Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timma85
Feb 13, 2006
I just arrived at Ft. Benning and one of the inprocessing requirements is speaking with retention. The career counselor is now constantly bothering me about reenlisting because I PCSed with only a year and a few months left and that doesn't satisfy the 24 month SRR. The retention guys are saying I need to either reenlist this week or sign a DEC statement. Is there any truth to what they are saying? Both the options suck and I'm trying to avoid signing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
before you do anything find anansi and punch him in the dick.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

timma85 posted:

I just arrived at Ft. Benning and one of the inprocessing requirements is speaking with retention. The career counselor is now constantly bothering me about reenlisting because I PCSed with only a year and a few months left and that doesn't satisfy the 24 month SRR. The retention guys are saying I need to either reenlist this week or sign a DEC statement. Is there any truth to what they are saying? Both the options suck and I'm trying to avoid signing anything.

Did they say what would happen if you just don't do anything?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
A dec statement for what? Normally that's for when you pick up a qualification, say airborne, and you don't want to get sent somewhere, say Polk. Having just arrived at Benning, you haven't declined anything. Or are you going to a certain unit that requires it? But if that was the case, they should've gone through this before you PCSed.

Failing that, there's always the third option of getting an extension on your contract.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum
Be that guy nobody ever wants to bother anymore because you'll blow 20 man-hours' worth of legal/career/whatever counsel on every piece of horse poo poo your SL/any other random rear end in a top hat tries to feed you.

calmasahinducow
Oct 31, 2004
i am a pirate of the high seas
Am I gay for calling a Reservist out for being in ACUs at a bar at midnight? I actually called out his E-7 who was in ASUs. There were a group of six, three in ASUs, two in greens and the dude in ACUs and of course they wanted to fight me.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

kinda gay but not as gay as them

calmasahinducow
Oct 31, 2004

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

kinda gay but not as gay as them

yeah that's my assessment as well

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

calmasahinducow posted:

Am I gay for calling a Reservist out for being in ACUs at a bar at midnight? I actually called out his E-7 who was in ASUs. There were a group of six, three in ASUs, two in greens and the dude in ACUs and of course they wanted to fight me.

You should have performed some sick MACP takedown moves on them, ftw.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

not caring here posted:

A dec statement for what? Normally that's for when you pick up a qualification, say airborne, and you don't want to get sent somewhere, say Polk. Having just arrived at Benning, you haven't declined anything. Or are you going to a certain unit that requires it? But if that was the case, they should've gone through this before you PCSed.

Failing that, there's always the third option of getting an extension on your contract.

Apparently I was never supposed to PCS because I only have a year and some change left. Now the career counselor is saying since I'm in my reenlistment window, reenlisting or signing a DEC statement ASAP are my only two options. The 1SG and career counselor are best buddies as well so I can only avoid him for so long.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

timma85 posted:

Apparently I was never supposed to PCS because I only have a year and some change left. Now the career counselor is saying since I'm in my reenlistment window, reenlisting or signing a DEC statement ASAP are my only two options. The 1SG and career counselor are best buddies as well so I can only avoid him for so long.

Well, that's pretty lovely.

Considering this isn't your fault, I'd go drop by and have a chat to legal. Because that's some bullshit. Just because some idiot at your last duty station hosed up you shouldn't have to deal with it (but you probably will).

Actually, I was gonna write up a whole bunch of poo poo about your options, but it's probably wrong, so I recommend going to have a chat to legal. I think what it all boils down to though is do you want to stay in, really.

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us
Going TDY to Germany for about 2 weeks, anyone know if I can rent/drive a rental vehicle without a USAREUR license? Says here that I can drive a non-usareur plated vehicle with stateside license and TDY orders, but I've read differently elsewhere.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
The guys that came from Texas for JRMC were told they could not rent a car without a USAREUR license, but that could just be the faggotry at JMRC as well.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

timma85 posted:

If you have no real financial or career reason to stay in, don't be afraid to cash in on your chapter 33 benefits. Getting a coupon for one free college degree is a pretty big deal if you have a plan and the ability.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod

Gooble Gobble posted:

Going TDY to Germany for about 2 weeks, anyone know if I can rent/drive a rental vehicle without a USAREUR license? Says here that I can drive a non-usareur plated vehicle with stateside license and TDY orders, but I've read differently elsewhere.

I just got back from a TDY there a few weeks ago. Policy was non- USAEUR personnel could rent a vehicle without a USAEUR license but you could not drive a POV of someone stationed there.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

timma85 posted:

Yeah this sounds like complete bullshit.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

What are they going to do to you if you just tell the career counselor to get hosed? Un-PCS you? Kick you out early? I'm seriously confused.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

timma85 posted:

Post in the legal FAQ. Actus Rhesus knows this poo poo I bet.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Your situation is one of the dumbest but most Army I've ever heard. All you need is a PT belt around your PCS orders.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Ask here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671019

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

Cole posted:

Your situation is one of the dumbest but most Army I've ever heard. All you need is a PT belt around your PCS orders.

This is true. It sounds so loving stupid but in the realm of possibility in the army. After looking up regs and talking to a few senior NCO's I trust it's sounding like its a bunch of BS. I didn't even know there's a legal thread so I'll be sure to double check in there. I don't know if my brigade career counselor is just actively lying to me or if he just has no clue how to do his job. Possibly both.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
A more reasonable assumption is that they don't know what to immediately do, so instead of researching the situation they will hem and haw until you fold.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Let us recall Hanlon's Razor:

quote:

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Equine Don posted:

True story: there was a guy in 5th group support company who had a bumper sticker with the long tab

Group support is horrible. Think randomly selected Big Army guys trying to play by bigboy rules. The regs exist for a reason, and lowing off your job because no one is forcing you to do it is weak poo poo. I've gotten two guys in the bars for saying they were "SF" because they were privates in the Group Support Bn. My opinion is that no one outside of the military, especially not randoms in the bar, give a poo poo about what you've done in the military.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i was about to laugh at this, but Volkswagen drivers has consistently shown themselves to be the worst drivers possible in my experience, so it's probably warranted.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
volkswagens are also poo poo cars for idiots so gently caress that guy

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Subaru drivers are the worst. They all drive like they've taken slomo.

calmasahinducow
Oct 31, 2004
My brigade's APFT passage rate is 45%.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

You take that back <:mad:>

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

iceslice posted:

Group support is horrible. Think randomly selected Big Army guys trying to play by bigboy rules. The regs exist for a reason, and lowing off your job because no one is forcing you to do it is weak poo poo. I've gotten two guys in the bars for saying they were "SF" because they were privates in the Group Support Bn. My opinion is that no one outside of the military, especially not randoms in the bar, give a poo poo about what you've done in the military.

I thought you were at least evaluated before you were assigned to it, apparently not.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Nope.

I got assigned 3rd SFG GSC right out of AIT.

In 1990.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Spicy Guacamole posted:

You take that back <:mad:>

gently caress you learn to drive

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

gently caress you learn to drive
NO

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Ogrel72 posted:

Nope.

I got assigned 3rd SFG GSC right out of AIT.

In 1990.

:corsair:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

i was thinking about getting a subaru then i remembered i hate how they feel, like they just feel loving heavy bleh

also who are you and what have you done with ab?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

also who are you and what have you done with ab?

Pardon?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

you made a post about cars that wasnt just telling people to shut up about cars :tinfoil:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Not necessarily, the WRX/STI is like the Nerd Mustang in the Army. That and Lancer Evos. Jeeps are the redneck Mustang.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

shut up about cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

shut up about cars

:3:

• Locked thread