Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Sidequests. definitely.

Melphina looks freakin neat. Shimmery blue spheres just hanging out above the town.

Roobanguy posted:

i like to imagine he stuck his hand out for a high five after saying this.

Rush really does seem like that kind of goof. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Roobanguy posted:

i like to imagine he stuck his hand out for a high five after saying this.

Both his hands.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

More sidequests, maybe it'll finally get that Spark V on David to spark or finally fill the xp bucket to get it, however it works, it's a saga game after all.

Renzyal
Aug 4, 2013
Let's kick some sidequesting rear end.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
Sidequest it up unless the sidequests would make you level too much or however the BR system in this game works

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Onmi posted:

Do the Side Quests, all now, get that delicious art XP.

I think at some point they might have intended for Ophelia to be an exclusive party member opposite Roberto (You can add her in with a cheat engine) but no. You either get Roberto or you gently caress up and get a useless Key Item that does nothing. Get Roberto. Cool old dudes are cool.

That's part of the reason why not to side with her, yes. I actually never picked up Roberto on my first playthrough, but I am this time. I don't know if I'll actually USE him, there's going to be a lot of competition for the 15-18 slots in the party, and even stiffer competition for the 4-5 leader slots. I may rotate people in and out.

booksnake posted:

Rush really does seem like that kind of goof. :allears:

Because he is.

mmj posted:

Sidequest it up unless the sidequests would make you level too much or however the BR system in this game works

I don't believe that will be a problem. I want to be approximately BR 40 by the end of "Disc 1", and I am BR 20-21 now. Let's just say that we're closer to the end of Disc 1 than the start. The morale gauge indicates that all the fights I've been in suggest that I'm below the expected BR. If I have the time, I'll play ahead without recording just to check, but I believe I'll actually fight some more things just to gain BR, in fact.

I recorded some more stuff today, and I managed to accomplish a pretty difficult (and optional) feat on my second try, which was pretty satisfying.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Talk to everyone. By which I mean "do sidequests."

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, they needed to tone down the intensity a little in a game with this many sidequests.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Glazius posted:

Man, they needed to tone down the intensity a little in a game with this many sidequests.

Sidequest burnout can be a problem. I got burned out a couple times, had to come back after a while and just hop into the main plot.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah, there are a lot of sidequests in the game. If you were to just skip them all and only do the main plot, you could probably blaze through the game in 12-15 hours. Well, assuming you could survive the battles which are scaled thinking that you are doing some of them.

Most of the sidequests are in the first half of the game. And I am counting the simple Khrynia-type ones as sidequests. So up to this point we've actually done about 40% of the total sidequests in the game. A lot of the sidequests in the game expire at the end of "Disc 1", and if you let certain ones expire, there might "bad consequences" later on. I do like the sidequests though, they tend to be interesting and tied into the world lore, or linked together in a quest chain.

On my first playthrough I stopped for a while midway, but that's something I usually do with games that take me longer than a month anyway.

I'm still working on the update, unfortunately. Some stuff kept me busy last week. I HAD been trying to produce shorter updates sooner, except the "sooner" part didn't happen. I think though, that before the main plot, I might do a housekeeping update where I go around and do some guild tasks I've been neglecting - specifically, the ones which will get me a higher rank in the guild, if only so I can bitch about how the game never tells you what ones will give you a higher rank. In that one, I'll also collect some materials for party members and show off our new units in battle.

The update should be up tomorrow. I've determined that I can only fit in one sidequest, so all I have to do is upload the images, then encode and upload the videos.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 23, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

And they wail so loud, already, it’s as if my head would burst

Your Triumph Belt is impressive… Yet it would be even more so in my possession. What do you think?
…Sure, you can borrow it.
You have my eternal gratitude. It shall be used spectacularly.

Rush, I have need of a Large Feather. Have we the time to obtain one?
Sure, no prob.
Thank you. Then let’s not waste any time.

What kind of task?
Do you know the Catacombs in the nation of Elysion? It’s said they hold a treasure hundreds of years old. The treasure is an ancient book, outlining the forbidden process of how to bring back the dead. Legend has it that the Forest Maidens were so worried of the book’s misuse that they sealed it away, deep within the Catacombs. You see what I’m getting at?
Yeah…
I’d appreciate your discretion… To certain persons, this may seem distressingly like grave robbery, I fear. Both our participation and mine in this endeavor would need to be kept secret.
I’m not sure this is really my thing.
I realize it seems lower than low to not do the deed myself, but… Were I to enter the Catacombs, I would have to face… them.

… “Them” who?
How can I face them, after- And they wail so loud, already, it’s as if my head would burst… It is too much for me to bear. …That’s why I need you to retrieve the Forbidden Tome. Certainly, you’ll be amply rewarded. What do you say?
Sorry, I’m no tomb raider.
…Perhaps you do not realize it, but my time is short – and worth more than you can imagine. Accept this task before I change my mind on offering it to you. Believe me, that is something you would soon regret.

A wise decision. You can never trust an Albic.
…if I don’t get it, he’ll just find someone else. Maybe if we find it we can drop it down a chasm or something?

Alright… I’ll get the book.
Ohh! I’d hoped from the look of you that you’d understand my need. You surpass even my expectations. The Forbidden Tome is hidden deep within the Catacombs. It’s said that many fierce and fearsome beasts have taken the area for their lairs… Be certain to stay on your guard.
Accepted quest: A voice from the Past

Music: Creeping Shadows

- Quest Video: A Voice from the Past

A white qsiti wants me to get him the Forbidden Tome that's been sealed for hundreds of years. Apparently, it's in the Catacombs somewhere.

