Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

For a player with the assist totals of Oates you think possession would be intuitive for him. I don't think a former player has gone from hero to zero without criminal proceedings like Oates has for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Twin Cinema posted:

Paiement was an actual good player for a stretch, even if he never did much to warrant his name being remembered.

I have no idea who the other players are.

How dare you besmirch second overall pick, future super star and inevitable saviour of the Colorado Rockies defenceman Barry Beck!

Twin Cinema posted:

Has a great player ever become a great coach?

I can only think of Larry Robinson. Toe Blake and others, but I donno if you wanna count olden time hockey players.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 2, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

toxicsunset posted:

I'm glad bortuzzo did what needed to be done

Ham-fisted, unimaginative, no real finish. 1 of 10, in honour of how many concussions Crosby has left until retirement.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 3, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Lecavalier on the market, eh? Canadiens victory lap program commencing. System Failure. System Failure. System Failure. Press 1 to reboot.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

soggybagel posted:

Since when has Corey Perry cleaned up his act? Also SAS has laughed at multiple athletes stupid deaths. Like that Yankees guy who crashed his plane.

Torre! Torre! Torre!

Rest In Peace, (gently caress) Corey Lidle.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 6, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

There was that alien-looking Cincinatti Bengals player (receiver?) that was riding around in the back of a truck and fell out. What about that basketball player that killed that shrub that goon then went and memorialized? Not sure he died, though. We aren't saying we want gently caress Corey Perry dead, per se. Just thàt we no longer want him to live.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

The Oilers are back, baby.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Dallas Eakins was sweatin' bullets with 6 seconds on the clock.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Ginette Reno posted:

Derrick Pouliot has 16 points in 19 games in the AHL. I hope the Pens hold onto him.

Will they realistically ever call him up this year? He has been ~ppg the whole season. A certain fantasy team would love to see him get a chance to test his chops in the bigs.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Yea Day-har is the ultimate "top 6 yet replaceable" piece. Perfectly capable, but not a star. Good at lots of things, great at none. The kind of player you are quite happy to have in your top 6 until a younger player forces him out. He's an advanced-level placeholder. The problem with DD is that while he can certainly adjust to a bottom 6 role, you can't really adjust his price tag. Do you really wanna pay 4.5 million bucks a year for a talented 3rd liner? Are you happy with a logjam at forward (injury depth, theoretically increases competition, but also reduces playing time and line continuity) or would you rather try and extract value for a commodity and plug a hole elsewhere (maybe a middle pairing defenceman who doesn't use sharpened anchors for skates)? I myself an uncertain.

An aside of sorts, but I am always, generally, in favour of loading up on defensive depth. NHL-quality depth defencemen (even the fringe ones) only really show their value in June when half your team is dead or dying and you want someone who is at least theoretically capable of more than "making GBS threads the bed" in terms of defensive strategy. With this in mind, I don't mind the Allen/Gonchar etc moves. I also don't fault a team much for cycling through all the different players they have, giving them a chance to prove their ability/get some real competition time in. That's what the regular season is for, presumably.

The true :psyduck: re: our defensive lineup will be if our old, slow depth additions are still stealing roster spots from Beaulieu (and maybe Tinordi. I'm not convinced he's not just Allen 10 years younger) come the stretch run and playoffs.

I mean, Beaulieu as a rookie last year still played in almost half of Montreal's playoff games (after making it into only 17 games total during the regular season). This year he has already appeared in 15 games. My assumption of progress is that he would slot in for ~75% of Montreal's (theoretical) playoff games this season. Compare this with Dog Murray who played 53(!) games for us last regular season, but only 3 in the playoffs. I'm ok with that kind of asset management.

I aint no Therrien fan, but I would still rather have a coach who is overly cautious wrt roster changes than one prone to panic.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 10, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

fancy stats posted:

He's actually been the one of the best, if not the best, possession defenseman on the team this season when he's played, at least when you factor in usage (admittedly, pretty small sample size, but still impressive). Every game I've seen him play, he's surprised me with his passing and ability to pinch and not get embarrassed, especially with how he's sold. His puck-movement is pretty underrated at this point.

Yea I was overstating things a touch. I haven't compared the fancy stats lately, but I do like Tinordi - I'm just not sure if he will ever be more than "capable #4 d-man". And he very well may already be better than Allen will ever be for us. I also feel Tinordi is/was a bit more "plug and play" than Beaulieu in that he can still be effective on a shift or in a game even if he never touches the puck. Not to say that Beaulieu can't play without the puck, but his skills are more geared to getting touches and being involved. (Obviously.)

All this is to say I agree with the assessment that Montreal's D is not running at optimal production, but that given how last season developed in terms of usage I just don't think it is a big deal (yet). Rather, I am inclined to feel there is intent behind it that has a certain logic. Again, if Beaulieu and Tinordi are still sucking Hamilton air come springtime my tune will change. In the meantime, you may as well see what your new additions can offer.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Jagr obviously playing the long con and is gonna remain active till Las Vegas gets a team so he can sign immediately with them to an indefinitely renewing contract. Is there a mandatory retirement age in Nevada?

Good god I would buy the poo poo out of a Jagr Las Vegas Gamblers sweater. With a C (it stands for Cash).

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 14, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

and also

brb gone to LA to castrate Voynov with my teeth.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Maybe Gordie's family member doesn't care for AsinHowe either and wanted to ruin his e-cred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

How many hot dogs do you eat?

• Locked thread