Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I had a 35 year old guy in my boot class. The most poo poo he got was the first day when they saw how old he was. He was then pretty much ignored from then out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

LingcodKilla posted:

On liberty from boot! Grad on the 9th! I got stuck in a coed state flags division. At 37 I'm the oldest by far (including all my RTCs) but in way better shape than the average teen boot. Been treated fairy well. Looking forward to Pensacola and going back home.

Congrats

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Lol welcome to hell.

I don't know how stupid cadences are at boot these days but IT a school has the stupidest loving songs about murdering viet cong or whatever like they ever leave their air conditioned spaces on the ship. Just be prepared for more boot camp style stupidity.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Lol welcome to hell.

I don't know how stupid cadences are at boot these days but IT a school has the stupidest loving songs about murdering viet cong or whatever like they ever leave their air conditioned spaces on the ship. Just be prepared for more boot camp style stupidity.

Way to kill my mellow.

Yeah I'm almost completely ignored by my RTCs except when want to make fun of me to other RTCs about having grandpa in the division. I actually got picked for the 900 state flags because in the words of the RTCs doing the selection "you have a lot of grey hair how old are you (37) good you will help keep the kids in line (the hell I will)".

It was snowing when I first got here but now it's been around 35 or so on average. Watchcap no scarf on most days.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah I remember the obligatory fresh from Africa 36 year old dude that got in with a waiver

Also had a 36 year old with waiver reservist which probably just needed the healthcare

Other than that lots of 30 something year olds and late 20s. I think compared to the other branches the Navy gets the oldest people. Well, that and Marine cut off is like 27?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I am so full of Christmas cheer (tequila, milagro select barrel reserve) my wife got me

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Christoff posted:

Yeah I remember the obligatory fresh from Africa 36 year old dude that got in with a waiver

We had a CTN candidate from Africa. Dude was loving awesome and had only the greatest stories and metaphors. He was literally thankful for every day he was in the air conditioned SCIF and not in fuckin' Kenya. Great attitude.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

On liberty from boot! Grad on the 9th! I got stuck in a coed state flags division. At 37 I'm the oldest by far (including all my RTCs) but in way better shape than the average teen boot. Been treated fairy well. Looking forward to Pensacola and going back home.

Congrats on surviving boot camp, you made it to the other side. Prepare for more boot camp stupidity until you complete A or C school and go back to normal life.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Oldest dude we had was a 38 year old cross-rater in A school. The 35 year old dude in boot camp turned out to be schizophrenic that held his poo poo together by writing ramblings in his book over the first 4 weeks of boot camp.

Congrats on making it through, the fun starts to happen now.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Congrats! List of things to do upon completing boot:

1. Buy nice car and fiance through on lot financing program. If they have a sign that says "your paycheck is your credit!" they are totally legit.
2. Marry stripper.
3. Failing to find stripper, marry uneducated teen/early 20s girl who has lived entire life within 5 miles of navy base. Impregnate as soon as possible.
4. Get ink. The more moto the better.
5. Purchase real estate in the city your detailer/recruiter promised to send you to. Whether or not you have orders, is irrelevant.
6. Send letter to your prospective CO explaining your glory. Preferably via power point. If you're at a loss for words, here's a good example. Not a boot grad, but you get the drift. The officer bar is a high one to meet.

http://cdrsalamander.blogspot.com/2012/02/sunday-funnies.html

Best of luck to you!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

E-1 to e-3 no problem !

I remember some dude I knew bought one of those laptops from a kiosks at the mall with a cute girl on allotments

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Enjoy getting hooked up with the good deals.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

If it's good enough for an O-9 to get approved, it's good enough for you!

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Someone is getting masted.

For making GBS threads in a urinalysis cup.

:magical:

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Analogical posted:

Someone is getting masted.

For making GBS threads in a urinalysis cup.

:magical:

When do you go up? Are they skipping DRB?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

poopkitty posted:

When do you go up? Are they skipping DRB?

Luckily I got passed through XOI

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ActusRhesus posted:

Congrats! List of things to do upon completing boot:

http://cdrsalamander.blogspot.com/2012/02/sunday-funnies.html

Best of luck to you!

My favorite part of that presentation was the spelling and grammatical errors on every slide. Being narcissistic enough to believe that a PowerPoint with fitreps and awards write ups would be something that is well received by your next command is bad enough. But not even bothering to use the spell check included in PowerPoint before you send it off is stupid on another level.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Hekk posted:

My favorite part of that presentation was the spelling and grammatical errors on every slide. Being narcissistic enough to believe that a PowerPoint with fitreps and awards write ups would be something that is well received by your next command is bad enough. But not even bothering to use the spell check included in PowerPoint before you send it off is stupid on another level.

I'd make a SWO joke, but that's demeaning even for them. Also because there are plenty of aviation idiot emails floating around the grapevine...

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Hekk posted:

I personally liked the last slide:

"Question"

Only one? But I have so many...

Also, pretty sure your gaining command does not care that you are "high fashion" and a SWO should know that wanting more "me time" will not be viewed favorably.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'd make a SWO joke, but that's demeaning even for them. Also because there are plenty of aviation idiot emails floating around the grapevine...

