Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

JnnyThndrs posted:

I saw an excellent production of Julius Caesar at Ashland about 30 years ago where the characters were all wearing third-world-type military garb and carrying assault rifles.

People used to love setting Hamlet in a Baltic kelptocracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Hey Ariel, make a shirt.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Polonius is long-winded, but part of the reason that thing you quoted is hard to parse is because it's like... a tenth of a thought. It's not even a sentence. You quoted line 40 of the scene, the train of thought starts on the 5th and ends on the 65th, with Polonius himself forgetting midway what he's saying. The precis of the whole exchange is Pol saying "say bad things about my son, not too bad, god no, just bad enough to see if they're true". An approximation of what you quoted is "You, in mildly insulting my son, like they slightly hosed-up making him..."
Try not to get bogged down in wringing the sense out of every line because it's a miserable reading experience and robs you of any sense of what's going on in the wider scene.
e: I can't think of any resource that's not gated but I really recommend seeing a production or film of it to get a basic sense of what's what and who's who.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

That's the one where he says "My kingdom for a horse" before falling off a girder into an explosion, right?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

There's definitely a lot to say about it, just not a lot that's complimentary.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I hate how they filleted all the quotes people know and dropped them disconnected from anything into action scenes so silly even Schwarzenegger would blush. Also I've never really dug McKellen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Another fun adaptation is Prospero's Books which is just John Gielgud reading the tempest as extras go full mental around him.

• Locked thread