Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Android goon jumping in as Discworld I think. Applied to the guild. If that is not my name then it is Ben Wagner. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Reposting this for the new page ---

We have 18 19 20 21 22 new goons in the guild and Plunder Pirates Android is just barely 12 hours old as of this post.

I have been fielding questions in the thread and in the chat as best as I can from my phone, but now that I am home from work, I'll type up some slightly longer answers to the questions I've received so far.

Gems - only spend gems on two things:

1) Buy all your builders first. There are only 4, and the loot is plentiful in this game. You will have no trouble keeping them all busy, even in the endgame.

2) After you have all 4 builders (!!), only use gems to complete troop recruiting and only when you are pushing to fill your storages for a big upgrade. E.g. you have 2 million gold, and you need 4 million for your PH 7, but don't want to get plowed while your army builds - gem armies done and raid until you have the 4 mil. Don't ever buy resources directly with gems, and don't ever speed up build times with gems.

Base upgrades - mortars are your best defense for most/all of the game, but keep your storages up to date as well, or you may find yourself spending a week upgrading storages to be able to hold enough for your next big (usually PH) upgrade.

The Map/Boat - before you send your boat out make sure it is completely full of troops. Doesn't really matter which ones. You should be able to kill almost any monster/enemy ship your boat can reach, so if you're seeing the "Suicidal" message, either your boat is not full, or your voyage is trying to kill too many enemies in one trip.

Base layout / Defense - Don't worry about this too much until PH4-5+, people that want your loot are going to roll you and take it. However, here is a general guide for building a decent base.

1) Put what you want to protect in the center - your storages.
2) Put your mortars (if you have them) next to your storages.
3) Put your other defenses (cannons, gun towers) around the core you built above.
4) Surround as much of that as you can with walls (when you get them).
5) Put everything else outside the walls, around this (including your Pirate Hall). The idea is you want their troops attacking your useless buildings, while your defenses kill them.

The Early Game (PH1-5) - when people attack you, they are probably going to wipe you out. When you log in, tap all your gold mines and distilleries, and do your raid(s) and then spend as much of your loot as you can - to keep the amount of loot people can steal down. Keep your builders busy.

Getting your clock cleaned every attack may seem rough, and explaining why it is good is a little difficult, but I'll try in a future mini guide. I don't want this post to get too huge for people to read on their first day.

Happy to answer any other questions, or explain my reasoning behind any of the above, just post.

Also, I updated the OP as of about a patch ago, so it should be pretty helpful if you want to read more about the game. I have yet to find a good and updated wiki for this game, so unfortunately my ramblings might be your best source of information for now.

RVT fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 23, 2015

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha
A tip for some of us new people,

I am in the sub 100 pirate rank, I can usually find an abandoned base with 500,000+ resources available, While i don't stand a chance at the base with my 15 pirates, 1 undefended mine/grog factory will max my storages for 1-2 pirates.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Applied as Zox

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Another couple mini guides for the new people - on the perks of being in a guild:

Guild Perks:

These are funded by members contributing gold, grog, EP, or BP. Once funded, they give the listed bonus. E.g. Blacksmith gives +damage to your troops, Pirate Catcher gives reduced pirate recruitment time.

Once fully funded, they give their bonus to everyone in the guild with the corresponding structure built.

Upgrading your structure gives an increased bonus, but also ramps up the cost to fund per 5%. The funding lasts for 24 hours, then a 2 hour cooldown, then the perk can be funded again. At minimum, 2-4 members can fully fund the various perks, but it would be nice to split that cost among more members. First mates can also "share" that a perk needs funding into chat.

The OP has more on Guild Perks.

Guild Ship:

This is like your Clash Clan Castle, except it only works on offense.

If you don't know what that is, that's ok. It's basically another ship you can build starting at Pirate Hall 3, Guild Hall 1. You can request troops that anyone in the clan can provide. Different troops take up different amounts of space (just like your tavern). If you get high level troops from one of the more advanced guys, they will do work, but they probably won't roll a base by themselves.

