Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Mind_Taker posted:

Just Wins Games™ now has monetary value.

I wonder if Brodeur will generate more in merchandise sales than that "10k per point earned" bonus costs the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Pang interviewing Brodeur: http://video.blues.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=782&id=688250&lang=en&navid=DL%7CSTL%7Chome

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

My heart is prepared. I am ready for The Fatty.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Man, how about Tarasenko and Schwartz? Those two are solid young hockey players. Brodeur actually put in a solid performance as a dude who is older than the both of those two put together. The rest of the Blues need to get their poo poo together, though, and fast. The entire first line is really starting to frustrate me. If Backes wants to be the captain and Oshie wants to be a face of the franchise then they need to start scoring. I think people have said enough about Stastny's lack of production so I won't even go there.

I was most surprised by how lovely Lehtera's game was tonight. He was directly responsible for the first goal by giving it away right inside his own blueline, and he was too slow to jump in and help stop one of the other goals. I hope that he just had a bad night and was tired from playing yesterday.

Edit: I get that a lot of people want to jump on the "haha Brodeur is old and bad and is gonna sink the Blues" train, but tonight the Blues didn't need any help sinking themselves.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Trevor Bird posted:

i'm not a blues fan, so i haven't really paid attention, but has he really been as bad as his numbers? i didn't notice him tonight. he has 15 less points than ribeiro for 6 million more dollars this year.

i am a fan of mike ribeiro, on a related note. 3 points tonight. 22 in 25 games. the coyotes are paying him double what nashville is this year.

To be fair to Stastny, he was hurt and missed somewhere around 10 games. However, the Blues have a clear issue with their offense lately being generated by the STL line alone, while the dudes making the big bucks like Backes and Stastny are either scoring almost entirely on the powerplay or not at all. It's something that has to change or it won't matter how old and fat their goaltender is.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Martin Brodeur is cool and old and good and fat and a lot of things. I praise the hockey Jesus that he came into the game and inspired the players in front of him to play A) offense and B) defense instead of C) neither of those things.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Aye Doc posted:

Brodeur will make his first home start tonight against Florida. game of the year 2014 nominee

I found out at 10pm last night that I'll be going to the game tonight, so cool.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Brodeur was floppin around like it was the 90s again. His rebound cintrol was nonexistant but I guess it was exciting. The Porter tip-in goal was super cool.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

bewbies posted:

TBH the Blues were totally outplayed last night and Brodeur was the difference between win and loss. He was great vs the Islanders too. I think he's going to really lock down his hall of fame spot if he keeps this up.

I dunno, man, Brodeur was doing a ton of flopping around and a ton of giving up rebounds, both of which were bailed out on numerous occasions by his defense. He also looked super bad and out of position on the second goal, even if you give him the benefit of the doubt that the guy who should have been covering the shooter had gone to get a new stick from the bench because he gave his up to the defenseman whose stick broke.

Brodeur made a lot of saves numerically speaking, but he didn't make them in quality ways (seriously, go back and look at all the saves he made where he simultaneously let up a big rebound while also falling on his rear end or side), and it wouldn't have been a glorious regulation win at all if it weren't for an unlikely awesome tip-in goal from Chris Porter.

Like, I wanna believe in the narrative and the magic of old hall of famers as much as anyone else, but he was floppin like a fish out of water the whole night.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

bewbies posted:

I agree that there was flopping but he also made a lot of very good saves on a lot of good chances irregardless of floppage quantity. I wouldn't really place either goal on him either as they were both direct results of defensive breakdowns and if you give quality shooters clear lanes that many times some are going to beat the goalie some percent of the time regardless of who the goalie is.

Oh, I'm not blaming him for either of the goals; I'm saying that, with the rebounds he gave up and the locations he gave them up at, a more dangerous team than Florida would have hung up several more goals on him easily. Also, he got bailed out in quite a number of situations by the team in front of him, including a play where he was extremely out of position to stop a shot where Oshie went down to block the shooter's path (to be fair to Brodeur, that was on a second chance that I can't remember if it was because of a rebound he let up or not).

Basically, flop around or whatever, but the rebounds have to be controlled better than they were last night or he's gonna get decimated by teams with better scoring talent.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Mike_V posted:

Jaden Schwartz is week-to-week with a foot issue after blocking a Doughty (I think) shot last night :sigh:

Fuuuuuuck, that's really bad. Schwartz is consistently one of the best forwards for the Blues in pretty much all aspects of the game so this is a huge loss.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

It's a weird bounce but also a backbreaking goal to let happen. Not a great game from the Blues in general or Marty in particular past the first period.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Blues have a sorta bad holiday video but look at that Oshie sweater: http://video.blues.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=784&id=703873&lang=en&navid=DL%7CSTL%7Chome

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Mike_V posted:

Blues fans, are there ways to find tickets for games that are not stupid expensive, even for the nosebleeds? I'm looking at tickets for the Avs game and even the corner nosebleeds are $50. Anyone have experience with scalpers outside Scottrade?

I've sold them tickets once before but never bought from them. Usually you can find an ok price a day or two beforehand on Stubhub because people are just trying to recoup what they can at that point instead of price gouging.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Guys you can all stop worrying.

Steve Ott has scored his first goal as a Blue.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Mike_V posted:

Ken Hitchcock decides he doesn't want to end the Blues losing streak tonight:

I would be more concerned about this if he didn't end up switching the lines back to something more reasonable after like 15 minutes anyway. Just have to hope the team hasn't given up 2-3 goals in the meantime.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

bewbies posted:

Marty stands on his head to steal a win for the Blues, sets a new record for shutouts in a career

I was at the game and I don't think he had to work that hard tonight. The Blues' defense was playing very disciplined in front of him and refusing to let the Avs get clean chances on most of the rebounds put out. Still a good performance all around, but I think "stealing a win" is being somewhat hyperbolic.

Also, I'm disappointed that no one was around to post something stupid like "The butler did it," when Chris Butler scored his (very nice) goal tonight.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Tarasenko has to be up there. That shot was just unreal, both the speed of release and the accuracy.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Brian Elliott is back and is starting tonight. Blues haven't made a decision on what to do with three goalies, and I don't know who's scratched and who's the backup tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Elliott had a very good game in his return. The team in front of him, less so.

• Locked thread