Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

To my surprise I actually look pretty ok once my beard fills in

Lots of red in there. European I guess or Milkman was Irish? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Probably missing the point completely here and it's a different type of card but when I had a government travel card I used it once then realized I had to pay off that card with my own card and it was easy to forget.

What's the point? I mean I guess if you live paycheck to paycheck

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

According to the GIP history books an admiral couldn't grow one and was beard shamed

It's lame and the argument is dumb as well. They still have no shave chits on ships so that's cool and I assume subs are permanent no shave underway.

They bitch so much about water conservation I don't know why shaving is a thing underway ever

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah that dude rules and gets mentioned every now and again in here (and rightfully so)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

SPACE HOMOS posted:

He claims that SNCOs were always out to gently caress you over and the navy didn't care about sailors.

but yeah a lot of senior enlisted were pretty lovely and would definitely throw you under the bus.

:confused:

I see not much has changed

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yo do they not get in trouble for making those videos?

Does anyone give a poo poo about the football teams outside of the academy peeps? Like, I don't think I ever even heard a game mentioned. I think one of the Marine LTs I worked with was a linebacker (big dude) but yeah.

Wish Navy boxing was actually a thing tho (outside of the academy)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I think I saw one guy try to take classes at my last command.

Yeah he dropped all of them.

Ok easy shore duty though yeah definitely

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yo can we move on and talk about other poo poo. Like I know I complained a lot etc etc and I'm surprised moker hasn't brought up the mini-medals shore duty debacle but

Whatever gently caress you guys copy/pasting my post from the dogges thread because I'm on mobile and can't seek out tits or butts

incoming gif overload

hahaha

repost but meh

:(

YES

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I would have volunteered for impatient if I had enough time left.

Had a Marine buddy go to Point Loma voluntarily for 33 days for alcohol and said it was the biggest waste of money. Guess there was a bunch of HMs working there who just didn't give a gently caress and were dicks for no reason (what's new) he said it costs the Navy $30k or some poo poo? I mean yeah it's not for everyone but he said it didn't help him at all. I think he still quit of his own accord but idk

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

AA is a great program and works for a ton of people but there's nothing worse than a bunch of people who don't want to be there

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Huh? No I mean people who are forced to go. Like court ordered etc. It doesn't sound like you were going voluntarily. Wasn't trying to diss

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Haha I've seen so many 10ish year e-5s and a lot get HYT at the 12 year mark

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

It's too bad there's hardly any Army IAs going on these days. Do one of those and you come back with 3 rows

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Seen it a lot too

Plus having a kid is guaranteed no deployment, no heavy lifting, nothing labor intensive, that 40 days of baby leave, and you pretty much don't even go to work or anything besides medical appointments the last 2-3 months.

We'd get a flood of those patients every morning. Whether they were pregnant or had a newborn/kid that had the sniffles, rash, etc and can't go to daycare and Welp someone has to stay home with it!

"So...I get an SIQ chit because my kid is sick right?"

I know the 1-2 females in this sub are going to talk about how they worked and lifted poo poo the whole 9 months of their pregnancy and never missed work

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

^ yeah pretty much

Sorry guys gotta drive my wife to her appointment for fibromyalgia to get her narcs refilled. Yeah we only have one car because I have a 2014 V6 mustang fully loaded and we can't afford two! yeah the appointment is out in town and yeah it's probably going to take all day sorry have fun at work!

Skating is one thing but between wife, kids, malingering, housing bs, wife's medical issues, etc, some people can straight up miss a week of work

Those are somehow always the ones going to every command function/event, getting bruised knees, and doing bake sales

The senior enlisted are sympathetic because they all have 4 kids and a bitchy fat wife with medical issues. Meanwhile the e-3/e-4 scrubs have to pick up the work to go home to a shared barracks room and are getting yelled at because they have twice the work and can't keep up and are always in sight of the higher ups and they gotta bitch at someone then they miss out on all that extra pay while being treated like a plebeian because they decided to not get married or have kids

Then you ask to run a personal errand or even going to the PX and Jesus Christ it's like you're asking for some huge personal favor

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 14, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

It seems like getting married is a requirement before commissioning though. I can count on one hand the amount of bachelor officers I worked with

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Try this thread but I'm sure someone here can chime in

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671019&perpage=40&pagenumber=4

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 15, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Unfortunately some people find out about all the benefits and dat extra pay in boot camp and do it right before they ship

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

poopkitty posted:

This would be so much more valuable than that stupid Compass class where they teach dependas how to read your LES and cheat the benefits system. It's too easy to get married in San Diego, kids just drive to Vegas.

