Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RVT
Nov 5, 2003
To play with goons:

1) Download the game: iOS - https://itunes.apple.com/app/id845129661?mt=8
Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roviostars.pirates

2) due to a not so recent update, build your guild hall for free at Pirate Hall 1. So straight off the bat.

3) Once your Guild Hall is complete, search for 2poor4gems and apply

Room has opened up enough that we can again accept new people directly into 2poor.

4) Since there are no application messages, post your in game name in the thread. Otherwise, we might think you're a pub, and you might be quickly booted if lots of people are trying to join.

Plunder Pirates is a phone/tablet game released on September 17, 2014, for iOS and April 22, 2015, for Android.

If you play one poopbreak phone game, you play Clash. If you play two, you should play this. It has all the quality of life improvements that it took Clash years to implement, as well as being full 3d with the ability to spin your viewpoint. Also, did I mention it's still fairly new and pubbies are basically waiting to hand you massive amounts of loot, making this one of the cheapest and easiest F2P games out right now?

Seriously, if you like games like this, do yourself a favor and try it out. You'll like this one. Get in while the getting is good.

Testimonials

ryan_woody posted:

No joke. I started playing this and clash simultaneously, and progress felt horribly slow in clash. I also never really figured out how to attack well during clan wars, and felt like I was always the weakest link. I quit after a couple weeks. I've been playing PP since android launch, and can't put it down.

jm20 posted:

Game is hella cool and about 1/10000000th the grind of Clash of Clans.

I might drop boom beach for this.

I reached midgame (PH5-6) and its still exciting. If you have troops trained because of the research system you always have things to raid for. In clash you can end up resource capped for over a week if you plan wrong, so this is definitely a plus.

Each troop has special abilities you can trigger in game which adds more depth than say dropping spells or flares/smoke/heals/shock.

wraith_5_ posted:

No really come play this game. Its by far the best CoC-themed game out there.

Murvin posted:

I just got the game and it really is quite pleasant and the best CoC clone I've tried to date. The map exploration is especially cool, I think it's going to be my #2 mobile game now. I am slowly working my way up to affording the guild hall and I'll join you folks when I get there!

uh zip zoom posted:

This game seriously owns bones. Play with us so we don't have to add pubbies.

Yudo posted:

This game is a pretty fun time waster.

mephology posted:

The rumbles are pretty dang fun and have me playing more actively again. If you are thinking about playing do, it is a good game.

How is this different than Clash of Clans

Your elixir is grog; your gold is still, well, gold.

This is a fully 3d game that you can rotate around and see from every angle. You can even click on your Pirate Hall and take a tour of your base from near ground level in a cinematic mode.

You have your standard attack other bases PVP mode, but the single player is much more fleshed out. You send your pirate ship exploring a single player map that you will slowly unlock (seen above). It includes NPC boats and sea monsters your ship will fight on the way to discovering NPC bases that you can attack for loot and Exploration / Battle points.

You gain exploration points for discovering more of your single player map, which are required for upgrading your lighthouse (as well as grog) that lets you in turn upgrade your pirate ship. You gain battle points for defeating NPC bases on your single player map and defeating real players in the PVP mode. These are required for upgrading your Academy(CoC laboratory). You cannot lose these to player attacks (only when you use them to upgrade). You also gain Pirate Rank (trophies).

The clan interaction doesn't involve donating troops, but funding guild-wide building perks. Anyone in the guild with the corresponding perk building can fund the perk, the cost to fund is based on the level of the building you have(and possibly PH level?). More on this below.

All your troops have special abilities, unlocked in the academy or other buildings, that you activate during combat, that have a cool down and can be activated again in the same battle. Basically, the King and Queen in CoC, but for all your troops and they can be activated multiple times.

How to play with goons

2poor4gems is full.

