Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Boomer The Cannon posted:

At this rate, they'll be getting The Full Lokomotiv Experience.

drat, I mean I was just going to say "I'm waiting for Hartnell to get Ebola" or something like that, but...yeah.

They say Douglas built their airplanes like tanks (as in maintain them and they'll fly forever). Now I'm worried. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBurnStuffAlot
Feb 25, 2008

:siren:DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN:siren:
N: Skeleton goalie is NHL's First Star of the week.

V:Mups for the mup god. Pucks for the puck throne.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

yellowcar posted:

The whites would be better if it had the band across the crest like the old 1944-47 white jersey.

I liked the short lived 3rd jersey we had.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Posting without comment.

"hey uh guys, i know you're just done practice and are now changing before you hit the showers, but could you throw on these bad christmas sweaters and hats and pose on this toboggan for the december calender? we kinda forgot and this is a last minute thing"

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Giordano being named the 1st star of the month in the NHL is pretty cool.

Apparently since the NHL began its 3 monthly stars (October 2006), Giordano is only the ninth d-man recognized and first EVER to be named the first star.

Also, he does poo poo like this:

TeamJesus fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 2, 2014

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I know it's not usually kosher to post hfboards links, but apparently Brian Savage or someone claiming to be him is posting there.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1279815

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The top 11 teams in the NHL are separated by 3 points. :psyduck:

e- Jackets win. Jackets win? JACKETS WIN! :psyboom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 2, 2014

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
There was rumblings Brodeur might get a game this week from what I read earlier but all I can really hope for is that he doesn't cry a bunch when he rides pine and he gets the boot once Elliot is back.

Zybl0re
Aug 10, 2002

I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS SHIT!

Martytoof posted:

Posting without comment.

Don't tell Pierre McGuire. :ssh:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

The Rangers really loving suck against the Lightning.

This is not news.

Lundqvist had a .750 SV% tonight. The gently caress.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
I tried having this discussion with someone on Twitter but as it turns out the guy was a complete Bill Wirtz (yes, BILL) fanboy so I'll ask some of you here:

Forbes today released a list that says approximately 6 teams account for 76% of the NHL's operating income. The interesting member of that group is the Chicago Blackhawks, but not for their present ability to print money.

Back in 2006, at the franchise's nadir - the team was worth $179m. In 9 years, that valuation now stands at an astounding $823m. We all know the story: you have to draft high & also get lucky. Chicago did that, they got a Hull & Mikita for a new generation, Bill dies, Rocky makes amends, HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN! But what if those picks had turned into James Sheppard and Kyle Turris? Drafting can be a crapshoot. Chicago got lucky by choosing those exact two players, there are a multitude of other factors but the catalyst for everything that went right for Chicago was drafting Toews and Kane. One could argue the team's fortunes literally would have been affected.

Full disclosure, I became a fan of hockey starting in 2009. I wasn't around for the days of 7,000 people at United Center. So, let's assume it's 2008 and the Hawks miss on Toews and Kane - your team still stinks after 2 years of being close/drafting 1st overall, but you don't have the constant attendance revenue well a team like Edmonton has to see them through the crap years. You can't move the team, and you can't shut them down. They are an "Original 6" team in the fan's eyes. How much worse could it have been? The situation is relevant to all 29 teams due to revenue sharing. Could the NHL have forced Wirtz out?

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 2, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Rotten Cookies posted:

The Rangers really loving suck against the Lightning.

This is not news.

Lundqvist had a .750 SV% tonight. The gently caress.

quote:

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 31m31 minutes ago
The #TBLightning have scored 14 goals on 76 shots against #NYR Henrik Lundqvist in the last month. Wow.

God drat. :stare:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Good NIGHT.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 2, 2014

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

MaoistBanker posted:

I tried having this discussion with someone on Twitter but as it turns out the guy was a complete Bill Wirtz (yes, BILL) fanboy so I'll ask some of you here:

Forbes today released a list that says approximately 6 teams account for 76% of the NHL's operating income. The interesting member of that group is the Chicago Blackhawks, but not for their present ability to print money.

Back in 2006, at the franchise's nadir - the team was worth $179m. In 9 years, that valuation now stands at an astounding $823m. We all know the story: you have to draft high & also get lucky. Chicago did that, they got a Hull & Mikita for a new generation, Bill dies, Rocky makes amends, HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN! But what if those picks had turned into James Sheppard and Kyle Turris? Drafting can be a crapshoot. Chicago got lucky by choosing those exact two players, there are a multitude of other factors but the catalyst for everything that went right for Chicago was drafting Toews and Kane. One could argue the team's fortunes literally would have been affected.