This idea is stolen from someone else but you know they could just provide incentives to stay single. Like give everyone BAH, or at least pay you extra money to live in the barracks. Make the barracks more like apartments (San Diego already does this right?) with more privacy and no loving shared rooms. Stop waking people
up at 5 am for field day inspections and to police call. Give everyone COMRATS/BAS and family sep pay on deployment. Like, because I'm not married I don't have family?

If I got married at my last command it would have been a 110% pay raise. I saw so many contract marriages and rushed ones that failed as she took all his poo poo on deployment it's ridiculous

Angry Fish posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/16/world/asia/murder-charge-is-recommended-for-us-marine-in-death-of-transgender-filipino.html?_r=0

Marine asshat murders a transgendered Filipino because he was surprised with penis. He broke this woman's neck.

Yeah this happened in October. When I was there a sailor broke a window and caused a ruckus in a business, wrestled a cop, ran away from the cops, (think he was handcuffed or in the car) and fought his friends who were trying to contain him. JAG left ship with a big bag of money and he got flown off soon after and NJP'd and kicked out

Angry Fish posted:

You can always just move down there when you retire and join the expat community living permanently on the shore with their Landshark six-packs and protruding ventral fat deposits.

I remember seeing the creepiest fat old white dudes (presumably retired Navy) with a group of young chicks in a lot of different bars. Some other retired Navy dudes had a quick chat with us and then gave us some Jehovas Witness pamphlets or Mormon I don't remember

Wasn't there talk of making a base again in Subic or the Phillipines? Let's face it like any other place we're at they hate us now but once we completely pack up and go they instantly miss all that money and employment

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sounds like a fun tour do I get all that extra pay too and 1 year rotations?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

When I was there I want to say there was already Navy contractors/military folk getting things together for that.

Also Marines infantry units are already cycling forward deployments to Darwin, Australia, as sort of a trial and try to make good with them before they move a mob of dudes over

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

"Can I go to Spain or Italy?"

"No too expensive of a PCS because of the distance"

*detailer sends dude with wife and 3 kids*

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Unless you want to live and retire in Lemoore. You can spend your whole career there no problem! (Seriously I don't think I've ever seen such a large vet community)

I never understood the mandatory geographic rotations. I get shore/sea duty but most times you can do both in the same-ish area

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

When Dusty gets out/retires he should sell his services as a consultant or something to act as a PS for Navy folk that's actually worth a drat. Help people route paperwork and chits etc.

Seriously I would have paid good money for the right answer on crap without getting dicked around by the PS's and Chiefs all speculating poo poo. And trying to navigate Google and all those NAVADMINs etc

-edit just tell me how to cheat the system and make siblings dependents to cash in on BAH like the dude I knew who had his two younger sisters as dependents because he was an e-3 and got all that BAH money and family sep pay. I've seen a lot of parents as dependents (Filipinos lol) but only saw that once

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 21, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

When I PCS'd a while ago I remember the lady was threatening me "don't go throw concrete in there! They know to check for that and you can get court martialed!"

I think I had to sign something saying I wouldn't too.

But I remember people still talking about it and doing it up until very recently so hey!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I did a HHG move because I was told it meant "they have to give you BAH"

:saddowns:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Still haven't figured out what stress cards are but everyone sure has heard of them! "Yeah they started using them in _____"
Which is usually couple years after they went to boot camp

Hell in boot camp everyone was talking about how the AF like totally has them. And they can have phones

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I remember the obligatory fresh from Africa 36 year old dude that got in with a waiver

Also had a 36 year old with waiver reservist which probably just needed the healthcare

Other than that lots of 30 something year olds and late 20s. I think compared to the other branches the Navy gets the oldest people. Well, that and Marine cut off is like 27?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

E-1 to e-3 no problem !

I remember some dude I knew bought one of those laptops from a kiosks at the mall with a cute girl on allotments

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I still have yet to meet a Riverine nor do I know what the gently caress they do or where they are. Virginia I guess? I just know they're always talked about like SEALs or some poo poo and some urban legend. "i knew a guy who had a brother who was a Riverine." At first I thought they were Marine boat operators or some poo poo. Is there a Riverine rate? So confused.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ok so what have Riverines done and what do they do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Isn't frat pretty much "whatever your command considers frat"

It was drilled into our heads and the whole one up one down in regards to dating different ranks like it was a real regulation then you get to the "fleet" and no one gives a gently caress unless they work together

• Locked thread