LLJK - all caps, with a red and blue field behind the logo. This is the "overflow" guild, but with the massive response, may be a guild in its own right for awhile. We are transferring over members as spots in 2poor open up, but with 35 members in LLJK, this might take awhile. Good news: with this many people, perks and donations should be almost as good as 2poor anyway.

Happy to add any other clans to the OP, just PM me or post.

Units

There are a bunch of troops types that closely mirror their Clash counterparts, and some that don't.

Protip: Your Academy/Voodoo Hut can upgrade more than one troop at once. You can't do multiple upgrades on the same troop type, but you can do 1 upgrade on as many different troops as you have grog and upgrades available.

Meta Protip: Be careful how you upgrade troops. This is really terrible game design and I'm almost positive not intended and will be changed at some point, but for now there are some troops you want to skip upgrades on. Mainly the WitchDoctor, but also the Bomber, Heavy Gunner, and Juggernaut.

Academy Troops:

Buccaneer - Closes to melee with whatever he first sees and has a berserk ability which makes him do more damage. Basically your CoC barbarian.

Brute - seeks out defense, tanky, and doesn't do a ton of damage. Your CoC Giant. These are likely to be the tank backbone of your army comp for awhile. Upgrade them as a priority. Both damage and toughness.

Special ability makes them stand still and do nothing except get all your gunners killed. I think it's supposed to draw enemy fire, but they should already be doing that by being in the front of the fight.

Bomber - attacks walls. Your CoC wallbreaker. Runs around and attacks targets seemingly at random.

Gunner - attacks whatever he first sees from range. Your CoC Archer. Special ability makes them turn purple and do increased damage for a short time. These are the backbone of your army comp's dps most likely. Upgrade them as a priority.

Thief - goes straight for gold mines/storages and grog distilleries/storages. Your CoC goblin. Special ability makes them go invisible and run faster until they attack.

Juggernaut - tanky and about double the damage of Brutes, but cost a lot more. These guys sprint towards and attempt to defuse mines. At high PR or against really tough bases, you'll probably want to start mixing Juggs in to replace Brutes.

Sky Raider - the game's one and only (semi) flying troop. They come sailing in on, um, sails, and drop into the middle of the enemy's base. With upgrade they can shoot while they are still in the air.

Heavy Gunner - A bigger Gunner I guess? I hear this guy isn't so great, but feel free to let me know how this guy gets down.

Voodoo Hut Troops:

Witchdoctor - shields your troops, and with upgrade can resurrect your fallen troops into skeletons. Early on he is kinda garbage, but later on he gets really good. Especially once you get his Guardian upgrade. Special ability raises fallen friendly troops into skeletons; you must be close enough to the dead skeletons so that they start dancing next to the WD for his ability to raise them.

Meta Protip: for now you want to skip the upgrade branches with the 3 and 5 toughness boosts. Skipping these two upgrades keeps your WitchDoctors with the final upgrade Guardian II (very good) costing 80k grog, and not 120k grog.

Skellywag - basically a much more tanky, much more expensive Buccaneer. Not terrible though.

Priestess - does projectile damage and costs a lot. Her special ability disables all enemy defenses for a short time.

Player vs Player Attacking and Defending

Build up your pirate army in your Tavern and prepare your butt. Hit Plunder, and then hit Fight a Rival Captain. You'll be taken to the standard system of seeing another player's base, and having a chance to attack or hit next.

The matchmaking for this mode is based on your Pirate Rank, which goes up with victories and down with losses. It can also go up with victories over the NPC bases on the single player map.

Don't be afraid to hit next a lot until you find the base you want to attack. With the relatively long build times for your troops, hitting good bases is very important. What you're looking for is a lot of resources, and an easy layout.

The most dangerous buildings are the mortar(s) and the bunkers. If you see underleveled mortars that you can get to and destroy or distract long enough to kill all the gold/grog storages and collectors, that is the base you want to attack. Mortars fire up into the air with an AoE attack at long range. They do have a dead zone very close to them, so if you're using brutes, be aware that when they close with the mortar, your weaker troops may be targeted while your brutes take it down. Bunkers do rapid single target damage in a cone in front of them. Approach them from behind and try to not hit bases that have bunkers covering each other.

