Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I think we are approaching BP farming incorrectly. In two encounters with a 4 star fish (H3), it has given me 700bp/700ep and 2000bp :siren: I will report back after another go, load up on brutes and gunners cause he cleans out your boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mephology
Jan 14, 2012

I have been almost a week without seeing a 3* star boat. Today I finally got one to spawn again. I explore new areas at every opportunity and regularly clear off smaller boats. I have about 50% of the map uncovered and 10k EP, so I do not think the problem is that I am not exploring. Maybe I am exploring wrong? It has been almost two weeks probably since I have gotten a BP bonus from exploring.

Buffalobaby
Sep 26, 2007
in as boar village!

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

jm20 posted:

I think we are approaching BP farming incorrectly. In two encounters with a 4 star fish (H3), it has given me 700bp/700ep and 2000bp :siren: I will report back after another go, load up on brutes and gunners cause he cleans out your boat.

I've seen a 25, 200, 400, 500 and 1500 bonuses, haven't gotten a 2000bp bonus yet.

Whenever someone asks about getting more BP in the chat, my advice is always the same. Send your boat out to kill as many NPCs of as high a star ranking as you can, as often as you can. The boat has been the majority source of my BP. Once you're doing that, if you want more, drop to 1 PR and grind nubs.

The thing about boat bonuses, as I think you'll soon come to discover, is they are extremely random, and you can go through a long dry spell. This is definitely your easiest and probably largest source of BP, but there's not a whole lot you can do to increase it, and it's highly unpredictable.

The reason we talk so much about dropping to 1 PR and grinding nubs is there is really no other way to grind BP.

I just re-read the OP and I could make this more clear there.

My advice for gaining BP, in priority order:

1) Send your boat out as often as possible, and kill as many NPCs as you can per trip, especially 3+ stars.

2a) When raiding for resources (standard play), make sure you attack bases that you can 3 star for max BP gain per attack and do so for every attack.

2b) If you really want to go nuts, drop to 1 Pirate Rank, build all Buccs, and attack baby bases that you can 3 star with 3-5 Buccs or 1 Santa. Have your Tavern constantly building more Buccs, and chain raid like this.

I've done '2b' a couple times, and it's a real beating and not at all fun for me, but it is an option. I can't take much of it, so I probably won't be first to Academy 6, but I'm fine just doing 1 and 2a and letting the BP come as it may.

Kill Big Fish and 4 star Giant fish as often as possible.

mephology posted:

I have been almost a week without seeing a 3* star boat. Today I finally got one to spawn again. I explore new areas at every opportunity and regularly clear off smaller boats. I have about 50% of the map uncovered and 10k EP, so I do not think the problem is that I am not exploring. Maybe I am exploring wrong? It has been almost two weeks probably since I have gotten a BP bonus from exploring.

Seems like you get new mobs spawning after every voyage. I'm at about 74% explored and my map gets a little sparse if I chain a couple voyages with a bunch of NPC kills apiece. Make sure you're opening up new areas and not solely killing NPCs, and I've never run dry before they respawn.

As said above the bonuses are extremely unpredictable and JM is just having a bit of good luck.

RVT fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 4, 2015

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003
Who has found a boat comp to kill the 4 Star Ghost boat?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

wraith_5_ posted:

Who has found a boat comp to kill the 4 Star Ghost boat?

Probably sky raiders once they get the ability. The 4 star fish typically kills my entire boat but 2 dudes.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Yeah, Sky Raiders and Priestesses seem to be the ghost killers.

4 star Ghost Ship does pack a wallop. Last time I want after it, it wiped me out, but it was far from the first NPC on that voyage. I think it's likely I could overpower it with my standard Grute loadout if I straight for it, but it doesn't seem worth the investment, either that way or making a bunch of special troops for it. Especially, when there are plenty of other targets to hit. Unless we find out it has a higher chance of BP bonuses.

I'd love to see some stats on the bonuses for different NPC types and star levels, but the time it would take with how long voyages are, and how much data you'd need to be able to say anything useful means it's a job for someone that isn't me.

edit: I'm at Pirate Rank 433 now. I'm using 1 lvl 12 Santa, 10 lvl 17 Brutes, and 24 lvl 19 Gunners. Max Tavern space and all fully upgraded for level 5 Academy. To still get 3 stars, I'm having to really cherry pick bad bases. I may be able to get to PR 500 and get the next cheeve, but it's probably going to be a bunch of 1-2 star snipes. The bases above 400 are markedly better upgraded and better laid out.

As we've known for a long time and because there is no loot penalty for being a higher PH, there's really no reason to come up here unless you're tagging the cheeves. Seems like the sweet spot, even for PH7 is PR 120-200. Bases are easy to 3 star, and there is tons of easy loot. The loot above 400 isn't really any different, and much harder to get to.

