Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Ugh. Aside from apparently being bad for the lower and midcard fighters I hate anything that robs competitors of their indiviudality in a sport that should focus and capitalize on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

CommonShore posted:

I wonder if the best career path for a young prospect now is to avoid going to the UFC and instead go to college and get a real job

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

CommonShore posted:

I wonder if the best career path for a young prospect now is to avoid going to the UFC and instead do what Askren, Alvarez, Melendez, McGregor, and Rousey have done - fight in smaller organizations until the hype train is screaming, journalists at post-fight pressers are asking questions about you, and you're getting in twitter wars with top-ten fighters before having been signed. Only then sign a UFC contract as an established fighter with some of your own drawing power.

On a related note, Bellator recently signed an 18-year-old wrestler to a long-term deal even though the guy says he isn't even going to be thinking about MMA until after the 2016 Summer Olympics at the earliest.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Askren . . . drawing power.

Come again? Are you referring to Askren's drawing power of putting stink lines on pictures of Dana?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
it always gets me how peopple argue about fighter pay like its a real job and they deserve money

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Thauros posted:

Ugh. Aside from apparently being bad for the lower and midcard fighters I hate anything that robs competitors of their indiviudality in a sport that should focus and capitalize on that.

I'm so glad we are all experts on things that may or may not exist and we have no details about except a small blurb from mmasucka.com

also

Bundt Cake posted:

it always gets me how peopple argue about fighter pay like its a real job and they deserve money

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Agreed, it's unfortunate to undercut the vibrant personalities of fighters, such as: the one guy with a shaved head who is a warrior and promises to deliver a finish, or that guy with the tattoo of his name on his back who is a warrior and promises to deliver a finish, or the other guy who has the tribal tattoo and wrestled and is a warrior and guarantees that by either submission or knock out he'll get a finish

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Dethrone Royalty
‏@dethrone
Heard uniform announcement coming tomorrow. We were never about all looking the same. We'll stay that way, thanks. #goodluckreebok

Jimi Devine ‏@JimiDevine 2h2 hours ago
@dethrone that include walkout gear?

Dethrone Royalty ‏@dethrone 2h2 hours ago
@JimiDevine I think that's all it includes

Reebok, lol

mewse
May 2, 2006

CommonShore posted:

I wonder if the best career path for a young prospect now is to avoid going to the UFC and instead do what Askren, Alvarez, Melendez, McGregor, and Rousey have done - fight in smaller organizations until the hype train is screaming, journalists at post-fight pressers are asking questions about you, and you're getting in twitter wars with top-ten fighters before having been signed. Only then sign a UFC contract as an established fighter with some of your own drawing power.

It hasn't worked out for Askren though, right?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Bundt Cake posted:

agreed

Anyway this is mostly a b-league thought but it occurred to me today that Tito Ortiz will be the first inductee into the Bellator Hall of Fame.

And depending how the UFC uniforms look I may purchase an Anderson Silva throwback jersey. Cage of the Rage outfit.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Bellator Hall of Fame.

what in the world

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

mewse posted:

Askren is getting paid a lot more than your average UFC fighter to crush cans in One FC iirc. Someone else can find the details, but I heard he was getting paid quite well.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Seltzer posted:

Askren is getting paid a lot more than your average UFC fighter to crush cans in One FC iirc. Someone else can find the details, but I heard he was getting paid quite well.

If he's making more than UFC salary then more power to him

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

budreck posted:

I like watching fights with real people. Most of my friends don't care much for MMA these days so its a lot harder to convince anyone to split the PPV cost.

Pretty much this. Friends will only ever chip in for Weidman fights or Ronda fights. And Ronda fights are always filled with commentary like "I'd let her beat my rear end....naked! har har har!"

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

mewse posted:

If he's making more than UFC salary then more power to him

He goes into it here. It sounds like a pretty great deal, actually

http://mmajunkie.com/2013/12/ben-askren-on-six-figure-one-fc-fights-bald-headed-fat-man-ufc-future-baroni-more

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I will not rest until I get to see Askren's face when he gets stuffed and realizes how hosed he is.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Dangersim posted:

I will not rest until I get to see Askren's face when he gets stuffed and realizes how hosed he is.

I'm actually really interested in seeing exactly where the line is between UFC welterweights good enough to stuff Askren and those who aren't.

Ty1990 posted:

Friends will only ever chip in for Weidman fights

thank you for proving that Chris Weidman is in fact a star.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Bubba Smith posted:

I'm actually really interested in seeing exactly where the line is between UFC welterweights good enough to stuff Askren and those who aren't.

thank you for proving that Chris Weidman is in fact a star.

hendricks, gsp, and maybe tyron woodley

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

hendricks, gsp, and maybe tyron woodley

He could probably get Lawler down but his brain would be scrambled in the process. No doubt he could take down Maia but have fun with that Ben.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mewse posted:

I see it as still in progress for Askren. He has people interested in him and talking about him. The UFC didn't give him the money he wanted, so he'll just keep racking up wins in Asia and staying undefeated and talking lots of poo poo til they're willing to concede some terms. Of course it's a gamble, though, but the UFC won't complain because it's not costing them anything, and they'll get some free hype out of it if it ever turns the corner.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Dangersim posted:

askren got his shots stuffed a bunch in yon college and he did pretty ok

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Seltzer posted:

Its about how good do you think you are?