Looks like there’s a new path open.

The rubble blocking this door has now been cleared off.

This place is similar to the eastern area, but more complicated.

These lizards are typically very aggressive, and there’s little room to dodge, so I’m just going to save myself the headache and fight them on my terms.

And I even got a bonus albic into the mix.

This missed everything else – as I said, the range is pretty short.

This attack is new. Clearly it has a chance to inflict paralysis. Even though the status only seemed to land on one unit, that looks like enough to disable it for the union.

Still, any chance to improve Rush’s Remedies is welcome. I believe your progress to the next art in the chain is improved by using arts which are higher-level than the base, so a cast of Refresh will help a lot more than Restore V.

Blocter learns a new 1H art. I’m trying to get him into the Warrior class, which requires both skill with One-Handed and Power Grip.

Because of this block, we were unable to finish off this union with Gabriel’s weak-rear end 122 damage attack.

Those guys must be pretty frickin’ weak!

That’s a surprising amount of damage for a caster unit to do with a melee attack. Shape up or ship out, Gabe.

has learned Cutting Lunge!

This room has some frogs, some debris, and two possible exits. The south-west one leads to a dead-end.

It has the map for this half. Yay.

The western half generally goes in a downward direction the farther in you get. Here’s a ladder.

Doors are never places to take chances with enemies. This guy seemed stuck, so I have to fight him.

class changed to Adept Mysticknight!

Oh good, the no-running gas is back.

A treasure chest is teased up ahead, but before that is a pretty obnoxious section.

There are a couple rooms full of gas and enemies that we have to walk through. That means fighting is unavoidable, so time your Timeshifts well to make sure you get an enemy before it runs out. Nothing good happens from letting enemies touch you, and it breaks your chain, lowering your rewards.

class changed to Adept Cavalier!

Just some herbs.

I’ll fight him too because I can’t take chances in the fog.

This dungeon has been great for getting Pagus upgrade materials.

The chest just has some crafting materials that my eyes glazed over. Most likely something I’ll never use.

Eat a dick, lizard. Too slow! Anyway, this is basically the end of this section.

This is really just the one large room at the end.

In the distance I think I can see a Millipede, which will also drop the thing Loki wants… but we can’t get it yet…

Mission: Defeat the Souleater!

This guy is nothing to write home about.

Let’s get the morale moving in the right direction.

Okay, sure that did 1600 damage, but so what?

6159 damage from that critical Cascade Strike.

Oh sure, THAT’ll save you.

Well fought!

That takes care of him.

learned Nimble Knee Splitter II!
learned Smash III!
learned Switchback!
Sonofa – I need the other one, THE OTHER ONE!

drat straight you do, Loki. (EDIT: In case you don't get it, Loki is specced as a Mystics-user, and I turn off all Combat Arts for them.)

Where’d you guys come from?

But thanks to you destroying the beast, we can finally pass on to Elysion.

There’s absolutely no explanation what the Souleater is, where it came from, why these guys souls ended up here trapped by it.

Uh… have you guys seen any tomes lying around, forbidden or otherwise?
Wh-what? You’re here looking for the Forbidden Tome!?
Mmmmaybe?
Don’t tell me. You were sent here by a white qsiti with piercing red eyes, right?

Obviously, being truthful will get us more information.

Yup, that’s him.

Once, he was the squad leader of the army division we were attached to. He was a warm and kind person, up until that battle…
Which battle?
In a battle ten years ago, on the Holy Plain, our division was completely destroyed. Only the captain made it out alive. We were on the front lines… it couldn’t be helped. But the captain was devastated, and took all blame for our deaths onto himself. We’re afraid that while we’ve been trapped down here, the captain’s soul has been eaten away. He has nightmares every night, and is tormented by phantom voices… It’s destroyed his spiritual balance. I’m sure he figures that if he can get the Forbidden Tome, he can use it to bring us back to life… that’s why he hired you.
I think so.
But that book no longer exists – not as anything but a memory, anyway. It’s been hundreds of years. The book is nothing but dust. To think that the captain is still searching for it, after so many years…

Please, could you give this to the captain? And tell him – tell him we have no regrets, so he doesn’t need to have them, either.
Okay.
Captain… Please, don’t lose yourself. Let us go…

Sorry… that book’s been dust for hundreds of years.
What!? The Forbidden Tome no longer exists!? Do not test my patience, boy! Without that book, it’s all wrong, all wrong… How am I to bring them back…!

Don’t sweat it, captain. They told me that they had no regrets, so you shouldn’t either. Here, this is for you.
That… that picture!

T-take this… take it and go! I don’t want to see that picture again, please…! My head… the pain…
Reward: 2500 G.
Obtained Picture of the Second Brigade!
Picture of the Second Brigade – A photo of Melphina’s Second Brigade. They look jovial, with their arms around each other’s shoulders.
Completed quest: A Voice from the Past

The Forbidden Tome had rotted, but I showed the qsiti the picture of his ex-comrades and he freaked out! I wonder where he's headed now.

Surprisingly, we do NOT get a Salia Stone from this quest.

So, in the end, the guy who looked like a psychotic necromancer turned out to just be a war vet with really bad PTSD. Kinda sad, really. :smith:

New Arts Summary
has learned:
  • Cutting Lunge!
  • Smash III!
class changed to Adept Mysticknight!
class changed to Adept Cavalier!
learned Nimble Knee Splitter II!
learned Switchback!