I may have to switch to Juggs and Bombers, but I don't have their upgrades maxed, and I'm not super sure in the best way to deploy them. If someone else wants to push as high as they can, and write about their army comp and strategy, I'd love to hear it.

RVT fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 19, 2015

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003
Ive tested the 4 star ghost ship with a full boat of bucs, full boat of gunners, and a mix of 1/3 gunners/bucs/brutes and every time it always says suicidal. That is with a tavern capacity of 60.

Its the first 4 star ive seen that requires a special loadout so it seemed interesting from a mechanic learning perspective.

There IS a penalty for a higher PH attacking a lower PH. If you cherry pick easy bases its not hard to work around, but it does exist.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Sailing my ship straight to a 4 star Ghost Ship (with no previous encounters) with my standard Grute loadout. 1 lvl 12 Santa, 10 lvl 17 Brutes, 24 lvl 19 Gunners, 65 Tavern space. This is my result:

As you can see I lost everything but 2 Brutes and 5 Gunners. Much closer than I had expected.

With that same loadout, I'm generally able to take multiple 3 and 4 star ships/sea monsters on a single trip, with an added 2 star on the way.

Taking all this into consideration, I think Ghost Ships are something you want to avoid when grinding the NPC map for Battle Points.

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003
Good info, thanks for biting the bullet on it for us.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Another 4 star fish, 700/700 reward. I've started to ignore other enemies where possible because they just increase the time it takes to explore for no tangible gain.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
There seems to be something to JM's theory. Last 4-5 fish I've killed have all given BP bonuses. I'm killing all fish as first priority until they stop making GBS threads BP.

edit: we're always looking for more goons to play. I'm about 20 bucks deep (and my gems have only gone up from there), and I'm going to be maxed, or pretty close to it before they add another PH level (TH for CoC people). That's not something you can say for most of these type of games. Get in while the getting is still good, and it's still really good.

We have completely F2P PH6s that aren't rushed. And even if you rush PH to get better troops and defenses, in this game it doesn't really hurt you at all yet.

If you buy gems, don't be dumb like me and buy 20 bucks worth. Just buy whatever you need to get your 3rd and 4th builder. There's no reason to get anything more. Join 2poor and your recruitment speed will forever be boosted. That's really all the gems are good for, and with how insane the loot is, you don't need to be attacking faster than your army can build naturally.

RVT fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 24, 2015

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
1.4.0 Post Christmas update patch notes:

Plunder Pirates posted:

Removed All Xmas reference.
Please Note: If you have Santa he will stay (and be visible within the Tavern) until he’s deployed within a fight or killed during an Exploration.

Removed Popping Present trap from Shop.

Changed the way Facebook logs in and gems will now be awarded for using the system.

Added A confirmation popup when pressing “Store All” button in edit mode.

Changed Log Settings screen to use a scrollable array.

Global and Guild leaderboards now highlight the player (in red). If the player/guild is outside the leaderboard, it is shown at the bottom of the screen.

Added the inclusion of a URL link button on a news item.

Added a localised leaderboard (there is a bug where the visited base doesn't always match the one tapped on, this is fixed in the next update)

I've been looking at troop types and what they are good against on the NPC map.
pre:
Troop Type	NPC	        Upgrade Name

Buccs	        Pirate Ships	Rival Raiders
Gunners	        Enemy Ships	Destroyer Class
Brutes	        Monsters	Ahab's Apprentice
Thief	        none	        none
Sky Raider	Ghost Ships	Ghost-buster
Bomber	        Kraken	        Calamari King
Juggernaut	Serpents	Serpent Slayer
Heavy Gunner	none	        none

Witchdoctor	none	        none
Skellywag	none	        none
Priestess	Ghost Ships	Ghost-Buster
And these are the NPCs and their types as best as I can figure:
pre:
NPC types	        Class

Kraken	                Kraken
Pirate Galleon	        Pirate Ship
Merchant Barge	        Enemy Ships
Giant Enemy Crab	Monsters?
Royal Navy	        Enemy Ships
Big Fish	        Monsters?
Bigger Fish	        Monsters?
Ghost Ship	        Ghost Ships
Mighty Kraken	        Kraken
Sea Serpent	        Serpents
Mondo Shark	        Monsters?
Merchant Ship	        Enemy Ships
Just announced: Pirate Hall 8 with corresponding building upgrades coming in the next patch! Soon!

Other notes, as of patch 1.3.3 I guess PH level does affect how much you can steal from lower PHs. No idea on how much it affects it. Also, you are limited in how much you can steal based on your own storages and collectors. You can only steal up to 20% of what you can hold in your storages/collectors combined.

RVT fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 28, 2015

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Some pitfalls in upgrading troops I've just discovered.

If you buy too many of the upgrades, your troops will become basically unusable due to grog cost and time to recruit.

