Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands
More on Slava Voynov

@curtiszupke
Lombardi didn't appear to have an explanation for Voynov when reporters tried to ask him.

What the hell, indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

tofes posted:

gently caress the Kings

@reallisa
Talked to Lombardi - no change in Voynov status

Even more baffling. Why is he allowed on the ice?

lisa dillman @reallisa
Just got on the ice early - DL thought it would be good for Voynov to be around teammates for the day

Hmm.

Heaf fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 2, 2014

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Number19 posted:

I adapted a classic poem for SAS this morning:

I met a traveller from a frozen land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the tundra. Near them, on the snow,
Half sunken, a shattered visage lies,
whose smile,
and upraised arms, and joy from scoring goals,
Tell that it's sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The team that thrilled them and the Cups they won:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Gretzkymandius, champ of champs: Look on my Cups, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of the colossal wreck, trophy case bare
The losses and ruined teams stretch far away."

I hope you like it.

I like this

ThinkTank posted:

Lebrun reports that Bryz is on a tryout with the Ducks and is expected to sign a contract in a few days assuming all goes well.

Jason LaBarbera is out for an extended period of time with a broken arm. Eric Brewer, who played all of two games for the Ducks, is out 4-6 weeks with a broken foot. John Gibson should be ready mear the end of the month, but I imagine he'll get sent back to Norfolk for a rehab assignment. Bryz is back!

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Anaheim trades busted prospect Jesse Blacker to Florida for AHL puck-mover Colby Robak and a conditional pick. If Robak plays against the Wild, he will be the 13th defenseman the Ducks have used this year. I like the trade from Anaheim's perspective; Robak is not a disaster in terms of possession and can score a bit. He's a nice addition to the bottom pairing.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

toe knee hand posted:

Emerson Etem has mumps. I wonder if it's going to go around the AHL now, too.

We haven't heard about any of these players' families or friends getting it... would that info just not have gotten out?

Etem played in one game upon reassignment, and has been scratched since. He did not travel this week with the team on their road trip. I believe Minnesota's Keith Ballard was the first guy to actually get the mumps; it wasn't the hullabaloo it is now.

Corey Perry went down tonight with either a leg or knee injury..from Keith Ballard. Perry will travel with the team. I don't know if he plays Sunday against the Jets, Wednesday against the Oilers might be more likely.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

The Dirty Burger posted:

Speaking of Jets prospects, Connor Hellebyuck is lighting it up in the AHL. The post-Pavelec era is going to be interesting to watch between him and Hutchinson

Eric Comrie is a prospect worth watching for the Jets as well. Currently sports a .924 with Tri-City of the WHL; got a few games in St. John's at the end of last season. He was pretty bad in those, though it was first time playing professional hockey.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

I am pretty excited to watch Ilya Bryzgalov in net tomorrow night. He should be a fun part of the revolving door that is Norfolk goaltending!

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

toe knee hand posted:

The "best defenseman" discussion yesterday encouraged me to work out some numbers I remembered seeing last season.

Here is all-situations shot attempts for each team, along with the player who is on the ice for the most shot attempts for that team, and what percentage of the team's shot attempts he's on for.

Some names on there surprised me, like Severson, Trouba, and Hartnell who is the only forward on the list who isn't a superstar.

It mainly just reflects usage.

Usage is definitely reflected. A lot of those defenseman are the main PP QBs on their team and therefore on the ice for more shot-attempts. If you did it at 5v5 (assuming this chart is all situations), it might be a bit different.

Austrian mook posted:

Is he starting out in the A? This is going to be Andersen's 16 start in a row or something ridiculous like that and honestly, he's not a guy I want starting that many games.

Bryz is doing a conditioning stint this week, at least tomorrow. The upcoming away back-to-back is troubling. Andersen shouldn't have to start both of those games and Bobkov is not a good goaltender. If Bryz plays on Friday, I could see him being sent to Winnipeg after the game. Problem is that he'd then be in the back-to-back situation. I could definitely see Andersen playing all three games. No goalie should play that many games in a row.

