Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

cheerfullydrab posted:

From last page, but what I love the most about the Baz Luhrmann Romeo + Juliet is that it's silly but also the most faithful adaptation out there when it comes to lines and line readings.
"Most faithful" is pushing it quite a bit. It's not awful but if you're following along with the play in your hands there are plenty of times you're going to be like "hold up..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Of the available adaptations.
The BBC one is more faithful, at least.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I'm a fan of that speech that starts "To be, or not to be..." I think it might be in Macbeth but I can't remember anyways that one's pretty cool, does anyone else like it?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

CestMoi posted:

Please do not mock people for liking quotes from Shakespeare, no matter how baby's first Shakespeare quotes they might be
Yeah, stop making fun of me for not knowing that was from Troilus and Criseyde! I thought this was the Shakespeare thread, not the Chaucer thread!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

s7indicate3 posted:

I'd dig it more if all the characters who were born on the island (Prospero, Miranda, Ariel, and Caliban) were naked but the king and his men weren't. I feel like that'd emphasize colonial subtext a bit more, and explain away how, in most productions, Miranda has women's clothes that fit her even though this should be impossible. Ntm, the two world dichotomy between divinity/myth and humanity would be more pronounced.

But all the characters?? That's just trying to be edgy for the sake of it imho.
Prospero and Miranda weren't born on the island, and it's not clear if Ariel was born there either.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

End Of Worlds posted:

prospero is a sorcerer capable of calling upon the primal forces of the elements and scattering an entire fleet in a storm of his own conjuring

he can magic up a blouse dude
Ariel's the one who scatters the fleet in the storm. Prospero just says "hey Ariel, do a thing."

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Behemuff posted:

I always think I ought to try some Proust but never get round to it :/ Do you know a good place to start?
I think he wrote a long book that is well regarded, you might try reading that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Behemuff posted:

Well I was hoping for a pointer towards something a little less monolithic, or some primer. But thanks for being a patronising oval office :)
Sorry I recommended the book you should read!

Behemuff posted:

I'd like to get into some Pynchon....

Well if you don't just read Gravity's Rainbow in a single sitting and then publish a critical thinkpiece in the Paris Review then you might as well just kill yourself tbqh.

Oh, or I could maybe read the shorter but still representative Crying of Lot 49 first etc. etc. etc.
I read Gravity's Rainbow first and I liked it just fine. Pynchon became one of my favorite authors. CoL49 is one of the few things he's written that I'm not a huge fan of (along with Inherent Vice and Bleeding Edge) and if I had started there I might not've gotten into him. Besides, that's a lovely analogy, because Proust doesn't have a Crying of Lot 49 equivalent.

• Locked thread