Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CestMoi posted:

Haha, it's actually something i was thinking myself that I found Bloom echoing in The Western Canon. I'm not sure what it is, I just feel like Hamlet is intriguing in a certain way that I've only felt about real people, never about characters.

The biggest issue with Hamlet is that his critical moment of character development takes place offstage and is just narrated.

We never really fully understand Hamlet or get all the answers about him. He remains a bit if a mystery, even at the end. I think that's part of it. Makes him more realistic.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zesty Mordant posted:

Not to derail on language too much, but it's really telling how English evolved so rapidly after the French influence when from Chaucer to Shakespeare there's about ~220 years and either could be read and at least partially understood by anyone with partial English proficiency today, 400 years after Shakespeare. Compare to Layamon's "Brut," which predates Chaucer only by about 180 years (and is thus about twice as old as Shakespeare):

The Pearl/Gawaine poet is contemporary with Chaucer and is much harder to read though. From what I've read, it's mostly because Chaucer wrote in the London dialect, which became the standard dialect when printers and literacy started spreading, and everyone got more and more literate, print slowed down a lot of the rate of language drift.

• Locked thread