There are red flags throughout, though, that let you know that she hasn't done too hot as a SWO as well. Her department head tours were cut short and she got sent to be the birthday officer at her last command. Sure, she got a 5.0 transfer fitrep, but that fitrep doesn't actually mean anything. She was headed to her last command regardless.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hekk posted:

Every engineering major complains about having to take non-STEM courses like English but there are reasons.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Every engineering major complains about having to take non-STEM courses like English but there are reasons.

On the flip side, do not become known as the guy who writes well. I had one CO who has me proofread almost every email he sent anyone above his rank (O5).

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
The way she talks about herself in the 3rd person is freaky.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

vulturesrow posted:

On the flip side, do not become known as the guy who writes well. I had one CO who has me proofread almost every email he sent anyone above his rank (O5).

I think this is a noble problem only. I can't imagine the look on a lord's face when they realize a serf can write, let alone read good. :rolleyes:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

you will also be tasked to be the official JAGMAN Investigation officer for every command investigation until you die. Careful, serfs...Chiefs can be tapped as IOs.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

you will also be tasked to be the official JAGMAN Investigation officer for every command investigation until you die. Careful, serfs...Chiefs can be tapped as IOs.

I both write well and was a command legal officer so I get all the "special" CIs.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

vulturesrow posted:

I both write well and was a command legal officer so I get all the "special" CIs.

Ah, someone else who knows my pain.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

germskr posted:

I think this is a noble problem only. I can't imagine the look on a lord's face when they realize a serf can write, let alone read good. :rolleyes:

Oh please. If I could have found a single person in my division who could write a unit SITREP without constant assistance I'd have been over the moon.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Oh please. If I could have found a single person in my division who could write a unit SITREP without constant assistance I'd have been over the moon.

I had a Chief once who was good at writing FITREPs and I had to keep pinching myself to make sure I was awake.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I had a Skipper that was an English major, and he would correct the use of apostrophes on reports in the usual CO red ink like he was a schoolmarm.

And thanks for the kind words to everyone that wrote them, I appreciate it. I haven't had much time to address questions lately.

Halfway done with PCS leave! Chillin in San Diego for the next 8 days before the trip back. I shaved the gently caress out of my leave beard because it was annoying, scraggly and my wife despised it. Good riddance. Guess I'll try again in 6 years after I retire.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DustyNuts posted:

I had a Skipper that was an English major, and he would correct the use of apostrophes on reports in the usual CO red ink like he was a schoolmarm.

And thanks for the kind words to everyone that wrote them, I appreciate it. I haven't had much time to address questions lately.

Halfway done with PCS leave! Chillin in San Diego for the next 8 days before the trip back. I shaved the gently caress out of my leave beard because it was annoying, scraggly and my wife despised it. Good riddance. Guess I'll try again in 6 years after I retire.

I was an English major and I wanted to punch the skipper or admiral every time they edited one of my reports to include improper grammar and syntax.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

germskr posted:

Nope. I had a barely English speaking CMC (may she rot in Hell) who had me proofread and fix every eval and SOY/SOQ package and any correspondence that had to leave the ship from the mess.

ActusRhesus posted:

Can confirm. Just finished one here. And we have a freaking lawyer.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

poopkitty posted:

Nope. I had a barely English speaking CMC (may she rot in Hell) who had me proofread and fix every eval and SOY/SOQ package and any correspondence that had to leave the ship from the mess.

Can confirm. Just finished one here. And we have a freaking lawyer.

Usually the JAG is not the JAGMAN investigator, since they will have to advise on the results.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

DustyNuts posted:

I'll be in San Diego too. You should say hey, sailor :forkbomb:

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Other IDWers: Do you all board on just book 3? I just found out that most commands just board on book 3 and not every line item of each book. If that's the case, a lot is starting to make more sense.

Analogical fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 29, 2014

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Analogical posted:

Other IDWers: Do you all board on just book 3? I just found out that most commands just board on book 3 and not every line item of each book. If that's the case, a lot is starting to make more sense.

Nope, here we do every line of all 3 books, I've seen books get shredded for failing on the first book's sections.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
NOICMD just does book 3. The test is on books 1 and 2, and then book 3 is memorizing a bunch of poo poo that you write down on a white board.

Also just stood my last watch ever. As of January the people in holding will be manning all quarterdeck watches :dance:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

TFW you get selected for orders to CID Corry Station to be an instructor. :peanut:

I jumped up and started shouting gently caress YES when I opened the email, and everyone looked at me like I am insane.

(Pensacola is rather near my hometown, only a couple hours away, and instructor duty is cake)

So long Japan, I'm headed home :getin:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

orange juche posted:

TFW you get selected for orders to CID Corry Station to be an instructor. :peanut:

I jumped up and started shouting gently caress YES when I opened the email, and everyone looked at me like I am insane.

(Pensacola is rather near my hometown, only a couple hours away, and instructor duty is cake)

So long Japan, I'm headed home :getin:

I've never talked to a staff member at Corry that didn't hate their life. I just transferred out after my third time back. It's worse than ever mil side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

orange juche posted:

and instructor duty is cake

I'm not sure what navy you're in.

• Locked thread