Quest: A Voice from the Past

Next time is a pretty special quest, with a LOT more dialogue – almost four full pages, single-spaced. And that’s ignoring the challenging boss battle in there as well. I doubt I would be able to fit it into this chapter, so we’re cutting this out here.

Discussion question: Who do you think says the “I'm giddy as a schoolgirl!” quote in the next chapter? (Feel free to provide fan art to bolster your claim.) :v:

Next Time: I'm giddy as a schoolgirl!

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 6, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What's wrong with Loki learning Switchback?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SSNeoman posted:

What's wrong with Loki learning Switchback?

It's not bad per-say, just kinda useless

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Onmi posted:

It's not bad per-say, just kinda useless

Specifically, it is useless because it is a Combat art and Loki is on the Mystic path. Thanks for the reminder, though. It's easy to forget that people aren't keeping as close a track of who is in what group as well as I am.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Still, any chance to improve Rush’s Remedies is welcome. I believe your progress to the next art in the chain is improved by using arts which are higher-level than the base, so a cast of Refresh will help a lot more than Restore V.

To learn the next art in a category you need to have learned all of those in the previous rank and one of them must be at least tier II. The second rank of remedies contains Refresh and Rejuvenate, which remove status ailments and stat debuffs respectively. That means you can't progress further if you never get hit by ailments or debuffs, so you should take every opportunity you have to give orders that use them, to get them to level 2 as soon as possible to get to the better arts later on. Thankfully remedies go up faster than other mystic arts so it's not so bad but it can seem to take a long time to get the next one because you use Restore so much it's already at max level.

One thing I will give this game, compared to other saga games, progress is not random when it comes to arts so you're never going to have to try futilely to spark a specific art once you meet the requirements, you're just going to get it. Fill up those invisible XP bars!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose we'll see that albic and his past again. After all, you can run from yourself, but you won't get far.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I've gotta question the necessity of them being invisible, though. People love filling up bars. It is what the mmo industry is based on.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Serious Frolicking posted:

I've gotta question the necessity of them being invisible, though. People love filling up bars. It is what the mmo industry is based on.

Oh that's just its roots as a SaGa game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

I'm giddy as a schoolgirl!

Music: A Friendly Ear

- Video: The Rainbow Bond, Part 1

As soon as we approach the bar…

Pagus...is that you?

Ohh—Maddox, isn't it? Maddox, goodness me! How long has it been? My word... What is Celapaleis's famed general doing out here? Though, actually, I'd heard you'd retired and become somewhat of a recluse.

Have you heard about Sibal? Apparently, he's come across something so incredible that you will not believe your ears.
I won't? ...No...it couldn't be...!

It is... The Arco Iris. The famed Remnant said to bring miracles to life. Goodness, we searched it for ages... My word, and the stories around it—!

Normally, the text boxes pause after each line is done, but for this next part, the next one starts automatically, conveying that he’s not pausing for breath.

used the miracles granted by the Remnant to not only survive, but conquer and absorb the surrounding kingdoms. His accomplishments from then on are the stuff of legends...
And in the end, Sibal actually saw it? He saw the Arco Iris with his own two eyes?
Indeed, that's what he says. However, I've yet to hear the particulars of how it all came about... It seems Sibal's been leading and excavation team in Royotia. Once I've a free moment, I've a mind to see what he's up to myself.
The ancient Remnant of legend, Arco Iris... To think it truly exists...! Goodness, I've got the old butterflies in my stomach—I haven't felt that in years! Once I have a chance, I'll certainly go to see Sibal!

What’s that about?
You haven’t heard? Yamas are fairly large beings, but this yama is even bigger beyond that.
You know everything!

Years ago, we and a third, Sibal, met in a seminar studying ancient civilizations. Back then, the three of us were obsessed with old legends, especially those centered around the Arco Iris. It is a famous Remnant said to have granted miracles to the people of the Old Kingdoms. And just now, Maddox says that Sibal's found the real thing. The Remnant powerful enough to create miracles... Seeing it with my own eyes has been my dream since I was a student. Rush, my boy, I realize it's the foolish conceit of an old man, but I've a personal favor to ask of you, if you've the time... Would you come with me to where Sibal is?

Sounds cool! Let’s check it out!
Thank you, lad! It's much appreciated. Sibal is in the mining capital of Royotia, south of even the great desert. Goodness, I haven't seen Sibal in years. I'm giddy as a schoolgirl!

This is Pagus’s personal quest, so of course we’re doing it. Since it’s his personal quest, he’ll be temporarily leading David’s union. (Later on I may make that permanent.)

In the Firestone pub…

Damnation, if it isn't Pagus! Cripes, you're a sight for sore eyes!

Darned tooting I do! And I've sure got reason for it, you know! I've only made the biggest discovery of the century! Pagus—you're gonna flip when you hear this, but—

Maddox! Gabbering God Emperors, you just took ten years off my life! But huh! I've got not only one of Athlum's Four Generals come to see me, but an ex-general of the Celapaleian Army! The star power!

