Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Lankiveil posted:

Middle English is difficult for most native speakers of English too. It makes a lot more sense watching it performed; a lot of the disdain for Shakespeare IMHO comes from making kids learn it through reading rather than seeing it performed.

Try Chauser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I've never had too much trouble with it all at uni, but I'm Dutch and both my parents are Frisian (which I don't speak but understand pretty much fluently) so it always kind of felt like cheating. I'm just always amused by people saying Shakespeare's English is too old to make sense of.

Anyway.

Zesty Mordant posted:

Realizing how inventive staging could influence Shakespeare is what really blew it open for me. I took a Shakespeare class as an elective as an undergrad and it was completely fascinating. The duel between Hal and Hotspur is a really good one to play around with-- we read the scene and discussed it for a while, and then watched some stage versions of it. In one (I think it went like this) Hal disarmed Hotspur, let him reach for his sword, and then killed him as soon as he was armed again.

Similarly in Macbeth, choices on how to stage the ghost scene are really interesting too. I realize this is all really entry level stuff so sorry but this is what did it for me.

Any other interesting or inventive stagings y'all have seen?

Two things come to mind: I saw a production of Hamlet by the Globe company (I think) whose Polonius was a bit goofy and hilarious, clumsy at times and generally a well meaning fool, which was a nice change and really, really well done.
The second is from the final season of the HBO series Oz, in which they do a production of MacBeth. They changed to witches to be judges, which was very appropriate given the context of the show.

• Locked thread