You cannot send this boat out in the single player Map.

Feel free to request as much as you like. We'll fill as much as we can. You may also get level 1 troops from new people.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Applied as Roid. Let me in goon bros!

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Applied as ProHere. I am in all the poop games and all the poop clans.

Cptain Amazing
Feb 4, 2008
Thats Gold
Applied as Cap Amazing

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Just applied to join.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Hey, I like pirates! This might be fun! Joined either as CaptainVenora or James Bellandi, depending on whether it's using my google play name or not.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Good lord, I can't wait for a better boat.. I just started construction on the Academy and level 3 HQ. Think I'm making progress. This game is certainly much more generous than the Star Wars CoC, which is the only one I (briefly) played.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Never played any of the CoC type games, but with all the hype I figured I'd give this one a go.

Looks like the guild is full though.

Should I jump in to PvP immediately? I ask because it says something about my shield going away if I try to fight someone.

Apogee15 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 23, 2015

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

New Leaf posted:

Good lord, I can't wait for a better boat.. I just started construction on the Academy and level 3 HQ. Think I'm making progress. This game is certainly much more generous than the Star Wars CoC, which is the only one I (briefly) played.

Yes it is. I already dropped (the only) 20 dollars (I'll ever spend on the game), and it helped me out IMMENSELY. I have 4 builders, guild boat, LV1 Academy, Upgraded Gunners / Bucs, and I'm working toward upgrading the Academy to LV2. All of this is in a period of 24 hours. Not too shabby considering the glacial pace of OTHER F2P games.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Apogee15 posted:

Should I jump in to PvP immediately? I ask because it says something about my shield going away if I try to fight someone.

This game'll match you up against bases that are way too strong for you to take on, but that still have plenty of unguarded collectors that you can snipe. You'll make more in a couple raids than you'll ever lose without a shield so go for it!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
I just started playing as Rootballa, but the guild's full. This is my first CoC style game and it seems pretty fun.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
In as ArteaSA. Looks like the goon guild in the OP is already full.

I knew I should have started playing a few days ago when I first installed it haha.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Yup the first guild is full. No idea we'd have this kind of response.

If someone wants to start a second guild that would probably be good. Experience tells me we'll lose a decent amount of people after the first few weeks, so anyone that's still playing that wants to come over will be able to at that point.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
In before sorry, not sorry.....ANYWAY

I have to admit as far as time suck early on? This game's got it, but I can already see how this spaces itself out more and more with timers and cooldowns, which will be a boon to my productivity again.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
In as overseer07. Please add me to the guild waiting list.

DangerousSpoon
Feb 28, 2009
In as Kanimas

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I started an account as ephphatha cause I'm unimaginative. Whenever someone wants to make a second guild I'll jump in but I'm still trying to work out what all the buttons do so I'm not gonna do it myself. Gotta say this game looks incredibly busy on a phone, all the poo poo looks the same to me. Guess I'll get used to it after a while.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I've grabbed all the IGNs of the guys above that couldn't get in.

I asked several of our PH8/7 vets if they would split off and start an overflow guild, but none of them were willing to leave the sweet sweet perks of the guild.

I just fired up a second account, but I it's gonna be a couple days before it's far along enough to start a guild. If someone else wants to start one in the meantime, I expect we'll be able to fold you back into the main guild in the next few weeks as people drop off.

To that point, if you're new and you go a week+ without logging in, I'm probably going to assume you tried and didn't like the game and kick you. If you come back just post and we'll get you back in the guild as soon as we can.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Non-IAP newbie perspective:

Starting day 3: I'm at Pirate Hall 3, Tavern 4, Guild Ship finishing up in about six hours, Blacksmith built, 90K-ish storage for gold and grog, 130 gems to go to get my third Builder. The Builders are the major bottleneck for progress because it's drat hard to find anything to spend gold/grog on that doesn't require a Builder, and you need to do a lot of building before you can upgrade your ship for further exploration (that's two Grog Storage 4s at a minimum to afford the Lighthouse).