When you start attacking PH7s, watch out for the ground pounder. It's a giant blue cannon that fires salvos of 3 shells way out in front of itself. These shells do heavy damage and stun the targets. It cannot fire on targets to its back, sides or close front, so if you can take this out from one of those angles, do so. If the base's walls funnel your troops into it's killzone and protect it's sides and rear, just skip the base.

Single Player Map and the Boat

You begin the game with a small pirate ship attached to your base. This pirate ship dock can be moved like any other building.

This is what you use on the single player map. Build a pirate army, load up your boat by hitting the pirate icon above your boat on the single player map, and plot out a course.

There are sharks, sea monsters, and other ships in the sea. Feel free to waste them as often as possible on your way to exploring new territory. Don't neglect this part of the game, as exploration points are used to upgrade your lighthouse (and therefore pirate ship) and used to fund the pirate catcher perk.

At first it can be a little annoying sending out your pirate ship all the time. But later on your voyages get much longer, making it much less of a hassle. Your exploration point income also increases dramatically.

Here are the fully revealed maps, I will spoiler this in case you want to discover this on your own:

These are some screen shots I took of my own fully revealed map, both both top and bottom:
http://imgur.com/8x09uzG
http://imgur.com/c42T8HQ

Here is a much more useful graphical depiction of the map:
http://imgur.com/83aH9Z6

mephology posted:

You can send things out on explorations, then train up troops to raid with and conduct a couple of raids while that exploration is going. When your exploration is done, make sure your barracks are empty, recover them by clicking the icon and then rebuild the few missing troops and send that mass out again. If your barracks are full, then the troops will vanish, so raid with them first then recover and send out.

Your level of boat determines how long a voyage you can do, so once you get a blue boat (lvl 4) at least, you can send it out in the morning, and then raid all day while it's out. Which is really nice for people that don't want to constantly be messing with their boat. With the blue boat I'd send it out for 5-11 hours at a time, depending on what part of the sea I was sailing through, and the mobs I picked to fight. With the max boat, I just sent it out for 13+ hours.

Guild Perk System and Buildings

The guild perk system is how you help your guildmates in this game. You don't donate troops, you fund guild perks. What resource the perk uses, and what benefit it grants depend on the building. You must build the corresponding building before you have access to the perk, but as soon as it finishes construction, if the perk is active, you immediately get the benefit. The funding and benefit is guild-wide.

The guild funds the perks as a group, and everyone gets their own bonus based on the level of their perk building. E.g. Bobby PH3 funds 50% of the Blacksmith perk for 5k gold per 5%, 10 times up to 50% for 50k. Ralph PH7 funds 50% of the Blacksmith perk for 90k gold per 5%, 10 times up to 50% for 900k. Billy gets the +5 troop damage his level 1 Blacksmith provides, and Ralph gets the +9 damage his level 3 Blacksmith provides. The other 48 members of the guild get whatever bonus their level of Blacksmith provides for free.

The perks have a 24 hour duration, and a 2 hour cooldown. Our Blacksmith perk has been active non-stop, except for the cooldown, since we had the 3rd guy finish his building.

Blacksmith - Uses gold to fund, and increases all pirate damage.

Stone Mason - Uses grog to fund, and increases hit points for walls.

Observatory - Uses battle points to fund, decreases exploration time of your pirate ship on the single player map. Do not fund this until you're done needing Battle Points for your Academy (this will never happen).

Pirate Catcher - Added mid-November 2014. Uses exploration points to fund, and increases the rate at which your tavern recruits pirates.

The Blacksmith and Stonemason can be upgraded to level 3 and 2, respectively, increasing the benefit and cost to fund. The Observatory and Pirate Catcher are level 1 max.