Heaf fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 10, 2014

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Bryz didn't play last night for Norfolk, but Yann Danis did get in a 37-save shutout. In more hilarious news, Dany Heatley will be rehabbing with Norfolk this weekend. Surprisingly good d-man Josh Manson was sent back as well, meaning Ben Lovejoy should be good to go this weekend. Oh yeah Jason Labarbera is healthy, but whatever.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Ilya Bryzgalov was solid tonight, 32/34. Dany Heatley was super loving bad goddamn. Why is he still given money to play hockey?

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Krime posted:

Because 24/7 exposed him for a goofy, lovable, card.

The NHL hates personality and someone who won't "take it serious" 1000% of the time.

I don't think Heatley was ever on 24/7.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Buffalo is somehow being buoyed by Michael Neuvirth posting a .920 and Jonas Enroth posting a .916. I think I saw something about the Sabres wanting to move one of them.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

This just happened!

Pittsburgh Penguins @penguins
Beau Bennett has been diagnosed with the mumps.
More updates will be provided as they become available.

The Islanders also postponed their trip to a children's hospital: https://twitter.com/EyeOnHockey/status/544954160114712576

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

Isn't the AHL supposed to be moving into California or something

Yes, there is talk of the AHL West. I think attendance (while a real issue) provided a real scapegoat to get the Oilers out to California, where they wanted to go.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Clayton Stoner deserved some discipline. The league is fickle as poo poo.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

sedative posted:

Steve Mason is out for at least two games

I hope we get back-to-back starting goaltender Ray Emery just to see what happens.

Philly can either call up Rob Zepp, a dude who kinda washed out before spending several productive years in Europe, or Anthony Stolarz, a very promising prospect. I think they'll go with Zepp, giving Stolarz more game time.

Good news, Habs fans

@renlavoietva
#canadiens recall Sven Andrighetto and Joey MacDonald. #tvasports

Heaf fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 19, 2014

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

fits posted:

Once someone clears waivers they can be assigned to the AHL at a later date, it doesn't have to be right away. Stalberg can stay in Nashville for a certain period of days/games without having to clear waivers to be demoted

After 10 games or thirty days on the NHL roster, Stalberg would have to clear waivers again. Decent guide to waivers can be found here .

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Jedimastafez posted:

Gibson left tonights Ads game "feeling nauseous" so um the Ducks mumps curse strikes again?

I don't know if I believe this one hundred per cent. Gibson left the game after a series of saves that definitely tested his groin/lateral movement. Dennis McEwen, who does color for Ads games, mentioned that he saw Gibson slower to get up after each stop in play. Apparently, Gibson was also instructed not to talk to the media and in the postgame skate with fans. Not exactly signs of a dude being sick.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Pat Clements posted:

It's also possible he had a stomach bug and that each test of his "groin" brought him one step closer to Luongo-ing his pants

It is. Holiday break started Sunday for Norfolk, anyway.

@latimespugmire
To the question of John Gibson's health status in Norfolk, high ranking team source tells me the goalie is fine.

Well, that's good.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Rick Kowlasky is coaching tonight for Albany against Syracuse.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Misanthrope posted:

Justin Schultz should be in the AHL... possibly the ECHL... Possibly div 3 in Italy if that even exists.

Is there an African hockey league? Justin Schultz should be on the 3rd pairing for Namibia.

Gabe Guentzel plays for the Swiss Second League and Justin Schultz is at least that good. In retrospect, Anaheim is just fine with Schultz not signing with the Ducks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Trevor Bird posted:

interesting fact: nashville set an attendance record on a tuesday night game against the blues. 17,401, almost 300 over capacity. pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UmRGkZ8-rQ

here's the 2 defensemen on a shorthanded 2 on 1 mentioned earlier. josi just takes off whenever he wants.

Speaking of which, Bjugstad's deal reminds me of Roman Josi. Granted, Josi signed his extension after his ELC expired--but it was a 7-year deal at $4M AAV. Cam Fowler signed his extension at the beginning of his third year, for the same price. Bjugstad is in the last year of his ELC, so this is a bit of trying to avoid RFA stuff, too? Really, you just have to hope he maintains his consistency.

• Locked thread