Full disclosure, I became a fan of hockey starting in 2009. I wasn't around for the days of 7,000 people at United Center. So, let's assume it's 2008 and the Hawks miss on Toews and Kane - your team still stinks after 2 years of being close/drafting 1st overall, but you don't have the constant attendance revenue well a team like Edmonton has to see them through the crap years. You can't move the team, and you can't shut them down. They are an "Original 6" team in the fan's eyes. How much worse could it have been? The situation is relevant to all 29 teams due to revenue sharing. Could the NHL have forced Wirtz out?

I'm pretty sure that the Hawks were never in serious financial straits (ie, Pens about the same time or Phoenix more recently), but they were bad for a long time, like one playoff appearance in a decade kind of bad. To me it felt like the Blues early-aughts period of ineptitude was never-ending and that was half as long as the Hawks. Wirtz gets a lot of crap and rightfully so, but the Hawks were really, really good for a really, really long time prior to that. To me growing up, it always seemed like the Hakws were the team to beat in the Norris. They had a lot of fantastic players, some all time greats, and they were pretty consistently popular both in Chicago and around the NHL.

Point being, they were almost inevitably going to turn it around eventually, as the Oilers will eventually. The fact that they drafted three probable Hall of Famers almost back-to-back-to-back helps a lot (and leads to multiple cups) but even without that kind of epic turnaround they were still going to remain a viable franchise. Eventually they'd have been a serious contender in pretty much any circumstance, as pretty much any NHL team will. Except Toronto.

I assume by forcing Wirtz out you're referring to the elder Wirtz and assuming he lived longer...but in any case I don't think that was very likely. North American sports team owners know perfectly well that they have little cartels that should probably be illegal and they cede that it is in their best interest to get along with one another even if one is kind of a turd. Obviously there are lines that can be crossed such as seriously damaging your league brand by saying ridiculous racist poo poo to your gold-digging wife, but AFAIK that hasn't really been an issue the NHL has had to address.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 2, 2014

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

MaoistBanker posted:

Could the NHL have forced Wirtz out?

Could, yes.

Would they have? Hell loving no.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

GAA of .750 would be something!

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Drunk Canuck posted:

Could, yes.

Would they have? Hell loving no.

My point being, how much longer could the NHL afford for one of their premier marques to be in such bad shape? How does that franchise turnaround without Toews and Kane?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

I was trying to figure out if he had a gaa of 7.5 or a sv % of .750 either are terrible.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Rotten Cookies posted:

GAA of .750 would be something!
haha dammit i knew something was wrong

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I'm glad the Rangers don't play the Lightning again for the rest of the year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MaoistBanker posted:

My point being, how much longer could the NHL afford for one of their premier marques to be in such bad shape? How does that franchise turnaround without Toews and Kane?

Eventually they get good picks? If they kept sucking they would continue to draft high, and Oilers notwithstanding, that's usually a recipe for success.

It's not like they were losing money over the operation. Once Old Fucker Bill died, the TV contract alone in that market would have been sufficient to maintain profitability. Even at their supposed nadir in terms of Forbes goof-troop valuations, they were the 12th most valuable team in the league and within the margin of error of the top 10. This was without a local TV contract and drawing 13k a night, 29th in the league.

MaoistBanker posted:

Full disclosure, I became a fan of hockey starting in 2009. I wasn't around for the days of 7,000 people at United Center.

Kingsfans.txt

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 2, 2014

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I want at a minimum a Brodeur Blues shirsey.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I know it's not usually kosher to post hfboards links, but apparently Brian Savage or someone claiming to be him is posting there.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1279815

Did you read any of it?

First post was from 2012 and his activity trailed off a few months later.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Even if you discount what Kane and Toews turned into http://capgeek.com/blackhawks/archive/?year_id=2007

There were good pieces on that Hawks team, Byfuglien probably would've stuck around with Ladd and Ruutu. Definitely were gonna be a playoff contender with Crawford and Niemi in their system.

(Just imagining what Campbell and Keith would've done if they stuck together, yeesh)

Drunk Canuck fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 2, 2014

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Drunk Canuck posted:

(Just imagining what Campbell and Keith would've done if they stuck together, yeesh)

I'm still surprised to this day that one of the 8 teams listed on Brian Campbell's NTC that he WOULD accept a trade to included the Florida Panthers. Dale Tallon or not, I've never seen a guy so loving happy to get paid big money while being ejected out of the hockey universe.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think Chicago would have been perfectly fine with Backstrom, Kessel, JVR, Voracek etc.

