Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Stick Insect posted:

If you actually want to try reading, get one of those "The Oxford Shakespeare" editions. Half the book is analysis, I skipped that. But the other half is the text of the play with 50% footnotes explaining the meaning of various words. I found that pretty helpful.

This. I've found it also helpful to read a lot of English literature. A lot. Go read Middle English, come back to Shakespeare and admire the clarity of his writing.

Reading the plays is good if you want to savour every line and think about poetry and other stuff for literary weirdos, and seeing them is good if you want to have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
If you're talking about Shakespeare: the Invention of the Human, yeah, Bloom gets caught in the hyperbole instead of properly demonstrating his thesis: that Shakespeare is the first true artist of characters. I think that it's with Shakespeare that we start to consistently find interesting characters as opposed to interesting character types. Take Marlowe, Jonson, Kyd, Ovid whoever - they just don't compare to Shakespeare when it comes to characters. I can name only one character from Tamerlane. A couple from Volpone.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
After 400 years, your noble dust is no doubt stopping a bung-hole :toot:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
More of your conversation would infect my brain.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Shakespeare is a not of an age but for all time

Hermia in Midsummer Night's Dream posted:

Puppet? why so? ay, that way goes the game.
Now I perceive that she hath made compare
Between our statures; she hath urged her height;
And with her personage, her tall personage,
Her height, forsooth, she hath prevail'd with him.
And are you grown so high in his esteem;
Because I am so dwarfish and so low?
How low am I, thou painted maypole? speak;
How low am I? I am not yet so low
But that my nails can reach unto thine eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Of course, the boring ones :smug:

• Locked thread