Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Laranzu posted:

I've never talked to a staff member at Corry that didn't hate their life. I just transferred out after my third time back. It's worse than ever mil side.

For our rate the mil "instructors" are more admin folks than anything. They only do the 2 day intro and then herd cats the rest of the time and they're understaffed. But people seem to make chief like crazy here so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Fart Sandwiches posted:

For our rate the mil "instructors" are more admin folks than anything. They only do the 2 day intro and then herd cats the rest of the time and they're understaffed. But people seem to make chief like crazy here so there's that.

march boots 1/2 mile, read powerpoints for 8 hours, march boots 1/2 mile" sounds hard as gently caress

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arione posted:

march boots 1/2 mile, read powerpoints for 8 hours, march boots 1/2 mile" sounds hard as gently caress

Better than being in a literal 2 man N6 department supporting 100+ nobles.

E: Also, being close enough to home to be able to drive home on the weekend if I feel like it is not a bad thing.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

orange juche posted:

Better than being in a literal 2 man N6 department supporting 100+ nobles.

E: Also, being close enough to home to be able to drive home on the weekend if I feel like it is not a bad thing.

i'd do dirty poo poo to get CID Pensacola orders, got told I cant guard 2000 to florida at all for spouse colo's. options are slim

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arione posted:

i'd do dirty poo poo to get CID Pensacola orders, got told I cant guard 2000 to florida at all for spouse colo's. options are slim

Fingers crossed, then. I got them most likely because I am coming back from an overseas flag duty billet in Japan. If you're an IT though you never have to go to sea duty if you don't feel like it, they're subject to the same duty rotation as LNs. (CONUS/OCONUS), just remember to get your IDW pin, or else you will get shoved into a poo poo duty that you really didn't want. lol all navy duties are poo poo duty, who am I kidding.

E: Got my welcome aboard letter, what the gently caress is an "Information Warrior"? Is that like some twist on the sarcastic Sea Warrior poo poo?

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 30, 2014

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

orange juche posted:

Fingers crossed, then. I got them most likely because I am coming back from an overseas flag duty billet in Japan. If you're an IT though you never have to go to sea duty if you don't feel like it, they're subject to the same duty rotation as LNs. (CONUS/OCONUS), just remember to get your IDW pin, or else you will get shoved into a poo poo duty that you really didn't want. lol all navy duties are poo poo duty, who am I kidding.

E: Got my welcome aboard letter, what the gently caress is an "Information Warrior"? Is that like some twist on the sarcastic Sea Warrior poo poo?

cant wait to call people that at work tomorrow. I've had that pin since drat near the time i reported. If i hear one more time how "every sailor needs an ESWS pin" im going to make it my life goal to do 20 years and never get that poo poo ever

Arione fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 30, 2014

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Uh, I believe MCPON specifically stated that all CTs were War Fighters. :allears:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
We call ourselves cyber warriors. Or Cyborriors for short.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Sir Lucius posted:

Or Cyborriors for short.

like a mentally challenged cylon.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Speaking of warriors, how about those silly placards in the galley with the GREEN, YELLOW, and RED foods that fuel the sea warrior? The fact that we probably paid some civilian company to come up with that is sickening laughable.

Arione posted:

cant wait to call people that at work tomorrow. I've had that pin since drat near the time i reported. If i hear one more time how "every sailor needs an ESWS pin" im going to make it my life goal to do 20 years and never get that poo poo ever

Chest candy is the sign of a squared away, knowledgeable sailor. :allears:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

germskr posted:

Chest candy is the sign of a squared away, knowledgeable sailor. :allears:

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Our commodore has put out a message saying that we are all called riverines instead of sailors or sea warriors.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
My condolences that you are at a MSRON CORIVRON command. It's sad because MSRON was fine as it was and fulfilled a specific role, but ever since the merger with the Riverine units, CRGs and the RONs have convinced themselves that a 5 week basic course with a 7 or 5 week follow-on at Camp Lejeune and the Type III cammies makes them "operators" when 99% are anything but that.

They also stole the SWCC creed.

SWCC posted:

SWCC CREED

In our nation's time of need, an elite brotherhood of Sailors stands ready off distant shores and on shallow rivers. Defending freedom, they serve with honor and distinction. I am proud to be one of these Sailors.