The Arco Iris is a Remnant that takes the form of a seven-colored light. The old stories say that the guy what had it was granted all kinds of miracles. As for me... Well, I was digging in Siebenbur not long ago, when out of the blue, I'm hit by this dazzling beam of light. Thing is, I was deep underground, way past any place the sun could hit, see? It's just like all the history books said... A rainbow of light shot straight over my head. I...I can't even begin to describe how beautiful it was... Something that stunning could only be the work of the gods.
Come now, are you certain you didn't just spend too much time underground and started seeing things? Lack of oxygen, perhaps?
Whaaat? You calling me a liar!?
Maddox, Sibal, please! Let's try to act our age, shall we? Still. To think that the Remnant of Miracles is real... Sibal, you've been able to taste a part of a legend over 640 years old. Dear me, you've really done something incredible!"
If we go there, we should be able to see the Arco Iris as well, correct?
Reckon so. Just, you can't right now. Some huge monster's taken the place as its lair. Until somebody cleans the place out, you've got more of a chance of seeing the inside of the monster's belly than seeing the Arco Iris.

Then call me 'the Cleaninator'!

But if you think you can underestimate this bugger, you're in for a rude surprise, kiddo. The miners of Royotia—no slouches in the physical power department—have tangled with the thing more than a couple times... They haven't won once. Don't go off half-cocked, alright, kid? You'll regret it.
Accepted quest: The Rainbow Bond

- Dungeon Video: The Fifth Path

Music: Labyrinth

There are enough of these “Path” dungeons to get their own theme.

Siebenbur – The Fifth Path: An underground cavern that has been maintained from the days of the Imperator. It has entrances from every region, though no one knows why this is so.

The Remnant of Miracles, the Arco Iris, was spotted in Siebenbur, but that place is crawling with monsters.

The Siebenbur caves are a mix of tunnels and old ruins. Each Path is laid out a little differently, and looks slightly different (well, maybe not so different that you could tell them apart with a look).

This is going to sting a little. The funny thing is that I’m only fighting these guys because I thought Emma wanted a drop from them. But she’s since gotten a weapon upgrade past the point of wanting this material. I can’t remember picking up a new weapon, so maybe that is the automatic upgrade system in action for when people get tired of you not getting their stuff.

It was really lucky that the first one only did 400 damage, because the second Hammerspin did almost 925.

We’re at a fork, which prompts a cutscene.

Darned tooting we will! Like we could just leave Pagus alone in a dangerous place like this! ...'Sides, we can't let Pagus and the kid walk off with all the glory, eh?
...Alright. Into the breach! To the Arco Iris.

Ameobas aren’t technically tough to evade, but they fade in and out of visibility, which can make them tough to spot until you’re right on top of them.

Let’s take a shortcut down.

We need to go to this dead-end in the northeast.

Don't tell me he's already taken out the monster!
Mmm, that would be an astonishing feat indeed! Of course, as the former general of Celapaleis's Third Division, defeating monsters like this would be as easy as taking candy from a baby...
RAAAARGH!!!

Lavafender's blustering hells...! I heard the monster was supposed to be big, but this is just ridiculous!

Maddox! Sibal! Fear not, I'm here to save you!
Pagus!
A guest union has joined the party.

- Boss Video: Ancient Dragon

Mission: Defeat the Ancient Dragon!

Sidequest Boss battles come in two sizes: Filler and Killer. Guess which one this is. Go on, guess.

This boss primarily uses “Blaster” as its main attack.

Blaster is annoying.

Because it is very, very random. It does a random amount of damage. It’s allegedly between 5% and 200% of the union’s maximum health according to the wiki, but I’ve seen it do less than 5%, and if it could usually do 100%+ of the union’s HP, you’d expect at least half of the attacks to kill the union outright, and that’s actually pretty rare. Blaster can also add Poison/Silence/Paralyze, which is very annoying, although that doesn’t seem to happen terribly often either.

Moving the morale. This is important, because later on you’ll see what happens if I let the morale stay low. It is bad.

I think Rush is pretty close to leveling up Remedies. (Okay, I’ve played ahead and KNOW he is.) I got no commands to revive Violet, but we’ve got a lot of time to take down this 96,000-183,000 HP union.

On my previous run, Maddox’s union spent most of its time silenced and paralyzed, which was not exciting.

Artsap does no damage, which can be good. But it drains all your AP to zero, which is bad. If you were planning to do any AP-requiring moves, now you’ll just stand by instead.

We should strike at their flank!

Fantastic. This is its killer attack.

You can do it!

Rush has the chance to lower the enemy morale, and Pagus can flank attack, so I’m going to take advantage of both of those instead of simply bringing Emma back.

If Blaster worked the way the wiki claims, there should have been a 75% chance that I’d get killed there.

Music: Struggle Eternal

This is a tough battle, so I am going to take this chance to nuke the boss down. Pagus’s union’s flank option will only have him cast Spark III, so I may as well just have him bring Emma back.

When preparing to execute a special attack, you’re very LIKELY to dodge any attack, you are not guaranteed to dodge. And the poisoning is not going to help at all…

drat it. You can’t dodge poison.

And I’d just gotten Emma up over 2000 HP, too.

Time to break and heal. Maddox’s union will keep the dragon busy.

Oh!

This heals a single unit for 1500 HP. Not bad, especially given how much HP we have at the moment. Later on it’ll fall off in effectiveness.

Time to spend some AP.

W-wait…

I can’t catch a break, can I? Violet, as an individual unit, was already at low HP, so the Darkbreath killed her, even though Emma’s union as a whole survived.

I am going to get you this time, you bastard. Pagus will heal Emma’s union, and she will bring back Maddox’s Bunch.

Rush!

Are you making GBS threads me? Twice in a row?

Rush’s union will do whatever, but I’ll try to have Pagus’s union heal them.

Yay.

Dragon’s Flight is a blow from below delivered with such power that the user leaps unto the air. This did 4100 damage alone.

