Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Gordie Howe is in ICU after another major stroke yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vincent Van Goat posted:

I can't remember, have they played any teams with mumpy players recently? I know they haven't played the Blues, and they played the Ducks for the opener, but I feel like there's another team that had it.

This is why the game needs enforcers, as their role is diminished in an era where everyone is paranoid about concussions teams are seeking new weapons to limit the effectiveness of star players.

Biological warfare was inevitable. This is what we get for taking away the punchmen!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

T-Bone posted:

They're all second round picks (Jarry/Comrie/Fucale) -- is winning the U18 really enough to get you picked over a guy who has posted a career CHL .920+ and just won the Memorial Cup man Canada can be dumber than DeBoer when it comes to team selection he already sucked vs. Finland last year surely they remember that

Fucale's apparently been a top prospect since he was like 14. There's something about his game that just Looks Right, and leads scouty types to believe that whatever shortcomings his game has are things that can be (easily?) fixed. I'm pretty sympathetic to that thinking in broad terms, but it seems off base in the context of a short tournament where Fucale hasn't looked so hot and there's another guy right there.

e:

quote:

DarrenDreger: Martin Brodeur's 1 year contract with the Blues is being finalized.
the final countdown

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

I guess you're maybe too late in that this sort of approach isn't new to the way Hockey Canada operates. For what it's worth, Pronman was going on yesterday about how taking him is reasonable(ish) and this isn't just a winz thing, but it still looks pretty bad. And, really, even if he is a genuine prospect, that still doesn't seem like reason enough to take him over someone like Jarry.

Yeah, Team Canada has always worked like this. They seem to have "their guys" and they roll with them through thick and thin. It leads to some lovely snubs sometimes if you're not one of their guys, like for Ottawa 67s players over the past decade. I hope Konecny can turn that around for next year's tourney.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

AsInHowe posted:

Gordie Howe is in ICU after another major stroke yesterday.

Seriously, just let him go at this point. His quality of life is going to be beyond horrible after 2 major strokes, back problems and dementia. :(

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

The Toronto Sun describes Dallas in today's preview as a "Defense first team"

The Toronto Sun's offices are located on King Street, but in 2003.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

sba posted:

Seriously, just let him go at this point. His quality of life is going to be beyond horrible after 2 major strokes, back problems and dementia. :(

Everything I've heard is that the plan is just to do whatever he wants to do. If Gordie wants to keep fighting, he'll fight. If not, he'll relax and make the best of things.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

Fucale's apparently been a top prospect since he was like 14. There's something about his game that just Looks Right, and leads scouty types to believe that whatever shortcomings his game has are things that can be (easily?) fixed. I'm pretty sympathetic to that thinking in broad terms, but it seems off base in the context of a short tournament where Fucale hasn't looked so hot and there's another guy right there.

This is the same kind of thinking that got Maf picked first overall.

Although strangely enough Maf is having the best season of his career.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Vincent Van Goat posted:

I can't remember, have they played any teams with mumpy players recently? I know they haven't played the Blues, and they played the Ducks for the opener, but I feel like there's another team that had it.

The Wild had it, and Tanner Glass has it. How Tanner Glass got it, I'm not sure. But the Pens have played the Rangers recently.

e: another thing to look at is if they've been in any visitors' dressing rooms after one of the mumps teams has been.

toe knee hand fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 2, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NHL says Marty's been signed to a 1 year deal to the Blues

:wooper:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

quote:

Jeremy Rutherford ‏@jprutherford 3m3 minutes ago

Brodeur receives $10,000 for every point he earns. #stlblues

Just Wins Games™ now has monetary value.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
IT'S A MARTY PARTY

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

If the power isn't fully restored at the Joe by 3:30 or so, the game will be postponed. It would take at least that long to fully set up the arena for the game tonight, especially the catering.

I had to check to see if they were playing the Leafs because I assumed this was a Kessel joke.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Furnaceface posted:

I know Chicago and St.Louis both had a decent stretch where they were massive piles of poo poo (about a decade). Up until this year the Thrashers/Jets have been pretty terrible and on a streak about as long as the Oilers.

Im sure fans of other teams have better ideas of their dark times, those are just the ones Im familiar with.

This is not true. Assuming you are talking about the post-lockout Blues, they were bad from 2005 to like 2009. Before that, they made the playoffs 25 (or w/e) straight years.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

I hope this leads to him icing the puck when trying to go for ENG leading towards a late game equalizer.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
@Aportzline: Concerning trend. Letestu is at least the eighth #CBJ player in the year and a half to require abdominal surgery.

What a weird team

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The Dirty Burger posted:

@Aportzline: Concerning trend. Letestu is at least the eighth #CBJ player in the year and a half to require abdominal surgery.

What a weird team

Hard to say it's a trend unless we know exactly what is being surgered.

That's right I said surgered.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Dirty Burger posted:

What a weird team

The CBJ seemed to find ways to rack up somewhat high numbers of man-games lost, so it's actually not a new trend. This year just blows the roof off those figures.

Further:

quote:

#‎CBJ‬ C Mark Letestu to be sidelined an additional 6 weeks after groin and abdominal surgery.

Not only are they seeing injured players, but that's the third to be re-injured (Murray, Anisimov).

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 2, 2014

IBurnStuffAlot
Feb 25, 2008

:siren:DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN:siren:
Fatso trade Howe's life fo' a second shot. Too bad the devils tricksy. Fatso gonn' post a .666 save 'centage.

