Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

:justpost:JUST POST:justpost: mafia!

Lurkers suck so don’t be a lurker just post!

F11 or c9++ setup depending on demand. A largely vanilla game of mafia with an additional incentive/punitive system for activity/lurking.

Players will be able to gain advantages and punish inactive players through high levels of activity!

By posting at a level significantly in excess of the lowest poster (thus lowest post count players may deprive others of rewards by increasing activity) you will potentially be able to gained loved status, inflict hated status or, depending on the number of surviving PRs in the game, acquire 1-shot items.

Attempts to game the system through contentless shitposting or splitting posts to inflate your count artifically will result in a punitive reversal of fortune. Discretionary weighting of quality over quantity may also be employed.

Someone once told me that all American horror movies are about poor real estate decisions but you ignored that fact when you built the LAN network on the old Indian burial ground. At least the protests stopped, well that might have to do with the fact you accidentally ran over that old medicine man who was behind organising them all but I’m sure nothing bad will come of it after all you rolled his body into a ditch and no one’s reported finding it yet so you’re sure it’s all resolved itself. So now you are free to sit down to enjoy a super cool game of mafia full of awesome bros, fun will be had as you forget your creeping fears, those twisted images of torment you constantly see from the corner of your eyes and the visions of hell projected in all the reflective surfaces you pass by and just post!

RULES

Days will be 48 hours long and nights 18 hours.
Plurality lynches.
Flavour will potentially be indicative of alignment so you may wish to avoid claiming.
No editing your posts.
No talking OOT unless you are able to do so.
Don't post your role PM.
Don't post after hammers.
Don't post after dying (:ghost: posts acceptable if not game-related).
Don't encrypt your posts, make Toxx clauses, or play Truth or Dare.
Don't lurk. If the threat of punishment isn't enough you will be warned, then replaced or killed. I won't blame anyone for sudden irl problems but please request a replacement promptly and try to be aware that lack of activity is rather inconsiderate to other players.
Don't go against the spirit of the game.

Player list:
  1. Allen Wren
  2. Asiina
  3. Epsilon Plus VT
  4. EXAKT Science
  5. HiipFire
  6. King Burgundy
  7. MildManeredManikin
  8. Pinterest Mom VT
  9. Somberbrero Town Cop

Puntification fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

HiipFire posted:

ATLEAST I THINK I PRESIGNED UP

I think you did too.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

King Burgundy posted:

Boring for the other players?

If you're scum, it'd be very annoying for your scumbuddies, if you are a PR and don't use it you are handicapping town.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna wait for a couple more hours to try and get the full twelve. I say a couple more hours I may get bored and send PMs earlier.

Puntification fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 1, 2014

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Ok I'm bored now so I'm gonna start sending off the PMs shortly.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Hey Hiipfire how do you want me to send you your role PM?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
ok sur-HHHHEEEYY wait-a-minute. NO.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

EXAKT Science posted:

Puntification, Shitposting Mod has been modkilled for posting another player's role PM in the thread. This game is now modless.

The spooky ghost of Puntification, mod-aligned ghost-mod is now modding the game.

You are all gathered around your gaming stations in the middle of the burial site, ready to get started. Someone has dug up some bones and knick-knacks and scattered them about to make it seem more atmospheric, seems kind of inappropriate to desecrate graves for the purpose of table decoration but you have to admit it’s pretty cool looking if a bit creepy. Then you remember 8bux was meant to be joining you, what’s happened to him?

8bux, town unsuspecting first victim has mysteriously vanished before proceedings have even started, spooky…

You assume he had better things to do and obliviously carry on regardless.

Day 1 BEGINS!

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
This game is now co-modded by CapitalistPig. Please make him feel welcomed by posting a lot.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
:siren: If things remain at the hammer as they stand currently, the random selection of punitive/benefical action towards the least/most active poster will come into effect! :siren:

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Just to reassure/warn people not to go overboard - I'm not planning to blindly apply penalties/give rewards without consideration of context or effort.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

This is news to me, I've literally been running a manual tally lol.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
(Just in case you were curious about EP's flavour)

:angel: In memorandum :angel:

RIP, Epsilon Plus, the cantankerous grump Eccoraven, lost in a sea of fools you think everyone else is an idiot and will tell us all about this opinion, extensively.

