Even Chaucer is pretty understandable given a few footnotes (hearing it read is actually more confusing, I think, because of more recent vowel changes):

The Knight posted:

A knyght ther was, and that a worthy man,
That fro the tyme that he first bigan
To riden out, he loved chivalrie

Not to derail on language too much, but it's really telling how English evolved so rapidly after the French influence when from Chaucer to Shakespeare there's about ~220 years and either could be read and at least partially understood by anyone with partial English proficiency today, 400 years after Shakespeare. Compare to Layamon's "Brut," which predates Chaucer only by about 180 years (and is thus about twice as old as Shakespeare):

Layamon posted:

An preost wes on leoden; Laȝamon wes ihoten.
he wes Leouenağes sone; liğe him beo Drihten.
He wonede at Ernleȝe; at æğelen are chirechen.
vppen Seuarne staşe; sel şar him şuhte.
on-fest Radestone; şer he bock radde.

• Locked thread