Army Comps

All bucs works decent enough at the beginning of the game, but once you start seeing upgraded defenses you'll want to transition to something a little more complex.

Grutes - Brutes and Gunners. 4-10 Brutes depending on your tavern level (which determines army size), the rest Gunners. You want to deploy your Brutes in 2 groups. Send them in at the edge of a base closest to a mortar. Give them a few seconds to walk up to the walls or into the base, then drop some Gunners behind. If you drop your Gunners too early they'll catch up to the Brutes and get owned. You may also want to drop your Gunners in waves, so that if your Brutes do something dumb and the mortars switch targets to your Gunners you don't get completely wiped out. This comp/strat has worked for me from PR 1-275+ and is currently the guilds main attack strat.

Gugs - Juggernauts and Gunners. Juggs are about as tanky as Brutes in the mid game, but deal double the damage. As a bonus they sprint (and jump over walls if necessary) to get to enemy mines and defuse them. You can only recruit 10 of them at a time. I'd suggest 10 Juggs the rest Gunners, but others have suggested that a Witch-Doctor is key to this army comp. Additionally, an upgrade makes Juggs take reduced damage from AoE damage (mortars). If you're getting north of PR 250, this is what you're going to get hit by, and want to hit others with.

Juggs, Bombers, WitchDoctors - the premier high level strat. Juggs are your tanks, you can either use Bombers or Gunners for damage, and you deploy 1-2 WitchDoctors as shields for the damage-troops, and to raise them as skeletons if they are killed. Much more expensive than Grute, especially if you did not upgrade your WitchDoctors correctly.

Moar Protips

Always upgrade your storages; the loot is easy and some stuff's upgrade cost spikes up suddenly and you want to be able to hold all the resources necessary.

Other than that, and builder time, your main gating factor is going to be Battle Points. You seem to get the same BP for a 3 star with little difference for Pirate Rank. 3 stars for me is 19-21BP from 1PR to 275PR. 2 stars is I think 12. This makes dropping to 1PR and dropping a few bucs or Santa on crap newb bases in a chain being a viable way of grinding BP. You can also get big BP bonus for exploration map fights, I've seen random 400 BP bonuses off 3 star encounters.

You should rush to 200 PR for the gems, to get your third builder if you're F2P, but other than gem-cheeve rewards, don't worry about your Pirate Rank. You'll find decent bases to hit pretty low, as there is no Pirate Hall level loot penalty that the internet knows about, or that we can detect.

Additionally, with how much loot there is in the game, you don't need high Pirate Rank or PR, (trophies) to find good loot. As a late PH6, I'm hanging around 120-250 PR and regularly 3 starring people for 400k of both resource.

March 30 2015 Protips c/p until I rewrite the OP:

Gems - only spend gems on two things:

1) Buy all your builders first. There are only 4, and the loot is plentiful in this game. You will have no trouble keeping them all busy, even in the endgame.

2) After builders, only use gems to gem troops complete, preferably while the Pirate Catcher is active, and only when you are pushing to fill your storages for a big upgrade. E.g. you have 2 million gold, and you need 4 million for your PH 7, but don't want to get plowed while your army builds - gem armies done and raid until you have the 4 mil. Don't buy resources directly with gems, and don't speed up build times with gems.

Battle Points - the easiest way to get battle points is killing Fish (especially Bigger Fish) and to a lesser extent Serpents. With enough Bigger Fish spawning, chaining 4 hour voyages straight to a fish, and repeating is easily the fastest source of BP in the game, and will dwarf what you get from battles.

Base upgrades - mortars are your best defense for most/all of the game, but keep your storages up to date as well, or you may find yourself spending a week upgrading storages to be able to hold enough for your next big (usually PH) upgrade.

