Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thufir posted:

The Hurricanes are wearing white jerseys at home tomorrow night for some reason.

They play like an AHL team, might as well look like one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thufir posted:

I hope someone told Nashville's equipment guy ahead of time so it doesn't end up like this http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/10/29/7129527/iowas-ahl-team-brought-the-wrong-jerseys-to-their-game-vs-milwaukee

Looks like normal rat hockey, just missing the random assholes wearing yellow and red so no one's ever quite sure which team they're on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

I wish NBCSN had a boner for Marty Brodeur like ESPN does for LeBron/Johnny Football/Favre/Danica/Tiger/The Yankees/The Sawx, because Marty's STL debut is a game I would watch amidst my CBJ-related hockey doldrums.

Their next game is against Chicago.. WEDNESDAY NIGHT RIVALRY.

So it could actually happen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well he's not wrong, if you have the puck, someone is going to hit you.

Unfortunately he doesn't seem to have realized that "puck possession" refers to the team, not the individual. If your dudes are getting crushed constantly then maybe they should loving pass the puck once in a while. Tire out the other team chasing you around.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

Huge power outage at the Joe right now. Red Wings' practice is canceled, who knows what will happen tonight.

Some fat cat team exec is all "SEE? We totally need a new arena! This proves it!"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A bankrupt city having problems with infrastructure? I'm shocked.

Or not shocked, because there's no power.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vincent Van Goat posted:

I can't remember, have they played any teams with mumpy players recently? I know they haven't played the Blues, and they played the Ducks for the opener, but I feel like there's another team that had it.

This is why the game needs enforcers, as their role is diminished in an era where everyone is paranoid about concussions teams are seeking new weapons to limit the effectiveness of star players.

Biological warfare was inevitable. This is what we get for taking away the punchmen!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

onemillionzombies posted:

Blues should probably delegate all goalie decisions to an impartial 3rd party, it would honestly be far better for them.

I like this idea, hockey forums around the internet should be a good place to look for talent. That gives them a pool of thousands of people who at least think they know everything about hockey to build a team from.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Revoke their cup, etch the Blackhawks in their stead.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fateo McMurray posted:

You already have one asterisk cup why not two!

Leading the league in asterisks, gently caress you got mine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got a great idea! Let's take all the things people hate about jerseys and use them at the same time!

And anything on jerseys that people enjoy? Get rid of it. We'll sell billions!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

They should have the all star teams dress up like beer leaguers so you have team "white" and "other" and everyone can wear sweatpants

Skate laces instead of shin tape.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What is it about guys with B's and Z's in their name that makes them dirtbags?

We need to get some scientists on this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One thing that's actually awesome about this season's all star game:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/12/buffalo-sabres-zemgus-girgensons-all-star-latvia

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Obviously we need some young gun to take a run at Brodeur and forcibly end his career. But which team will step up and do what needs to be done?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

why would you want to rob us non-St.Louis fans of brodeur????

Because no one keeps up on their vaccinations and the last thing the league needs is for Brodeur to spread around the league more than he has.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

davecrazy posted:

Marty is a national treasure, shut your whore mouth!

He was two years ago. Now he's the NHL's Brett Favre.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

if you don't want to see Marty give a third of the league syphilis and butthole herpes, then why do you even watch the NHL?

I'm in it for the cab driver punching, really. The NHL offers something for everyone!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Losing Crawford isn't a huge deal, both backups Chicago has are about as good.

Granted he's putting up great numbers this year and injuries suck, but he's probably the most expendable player they have right now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Overwined posted:

Yes but I bet MJ can't skate backwards.

But he has better baseball stats than the hockey MJ has hockey stats.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So is Versteeg actually good this year, or is he just getting awesome chances because of his linemates, or is it ~*chemistry*~?

His play doesn't seem to have improved to my eye, but he's sure been on a tear the past few games.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I thought he was always a pretty good player and just had a bad season last year?