This did about 2% of Emma’s maximum HP damage. Emma’s Resonance edge puts it into critical, though.

It’s still too soon to be popping champagne corks, though.

It’s about time.

Yeah, how long were you going to just leave Violet just lying on the floor, huh Baulson?

So much for Emma healing her union.

Time for Rush to spend some AP and keep this dragon occupied while everyone else nurses their wounds. Emma will Defend because she can’t do anything else.

You losers aren’t even a challenge!

… Rush’s union has the worst luck today.

Fuuuuuuuuccckkkkk yooooouuuuuuu…

Even though Emma’s union was out, I ordered a full-on attack anyway, because I (correctly) guessed that it wouldn’t finish off the drat dragon.

I hate this fight. Especially because I actually had to redo this entire quest the first time because I forgot to make Pagus the union leader on my first attempt.

*eye twitches involuntarily*

YAY, what fun we’re having!

Now someone is definitely going to get raidlocked, but I want at least one union back up.

Emma got Maddox’s union up. This Artsap is actually a good thing for me because it does no damage. It also transforms what would have been a series of combat arts into attacks totaling under 900 HP. That’s a bad thing as it turns out, as the boss still has a ton of HP left to spare.

Let’s try this again.

Everyone is going to unleash their most powerful stuff.

Goddamn, that took way too much time. And this is not a low BR run. I have no idea how people can find low BR runs fun. But at least everyone is alive and got the XP. (Guest unions don’t matter.)

Psychorider posted:

To learn the next art in a category you need to have learned all of those in the previous rank and one of them must be at least tier II. The second rank of remedies contains Refresh and Rejuvenate, which remove status ailments and stat debuffs respectively. That means you can't progress further if you never get hit by ailments or debuffs, so you should take every opportunity you have to give orders that use them, to get them to level 2 as soon as possible to get to the better arts later on. Thankfully remedies go up faster than other mystic arts so it's not so bad but it can seem to take a long time to get the next one because you use Restore so much it's already at max level.

So in other words, I’m pretty close to learning the next art in Remedies. But I actually chose Addle II. It’s okay, the next time I get a Mystic Chance I’ll be learning Refresh. It’s enough to know that I CAN learn it soon.

MORE NUMBERS. Violet is actually becoming a pretty little powerhouse.

learned Addle II!
learned Vivification Herb II!
learned Life Powder!
learned:
  • Restorative Herb V!
  • Vivification Herb III!
learned Double Time!
learned Nimble Resonance Edge!
learned:
  • Restore II!
  • Vivification Herb II!

- Quest Video: The Rainbow Bond, Part 3

Darned tooting we did! We're talking about the Arco Iris here... If all three of us can't see it together, what's the point?
Sibal...
But, seems like Maddox was right about it after all... I guess I just imagined seeing it. I was so certain I saw the Arco Iris... Ha, but there's nothing now, huh...
No... Certainly, you met the Remnant of Miracles, Sibal. Maddox... Sibal... The time we three were engrossed in the mystery of the Arco Iris is many years past. As time passed, we went our separate ways, doing different things and living different lives, perhaps never to meet again... And yet here we are, on an adventure, at that! It really brings back memories, doesn't it? Ahem. My point here is, just the fact that we're all here together again...
...That is the miracle given us by the Arco Iris?

You too, kiddo! I'll treat you to dinner or something!
The guest union has left the party.

Music: The Seat of Vulcan

Truly, I mustn't forget to teach the young folk that experience is just as important as book knowledge.
Gahahah! Howzabout I put 'em to work here? I'll look after 'em good!
Sibal, you'd do well to take care of yourself... We might not be there next time you're about to be eaten by monsters.
Eheh, sorry about that...

I know he's a meddlesome old coot, but take good care of Pagus for me, would you?
Pagus. Rush. I'd better be getting back, then. Pagus—let's do a better job of keeping in touch this time, hmm?
Ahh... For a moment, I was back as a young man having a great adventure... It's not a feeling I'll soon forget. Rush, my boy, thank you so much. This is for you.

Obtained Manryn Salia!
Manryn Salia – A red stone known as the roc's sphere.
Salia Count: 6

What the-? Pagus, this is one of the Crimson Shards?
Crimson what?
You know, the 9 shards we need to bring together to stop Vespalia and save Royotia from destruction?
Is it? Oh, I wasn’t really paying attention to all that.

Completed quest: The Rainbow Bond!

Me and Pagus’s friends Maddox and Sibal beat the monsters in Siebenbur. Yes! The Arco Iris was in their hearts… What…?

That was pretty long for a single quest – I was right to split it into its own update. But we’re not quite done yet. Sibal can’t be recruited yet, although doing this quest was a necessary step. But we can go over to Royotia’s guild…

Maddox is surprisingly cheap to recruit for a BR 25 character.

Maddox

Ex-Celapaleian general. Once shared a vision with Pagus. A real chatterbox of an old man.

Class: Expert Marauder
Initial BR: BR 25
HP: (471)
Str / Int: (19 / 37)

Current Arts
  • Invocations: (Spark II, Wind Shear)
  • Hexes: (Poison Gas)
Future Arts
  • Remedies @ BR 36
  • Herbs @ BR 44
  • Arcana: Blackout, Crimson Flare, Animalcule

Tags: Mystic, Healer, Arcana

Another decent mage. Available after completing his quest. He’s the first party member to learn Hexes, but he’s going on the bench because people voted to keep Loki and Nora for now.

When recruited, he can be found outside Royotia’s tavern. Inside the tavern is our final quest before heading to the Heroic Ramparts. So celebrate! We’ll be seeing new stuff soon!

