Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

shut up about cars
You're not my dad!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Only because I stopped for gas on the way.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

calmasahinducow posted:

My brigade's APFT passage rate is 45%.

I haven't taken an APFT in over a year and won't be taking another one until March.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Spicy Guacamole posted:

You're not my dad!!!

Yes I am.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
You can buy LMTVs from DLA now.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

volkswagens are also poo poo cars for idiots so gently caress that guy

Subaru drivers are the worst. They all drive like they've taken slomo.

these are both cool and correct opinions

HelpImARock3
May 27, 2010

Don't get treed by a Chihuahua

Equine Don posted:

You can buy LMTVs from DLA now.

Or you can blow your entire life savings on this 30 year old hand me down.

http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucdsclnk?sl=91QSCI14360602

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

HelpImARock3 posted:

quote:

Reusing this item instead of buying new is like saving the carbon equivalent of...

258,407.59 gallons of gasoline used

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

HelpImARock3 posted:

Someday :sigh:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
let's pool our money like goons do for stupid stuff except buy something cool like that blackhawk.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
"We'll show you a loving goonfleet you worthless nerds"

*slams helicopter into 7-11*

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My old man car is going to be a CUCV

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
GSA is holding out on us

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'd buy a CUCV over a loving HMMWV any day. That bench seat is the shiiiiiiiiiit. Also, you can just buy parts for it that aren't designed to fail while parked.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

HelpImARock3 posted:

Ewww an Alpha model

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Triggs posted:

Ewww an Alpha model

Where's YOUR helicopter sucka?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Your mom's going to have a CUC'd V.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Cole posted:

Where's YOUR helicopter sucka?

At the airfield with about 30 others

Best part is I don't even have to pay for gas

*goes to take a piss while 100's of dollars of JP-8 burns*

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS posted:

Your mom's going to have a CUC'd V.

That doesn't even make sense. You can't cuckold a vulva.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Triggs posted:

At the airfield with about 30 others

Best part is I don't even have to pay for gas

*goes to take a piss while 100's of dollars of JP-8 burns*

I love the smell of jp-8 in the morning.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Cole posted:

Did they say what would happen if you just don't do anything?

This is the most important thing to learn for any "requirement" ever. People around me are constantly flabbergasted at the complete lack of attention I give to poo poo we're all apparently supposed to be constantly doing. poo poo will figure itself out. If you want to re-enlist when it is your time then go do it. When you come time to ETS, you can do that. Or you can re-enlist. What you did now at this moment isn't going to matter at all.

Follow this advice for a sane Army life.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Defleshed posted:

This is the most important thing to learn for any "requirement" ever. People around me are constantly flabbergasted at the complete lack of attention I give to poo poo we're all apparently supposed to be constantly doing. poo poo will figure itself out. If you want to re-enlist when it is your time then go do it. When you come time to ETS, you can do that. Or you can re-enlist. What you did now at this moment isn't going to matter at all.

Follow this advice for a sane Army life.

This should be required to be posted in every subsequent Army thread OP IMO.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

psydude posted:

This should be required to be posted in every subsequent Army thread OP IMO.

It's probably easier now because I am an officer but I did this as an enlisted Marine as well. Putting my E-3 hat on for a minute, what I would do is just say you're "still trying to decide" anytime anyone asks about it. There's no law or rule that says you HAVE to re-enlist OR decline and certainly not one that says you have to make the call 18 months out. I had a paralegal decide to re-enlist 2 weeks before her ETS.

brains
May 12, 2004

Triggs posted:

Ewww an Alpha model

says a guy who's never flown an alpha plus :colbert:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Defleshed posted:

It's probably easier now because I am an officer but I did this as an enlisted Marine as well. Putting my E-3 hat on for a minute, what I would do is just say you're "still trying to decide" anytime anyone asks about it. There's no law or rule that says you HAVE to re-enlist OR decline and certainly not one that says you have to make the call 18 months out. I had a paralegal decide to re-enlist 2 weeks before her ETS.

Are there even retention people for officers? What the gently caress could they possibly offer to make someone want to stay in past their service obligation if they were planning on getting out?

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

brains posted:

says a guy who's never flown an alpha plus :colbert:

Mike model superiority :smug:

Triggs fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 18, 2014

calmasahinducow
Oct 31, 2004
i am a pirate of the high seas

psydude posted:

Are there even retention people for officers? What the gently caress could they possibly offer to make someone want to stay in past their service obligation if they were planning on getting out?

