Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

darkwolf220 posted:

So, if not Brodeur, what is the biggest creep show story?

Bernie Nicholls once sent my wife (who was attempting to use Twitter for the first time) lewd DMs within 30 seconds of following his account. Literally, 30 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Boomer The Cannon posted:

At this rate, they'll be getting The Full Lokomotiv Experience.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

I tried having this discussion with someone on Twitter but as it turns out the guy was a complete Bill Wirtz (yes, BILL) fanboy so I'll ask some of you here:

Forbes today released a list that says approximately 6 teams account for 76% of the NHL's operating income. The interesting member of that group is the Chicago Blackhawks, but not for their present ability to print money.

Back in 2006, at the franchise's nadir - the team was worth $179m. In 9 years, that valuation now stands at an astounding $823m. We all know the story: you have to draft high & also get lucky. Chicago did that, they got a Hull & Mikita for a new generation, Bill dies, Rocky makes amends, HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN! But what if those picks had turned into James Sheppard and Kyle Turris? Drafting can be a crapshoot. Chicago got lucky by choosing those exact two players, there are a multitude of other factors but the catalyst for everything that went right for Chicago was drafting Toews and Kane. One could argue the team's fortunes literally would have been affected.

Full disclosure, I became a fan of hockey starting in 2009. I wasn't around for the days of 7,000 people at United Center. So, let's assume it's 2008 and the Hawks miss on Toews and Kane - your team still stinks after 2 years of being close/drafting 1st overall, but you don't have the constant attendance revenue well a team like Edmonton has to see them through the crap years. You can't move the team, and you can't shut them down. They are an "Original 6" team in the fan's eyes. How much worse could it have been? The situation is relevant to all 29 teams due to revenue sharing. Could the NHL have forced Wirtz out?

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 2, 2014

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Drunk Canuck posted:

Could, yes.

Would they have? Hell loving no.

My point being, how much longer could the NHL afford for one of their premier marques to be in such bad shape? How does that franchise turnaround without Toews and Kane?

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Drunk Canuck posted:

(Just imagining what Campbell and Keith would've done if they stuck together, yeesh)

I'm still surprised to this day that one of the 8 teams listed on Brian Campbell's NTC that he WOULD accept a trade to included the Florida Panthers. Dale Tallon or not, I've never seen a guy so loving happy to get paid big money while being ejected out of the hockey universe.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Former Oilers prospect Toby Rieder just scored 2 shorthanded goals in the span of approximately one minute for the Coyotes against the Oilers.

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 2, 2014

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

AsInHowe posted:

Essentially, the NHL went from five absolute money-draws to twelve, plus four or five more solid teams. The whole system has shifted forward.

The interesting thing is that Forbes is basically saying the opposite. I certainly don't disagree with your evidence, but Forbes is basically saying Leafs, Habs, B'hawks, Bruins, Rangers, Canucks keep the league going.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Bruce Boudreau admitted in an interview aired during tonight's Ducks game that he didn't know who Corey Perry was before becoming head coach. I don't blame him for being confused, I'm mostly surprised the opening exchange didn't go like this:

Perry: How are you, Coach?
Boudreau: Thanks, Fuckass.
Perry: Pardon?
Boudreau: That's your name, right? It's the only phrase I've heard my players use to refer to you.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

"What was the war like, Grandpa?"

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

IT'S A MARTY PARTY

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Can we even prove it was Voynov on the ice?

Yeah, there's a photo of him. Dean Lombardi said something to the effective of "I thought Voyov needed to be around his teammates?"

Kings are now apparently claiming that since the skate this morning was an optional one, that it was somehow okay for Voynov to skate.

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 2, 2014

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

I mean, I think the extent of this will be a pretty hefty fine and a rebuke from NYC, but it's not like Dean Lombardi is going to be put in prison for 50 years.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Did Marty's new mask have a previous life as a Edmonton Oilers mask?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Pat Clements posted:

If the League really wanted this to stick they'd pull their salary cap relief back. After all, it's clear the Kings consider him to be a part of the team - they wouldn't let a random dude skate in the optional practice, right?

