Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I just watched the Richard II adaptation as a part of the BBC's The Hollow Crown series. Really good all around, and I'm pretty excited to check out their version of Henry IV: Part 1 next.

Can anyone explain to me why Richard II seems to have been more or less almost forgotten about? Other than this recent BBC production I'm only aware of one other version even being filmed. I've heard some argue that it simply requires too much background information from audiences, but that hasn't stopped the other history plays from being performed as individual entities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Was it just the same actresses as the witches playing the murderers, or were they literally playing the same characters?

Either way that's an incredibly ballsy and cool choice.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dr Dracula posted:

Shakespeare wrote a bunch of Disney films for adults and now his legacy is kept alive as a way for literary mediocrities to make a living. Shameful.
What?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Have you ever been reading The Tempest and thought "Hey this play is pretty good but would be better if literally every character was played by a naked lady"? Well apparently some New Yorkers thought the same thing. NSFW.

I know this kind of thing has been done before, and I'm curious as to what people think about it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I'm a fan of that speech that starts "To be, or not to be..." I think it might be in Macbeth but I can't remember anyways that one's pretty cool, does anyone else like it?
Uh I'm pretty sure that speech is actually from Troilus and Cressida you fuckin' dumbass.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

"Just for the sake of it" (I dunno that "edgy" is quite the right word but I agree with the point you're getting at) is kind of the impression I got too. I think your idea would work a lot better since it would actually connect to the themes of the play. Purists might have a problem with it but they're no fun.

I remember there was an all naked female version of MacBeth too from something like 15 years back. I have even less idea how that was supposed to work, and from the clips I've seen the acting was pretty bad.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I just watched the Henry V episode of The Hollow Crown yesterday. It's pretty good, though I think I'm convinced now that if any of Shakespeare's plays is an actually flawed masterpiece it's this one. As amazing as I find it overall, the Catherine stuff just doesn't work that strongly- the scene all in French isn't great even translated (And it's not even translated in The Hollow Crown. IIRC Branagh's adaptation has it too though it may be shortened there), and Henry's wooing of Catherine is kind of a weak conclusion to the play as it is, and a really weak conclusion if considered in the context of the entire Henriad starting back with Richard II.

The Hollow Crown tries to fix this by cutting to Henry's funeral immediately after the aforementioned wooing (And some rather clumsy on-screen text mentions that he sort of randomly died of dysentery), but while I appreciate the effort I'm not sure this works so great either.

Thoughts? Is there a really good way to play the Catherine stuff without changing too much of the pre-existing story? Or perhaps am I just missing something?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Polonious is kind of a weird character because he always finds complicated ways to say simple things. From what I understand, he's basically asking Reynaldo to spread minor rumors about his son Laertes (The "slight sallies" being these rumors I guess, where the "the thing that would be soiled in the working" is Laertes' reputation if he actually isn't a playboy or whatever Polonious is worried about him having become in France) in order to see how he reacts to them (This being a mirror to what Hamlet himself will do with Claudius later on with the Mousetrap scheme).

Anytime I'm having trouble with a scene or line I just Google specific phrases from that part and read whatever random analysis of them I can find- that's actually what I did just now, since it's been a few years since I last read the play or watched a film version. Hamlet in particular has been broken down to pieces, so I'd be surprised if any line in any version remains untouched by internet commentary. I am also by no means an expert, so take this post with a grain of salt.

Hamlet is tough, don't expect to fully understand it the first time. Or the second. Or the third or fourth time either necessarily.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Having a time traveling McNulty fight Nazi Richard was an interesting choice.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

There's definitely a lot to say about it, just not a lot that's complimentary.
What are you talking about? It's a good movie.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Watch Chimes at Mightnight anyways, it's good as hell and there's a new blu-ray coming out this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gary Taylor strikes again: https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2016/oct/23/christopher-marlowe-credited-as-one-of-shakespeares-co-writers.

• Locked thread