Puntification fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 4, 2014

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Somberbero was chilling out during a lull in the game when he noticed a gilded puzzle box lying in the dirt, he headed over and picked it up. As he touched it he felt that the surface of the box allowed for the manipulation of the designs on the surface, whirring and clicking, altering it's configuration with each compression. Quickly he was hooked, wandering off to get some peace from the obnoxious clamouring of the awful people he associated with, so that he could finish the puzzle. He barely noticed how progress altering the pattern on the surface of the box subtly shifted the landscape of his surroundings. With an ecstatic cry "Yes!" he finished the puzzle, it whirred and rotated creating impossible geometric patterns, quite nauseating to the human eye and mind.

Suddenly the front face of the box sprang open, it was filled with chains, spikes and hooks, Somberbrero having apparently more wits than the average character trapped in a horror movie scenario pitched the box away from him and turned to run. To no avail, the chains and implements guided by minds of their own leapt forth and wrapped around his limbs trapping him in place, the physical pain however was not nearly as frightening as the apparition in front of him.

Shaven headed with nails embedded into the flesh of their face and head, a figure stood before him, a nightmarish vision of black leather and metal spikes, it stepped forwards further into the light revealing itself to be even more bizarre and grotesque than it first appeared, seeming to be dressed like a house wife from America in the 1950s, whose clothing were entirely recycled from BDSM leather gear, and carrying a rolling pin studded with metal spikes. The fear and pain was matched with the grim revulsion that comes from a child discovering their parents are still sexual beings and get really weird with it.

"Come." the demon said, "We have such sights to show you." Somberbrero continued to scream as he was dragged to hell.

Pinterest Mom, Vanila town, has been damned for eternity in an S&M hellworld that bears a striking similarity to the Clive Barker Property Hellraiser but definitely isn't according to my lawyer.

:angel: In memorandum :angel:

RIP Pinterest Mom, you were Somberbrero, an active and avid player, always willing to post up a storm and try your best to make a game not-poo poo, kudos.

It's now D2.

Punishment was the randomly selected outcome of the post count system! There is no penalty applied to the least active poster as they were killed anyway.

Puntification fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 4, 2014

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Somberbrero posted:

:ohdear: But then he escaped and everything was okay, right?

I really wanted to like Hellraiser but it was not good.

He was fine :) Apart from the eternal torment. It has some cool ideas but is a bad movie imo.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

King Burgundy posted:

I always liked Pinhead, but agree the movies were pretty bad.

Some of the concepts, the characters and the physical effects are very cool but as a whole it doesn't work. Also as the franchise goes on it makes it clear rather than being extra-dimensional entities who transcend the understanding and morality of human existence they are simply demons who are kinky makes it conceptually disappointing as well as cinematically disappointing. I have many and strong opinions about bad movies.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Good job idiots you no-lynched, I was out so didn't close the thread. Please submit you night actions now. I will start d3 some time sunday so be prompt!

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
"Man I love creeppasta." said merk, while surfing the SCP Foundation website. "Wow here's one about an artifact that makes makes people who are eating while reading about it choke on their food..." merk looked down at their Pot Noodle (c) nervously (are Pot Noodles a brand in the US? If not, it's basically ramen with various flavourings in a plastic pot you add hot water to) "hahaha good thing this isn't rea-*cough cough*

Somberbrero, town cop choked to death on a perfectly normal low quality snack food in a situation that was in no way actually supernatural.

:angel: in memorandum :angel:

RIP Somberbrero, Merk, The Greatest Mafia Champion, it must be true it says so on your avatar and those don’t lie! Your incredible mafia skill and keen lawyer senses makes you a fearsome player capable of peering into the souls of your fellow mafia players, you are a Town Cop.

DAY 3 BEGINS

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Weekends are like mafia-kryptonite. Stop having lives and play my dumb game you jerks!

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
There's not enough :justpost:ing going on you should all :justpost: 'k thanks!

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Allen Wren posted:

Okay, yeah, school is a legit reason to not post.

For reals.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

HiipFire posted:

wow fine ill just not post how bout that poo poo

I'm just pretending to be nice in the hopes that people will keep signing up to my games in future, I actually think you should all happily run the risk of losing your jobs and failing at school if it would make the game better.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Puntification sighed, all this death and jane austin was really getting to him. Not even thinking about bee movie, his favourite movie that was no doubt a cinematic triumph with Jerry Seinfeld being as funny as he ever was (what's the deal with airline food? hahaha classic, jerry) could cheer him up. Everyone seemed dazed and confused, unsure what to do, the numerous grizzly deaths had really taken the momentum out of the game. He noticed Taste and Hal were up and about moving around the group, seemingly engaged in some sort of impenetrable ritual practice. He chuckled "that's way more active than they can usually be relied upon to be." trying desperately to extract some humour from the situation, he froze and the penny dropped. His ever-so handsome face shifted from a look of force levity to one of horror.