Links

Plunder Pirates wiki http://plunderpirates.gamepedia.com/Plunder_Pirates_Wiki

Here is a wiki I guess if you want to learn about a game you should be mashing your face against in the throes of a bowel moment or drunk. It doesn't have a ton of content. 2poor is discovering a lot about the game as we go, and it's really fun not knowing everything about the game before we get there. You'll learn a lot more, and get better advice if you ask in guild chat, or post in the thread.

RVT fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
more stuff

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003
Play this its good.

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003
No really come play this game. Its by far the best CoC-themed game out there.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
We just had a few more people join and we're learning a lot more about the game mechanics and troops as more people make their way to higher Pirate Hall levels. I'll try to update the OP a bit in the next few days.

Now is a great time to get in. Our blacksmith perk has almost 100% uptime, and the game is still new enough that there are plenty of pubbie bases with tons of loot and terrible defensive layouts to steal from.

Murvin
Jan 7, 2008
Jet-setter and raconteur

I just got the game and it really is quite pleasant and the best CoC clone I've tried to date. The map exploration is especially cool, I think it's going to be my #2 mobile game now. I am slowly working my way up to affording the guild hall and I'll join you folks when I get there!

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
After playing a ton of PP, I find myself trying to spin the map in CoC and Boom. I think CoC 2 is going to have to be 3D with this game showing how well it can be done. I also really like the single player map. Some people have complained about it, but once your boat gets a few levels, you can send your boat out on long voyages and it becomes a 1-2 times a day thing, and you rake in exploration points.

Post your IGN and we'll accept you as soon as your guild hall is done.

Murvin
Jan 7, 2008
Jet-setter and raconteur

Requested to join as MusketThumb

mephology
Jan 14, 2012

Requested as well and I think I am bad and put the default message

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Welcome aboard guys.

If you can write a custom application message, it doesn't show up to us when you apply. So, I look at the thread, or accept and then ask people the password to make sure they are goons.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!
Requested as tokentrevor

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

This game seriously owns bones. Play with us so we don't have to add pubbies.

Edit: I guess we added pubbies :downsgun:

uh zip zoom fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 29, 2014

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
One of them has a pirate catcher, might keep him until a few more goons finish theirs if he actually funds it.

I wouldn't be worried about it too much though.

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

RVT posted:

One of them has a pirate catcher, might keep him until a few more goons finish theirs if he actually funds it.

I wouldn't be worried about it too much though.

Pubbies will be kept on a strict quota of farming. Those not meeting expectations will be taken out behind the shed.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Is this ever coming out on Android? Everybody has android phones!

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Early next year they've said. It would be nice to be able to play on my phone.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

wraith_5_ posted:

Pubbies will be kept on a strict quota of farming. Those not meeting expectations will be taken out behind the shed.

Post your IGN in this thread so we can promote you to Crew if you're true Goon. Otherwise, I'll be kicking pubs as they annoy me in chat, fail to fund our perks, or just randomly for fun.

We seemed to have crossed some threshold and are now getting tons of apps. But we'd rather be full of goons, so keep posting and applying.

edit: sorry double

mephology
Jan 14, 2012

Um, a few things that were probably obvious to others, but not me since I am a baddie and thought I might share:
  • You can upgrade multiple troops in your laboratoryAcademy at the same time
  • You can send things out on explorations, then train up troops to raid with and conduct a couple of raids while that exploration is going. When your exploration is done, make sure your barracks are empty, recover them by clicking the icon and then rebuild the few missing troops and send that mass out again. If your barracks are full, then the troops will vanish, so raid with them first then recover and send out.
  • Don't get Santa trapped on a exploration. If you do, just cancel it does not seem to have any penalty.
  • Academies need battle points to upgrade and it seems that you get 20 per 3* win (I got 21 a few times, not sure what the difference is), so don't just end battles once you have the loot like I was.

