Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
20 years ago bribes, "alley adjustments", sap gloves, beating the hell out of people for any and all reasons, yanking people out of cars, these are all things that were normal and accepted practice. Now these things are the exception and not the rule.

The advent of cameras (cell phone, dash cams, surveillance cameras), increased hiring standards, better pay, better training, better equipment, better less lethal options, better testing and hiring practices, have all contributed to reducing violence and corruption in law enforcement.

There will always be problems in policing because cops are human and humans are imperfect, but the problems have gone down a lot. Just because the media hypes up ten, twenty, or even a hundred cases a year does not indicate systemic unfixable problems in an industry with a million employees making several million contacts with people daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
also dash cams aren't on constantly so that cop in berkeley didn't turn it off so he could burn a black. But seriously full communism 2015 burn NYC/wallstreet to the ground rural agrarian society and local horses for all.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Branis posted:

also dash cams aren't on constantly so that cop in berkeley didn't turn it off so he could burn a black. But seriously full communism 2015 burn NYC/wallstreet to the ground rural agrarian society and local horses for all.

You can't argue with those people or explain to them how cameras work when half of them think the police just planted the gun anyways.

Romney '16 gently caress tha haters.

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

My hope, as well.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

You can't argue with those people or explain to them how cameras work when half of them think the police just planted the gun anyways.

I'll vote Shepard if you start punching out reporters.

Groveling Toast
Jun 2, 2008

Local horses 2016...murica

I choose not to believe stories from the older guys at my department because jesus christ

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
I got into this field in 2005 and I worked with a good amount of guys who got their start in the late 70s early 80s and were just getting ready to retire and goddamn their stories were somethin else. We are far enough into the 2000s now that i'd wager the vast majority of cops out there are post 2000 hires and so we are seeing more education and more tech friendliness.

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010
Imagine the shoe on the other foot twenty years down the road.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

GunForumMeme posted:

The good ole days when marijuana was illegal, we still incarcerated criminals, carried guns and drove gasoline powered cars :corsair:

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

beanieson posted:

The good ole days when marijuana was illegal, we still incarcerated criminals, carried guns and drove gasoline powered cars :corsair:

and no Youtube

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
I hope some day I can retire from the mars police department after immigrating to the red planet in 2020.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Longtime lurker, blah blah. Two questions...

1) Best cop show, interpret anyway you want provided first answer?

2) You got moidahed. Who do you want on scene, and then investigating?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Not a cop but The Wire is the best cop show that has existed or will ever exist.

:omarcomin:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Mortabis posted:

Not a cop but The Wire is the best cop show that has existed or will ever exist.

:omarcomin:

Sorry, nope, Sledge Hammer!.

:thereisnosledgehammersmileyandshouldbe:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

GunForumMeme posted:

He doesn't know how to use the three seashells!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

rejutka posted:

Longtime lurker, blah blah. Two questions...

1) Best cop show, interpret anyway you want provided first answer?

2) You got moidahed. Who do you want on scene, and then investigating?

Tibbs & Gillespie

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Branis posted:

I hope some day I can retire from the mars police department after immigrating to the red planet in 2020.

Don't be dense; Mars has lousy bene's and no uniform allowance. Jupiter's moon pays better, offers a supplemental matching 401k in addition to pension, but fwiw I hear there's a lot of tweakers.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

JayKay posted:

He doesn't know how to use the three seashells!

We're police officers... we're not trained to handle this kind of violence!

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

The Proc posted:

Tibbs & Gillespie

I had to look up Gillespie and then felt ashamed I didn't twig it first round.

Got Tibbs though. I presume pre-heroin habit.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayTnvVpj9t4

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Dingleberry posted:

Don't be dense; Mars has lousy bene's and no uniform allowance. Jupiter's moon pays better, offers a supplemental matching 401k in addition to pension, but fwiw I hear there's a lot of tweakers.

legit good film

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

Dingleberry posted:

I'm not gonna be some scrub moon cop.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Branis posted:

I'm not gonna be some scrub moon cop.

GFM would feel right at home, those lunar rovers are just jacked up golf carts.

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

beanieson posted:

GFM would feel right at home, those lunar rovers are just jacked up golf carts.
I resemble that remark.

Half of weekend day shift work involved kicking kids off the back nine.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The Wire is good Prez is the inspiration for my entire life.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Except I'm really bad at math.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Southland was the best cop show.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

The subject of best cop show comes up like once a month and you motherfuckers still don't know nothing about Hawaii Five-0 smh

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

beanieson posted:

The subject of best cop show comes up like once a month and you motherfuckers still don't know nothing about Hawaii Five-0 smh

You better be talking about the original

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

DrakeriderCa posted:

You better be talking about the original

is you for real???
\

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010
Adam 12 > Hawaii 5-0

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

The shield you plebs.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

The shield you plebs.

yes because dark and also gritty and very extreme are all the ways I enjoy my cop shows

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
dragnet now shut the gently caress up :c00lbert:

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
loving try to tell me i'm wrong

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sticking with Heat of the Night because it's my constant reminder that the late 80s were a parallel dimension where you could make a show about likeable good ole boy cops and still have it be LF as gently caress

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Hill Street Blues you goddamn kids

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

The Proc posted:

Sticking with Heat of the Night because it's my constant reminder that the late 80s were a parallel dimension where you could make a show about likeable good ole boy cops and still have it be LF as gently caress

fuckin a man the best show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
If you say anything other than Miami Vice, you're broken

http://vimeo.com/33935936

• Locked thread