I am a Special Warfare Combatant-craft Crewman: a quiet professional; tried, tested and dedicated to achieving excellence in maritime special operations. I am a disciplined, confident and highly motivated warrior.

My honor and integrity are beyond reproach, my commitment unquestioned and my word trusted. The American people depend on me to carry out my mission in a professional manner.

I maintain my craft, equipment and myself at the highest level of combat readiness. I set the standard and lead by example. I am responsible for my actions and accountable to my teammates. I challenge my brothers to perform, as I expect them to challenge me.

I am ready for war. I will close and engage the enemy with the full combat power of my craft. My actions will be decisive yet measured. I will always complete the mission. I will never quit and I will leave no one behind.

My heritage comes from the Sailors who operated the PT boats of World War II and the combatant craft of Vietnam. The legacy of these warriors guides my actions. I will always remember the courage, perseverance and sacrifices made to guarantee our nation's freedom. I uphold the honor of those who have fought before me and will do nothing to disgrace my proud heritage.

On Time, On Target, Never Quit!

RIVRON creed posted:

In our nation’s time of need, there are Sailors that stand ready… honor bound… to defend freedom. They serve on shallow waters and rivers, around the world, with honor and distinction. I am proud to be one of these Sailors… a Riverine Sailor.

I am a quiet professional; tried, tested and dedicated to achieving excellence in Riverine warfare operations. I am a disciplined, confident and highly motivated warrior.

My honor and integrity are above reproach; my commitment to duty unquestioned and my word trusted. The American people depend on me to execute my mission in a precise and professional, military manner.

I maintain my craft, equipment and myself at the highest possible levels of combat readiness. I set the standard and lead by personal example. I am responsible for my actions and accountable to my shipmates, superiors and the American people.

I am ready for war, but hope for peace. In the event of conflict, I will close and engage the enemy with the full combat power at my disposal. My actions will be decisive, yet measured. I will always complete my mission and do my duty leaving no shipmate behind, dead or alive.

My heritage was born during the revolution that made ours a free nation. The legacy and courage of those warriors who went in harms way before me guides my actions. I shall never forget the selflessness, perseverance and sacrifices made to secure our nations freedom. I will always uphold and maintain the honor of those who fought before me and staunchly protect our proud history.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
All creeds are dumb and stupid, much like every facet of the Navy.

Carry on.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

PneumonicBook posted:

All creeds are dumb and stupid, much like every facet of the Navy.

Carry on.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I still have yet to meet a Riverine nor do I know what the gently caress they do or where they are. Virginia I guess? I just know they're always talked about like SEALs or some poo poo and some urban legend. "i knew a guy who had a brother who was a Riverine." At first I thought they were Marine boat operators or some poo poo. Is there a Riverine rate? So confused.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Riverine is cool, and I unironically wish I had done it during my DIVO time when I had the chance. Back before they combined with the MSRONs and started to suck. Back when it was like the wild west on the water.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Christoff posted:

I still have yet to meet a Riverine nor do I know what the gently caress they do or where they are. Virginia I guess? I just know they're always talked about like SEALs or some poo poo and some urban legend. "i knew a guy who had a brother who was a Riverine." At first I thought they were Marine boat operators or some poo poo. Is there a Riverine rate? So confused.

No Riverine rate, they pull anybody from the fleet (and I do mean anybody). It's funny to watch a bunch of BMs, ENs and QMs who go from little-to-no experience with weapons get their asses handed to them on something as simple as the weapon's condition code for the 240. But I know all of you goons here are proficient with it so not to insult the rest of you that are haze grey and underway.

ManMyth: If anything, the merger negatively impacted the MSRON side of the house having to train on even more pointless bullet points added to the ROC/POE that are either unsustainable or unrealistic (and believe me, MSRON already had a lot of that). When they dismantled RIVRON, they sent most of the senior guys away (none of those senior folks didn't even have the combat experience from Iraq anyway as those guys PCSd or got out already) and sent the greenest of the bunch to relearn how to be some kind of hybrid offensive/defensive littoral-inland-fighting warrior that is the jack of all trades, master of none since they require training on 34ft Sea Arks along with RCB, RAB, RPB, and RCC.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

germskr posted:

ManMyth: If anything, the merger negatively impacted the MSRON side of the house having to train on even more pointless bullet points added to the ROC/POE that are either unsustainable or unrealistic (and believe me, MSRON already had a lot of that). When they dismantled RIVRON, they sent most of the senior guys away (none of those senior folks didn't even have the combat experience from Iraq anyway as those guys PCSd or got out already) and sent the greenest of the bunch to relearn how to be some kind of hybrid offensive/defensive littoral-inland-fighting warrior that is the jack of all trades, master of none since they require training on 34ft Sea Arks along with RCB, RAB, RPB, and RCC.