Edit: the above was wrong, Santa's can only queued once, but can be exploring and attack at the same time.

mephology fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 30, 2014

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Game is hella cool and about 1/10000000th the grind of Clash of Clans.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

mephology posted:

Um, a few things that were probably obvious to others, but not me since I am a baddie and thought I might share:
  • You can upgrade multiple troops in your laboratoryAcademy at the same time
  • You can send things out on explorations, then train up troops to raid with and conduct a couple of raids while that exploration is going. When your exploration is done, make sure your barracks are empty, recover them by clicking the icon and then rebuild the few missing troops and send that mass out again. If your barracks are full, then the troops will vanish, so raid with them first then recover and send out.
  • Academies need battle points to upgrade and it seems that you get 20 per 3* win (I got 21 a few times, not sure what the difference is), so don't just end battles once you have the loot like I was.

These are great tips. I've been playing this since just after release and I didn't realize the Academy multiple training at once thing until Wraith mentioned it this last week.

Your level of boat determines how long a voyage you can do, so once you get a blue boat at least, you can send it out in the morning, and then raid all day while it's out. It gets up to a lot more than just "a couple of raids," which is really nice for people that don't want to constantly be missing with their boat. With the blue boat I'd send it out for 5-11 hours at a time, depending on what part of the sea I was sailing through, and the mobs I picked to fight. With the max boat, I just sent it out for 13+ hours.

Always upgrade your storages, cause the loot is easy and some stuff's upgrade cost spikes up suddenly and you want to be able to hold all the resources necessary.

Other than that, and builder time, your main gating factor is going to be Battle Points. You seem to get the same BP for a 3 star with little difference for Pirate Rank. 3 stars for me is 19-21BP from 1PR to 275PR. 2 stars is I think 12. This makes dropping to 1PR and dropping a few bucs or Santa on crap newb bases in a chain being a viable way of grinding BP. You can also get big BP bonus for exploration map fights, I've seen random 400 BP bonuses off 3 star encounters.

Additionally, with how much loot there is in the game, you don't need high Pirate Rank or PR, (trophies) to find good loot. As a late PH6, I'm hanging around 120-180 PR and regularly 3 starring people for 400k each.

You should rush to 200 PR for the gems, to get your third builder if you're F2P, but other than gem-cheeve rewards, don't worry about your Pirate Rank. You'll find decent bases to hit pretty low, as there is no Pirate Hall level loot penalty that the internet knows about, or that we can detect.

I'll incorporate this information into the OP.

RVT fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 30, 2014

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Game is interesting and fun, I might drop boom beach for this.

I reached midgame (PH5-6) and its still exciting. If you have troops trained because of the research system you always have things to raid for. In clash you can end up resource capped for over a week if you plan wrong, so this is definitely a plus.

Each troop has special abilities you can trigger in game which adds more depth than say dropping spells or flares/smoke/heals/shock.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 2, 2015

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
In as Ocklaton. Applied today for 2poor.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Updated the OP last week with some new and more refined tips that we are developing as we go. I'll add in some of the more advanced units soon.

Guild is about 20 strong with a lot of pirate catchers coming online soon, so that should be a lot of fun. Feel free to ask any questions whether you are thinking about playing or already play. And, as always, we're still looking for more people to join the guild.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
My experience with the bomber is that he periodically decides to go berserk and run into enemy defences ignoring what he was attacking. I've had mixed success with the juggernaut due to the fact he will run into large quantities of defences to disarm a sole trap, which is his 'perk'. Others have had good success with this unit so I didn't rule him out just yet. As Gunners gain range and damage they become very strong. Buccaneers will be meh until they get 200hp total but they still end up like worse Brutes imo. Buccs sit in your Gunner line and lure the mortar shots into your dps so I'm not a big fan of that. I'm hesitant to invest into the witch doctor as i've watched some videos where I really can't tell wtf they do.