Get outta tha water fat kid, glass shark's coming for you.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Mind_Taker posted:

I wonder if Brodeur will generate more in merchandise sales than that "10k per point earned" bonus costs the team.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

The CBJ seemed to find ways to rack up somewhat high numbers of man-games lost, so it's actually not a new trend. This year just blows the roof off those figures.

Further:

Not only are they seeing injured players, but that's the third to be re-injured (Murray, Anisimov).

I think he's implying there may be an issue with their strength and conditioning, and possibly with their medical staff. They may be getting injured from workouts they're doing, or from not doing proper workouts or whatever.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Zodijackylite posted:

I swear these player names from the 77-78 Rockies are made up. The leading scorer was Wilf Paiement?

Paiement was an actual good player for a stretch, even if he never did much to warrant his name being remembered.

I have no idea who the other players are.

Spamtron7000 posted:

It's sad really. Oates was such a smart and gifted player on the ice. Who would have known he'd be so stupid in real life? Not McPhee's fault at all.

Has a great player ever become a great coach?

CBJSprague24 posted:

Further:

If there is one positive about this season, it's that Columbus will probably be a good team next year, and hey, they have a really good chance at landing one of McDavid or Eichel. I know someone has mentioned it, but the team could be scary with one of them plus Johansen.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
For some reason Slava Voynov is practicing with the Kings this morning, what the hell Dean?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I wonder if Brodeur will generate more in merchandise sales than that "10k per point earned" bonus costs the team.

He'll probably help the Blues start selling out every game since most fans are stupid and think he is really good still.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Mike_V posted:

This is not true. Assuming you are talking about the post-lockout Blues, they were bad from 2005 to like 2009. Before that, they made the playoffs 25 (or w/e) straight years.

Ah yes, the old St. Louis formula.

Start cold - Get hot in January, stay hot until March - Pronger injured or suspended - First round exit.

Along with "Dallas beats Edmonton in 1st round" you could set your watch to it for a while.

tofes posted:

For some reason Slava Voynov is practicing with the Kings this morning, what the hell Dean?

Lucille Ball doesn't have as much to explain.

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 2, 2014

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Mike_V posted:

He'll probably help the Blues start selling out every game since most fans are stupid and think he is really good still.

this was devils fans until the schneider trade

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
hahaha

Kevin Woodley ‏@KevinisInGoal 55s56 seconds ago
Hitchcock mercifully ends Brodeur as backup BS; simply not wired for it: "If he’s here, he’s going to play. He’s not going to back up"

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

AsInHowe posted:

Huge power outage at the Joe right now. Red Wings' practice is canceled, who knows what will happen tonight.

Must be diverting power to the Golden Throne to keep Howe alive

IBurnStuffAlot
Feb 25, 2008

:siren:DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN:siren:

toe knee hand posted:

hahaha

Hitchcock mercifully ends Brodeur as backup BS; simply not wired for it: "If he’s here, he’s going to play. He’s not going to back up"

Blues gonna get McDavid

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

toe knee hand posted:

hahaha

wtf, it's not like Jake Allen has been terrible in goal... I seriously doubt Broduer is going to put up a .918 SVG%.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

Larry Robinson?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Twin Cinema posted:

Paiement was an actual good player for a stretch, even if he never did much to warrant his name being remembered.

I have no idea who the other players are.

How dare you besmirch second overall pick, future super star and inevitable saviour of the Colorado Rockies defenceman Barry Beck!

Twin Cinema posted:

I can only think of Larry Robinson. Toe Blake and others, but I donno if you wanna count olden time hockey players.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 2, 2014

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I think what Hitch means is that it's going to continue to be a 1a/1b thing like they had with Elliott and Allen. I imagine Allen will be the 1a, unless Hitch has lost his mind. At which point hopefully he will realize after 5 games of .905 or so from Marty that he needs to be playing 1/5 of the games or w/e.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Look Around You posted:

I think he's implying there may be an issue with their strength and conditioning, and possibly with their medical staff. They may be getting injured from workouts they're doing, or from not doing proper workouts or whatever.

Oh yeah, I was just observing that this isn't the first year I've heard Jeff Rimer talk about the high number of man games lost. I think the trainers' and medical staff's seats may heat up significantly before the end of the year given all the injuries, several of which to groins this year alone.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Man, I'd love a goaler with a .905.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Larry Robinson is the most obvious, although he always worked best as an assistant. Lemaire is another one.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands
More on Slava Voynov

@curtiszupke
Lombardi didn't appear to have an explanation for Voynov when reporters tried to ask him.

What the hell, indeed.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

IBurnStuffAlot posted:

Blues gonna get McDavid

Buffalo has STL's first rounder :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mike_V posted:

I think what Hitch means is that it's going to continue to be a 1a/1b thing like they had with Elliott and Allen. I imagine Allen will be the 1a, unless Hitch has lost his mind. At which point hopefully he will realize after 5 games of .905 or so from Marty that he needs to be playing 1/5 of the games or w/e.

Hitchcock was interviewed on Ottawa radio right after the Blues announced Brodeur was going to practice with them, and the conclusion the hosts had after the interview (and I agree) is that this isn't something that came up in the last week. Hitchcock seems to have wanted to bring Brodeur in for a while. Probably not because he wanted a backup.

• Locked thread