My friends in the community said the opposite. According to them the merger put the RIVRONS under traditional ATFP minded people who promptly threw out all of the operational knowledge gained in Iraq, and curtailed the sort of "get it done" attitude that had been instilled there because it wasn't IAW whatever stupid FP instruction they had written. They are also much more risk averse and tended to treat the RCBs like suped up security boats rather then offensive asserts that can go outside the wire as it were.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

ManMythLegend posted:

My friends in the community said the opposite. According to them the merger put the RIVRONS under traditional ATFP minded people who promptly threw out all of the operational knowledge gained in Iraq, and curtailed the sort of "get it done" attitude that had been instilled there because it wasn't IAW whatever stupid FP instruction they had written. They are also much more risk averse and tended to treat the RCBs like suped up security boats rather then offensive asserts that can go outside the wire as it were.

In many respects they are two completely opposite in terms of their mission. So thinking they could be combined was pretty drat asinine.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

In many respects they are two completely opposite in terms of their mission. So thinking they could be combined was pretty drat asinine.

I agree with this 100%.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

vulturesrow posted:

This.

ManMythLegend posted:

I would ask why was it RIVRON that got absorbed by MSRON rather than the other way around? I'll agree about MSRON on the risk aversion compared to say NSW or a select few NECC commands (EOD), but a lot of the boats RIVRON brought after the merger can't even be used effectively because they can't operate in anything more than level 0-1 sea state. Since we no longer "occupy" or have major combat operations in any country, there is no need for a brown water Navy, but we sure like to patrol the hell out of coastline.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I believe the answer is that at the highest levels, NECC is a giant directionless ball of gently caress.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

NECC is a giant directionless ball of gently caress.

qtiyd

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

I believe the answer is that at the highest levels, NECC is a giant directionless ball of gently caress.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

They built a pullup bar at one building I worked at one time. That was cool.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

germskr posted:

Since we no longer "occupy" or have major combat operations in any country, there is no need for a brown water Navy, but we sure like to patrol the hell out of coastline.

Lack of a current need is not necessarily a good reason to divest of a capability. A brown water capability can be invaluable in a number of theaters that the US is interested in, especially given the pivot to the Pacific.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Hence why we still have SWCC, and even as a part of NSW they can't find work to do so now they're going from being water taxis to literal taxis that drive SEALs around on land. Yes, commodores of CRG and COs of RON all say "well you never know, we may get tapped to go to N. Korea or Southeast Asia, or maybe South America," but the reality is that whatever joint command center they have in that area would pick SWCC over the Riverines any day of the week. Which is why this coastal bullshit still does MSRON specific and NSF missions. If I had a suggestion to Dept of Navy, I'd say give the money wasted on CORIVRON to SWCC's already massive budget.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ok so what have Riverines done and what do they do

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

germskr posted:

Hence why we still have SWCC, and even as a part of NSW they can't find work to do so now they're going from being water taxis to literal taxis that drive SEALs around on land. Yes, commodores of CRG and COs of RON all say "well you never know, we may get tapped to go to N. Korea or Southeast Asia, or maybe South America," but the reality is that whatever joint command center they have in that area would pick SWCC over the Riverines any day of the week. Which is why this coastal bullshit still does MSRON specific and NSF missions. If I had a suggestion to Dept of Navy, I'd say give the money wasted on CORIVRON to SWCC's already massive budget.

While there is certainly a lot of overlap between RIVRON and SWCC I contend that they still handle two different mission sets.

That said, separating RIVRON from MSRON and rolling them up with and expanding the role of SWCC is a good idea.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
There really isn't a clear mission besides, "We do small boat stuff???" and even then that isn't accurate because half of the community isn't small boat qualified and instead is embark security guys. The community relies entirely on tribal knowledge in order to do the absurd variety of missions that it has been given, some of which are completely conflicting in nature.

