Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Too bad there hasn't been more UEU discussion, eh? ;)

I guess. Here's my UEU story: I almost got destroyed by one when it tumbled off a pallet jack. Thing was surprisingly acrobatic.

e: curious, who do you know that knew me?

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Analogical posted:

What's that NECC program where they board ships and check everyone out? My old LPO did that for a year and never stopped acting hard because he had EXW

This is also one of our potential missions. The CORIVRONs have boarding teams in addition to boat and embark security teams.

MancXVI posted:

I thought "riverine" was a joke at first but then you assholes kept talking about it. Am I having a stroke?

IT IS VERY REAL AND HAPPENING TO SAILORS IN OUR NAVY RIGHT NOW.

MancXVI posted:

Know what a great feeling is?

Not knowing 90% of the acronyms on this page. I am so lost and it's wonderful.

NECC is navy expeditionary combat command
CORIVRON is coastal riverine squadron which is made up of MSRONs, maritime expeditionary security squadrons, and RIVRONs, riverine squadrons. Previous names within the past fifteen years have included MIUW, mobile inshore undersea warfare, which is a combination of three different commands: NCWRON, navy coastal warfare squadron, IBU, inshore boat unit, and C2, which is just a generic stand alone command and control command that was intended to follow missions out and provide communications and sensors regardless of what boat stuff they were supporting.

Basically the community had a series of distinct missions in a group of distinct squadrons with some that had very similar training and equipment, but the navy saw the similarities instead of the differences and smashed them together into a Frankenmission that is an abomination unto ROC & POE. I'll say that very realistically we could accomplish any mission from our big list well, but there is very little preplanning done besides "Get qualifications, and then ?????." Every set of mission circumstances requires a completely different plan, pretty much.

Because of budgeting we can't afford schools, and because of manning we almost can't afford to send people to schools. Almost everything we teach/learn is done from people with prior knowledge of the stuff instead of actual schooling. I have been to two schools, one of which is on obsolete equipment and the other is 2M so I can't actually do anything legally with it. I get almost zero in rate knowledge and instead have a huge list of things (most of which are completely outside of my rate) that I can fix/maintain/watch stand for.

germskr posted:

Are you east coast or west coast? Lastly, are you a noble? Because I wish more nobles had this epiphany.

I'm West coast, and just enlisted. All of our tribal knowledge officers fully realize the situation and just do their best to do a good job.

West coast is good at barely passing inspections and mostly ignoring instruction and just doing whatever the gently caress by the seat of our pants. East coast is good at gundecking really well while having everything right by the books but all wrong by intent of the books. This is my understanding of the west and east split of CORIVRONs.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 31, 2014

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

MancXVI posted:

I guess. Here's my UEU story: I almost got destroyed by one when it tumbled off a pallet jack. Thing was surprisingly acrobatic.

e: curious, who do you know that knew me?

No one. I do keep in touch with several of my former ATs who you may or may not know. I just remember you posting about being an I-level maintainer and on UEU specifically.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
His GiPnavy.txt document has over 1,000 line items, improving internet stalking efficiency by over 150%. Vulturesrow's professionalism, unrelenting perseverance, and loyal devotion to duty reflected great credit upon himself and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the united states naval service.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Commoners posted:

His GiPnavy.txt document has over 1,000 line items, improving internet stalking efficiency by over 150%. Vulturesrow's professionalism, unrelenting perseverance, and loyal devotion to duty reflected great credit upon himself and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the united states naval service.

Post a trigger warning next time.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Commoners posted:

congratulations on a job, well, done.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

orange juche posted:

congratulations on a job, well, done.

:yikes:

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

No one. I do keep in touch with several of my former ATs who you may or may not know. I just remember you posting about being an I-level maintainer and on UEU specifically.