The troops most affected by this are the WitchDoctor, Bomber, Heavy Gunner, and Jugg.

WitchDoctor is the biggest offender. If you avoid the lone 3hp and 5hp branches on the WD upgrade tree, you can get the last upgrade, Guardian, which is a massive buff, and only pay 50k grog per WD. If you get the two minor, avoidable hp buffs, your WDs will cost 100k each. There is no way to undo this besides starting a new account.

I'll have to figure out the optimal paths for the other troops later.

To me this seems clearly unintended, and a massive problem for people that just did all the upgrades and now have unusable troops. There are lots of complaints on the official forums, but I haven't seen any dev response. Hopefully, this is addressed in the PH8 patch, or soon afterwards.

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

Joining up in game. Let's hope I can keep this up with my pooping.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Today's "Coming Soon!" means the patch has been delayed another week I assume. Midoki has assured us it is coming out this month though.

So far we know we're getting:

- Pirate Hall 8 with attendant upgrades to other buildings. Possible Academy 7 and Boat 6?
- A new guild perk building, the Training Ground. From the description, seems like this is the toughness/hp version of the Blacksmith.
- Buffs to the Priestess, Heavy Gunner, Thief (who all suck and no one uses, which is why they are getting a buff), and the Skellywag who isn't terrible, but there's not much reason to use him as he's much much more expensive than buccs or gunners and does the same job.
- Ching Shih, the new OP temporary unit.

Hopefully we get the patch next week and not another sneak peek.

RVT fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 16, 2015

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
Applied as "funbox".

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Release 1.5.0 Chinese New Year patch notes posted:

Added Chinese New Year.

Added Ching Shih Legendary Pirate.

Added new Imperial, merchant, dragon and pirate map event ships for Chinese New Year.

New Chinese New Year loading screen.

Added new Pirate Hall upgrade level (8) which unlocks a whole set of new buildings.

Wall Level 10 & 11
Cannon Level 14
Academy Level 7
Mortar Level 10
Mine Level 4
Gun Tower Level 10
Mystic Mortar Level 3
Ground Pounder Level 2
One additional Gun Tower
One additional Bunker
One additional Ground Pounder
25 extra walls
Voodoo Hut Level 4
Guild Hall Level 4
Stone Masons Level 3 (unlocked in Guild Hall 4)
Pirate Catcher Level 3 (unlocked in Guild Hall 4)
NEW Training Ground Level 1 (unlocked in Guild Hall 4)

Changed unlock structure on some objects
Pirate Hall 3

Pirate Catcher Level 1 (now unlocked earlier with Guild Hall 2)

Pirate Hall 4

NEW object Flame Gate Level 1

Pirate Hall 5

Pirate Catcher Level 2 (unlocked in Guild Hall 3)

Pirate Hall 6

NEW object Flame Gate Level 2

Make Chat window simpler.

Revised Night-time lighting & added in automatic light change.

Added settings option to disable night-time lighting.

Added New Skills for Pirates.

Brute: ‘Bullet Shield’ passive skill - the amount of damage taken during ‘Bring it On’ is reduced
Thief: Her base damage has been boosted, and ‘Light Touch’ means that she remains invisible for a short period of time during ‘Who Goes There’, even when under fire.
Juggernaut: ‘Super Strike’ special ability - he temporarily sacrifices personal safety for a massive damage boost (increases damage at the cost of a reduction in toughness)
Skellywag: The new special ability ‘Marrow Shield’ reduces damage taken temporarily. ‘Power of Voodoo’ passive skill allows the Skellywag to be resurrected as a Skellywag with 50% health, instead of a mere skeleton.
Priestess: Not only has 'Nighty Night’ had its range increased, but her new skill 'Long Arm of the Loa’ increases the range even further
Heavy Gunner: Range and damage increased

Witch Doctor now protects other units during an exploration event (more likely to succeed with Witch Doctors as part of the ship's crew).

Reduced recruitment times and costs for certain pirates

Added upgrade level for the Pirate Catcher.

A whole multitude of bug fixes, general improvements and optimisations!

Patch hit this morning!

What do you like? What don't you like? What are you upgrading first?

I'm going to upgrade the pirate catcher as much as I can as fast as I can. I figure faster armies built, equals more loot, equals faster everything else upgrades.

You can upgrade your mines from level 3 to level 4. The damage increases by 33%, and the re-arm cost increases by 650%. Might be something to skip. Forever.