The Kings sometimes let local schlubs get involved at their practice facility.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

tofes posted:

Lombardi is the guy who said his biggest concern about Voynov beating his wife was that a felony charge could damage Voynov's career so v:shobon:v

I'm not going to argue that Dean said something very much to this effect, because he did, but it also should be noted that the guy gives the longest answers of anyone currently managing a pro sports team. In that same conversation he called people who hit their wives "rats". Now, today's actions of course paint a very troubling picture. Obviously, the Kings are attempting to strictly define the borders of Voynov's suspension, perhaps as some larger legal strategy.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

RIP M. Béliveau.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Ginette Reno posted:

LOOK AT THIS GUY GOOD CHRISTIAN BOY RIGHT HERE there ya go!

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Here's Gordie and Jean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unuiLfW2EFI

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

"This team is going somewhere once you're gone, Glen. Hell yes." -- En Francais

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

This is the moment Torey Krug took a shot on net, Jonathan Quick got over to make the save.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Xtanstic posted:

Yessss the Michael Farber piece on Subban is finally up on the SI website:
http://www.si.com/vault/2014/11/24/106672559/you-cant-stay-angry-at-pk-subban

Do you know where I can find more archived pieces by Michael Farber? I've never really read his work other than hearing him described as hockey's best writer. I'd love to read as much as possible but Googling his work has come up fairly short.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For a bit of nostalgia I was watching one of the, you know, GOOD 24/7 series (Rangers/Flyers) and it's pretty incredible that of all the games they might shoot, the HBO cameras picked up what is now a career-ending hit - Phaneuf on Michael Sauer. I certainly hope his symptoms are gone, it's just incredible to me that one hit like that could end your run for good.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Oilers have a called a press conference for tomorrow morning. Wait 'til you hear about the great deals for Xmas now available at the Oilers team store!

AsInHowe posted:

Gordie Howe is being taken off life support. I heard directly from the family.

That's awful, I assume you're close with the Howe family?

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 5, 2014

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

These are apparently the Kings' Stadium Series uniforms:

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

I would put Giordano as a Norris AND a Hart finalist at this point.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Would it be a funny thing or a lovely thing to do if the team I work for started mentioning each game how many more fans are in attendance than that night's Florida Panthers/Arizona Coyotes game?

I work for the Ontario (California) Reign in the ECHL. There were 8,970 in attendance tonight, and the Reign currently average 8,135 per game. If we were an AHL team, we would have the second highest average attendance behind Hersey. It's pretty fun to see the looks on people's faces when I mention that a team 60 miles east of Los Angeles that has no real "hockey culture" to speak of draws so well.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

I know the man has cancer, but thank you for giving us the opportunity to hear Brian Murray say the name "Cody Ceci".

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Happy 25th Birthday, Drew Doughty!

What a weeaboo.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

There will be an NHL team in Las Vegas for the 2016-17 season. I'd be willing to bet real money on this (har)

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 9, 2014

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Potential Las Vegas NHL owner William Foley wants the team to be called the Las Vegas Black Knights.

Games would primarily be Sunday afternoon, Tuesday nights, and Thursdays.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

This is a serious health issue, the CDC needs to get involved in a meaningful capacity STAT.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

evenworse username posted:

Time to send in Rene Russo and Dustin Hoffman

Finger it, put your finger on the phone. Finger on the phone.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Beau Bennett has mumps symptoms - make it 14!

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

LOL MacTavish is going to coach on an interim basis.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

Let's be honest, he was far from the entirety of the problem, but Eakins was doing an abysmal job of coaching this team.

Local chef fired for serving rotten meat to customers by owners who knew said meat was rotten.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Sad to see a hockey player in such dire straits that he can't afford clothes for his family..

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

tofes posted:

Marleau family pictures are the best

He manages a group of fine shirtless boys®.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

The greatest Dreger impression ever:

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

LOL, whatever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

The giant numbers are due to the fact that the game is being played outside and the players are basically a mile away from the fans and broadcasters.

• Locked thread