Suddenly it all made sense, the suffering, the deaths, the way the gaming station was in a ritual circle, Hal's and Taste's death soulless eyes, the whispering of restless spirits you could hear when you were near them, the way they daubed bloody runes from the viscera of each player that had died around the group and chanted each time someone died, it was all so obvious how hadn't we noticed before now? "Oh, sh-" The sky cracked open, thunder and gales erupted from the night sky drowning out all human voices while the wind seemed to scream inhuman curses, the ground shook and the blood on the ground lit up, the earth before them crumbled and the fell deep into hell.

Time seemed to distort, they fell for an age before slamming into the ground. Puntification gasped for breath, he could see the prone forms of the others nearby but hadn't the strength to rise and check on them. Suddenly a familiar noise came from his jacket pocket, the buzzing of his phone, if it weren't for his lack of breath he'd had laughed at the absurdity but he felt compelled to check it. Meekly grasping into his jacket pocket he unlocked the phone and pressed the message, from an anonymous sender: it was a role PM.

Sartre was right, Hell is other people, playing a party game involving an uniformed majority hunting an informed minority. FOREVER.

Allen wren (I always want to write allen west, the war criminal)

Windshipper AKA Dr. Whet faartz. Who knew you were actually an MD? You are the Town Doctor.

HIIPFIRE

The affable and loveable mafia boy-child mr.capps. Being such a sociable extrovert in a community of curmudgeons who only interact because they want to call strangers idiots makes you a Town Mason able to chat out of the thread along with your partner ASIINA.

ASIINA

Puntification, honestly, you’re not very good at mafia, you’ve won once in about ten games, it’s a real crappy track record, but one thing you can do is poo poo up a doc with all sorts of garbage thoughts. You are a Town Mason.

were endgamed by:

King Burgundy

The diabolical monster Hal Incandenza, death miller irl and scummy as anything, however you’re also a really nice guy and this can make people reluctant to lynch you, you can leverage this fact in your role as a Mafia Roleblocker.

EXAKT SCIENCE

Tremendous Taste, you’re a cool guy but drat unless you’re threatened with imminent death you post so little people barely know you’re playing. You are a mafia goon.

Some docs of interest:
Mod doc, contains night actions, unused flavour for larger game and unused death flavour for exakt
Scum doc
Masonry doc - note: I think I'll try to make sure masons are in the same time zone in future.

Thanks everyone, even though it kind of petered out at the end this was a lot more satisfying to run than low-effort mafia so if games are getting better in a couple more tries I should be able to run an active game from beginning to end!

I think the post-count reward system needed a bigger game so it could be developed a bit more as it ended up applying to a dead man, not being activated due to overall inactvity the second and then it was mylo and I wasn't gonna tip the scales at that point in either direction.

I also regret not having the patience to get the last couple of people because of the stuff I cut - I think the three-way masonry with one scum and the serial killer being in play would have been fun additions.

Puntification fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 10, 2014

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Here are the flavour PMs for the cop investigations:

quote:

You take Allen Wren aside and lawyer him up real good. Afterwards he kneels at your feet bloody and sobbing quietly like a child, you slip the brass knuckles back into your jacket pocket. Everything about him is broken but his story, I guess he really is town, you think. "The prosecution moves to acquit." You quip while placing your shades back on (having taken them off earlier to avoid blood splatter).

quote:

You follow MMM and set upon him with a gavel you nicked from court earlier, spending the night pummelling him senseless, quite how this helps you discern his alignment I'm not sure but then I'm not the professional lawyer. MMM is town.

I probably should have done some flavour for Allen getting roleblocked on the last night but I answered the email before I had coffee so didn't write anything interesting, sorry.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Somberbrero posted:

:argh: I was fairly on point this game and then I died. I recognized going into the Asiina slapfight that I was probably going to be wrong but it was important for getting content going, sorry if that was frustrating Asiina! I definitely would have guessed MMM over KB because KB was playing a good game and MMM had stuff going on. Hope it all works out, buddy.

Yeah this game they killed you cos you were too on point I was specifically thinking of voyager, when you named the entire scumteam and then lynched someone else entirely, when I made that comment though. KB was definitely scum MVP he played very well.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
A similar thing happened in clash as well, I think it was even EXAKT that you were onto in that game too ironically.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

http://youtu.be/MYtjpIwamos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys! I've enjoyed writing the flavour for this game it's been quite a lot of fun having a more elaborate thematic hook to riff off.

• Locked thread