RVT fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 18, 2015

mephology
Jan 14, 2012

The only thing good about mines is using them to lure juggs into lines of fire. I have not really found them useful outside of that. The Shih unit is pretty interesting, she attacks like a brute targeting defenses and I think she brings other troops towards her with her active along with increasing her damage. Not really sure though.

ralz
Apr 7, 2009
Opening up Pirate Catcher to Guild Hall 2 is huge. Anyone have news on bp awarded by any of the Chinese New Year NPCs? I'm still harvesting for Academy upgrade so have been focusing on 3-star fish for now (haven't seen any 4-star yet).

mephology
Jan 14, 2012

ralz posted:

Opening up Pirate Catcher to Guild Hall 2 is huge. Anyone have news on bp awarded by any of the Chinese New Year NPCs? I'm still harvesting for Academy upgrade so have been focusing on 3-star fish for now (haven't seen any 4-star yet).

They are awarding BP, not fish levels, but not terrible. I think they replaced alot of my 3* fish spawns or the 3* fish added a new location and has not been around for about a week after 4 weeks of solidly farming it.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
The sneak peak for the next patch shows a Guild Boat that will seem to mimic the functionality of the Clash clan castle. So, we're about to have a lot of ways to support each other in game.

Also, the newest commercial promises "Android version coming soon".

khy
Aug 15, 2005

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK them for not releasing on android yet because I need more poop games.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

"Midoki patch notes 1.6.0" posted:

Removed CNY features

Removed Ching Shih

Added Troop Donations

Added Player statistics screen

Added Ability to Visit, Invite, Promote, Demote, Kick and Nudge from the numerous player lists (including Chat).

Display who kicked/promoted/demoted players in the guild chat

Added Belarus, Albania, Jordan, Kurdistan, Syria and Libya flags

Fixed issues with displaying defences during visiting enemy bases

Fixed issue with perk contributions resetting when perk activates

Guild Captain can nudge an inactive player via a push notification

Percentage that a player can steal from gold/grog mines/storage now depends on the level of that mine/storage

Balanced hit points of defences

Fixed issue with multi-wall selection

Fixed Flame Gate display issue

Training Ground text corrected for all languages

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Don't see "Android port has been released", don't care.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Now that people have their guild boats up, I'd like to hear what people think the best auto-donate troop is. So, the equivalent of archers in Clash. My suggestion would be Gunners.

Let me know what you think the best troops are for donating. Requests/donations will really pick up once everyone gets the guild boats caught up to their PH level and aren't constantly upgrading it.

Personally, just put whatever troop you want in your req message and I'll make it for you. However, until the game comes out on Android and/or I become unemployed, I'll only be on and donating at night and on weekends.

DailyDumSum
May 21, 2004
Fresh Daily
I bite the bullet and joined. In as edmundzilla.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

nightwisher posted:

Don't see "Android port has been released", don't care.

This is all i'm following the thread for.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

DailyDumSum posted:

I bite the bullet and joined. In as edmundzilla.

Welcome.

I'm going to do some reorganizing now that we're approaching cap.

Crew - goons
Cabin Boy - pubs

If you're a Cabin Boy and a goon, post in the thread so I know you're goon.

This will make it easier to clear room for the influx of goons whenever the Android release happens.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

In as Man Called M

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
I need a new time waster, applied as Goodchild_SA.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
We have a few new members, so I thought I'd do a very brief post of 3 very basic tips for having a good time playing Plunder Pirates.

Gems - only spend gems on two things:

1) Buy all your builders first. There are only 4, and the loot is plentiful in this game. You will have no trouble keeping them all busy, even in the endgame.

2) After builders, only use gems to gem troops complete, preferably while the Pirate Catcher is active, and only when you are pushing to fill your storages for a big upgrade. E.g. you have 2 million gold, and you need 4 million for your PH 7, but don't want to get plowed while your army builds - gem armies done and raid until you have the 4 mil. Don't buy resources directly with gems, and don't speed up build times with gems.

Battle Points - the easiest way to get battle points is killing Fish (especially Bigger Fish) and to a lesser extent Serpents. With enough Bigger Fish spawning, chaining 4 hour voyagers straight to a fish, and repeating is easily the fastest source of BP in the game, and will dwarf what you get from battles.

Base upgrades - mortars are your best defense for most/all of the game, but keep your storages up to date as well, or you may find yourself spending a week upgrading storages to be able to hold enough for your next big (usually PH) upgrade.

Happy to answer any other questions.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Looks like Android release, likely on Tuesday morning.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Sweeeeet, hopefully I can find time to spare to actually play this. Time is already spread thin between boom beach, coc and brave frontier.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Luckily i'm all out of poopbreak games since clash became such a grind, so this should replace it nicely.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I've made a bunch of room for the influx of Android players. If you've been kicked and want to start playing again, just re-apply.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I thought the android port was coming out today?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

nightwisher posted:

I thought the android port was coming out today?

*furiously refreshing the play store*

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
They usually do their updates early in the week. Not sure if we'll see it later this week or what.

I'm really antsy for it myself, I need the android version so I can play at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

so am I waiting a week for android?

• Locked thread