New Arts Summary
learned Addle II!
learned Vivification Herb II!
learned Life Powder!
learned:
  • Restorative Herb V!
  • Vivification Herb III!
learned Double Time!
learned Nimble Resonance Edge!
learned:
  • Restore II!
  • Vivification Herb II!

The Rainbow Bond, Part 1
Dungeon: The Fifth Path
Boss: Ancient Dragon
Quest: The Rainbow Bond, Part 3

I’m pretty glad that they did indeed show the Arco Iris. They talked it up so much, and if they hadn’t actually shown it, it would have been such a tease.

Here’s some bonus dialogue:

(This sounds kinda scary...)
The miners of Royotia—no slouches in the physical power department—have tangled with the thing more than a couple times... They haven't won once. Don't go off half-cocked, alright, kid? You'll regret it.
Boy... Men who run from their challenges find they're running from their own growth. Stop being wishy-washy and defeat that thing! ...I'll be waiting here, where it's safe.

That declines the quest. If you go back….

Some giant monster's moved into the cave where I saw the Arco Iris—and it seemed hungry. So long as the monster's there, there's no way we cann go look for the Remnant.
Monsters don't sound like fun...
What's wrong, kid, scared of the big bad monster? ...I was, and that's why I didn't even try getting close!
I'll take care of that thing!
The miners of Royotia—no slouches in the physical power department—have tangled with the thing more than a couple times... They haven't won once. Don't go off half-cocked, alright, kid? You'll regret it.

If you leave and go to the world map mid-dungeon, then try talking to Sibal again…

Oho, it's the kid again! I figured you an' Pagus couldn't commit and went back to Athlum already! Don't tell me you're gonna go back to the cave to try and see the Arco Iris, are you?
(Going home sounds good.)
What's wrong, kid, scared of the big bad monster? ...I was, and that's why I didn't even try getting close!
That monster's toast!

Discussion question: Should we beat up an old man for no good reason?

Next Time: It overflows with the desire for blood!

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 27, 2015

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Nice job taking down the dragon! You had much worse luck than I did, although of course I forgot to restock on herbs beforehand.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Beat the elderly because this is an RPG, so they're probably an evil sorcerer or some sort of crazed assassin.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Yes, beat him up because doing so is insanely loving hard.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Beating old men up is its own reward?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

booksnake posted:

Beating old men up is its own reward?

:black101: Crush the elderly!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I've recorded another couple chapters ahead. After that, I'll do a bonus update swapping out some party members as I go gathering materials and doing some guild quests to unlock some stuff.

Three words for the future: Shiny, Blackout, Vespalia.

Onmi posted:

Yes, beat him up because doing so is insanely loving hard.

It definitely is. In fact, I am going to do a rare thing and include a full screenshot portion of a "failure" attempt just to provide the necessary context about why that fight is so hard. And unlike other fights, it's not hard because you risk death, it's hard for a completely different reason.

The next update is mostly written now. It should be ready on Monday.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

RedTonic posted:

:black101: Crush the elderly!

I'd say that you guys are mean, but I'm here to vote for whichever makes the LPer suffer more.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang, that's a pretty good count of Salia for as... early in the plot as we are? Are we early?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Bit late, but you should totally fight the old man.

If he is a hermit kung-fu master who you must impress in order for him to teach you his kung-fu formations.
If he is a wizard then he's probably a jerk and deserves it. Even if he joins you afterwards because then he's your jerk wizard.

The only reason to not fight him would be if he's just an ordinary old man and would not provide a good fight (in which case you wouldn't have the option to do so, thus you should fight him.)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

It overflows with the desire for blood!

- Quest Video: The Wanderer

We’re still in Royotia’s Firestone tavern. I saved this one for later because I knew Pagus’s quest had to start in Melphina and it leaves you here.

It fought so much, and for so long, that eventually, it forgot how to do anything else. The monster's heart became hard as polished steel. It couldn't even really be called a "heart" anymore. And eventually, even the monster's body had become a blade. ...Like it?
I don’t think that’s how monsters work.
I know it's just a story, but this weird old man who came by earlier totally believed it! Crazy, huh? Not only that, but he said he was gonna find the sword, and ran off! But there've been a bunch of bandits around... It's no place for senile old geezers, you know? Can you go check on him, make sure he's okay?
Should be... interesting.
Thanks, mister! That’s real nice of you! The cave with the sword is in Lavafender. Be careful, okay?
Accepted quest: The Wanderer

Music: Dark Secrets

Some old guy ran off to Lavafender after a monster that turned into a sword. He's obviously senile. Guess I should save him...

We start at the Royotia side of Lavafender. We can see some guys straight ahead, though.

Huh? No way, it's someone different.
Either way, let's kick his rear end!

Mission: Defeat the enemy!

These guys are just trash mobs like any other.

Farewell… cruel world…

Well, except that they can use the same arts as we can, I guess.

Seems bandits are after the old dude. What were they talking about, anyway? What "psycho old man"?

That was actually the first time in quite a long time that one of my unions has been dead at the end of combat. I guess I should have had Rush break to heal, given how slow his union is. As these are not monsters, we get G as a reward instead of monster components.

The enemies down this side passage tell us where to go next.

He's after the sword, right? Hell, let's just let him try and take it. Once he gets close enough, it'll take care of him, heheh.
You've got a point...
Uh-oh.
...Hey! Who's there? Whoever you are, you're going down!