Ah, word. Tell them all I said hi.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Found out my POS supervisor "forgot" to send a unit coin to an E4 we had to haul into work while he was on leave, who didn't even know who we were or why we were calling him, to come to work for five hours half the world away. My boss practically threatened the guy over the phone to come in, and we didn't even end up needing him but I couldn't tell him that or release him so I kept giving him seemingly important tasks to do so he didn't feel like he wasted his life any more than he did. I figured the least we could do was send this kid a coin, but NAH. gently caress it I'm just going to go to the gift shop and buy one there and ship it to him.

This guy wanted me to tell a whole remote team of people they had to stay an extra four hours today on new years because he thought we might need them. I surveyed the situation and sent them home immediately after he told me that which is good because we ended up not needing them either.

Ex-noble civ need to learn how to lead before he burns all the bridges my team has access to before we're just as useless as he is.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Analogical posted:

Found out my POS supervisor "forgot" to send a unit coin to an E4 we had to haul into work while he was on leave, who didn't even know who we were or why we were calling him, to come to work for five hours half the world away. My boss practically threatened the guy over the phone to come in, and we didn't even end up needing him but I couldn't tell him that or release him so I kept giving him seemingly important tasks to do so he didn't feel like he wasted his life any more than he did. I figured the least we could do was send this kid a coin, but NAH. gently caress it I'm just going to go to the gift shop and buy one there and ship it to him.

This guy wanted me to tell a whole remote team of people they had to stay an extra four hours today on new years because he thought we might need them. I surveyed the situation and sent them home immediately after he told me that which is good because we ended up not needing them either.

Ex-noble civ need to learn how to lead before he burns all the bridges my team has access to before we're just as useless as he is.

loving ouch. Sorry man :(

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
come in on leave? :bahgawd:

Arione fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 1, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Arione posted:

come in one leave? :bahgawd:

Who the gently caress answers the phone from anyone at the command while on leave?

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Stultus Maximus posted:

Who the gently caress answers the phone from anyone at the command while on leave?

clearly a retard, I'd just laugh even if I did answer

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Stultus Maximus posted:

That's such a JV move I don't even know wtf.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
Serious question, Is dating a coastie noble considered fraternization? I heard they weren't dod and like DoT or some poo poo so its not really

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arione posted:

Serious question, Is dating a coastie noble considered fraternization? I heard they weren't dod and like DoT or some poo poo so its not really

When in doubt it's probably frat.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Isn't frat pretty much "whatever your command considers frat"

It was drilled into our heads and the whole one up one down in regards to dating different ranks like it was a real regulation then you get to the "fleet" and no one gives a gently caress unless they work together

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Christoff posted:

Isn't frat pretty much "whatever your command considers frat"

It was drilled into our heads and the whole one up one down in regards to dating different ranks like it was a real regulation then you get to the "fleet" and no one gives a gently caress unless they work together

Stupidest poo poo in Boot camp was that portion of the UCMJ. It's all there in the fuckin' book. I was in a Co-ed division. So the dude comes and says the schpiel. Word for word in the articles. The guys are all like, "alright. Don't gently caress anyone in the Navy." Class goes on for 45 more fuckin' minutes, question after question from the chicks in all these loving hypothetical situations.

What the gently caress. Don't gently caress anyone else in the Navy. Stop it. You're not here to get pregnant and married to other Sai---gently caress it. gently caress everything.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vriess posted:

Stupidest poo poo in Boot camp was that portion of the UCMJ. It's all there in the fuckin' book. I was in a Co-ed division. So the dude comes and says the schpiel. Word for word in the articles. The guys are all like, "alright. Don't gently caress anyone in the Navy." Class goes on for 45 more fuckin' minutes, question after question from the chicks in all these loving hypothetical situations.

What the gently caress. Don't gently caress anyone else in the Navy. Stop it. You're not here to get pregnant and married to other Sai---gently caress it. gently caress everything.

If it wears rank it is probably not safe to bang imo.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

orange juche posted:

If it wears rank it is probably not safe to bang imo.

For a number of reasons beyond concerns about frat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
this thread is so last year

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691933

ded fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 2, 2015

• Locked thread