I'm unlocking my skellywags tonight so I'll see how they compare to say Buccs or Brutes.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I love Gunners, and I think they are always going to be in my army comp. I'm working on the last range upgrade for them now. Hopefully, that will further reduce (I'm not hopeful enough to say eliminate) their risk from AoE mortar damage behind a line of Brutes.

WitchDoctors I agree, they seem to do nothing, and their special ability is really lackluster. And they cost way way too much. Mine are 30k a piece.

Skelewags are dps troops that close to melee and do good damage. They are a whole lot more tanky than Gunners, but cost 5x or 6x as much per. Personally, I prefer Gunners, but I know some people like Skelewags. They are much more of a Gunner replacement than a Brute replacement, but maybe some people use them differently.

edit: Just hit Pirate Hall 7.

RVT fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 8, 2015

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Someone attacked me with a WD, and it made a giant bubble around his troops and looked like he perhaps healed a single troop ever so slightly. The raid failed at 39%.

I believe the voodoo hut troops are required at the higher pirate ranks to get ahead. After a certain point you will gain 0 trophies for non 3 star wins :ohdear: I like how this keeps everyone in a tighter band so you can safely next maybe 10-15 times for a guy to raid.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
The priestess's "disable all defenses temporarily" ability looks pretty neat. I'll have to try it out one day in the far future of Academy 6.

On the topic of Academies, get your Academy pumping!

Looking at all the upgrades, it looks like different pirates get different anti-NPC map mob upgrades. Meaning, Skyraiders get bonuses against Ghost Ships, Brutes get bonuses against Krakens or something. It's possible that to take out the highest star mobs, you'll need to build your crew specifically for that.

It will be a little bit before we know if that's a requirement, or more of a just, if you have these guys along it's a bit easier type thing. So far it's the latter, and I give no thoughts as to what type of pirates I'm sending out on the boat, I just make sure it's full.

RVT fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 10, 2015

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

RVT posted:

The priestess's "disable all defenses temporarily" ability looks pretty neat. I'll have to try it out one day in the far future of Academy 6.

On the topic of Academies, get your Academy pumping!

Looking at all the upgrades, it looks like different pirates get different anti-NPC map mob upgrades. Meaning, Skyraiders get bonuses against Ghost Ships, Brutes get bonuses against Krakens or something. It's possible that to take out the highest star mobs, you'll need to build your crew specifically for that.

It will be a little bit before we know if that's a requirement, or more of a just, if you have these guys along it's a bit easier type thing. So far it's the latter, and I give no thoughts as to what type of pirates I'm sending out on the boat, I just make sure it's full.

I've known my brutes and gunners were super useful against certain npcs and try to drive my boat through them if I have boat movement left. Why did you invest in the thief :downs:

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

jm20 posted:

I've known my brutes and gunners were super useful against certain npcs and try to drive my boat through them if I have boat movement left. Why did you invest in the thief :downs:

Yeah, we've realized for a long time that certain units get upgrades against certain NPCs. My point was more that, seeing that most (maybe all?) NPC types have a troop damage upgrade associated with them, it's possible that loading your boat with specific troops may be a thing in the very end of the endgame. Possibly not though.

So far, my boat process has amounted to:
1) fill it up
2) ram it into as many NPCs as I can
3) finish with clearing a bit more of the map

...with no regard to what type of NPCs I'm hitting. It's never failed me except recently when with the additional range of the level 5 boat I've gotten greedy, and hit a couple 1-2 stars, a couple 3 stars and trying to finish against a couple 4 stars. Just saying it could involve more planning later on.

The Thieves I upgraded because I was experimenting with mixing them into my Grute. I thought having a few of them on the field would help with cleaning up the buildings people like to put in the corners of the map, as Thieves are much faster than Brutes or Gunners. However, now I'm just reliably in the habit of scouting bases better, and holding a few Gunners back to drop on the outlying buildings, so Thieves aren't necessary anymore.