I didn't like him when he was on the team the first time either though. :iiam:

I won't argue against him being "pretty good" but he doesn't seem to have any standout trait.. not blazing fast, can have issues controlling the puck.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Excelzior posted:

it's been the Oiler's M.O. for what, 6 years now? at what point does it stop being "tanking" and veers off into "being a lovely organization through and through"

Right around the point that fans finally stop buying tickets and the team is losing money.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Xtanstic posted:

With accompanying video:

Marked private. :qq:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

loving table, won't carry its weight and has a wobbly leg too.

Word is they're signing a new table from Sweden, goes by the name Bjorkudden.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DOOMocrat posted:

Ryane Clowe's dad just got charged by the Noof Provincial PD for involvement in a cocaine trafficking ring.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/04/ryane-clowes-father-charged-in-cocaine-trafficking-probe/

Travel hockey is expensive, dad probably just needed some extra cash to get by and was unable to quit once his son got drafted.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, drafting is the Oilers' biggest problem.

It has nothing to do with a bunch of NHL talent playing the game like it's open skate on a weekend. Nope, absolutely nothing wrong with training and coaching.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sba posted:

this, but unironically

They've produced a TOTAL of 16 goals from their non-first round picks since 2008. That's lovely depth, and non-assets they could have used in trades to improve the roster. It's a huge problem.

As a comparison, the Blackhawks have gotten 140 goals from those picks.

Yes, but my point is the organization is broken from top to bottom. They shouldn't fixate on just the drafting issue when there's so much else going wrong too. Start work now developing a coaching system that actually works, so by the time they resolve the drafting and start getting some decent players there's actually a competent system for the new guys to fit into.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What the hell happened in that game? I saw the penalty list in some reddit post, and forgot to check up on what the story behind it was.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

I really liked Klinkhammer during his short stint in Ottawa, and I'm glad he stuck in Phoenix. I think he'll be a good addition to the Pens' bottom 6. He plays a fun aggressive style without being an idiot about it.

I liked watching him in Rockford, too. Sucks he only got one game with the Blackhawks, and it was in the season after the 2010 cup so I don't think he really got a fair shot because relatively speaking the team was a mess that year.

Also I like saying his name, his name loving owns.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Corey Perry could be the second coming of christ and it wouldn't matter because he's the one thing that all of SAS can hate together. We may disagree about everything else in the universe, but not that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The funny part about dumb Blackhawks fans in Nashville was there was a pair of them behind the Blackhawks penalty box last night, and whenever a Chicago player got a penalty you could see the woman taunting him. Lady, I'm not sure you know what it means to be a fan because that's certainly not how you do it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DJExile posted:

Flyers one is accurate

They should have had the Bruins one too though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's highly unlikely that professional athletes are dumber as a group than the rest of humanity. Yes there's some real idiots in the NHL, but there's some really smart people out there too. Most of them are probably average folks who just happen to get paid a lot of money to play a game. The ratios probably match up pretty well with the stupidity rates in the normal world.

Carcillo is a putz of a hockey player, but he is showing improvement. Instead of flinging his body at other players like a mortar attack he just cross checks everyone and runs his mouth a lot. He's even started showing some ability to produce offense which is a big surprise. I could see teammates appreciate having a guy with his energy in the locker room.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In other more interesting news, Vrbata did this yesterday and it was amazing.

http://gfycat.com/DearestWhisperedHuia

"I laugh at your feeble poke checks, assholes."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

John Scott's life goal is to do a Christmas video for all 30 teams then retire.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dominator posted:

The Blackhawks sent Jeremy Morin to Rockford for a "Conditioning Assignment" this morning

"Listen shitheel, stop sassing the team paying your salary to the press. Enjoy another stint in the AHL you scrub."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

supposedly five teams have already called to ask about him in a trade so I think he will be enjoying the NHL instead

The fun part is Chicago doesn't really need anything.. so he'll probably get traded for AHL filler and draft picks.

Which is good because Chicago can't afford to take on any new salary either, they gotta make room for this summer's nuclear meltdown.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wonder if that comes from the fact that they spend half their career in a hotel somewhere.

"You know what, after I retire I think I want to buy a hotel and DO IT RIGHT because these shitstains always mess something up, how hard can it be??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Please tell me it's a zoetrope and the palm trees dance.

• Locked thread