We’re counting on you!
I am warmed by the feeling of your love.

learned Refresh II!
learned Mighty Double Strike III!

Good, I should soon learn the next art in the Remedies line. Violet’s development is coming along nicely. As far as I can tell, just increasing an art from II to III is a substantial increase in damage.

I’m clearing these vultures out because they are hard to dodge, and I want to save. What I’m attempting to do might take several attempts.

Generally, it’s better to always take the option which grants the most XP to the most units in your union, so something costing 28 AP that only has the leader casting a single powerful art (Nimble Resonance Edge in this case) is less preferable to something costing 29 AP but has three units casting weaker arts.

Most of the time, you should prioritize how many units will try to perform an art, instead of which union you’re targeting. It doesn’t matter so much if you pile on the same union, or if you get Intercepted, as you’ll perform the arts anyway even if it isn’t on the target you originally planned on.

class changed to Mysticknight!

I think we’re here.

It’s hard to capture in screenshots, but arcs of lightning are coming off the blade and being stopped by a shield around it.

Hey! We've been after that blade for who knows how long! Like we're gonna give it up that easy? Think again!

Maybe you should leave the sword alone? It kinda seems like bad news.

Not again…

This one managed to hit a second union at least.

Beautifully done!

These opponents are not to be underestimated!
Ugh! I hate these half-baked mutant punks!

learned:
  • Nimble Third Eye II!
  • Revitalize!

Revitalize is pretty much the best healing method in the game. Item-based healing heals a fixed amount, but magical healing scales based on your Intellect. Restore heals a single unit for some amount. Revitalize heals EACH unit in the union for some amount, and that often adds up to a full heal for the union.

Also, I redid this fight, so I might not have actually learned Revitalize yet. I can’t bet sure until I watch the Chapter 32 video.

Now… accept my bidding!
Oh, THAT can’t be good.
I don’t think it would be a good idea to let that old guy – or anyone – get a hold of that sword! Dave, we’ve got to stop him!

Then I'll convince it to be mine!
Don’t you bozos know when to give up?

- BOSS Video: Milton (First Attempt)

I’m going to do something a little different for this fight. Normally, I only do a recap of the successful run. But here, I’ll recap the first attempt as well.

The elderly man - helpfully named as Milton - is on the field as a neutral union. He will not attack us unless we attack him. Technically, we don’t really have any good reason to attack him… but I happen to know that if you defeat him, you get a higher amount of G for your reward than if he is still standing.

In the last update I posed a question about whether we should attack him or not, but that was just a discussion question. I was ALWAYS going to try to kill him. Because he’s a motherfucker.

The mission specifically says defeat the ENEMY. Milton is not an enemy, so the mission will end as soon as the last bandit union is defeated. Milton has between 36000 and 86000 HP. The bandits are the same enemies we’ve been plowing through all dungeon. We could end this battle in two turns if we ignore Milton, and that’s only because I have 3 unions, not 4.

Rush is engaging a other union to cast Bluff, because I really want my morale higher.

We shall stop them here!

Goodbye!
It can’t end like this…
Lord David!

This is why Milton is such a motherfucker. If his attack connects, it’s got basically a 100% chance of an Instakill. It does no health damage, but with your union leader down, you can’t control what the union does.

Rush gets the morale up, and the enemy union survives, which is good.

I thought that everyone defending might help.

Nope!

These opponents are not to be underestimated!

Darn, I have to kill this union anyway.

With a union Botched, it’s rare to actually land a successful critical chain. That was good, but Milton’s attack kills Nora.

Because they were botched, Emma’s Squad decided on their own to go fight a bandit union. That’s two of the four down now.

I need control of my unions, so I order Rush to go revive someone.

As you can see, Milton is still at about 75% HP. This is not going well.

A lot of units are not actually failing to act while Botched, which is surprising, and ironically, not helpful for this specific fight.

Rise and fight with us once more!
You won’t have to do that again!

Rush will try and revive David’s union, Loki will do whatever, and Emma will fight Milton.

That all you got?

David revives Emma’s union, BUT…

Because they were botched at the time of target selection, they switched to the last bandit group, and even deliberately missing the critical trigger…

And that’s the end of the mission.

That’s not what I wanted to happen. Let’s go back and try this again…

- BOSS Video: Milton (Success)

Now… accept my bidding!
Oh, THAT can’t be good.
I don’t think it would be a good idea to let that old guy – or anyone – get a hold of that sword! Dave, we’ve got to stop him!

Then I'll convince it to be mine!
Don’t you bozos know when to give up?

Now, let’s see how this fight can go with a whole lot of luck:

This time, Rush will do his morale-lowering move, but I’m actually having David’s union go after a different union instead of Milton. This is important, because David’s union is my fastest union. Emmy will still go after Milton.

This is weird, because even though this should be a deadlock, Milton does not retaliate.

Three left.

And now one is botched and will act irregularly.

All the other bandits have gone after Milton. They’re not doing much damage, but it should help us.

We need all the luck we can get. Low morale also decreases your chance for Critical Triggers.

Two left.

I think maybe because Milton was invisibly triple deadlocked, he can do nothing? (I don’t know how this fight works.) It feels like he’s taken more damage in turn 1 than he took all fight last attempt.

Now we do a full-on attack. Rush could Omnistrike the botched union, but that’s just a waste. David’s only attack option for Milton is Caustic Blast, though, which I don’t want to risk, so he’ll only use normal attacks. Milton has to die first, if he dies at the same time as the bandits, it doesn’t count as defeating him.