If you think you are a really good MMA fighter, but not a great fighter, stay in ONE FC and be the big fish in the small pond. You will make more being ONE FC champ for a few years, then being ranked 12 in whatever division in the UFC.

If you believe that you are the best in the world, join the UFC and become UFC champion, you will make WAAYY more money.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

david carmichael posted:

askren got his shots stuffed a bunch in yon college and he did pretty ok

I wasn't aware people could punch you in collegiate wrestling.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Its about how good do you think you are?

If you think you are a really good MMA fighter, but not a great fighter, stay in ONE FC and be the big fish in the small pond. You will make more being ONE FC champ for a few years, then being ranked 12 in whatever division in the UFC.

If you believe that you are the best in the world, join the UFC and become UFC champion, you will make WAAYY more money.

actually you will find that gilbert makes more a pile of ufc champions

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

david carmichael posted:

actually you will find that gilbert makes more a pile of ufc champions

He's not ranked 12.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Askren's options were WSOF for minimum wage or OneFC for a million dollars

UFC didn't even make an offer

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Askren is ranked 6 or 7 depending on where you look, hth

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
When I look up my opinion hole, I see Ben Askren ranked no where because I've never seen him fight because I only watch fights that actually matter

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
you dont watch fights and you hate the ones you do watch

genuine question what was the last fight you were hyped for + felt it lived up to said hype (in a positive way not like a lovely fight being poo poo that was supposed to be poo poo)

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Yuriy posted:

genuine question what was the last fight you were hyped for + felt it lived up to said hype (in a positive way not like a lovely fight being poo poo that was supposed to be poo poo)

Mark Hunt

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

that was at bundt because i'm not trying to be a positive pete here, but he's kind of a debbie downer, a real negative nancy

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
A gloomy Gustafsson
A pessimistic Pedro

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Detroit_Dogg posted:

A pessimistic Pedro

I dunno he's looking pretty positive here

PS this is still one of the funniest things from a Brazil card, dude flopped hard and it was more obvious than any soccer dive and then he loving Andy Kaufman'd it

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
MMA isnt getting less popular its just reaching a singularity, where the entirety of the sport is just weird idiots posting on Twitter about fight rumors, and then angry dumbass pieces of poo poo posting on forums about how all the fighters suck and the fights are lovely, but the fighters dont actually exist and there arent any fights . Just posting. endless....

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Bundt is right about this though, Ben Askren is irrelevant and I wish he would go away. He also has stupid hair and probably only got good at wrestling because he couldn't get dates since he is ugly.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
^^^Do you want to talk about it? This is a safe place. Show me on the anatomically correct doll where Askren funked you.

Yuriy posted:

that was at bundt because i'm not trying to be a positive pete here, but he's kind of a debbie downer, a real negative nancy

He's still mad about Florian vs Sherk.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

^^^Do you want to talk about it? This is a safe place. Show me on the anatomically correct doll where Askren funked you.

He's still mad about Florian vs Sherk.

Nope. He's still mad about Bonnar vs JBJ.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Yuriy posted:

it's hard not to take a "who cares" attitude about ben askren, who has never fought a top 20 guy, and won't get the chance to anytime soon.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Sean Salmon, that's the name of a fighter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Championships and accomplishments[edit]

Mixed martial arts[edit]
Bellator Fighting Championships
Bellator Welterweight Championship (One time)
Bellator Season 2 Welterweight Tournament Winner
Most successful title defenses in Bellator history (4)
Most consecutive title defenses in Bellator history (4)
Tied with Michael Chandler for most consecutive Bellator wins (9)
Undefeated in Bellator (9-0)
ONE Fighting Championship
ONE FC Welterweight Championship (One time, Current)
Submission grappling[edit]
Abu Dhabi Combat Club
2009 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championships Quarterfinalist
International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles
FILA 2009 Grappling World Championships Senior No-Gi Gold Medalist
USA Wrestling
FILA World Team Trials Senior No-Gi Winner (2009)

Disc Golf[edit]
Professional Disc Golf Association
2011 United States Amateur Disc Golf Championship 2nd Place
2009 PDGA Amateur World Doubles Championships Advanced 4th Place
2009 St. Louis Open Advanced 2nd Place
2009 Mighty MO Advanced 1st Place
2009 First Class Challenge 3rd place
2006 Alabama Amateur Open Intermediate 3rd Place
2005 Highnoon at Indiantown Intermediate 2nd Place

• Locked thread