More like inevitable than 2 specific lucky picks.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MaoistBanker posted:

Keep in mind that the Blackhawks started to become a promoted team at the 2009 Winter Classic. That was the first time Chicago really got any mainstream NHL attention. Next season, Chicago won the Cup, and they've been a marquee franchise ever since.

From around 1995 to 2004, here were the NHL's most heavily-promoted franchises, for the most part:
- Detroit
- Colorado
- Philadelphia
- NY Rangers
- Pittsburgh
- Montreal
- Toronto
- Pittsburgh
- Dallas

Odds are, most of your Fox and ABC afternoon games featured those teams, your promoted playoff series featured those teams, and all of that. Nine teams, and realistically 7-8 depending on the year.

Since the canceled season, here's how that list has changed.

- Detroit, Philadelphia, NY Rangers, Montreal, Toronto all stay top-level franchises.
- Colorado and Dallas dropped off after the lockout and their '90s stars retired.
- Pittsburgh dropped down in 03-04, but came immediately back with Crosby.
- Washington became a top team with Ovechkin.
- Boston became a marketable team again.
- Chicago became a relevant franchise again.
- Vancouver was a high-seller from 08-13.
- Buffalo became a top team due to high TV ratings in Buffalo, and are still promoted like a popular team.
- Los Angeles became the top team over the last couple seasons, and now carries that reputation.
- Expanded TV contracts have allowed for a variety of second-tier promoted teams (San Jose, Anaheim, Minnesota, St. Louis) that wouldn't have gotten as much national attention in the old system.

Essentially, the NHL went from five absolute money-draws to twelve, plus four or five more solid teams. The whole system has shifted forward.

In Chicago's case, it's much more than just becoming promotable. The Blackhawks weren't even relevant from 1998-2008. They were good but never great before then, but Chicago really bottomed out for those ten years. (For example, the Red Wings played 13 different Western Conference teams in the playoffs from 1996 until playing Chicago in 2009. Including the Winnipeg Jets, in their last playoff series.) The Blackhawks weren't a team to be interested in for Detroit fans, they were a team to be vaguely pitied, while we looked towards other games on the schedule.

Toews and Kane didn't just turn an old premier team back again, they basically resurrected a team from as low as it could possibly be for that caliber of franchise.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Former Oilers prospect Toby Rieder just scored 2 shorthanded goals in the span of approximately one minute for the Coyotes against the Oilers.

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 2, 2014

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

AsInHowe posted:

Essentially, the NHL went from five absolute money-draws to twelve, plus four or five more solid teams. The whole system has shifted forward.

The interesting thing is that Forbes is basically saying the opposite. I certainly don't disagree with your evidence, but Forbes is basically saying Leafs, Habs, B'hawks, Bruins, Rangers, Canucks keep the league going.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MaoistBanker posted:

The interesting thing is that Forbes is basically saying the opposite. I certainly don't disagree with your evidence, but Forbes is basically saying Leafs, Habs, B'hawks, Bruins, Rangers, Canucks keep the league going.

I'm pretty sure those are all teams with big markets, own their modern arenas, and have huge media deals sized to their market.

Also, keep in mind that the Blackhawks didn't have a real TV deal until 2009, because Bill Wirtz opposed airing home games on TV.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

MaoistBanker posted:

Former Oilers prospect Toby Rieder just scored 2 shorthanded goals in the span of approximately one minute for the Coyotes against the Oilers.

Was it the same penalty? Also, has anyone ever gotten a hat trick that is all SHGs? Just sayin, there is still time.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Maybe there is a Hockey God and he was cutting Columbus a break tonight by not making this any worse than it was:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gotta-see-it-bobrovsky-chaput-collide-in-warm-ups/?row=0&row_ids=1617293

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

darkwolf220 posted:

Was it the same penalty? Also, has anyone ever gotten a hat trick that is all SHGs? Just sayin, there is still time.

It was indeed the same penalty.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

MaoistBanker posted:

If you mean Original Six teams, replace Canucks with Red Wings.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aurora posted:

He doesn't. The Wings are the one of the 6 not in the top.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Aurora posted:

...until the new arena comes.

Right now, the Wings have very little revenue from luxury boxes and premium seating, as compared to other teams. That will change in three years. Also, the new arena will be team-owned, not rented for $1.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

That was the stupidest period in Oilers hockey this season, and that's saying something.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Since the Christmas season is coming up Smith-Pelly decided he'd hop up on Bartkowski's cross early.

Aaaaaand then the puck goes in and refs are like :thumbsup:-good play!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's Easter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
The only forwards on the Ducks who aren't assholes are like, Cogliano basically.

• Locked thread