Getting lucky Critical Triggers and landing them is key, so that Milton moves last, letting you pile on the damage before he can KO someone.

Lady Emma!

The remaining bandits attack Emma’s union. The damage they do can be ignored, it’s the loss of the deadlocks that are annoying.

Had enough?

Another critical chain helps.

This helps a lot more.

Stop slacking!

This critical chain did 7117 damage, knocking Milton into critical.

Instead of trying to revive someone, I ignore them and have David continue the attack. I don’t care if I have downed units at the end, I just want Milton gone.

Even with David down, no one gets botched and we land another critical hit.

On your feet!

Baulson, on his own decides to resurrect Emma. Very helpful.

Wait, somebody took me out?

Gabriel following his lead is even more helpful!

The bandits are not anything to worry about damage-wise, and I am not missing this opportunity to take Milton down. Rush will try to revive David, Emma will go after Milton.

Im…possible…

Milton dodges and Baulson botches. Rush revives David. Emma is Rear Assaulted by the botched bandit union, but even that only does 500 damage.

Rush can’t get to Milton’s union, so he’ll have to take on these bandits first. I tried to have him do all normal attacks though, to try and drag the fight out.

Or he could just kill them all now. That works too, I guess.

Goodbye!

Hello!

I’ll send Emma to bring back David.

Gotcha!

And that ends the fight just in time. David ends up being the only one down, which is a really good result versus Milton. Believe it or not, that was actually only my second attempt. But as you can see, it really relies on good luck.

learned Nimble Acala’s Wrath III!
class changed to Lordly Ranger!
learned Earthrender!

And our reward is noticeably larger for taking out Milton.

*chuckle* Holding back your power, hmm? You underestimate me!

Ridiculous! No matter what, I will break you!

Uhhh… yeaaahhhh…?
Thank goodness!
(Yeah, pretty surprising considering we were trying to murder him real good.)
(Sssh.)

Thanks, mister! Here, for your trouble.
Obtained Vys Salia!
Vys Salia – A red stone known as the roc’s frenzy.
What a kooky old guy! I hope I can meet him again.
I don’t, and I wouldn’t.
Completed quest: The Wanderer

The old dude left in pursuit of the sword. The girl who sent me after him seemed relieved. I wonder who he was. No one seems to know.

Salia Count: 7. Just two more stones to get now. We’ll have them all soon enough. I’m not so sure I agree with this random girl having one, they’re supposed to be in the hands of powerful people. If this came off of Milton or instead the white qsiti from Melphina, sure, but this girl who doesn’t get a name?

But this update has been going on long enough. Next time: the Heroic Ramparts, plus a new city and a new-ish dungeon!

New Arts Summary
learned:
  • Refresh II!
  • Nimble Third Eye II!
  • Revitalize!
  • Nimble Acala’s Wrath III!
class changed to Lordly Ranger!
learned Mighty Double Strike III!
class changed to Mysticknight!
learned Earthrender!

Quest: The Wanderer
BOSS Video: Milton (First Attempt)
BOSS Video: Milton (Success)

Discussion question: Shiny?

Next Time: Shiny shiny. My shinies...

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 23, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Barkeepers are powerful people.

I don't really remember whether I fought Milton or not on my playthrough. I'd forgotten about this quest entirely.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

Dang, that's a pretty good count of Salia for as... early in the plot as we are? Are we early?

Sidequest chains don't necessarily progress at the same rate as the main quest.

RedTonic posted:

Barkeepers are powerful people.

I don't really remember whether I fought Milton or not on my playthrough. I'd forgotten about this quest entirely.

She's not even a barkeeper, just a random girl.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang, that is one ridiculous sword fighter. I don't suppose he'll come back on our side?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Glazius posted:

Dang, that is one ridiculous sword fighter. I don't suppose he'll come back on our side?

We wouldn't want to spoil the surprise now would we?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I've done another one of my periodic updates of The cast and party list, so everyone's arts and stats are now up to date.

...Does anyone read that or find it helpful?

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

I've done another one of my periodic updates of The cast and party list, so everyone's arts and stats are now up to date.

...Does anyone read that or find it helpful?

I look at it to remember who the party members are and see what arts do sometimes

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Discussion question: Shiny?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8OefkPLlWA

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Looked at it now, but it wouldn't bother me if you just went over them the once in the relevant introductory update without going back and adding as you go.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't really see the point of transcribing that much stuff. Just give a reminder of who a given irrelevant side character is if you do their quest. As for the arts, most of them are just pure damage. If one does something interesting then by all means mention it, but why recreate a large part of the wiki? Besides, questions push new pages forward.

But then, I've played this game so I'm probably biased toward minimalism.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I like the map/cast post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Update in about an hour or so. Sorry I wasn't able to finish this sooner. We're almost done with sidequesting.

Serious Frolicking posted:

I don't really see the point of transcribing that much stuff. Just give a reminder of who a given irrelevant side character is if you do their quest. As for the arts, most of them are just pure damage. If one does something interesting then by all means mention it, but why recreate a large part of the wiki? Besides, questions push new pages forward.

But then, I've played this game so I'm probably biased toward minimalism.

Well, I've already actually transcribed the stuff, so I may as well post it. Since I already have all the stuff, just pasting it in doesn't take up much time.

I think at one point I had hoped that it might be useful to help people decide how I should configure my unions, but I suspect that at this point peoples eyes would just glaze over if I asked them to vote on union configurations, so I bet "Just do it yourself" might be the winning option in any future party config votes.

• Locked thread