The whole YOU ARE ALL RIVERINES thing has been a really big joke to me, and even the people who drink the koolaid in that regard at my command basically had a period where they beat their heads against the pavement while repeating it to themselves to try to get enough brain damage to make it make sense.

Some of our tribal knowledge long timers have been in six different commands with six different organizations and six different missions but the same group of people (CRS, MSRON, MIUW, C2 for the communications and sensors, NCWRON, and IBU.) They're constantly adjusting the amount of (INSERT NAME HERE) Squadrons, adjusting whether they're reserve or active, adjusting how many people they have, etc. without letting the changes settle. The active duty squadrons are properly manned but don't do poo poo and have don't know what the gently caress they are doing because they have lost their tribal knowledge, and the reserve squadrons don't have manning or money.

We're also starting to take over a bunch of the harbor security missions from the coasties, which is another series of mission sets using different boats to add to the litany of stuff that we are also expected to know.

germskr posted:

I would ask why was it RIVRON that got absorbed by MSRON rather than the other way around? I'll agree about MSRON on the risk aversion compared to say NSW or a select few NECC commands (EOD), but a lot of the boats RIVRON brought after the merger can't even be used effectively because they can't operate in anything more than level 0-1 sea state. Since we no longer "occupy" or have major combat operations in any country, there is no need for a brown water Navy, but we sure like to patrol the hell out of coastline.

The big reason that they rolled the riverines into the maritime security is because they so severely cut funding to the riverine guys to the point where they were only able to support enough people to make a couple of boat companies. They basically attached them so that they could use the administrative/maintenance infrastructure of the MSRONs while still doing their own distinct mission on a company level. The name change was made because the riverines started crying that they didn't want to lose their name :qq: and the MSRONs were like "NOW WE ARE ALSO RIVERINE, BROTHERS" :madmax:

Basically riverines are absurdly expensive in training and equipment, and by cutting out the desk jockeys like and attaching them to the MSRON desk jockeys they saved themselves money because the desk jockeys don't need that training. Now they only have to train a boat company.

ManMythLegend posted:

While there is certainly a lot of overlap between RIVRON and SWCC I contend that they still handle two different mission sets.

That said, separating RIVRON from MSRON and rolling them up with and expanding the role of SWCC is a good idea.

SWCC dudes would probably go insane doing the security mission because your job is literally to sit there and look intimidating and maybe shoot people if they aren't properly intimidated, while they signed up to shoot brown people with miniguns and grenade launchers and jump out of helicopters.

Christoff posted:

Ok so what have Riverines done and what do they do

SWCC does this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjlDRTemjzQ

Riverine does this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbFvAaO9j8M

MSRON does this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3vizdYUJjU

Stultus Maximus posted:

Stultus Maximus posted:

Stultus Maximus posted:

Basically we are a fundamentally disorganized mob of sailors that climb into boats, and they throw us random missions that require completely different skill sets and we get to figure out how to do them. They want brown water capabilities without having to pay for an offensive brown water unit, so they just attached that offensive mission skill set to the defensive guys that they're already paying for.

With all that being said, I still think that the overseas waterborne security/surveillance mission is an important one and we do it well.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 31, 2014

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
MSRON looks like the place to be.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

This scene makes me as hard as a diamond in an ice storm everytime I see it.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
What's that NECC program where they board ships and check everyone out? My old LPO did that for a year and never stopped acting hard because he had EXW

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I thought "riverine" was a joke at first but then you assholes kept talking about it. Am I having a stroke?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Analogical posted:

What's that NECC program where they board ships and check everyone out? My old LPO did that for a year and never stopped acting hard because he had EXW

VBSS? That's not an NECC thing.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

VBSS? That's not an NECC thing.

Know what a great feeling is?

Not knowing 90% of the acronyms on this page. I am so lost and it's wonderful.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

MancXVI posted:

Know what a great feeling is?

Not knowing 90% of the acronyms on this page. I am so lost and it's wonderful.

Too bad there hasn't been more UEU discussion, eh? ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Commoners posted:

Good poo poo

Are you east coast or west coast? Lastly, are you a noble? Because I wish more nobles had this epiphany.

• Locked thread