VTIP is the obvious one.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah they even hosed that one up. I was awarded FA-53 4 months ago and nobody at branch or HRC seems to be able to figure out how to actually add it to my OMPF.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
How does getting out of the Army after your service obligation work as an officer anyway? All the officers I've known/met have been guys that stayed in for 20 or more years and retired.

I guess I'll know sometime in the next year or two on whether I want to stay in after my 3.5 years are up

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You separate and put in paperwork to resign your commission. It's described in one of the ARs, you have to write a letter.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

Mustang posted:

How does getting out of the Army after your service obligation work as an officer anyway? All the officers I've known/met have been guys that stayed in for 20 or more years and retired.

I guess I'll know sometime in the next year or two on whether I want to stay in after my 3.5 years are up

You put together a REFRAD (release/resignation from active duty) packet that includes some bullshit memos. I got my packet from another lt that resigned before me, just replaced his name with mine and signed them. Your BC/ bde cdr has to council you as part of the packet. Then you talk to your bde officer strength manager or whoever and send the packet up through them and play the waiting game. You'll get a memo from HRC or whoever saying that your REFRAD is accepted and then you wait on your official orders. Have fun doing ACAP or whatever the gently caress it's called. I got out earlier this year and purged all that poo poo from my brain. I might have the REFRAD packet in my gmail or wherever if you want it. Before I got out I sent a copy to all the lts in my BN because my BN sucked dick and now like 2-4 have submitted packets. Get hosed.

If you want it I might be able to shoot you one. Do it. I couldn't be happier. Get the gently caress out. Do it.

You submit the packet anywhere from 12 to 6 months from your requested ETS date.

Do it.

DO IT/.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum
It owns seeing the look in other lt/cpt's eyes when you tell them you only have x# months left in this shithole.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum
Also, no. Your commission isn't resigned until your MSO (8 years) is up. You just resign from active duty and then the Reserve/National guard will not stop loving calling and emailing you even after you tell them to gently caress off over and over.

$20,000 sign-on bonus!

Oh yeah, nobody knows poo poo about the process. You learn things from other REFRADDERS about the process. you need...

Register with ACAP and start that process

Schedule Phase I and II physicals

Talk to the reserve component career counselor and they have to sign a memo telling you "what the reserve can do for you!"
On that note, the reserve counselor tried to blow smoke up my rear end. Telling me "oh you can make $800/month just working 2 days a month!" I called him on that bullshit. Told him he knows drat well that you're expected to do bullshit work from home and whatnot and not to lie to me with that "2 days a month" bullshit. He just signed my poo poo and that was that.

There's some other poo poo I can't remember. Good luck.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Oh, that reminds me, did you know that you can refuse ACAP briefings? You can, and it's pretty easy!

Tell your ACAP counselor that you do not require any further ACAP services. They may say a lot of words and stuff but tell them that you decline further services from ACAP. They fill out some form that I sure as gently caress am not gonna dig out, but they mark down what you didn't complete, and you take it to your CO to sign. He may bust your nuts but ultimately there's not much he can do.

Bring that form back to ACAP when you are clearing, and lo and behold, you get your stamp and continue on your merry way.

ACAP is fine if you joined up when you were 17 and just got popped off your momma's tit, but if you are a grown rear end fuckin' man or woman then it is pretty much worthless.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

My unit botched my discharge and kicked me out of the IRR, and I don't have a reserve commission either. Not in my paperwork, and not anywhere that the army bothered to keep track of either. I only found this out when I asked a Civil Affairs career counselor to see if I could get into a local CA unit. I was going to have to submit a packet to a reappointment board that doesn't meet until next June. I cracked open a beer and celebrated freedom instead.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum
I signed into ACAP exactly one time out of the week or more that I was scheduled then spent the time at the gym or at home. Nobody gives a poo poo about officers on the brink of dipping out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone ever noticed how FGOs get super offended when you tell them you're getting out?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
All shithead lifers do that, they tried to gently caress me as hard as they could when I let my chain of command know I wasn't reenlisting.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

"It's about serving your country!" Yes, because the only way to do that is in the military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

psydude posted:

"It's about serving your country!" Yes, because the only way to do that is in the military.

I love that quote in the DoD, because they rage so hard when you tell them you're getting out to be a civilian working in the same place, doing the exact same job, for three times their salary. And they can't pull any "But the mission, but freedom!" poo poo because you still do the exact same thing in the exact same seat.

I especially like when they realize that this also implies that they made poor life decisions

• Locked thread