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003
Witch Doctors are a lot better than you guys give them credit for. They are essentially Discipline Priests casting shields on anyone near them allowing those units to soak up more damage (usually mortars). This kind of works against their active ability since I generally lose so few troops, but every now and then it works ok. My army comp at the moment is 1 Santa, 10 Juggs, 14 Skeles, 3 Thiefs, 1 WD. Santa/Juggs go in first to hit an exposed or nearly exposed mortar, then I funnel the Skeles and WD behind them to provide cover from the rest of the defenses. Thieves are there in case the troops go full retard and ignore lots of resources.

The Skelewags really are very good in this comp. They have 35 damage/260hp compared to a Buc with 20/210 and a gunner with 42/90. Gunners pump out more DPS, especially with their ability, but dead DPS do not DPS as they say so I prefer my Skeles.

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003
Who does bonus damage to fish?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

wraith_5_ posted:

Witch Doctors are a lot better than you guys give them credit for. They are essentially Discipline Priests casting shields on anyone near them allowing those units to soak up more damage (usually mortars). This kind of works against their active ability since I generally lose so few troops, but every now and then it works ok. My army comp at the moment is 1 Santa, 10 Juggs, 14 Skeles, 3 Thiefs, 1 WD. Santa/Juggs go in first to hit an exposed or nearly exposed mortar, then I funnel the Skeles and WD behind them to provide cover from the rest of the defenses. Thieves are there in case the troops go full retard and ignore lots of resources.

The Skelewags really are very good in this comp. They have 35 damage/260hp compared to a Buc with 20/210 and a gunner with 42/90. Gunners pump out more DPS, especially with their ability, but dead DPS do not DPS as they say so I prefer my Skeles.

That army sounds super expensive. Im rolling Santa, 6 brutes 25 gunners and funnel into the core usually. I'm still stuck on brutes being great tanks, and they last just long enough to have my gunner blob go berserk and wipe people out. I'll see how a WD works healing? My gunners I guess.

Im not sure about fish damage bonus, I think it falls to brutes for the most similar type.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Don't think the WD heals, he has a big shield around himself that reduces damage to any friendly troops within range, and can resurrect dead troops as skeletons.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

RVT posted:

Don't think the WD heals, he has a big shield around himself that reduces damage to any friendly troops within range, and can resurrect dead troops as skeletons.

I personally don't think the WD does anything. Though he honestly must do something given they cap how many you can have trained.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Just joined the Guild. Still probably kind of poo poo at the game, trying to figure out what order to upgrade things. The obvious roadblock seems to be needing a lot of storage for affording upgrades.

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

jm20 posted:

That army sounds super expensive. Im rolling Santa, 6 brutes 25 gunners and funnel into the core usually. I'm still stuck on brutes being great tanks, and they last just long enough to have my gunner blob go berserk and wipe people out. I'll see how a WD works healing? My gunners I guess.

Im not sure about fish damage bonus, I think it falls to brutes for the most similar type.

It costs a decent bit to train, but it can roll PH6/7s that have 600-1M of each resource type, and can often 3 star them.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

wraith_5_ posted:

It costs a decent bit to train, but it can roll PH6/7s that have 600-1M of each resource type, and can often 3 star them.

I've been rolling with 2 or 4 less gunners and adding WD to see how they fared. I can confirm they actually do things, and sometimes can be quite spectacular. When everything goes right your bubble will always be on top of your recently dead troops and you will summon tough as nails skeletons to fight again. If things go wrong they either die outright or you will use the skeleton ability too early and summon 1/2 or less of the skeletons you would've. They absolutely should not follow brutes, as they will get smoked by mortars in a hurry.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Okay, I'm in the clutches of this game. Just got my guild hall up, will try and join!

Edit: in game as PowerWalrus

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Can ocklaton and Boar Village please post here in the thread? Thanks friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Labratio
Apr 22, 2003

Super
Hero
In
Training
In as Brown Beard. Yarrrrrr!

• Locked thread