If you don't care about your Battle Rank (and at this point I do not) filling up your Gold/Grog tanks is absurdly easy. Shop around for an opponent who's got basically unprotected storage units and lots of your currency of choice and then just unload everything on it. You may be defeated in 20 seconds but you'll steal tens of thousands of gold/grog in 10.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

delfin posted:

If you don't care about your Battle Rank (and at this point I do not) filling up your Gold/Grog tanks is absurdly easy. Shop around for an opponent who's got basically unprotected storage units and lots of your currency of choice and then just unload everything on it. You may be defeated in 20 seconds but you'll steal tens of thousands of gold/grog in 10.

I don't think PR matters at all, at least not this early on. I'm all the way down to level 1 but I can still find a base with 100k+ of each resource and fill up my storages after doing 4% damage. Just a few collectors that aren't behind a wall is all I need.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014

delfin posted:

Already better than CoC with all the prime targets.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
Seriously. Picking up a couple hundred grand in gold & grog at rank 1 is just a matter of hitting next a few times.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
I find it really hard to differentiate all the different buildings to know if they are storage or not -.-

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I found this one guy with 500k of both and he had put all of his storage and mines out on a totally unprotected island. I may have lost, but he now has no grog or gold. Guessing my guys tossed the gold and drank the grog since I only had storage for ~100k of each.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
Started the game about 2 days ago and I feel like I'm accomplishing a hella of a lot more than Clash of the Clans. It's so much easier to get gold/grog in this game, I find myself just waiting to spend all of it while my builders finish upgrading stuff. Also exploring in this game is too fun.

My name is fuquaz if you could add me to the list.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
^^^^ no prob

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Started the game about 2 days ago and I feel like I'm accomplishing a hella of a lot more than Clash of the Clans.

This feeling lasts throughout the game, not just the beginning.

If you guys are swimming in grog, your academy can do 1 upgrade per troop at once. So you can have a ton of upgrades going.

Pic from January but you get the idea.

RVT fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 24, 2015

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Guild appears to be full. If a spot opens (or if a second guild pops up), I'll be applying as TK421.

TK_421 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 25, 2015

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I've created an overflow guild.

Please join LLJK if you're waiting for an invite to 2poor.

It's set on open right now. I'll promote some Officers and set it to closed once we get a few people in. If you aren't on my list, because you haven't posted in the thread, expect to be kicked when I check in on it.

This will let people use the perks and donate to each other as they wait for spots to open up in the main guild.

This is my current wait list for the main guild:

1 Rootballa
2 ArteaSA
3 overseer07
4 Kanimas
5 ephphatha
6 fuquaz
7 TK421

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
I've joined the overflow guild as Tortoiseshell To. Should be Tom but I can't find out how to change the name, if that's even possible.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

ZeusJupitar posted:

I've joined the overflow guild as Tortoiseshell To. Should be Tom but I can't find out how to change the name, if that's even possible.

Book and quill in the bottom left
Gears on the top right of that menu
Rename

Although, it costs 20 gems, and I'd save every gem I could until I had all 4 builders.

But that's how you do it.

Albert Gibson
Oct 19, 2012
Have joined the overflow guild as 'Albert Gibson'

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord
Joined the overflow guild as dihaploidy.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I'm playing with the same name as here. Let's see how long this goes before they put in clan wars and I burn out :v:

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

RVT posted:

Book and quill in the bottom left
Gears on the top right of that menu
Rename

Although, it costs 20 gems, and I'd save every gem I could until I had all 4 builders.

But that's how you do it.

Thanks. Guess I can live with it.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

In as here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012
I've joined LLJK as TrashCanGammy. Pretty new to this stuff didn't play clash of clans. How hard can it be?

• Locked thread