Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Lotish posted:

Could Blocter make it into Assassin if we keep using him? He's already a one-handed type. I mean I guess that may not be suited to him either, but it could be something?

Also, if I counted right (hard to keep count with all the scrolling through the updates that burst the character limit), we should be good for a new page.

well we could, but there's a problem

Swords. Blocter uses axes, we could enable "Equip Party Members" and give him a single handed sword, but otherwise, nah no chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ah. Well, that's it then, isn't it?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

There's also a handy bit of save editing if the format is documented enough to do that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SIGSEGV posted:

There's also a handy bit of save editing if the format is documented enough to do that.

I posted a save editor so Stabbey can go back and change it, it also allows a person to actually look at all the EXP bars to see how far along they are.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Oh yeah I forgot, maybe Stabby might put it in the OP next to the NG+ save to help whoever is going to try to play some day because all these completely opaque systems are a bit hard to get my mind around.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Update coming within the hour!

Onmi posted:

Wait.... I could have sworn there's Damien who can already be recruited now.

Not quite. Technically, he can be recruited after leaving Nagapur, but for both gameplay reasons and LP pacing reasons, I’m not going to do that.

Onmi posted:

No earthly idea, I think there's a slow buildup or Art XP just so you'll eventually learn stuff

Maybe, that might explain what happened to Blocter.

quote:

It's also that for Blocter, Scout is a dead-end class that's very unsuited for him. Since you can't control what items your party equips and they have limited arts trees, there's limits to where they can class up. as you would think, this can severely gently caress up characters since you have so little control of them.

I just want to re-iterate that Blocter increased the level of his Herb arts ONCE. That’s it. He might have been close to increasing them a second time, but seriously, that was all it took to kick him into Scout. That’s pretty ridiculous.

Lotish posted:

I can understand why that makes characters feel more like characters on their own, more organic, but drat that would frustrate me so bad when they're making the wrong moves like this.

You could have been something, Blocter.

Becoming a Scout doesn’t mean Blocter suddenly stops learning Combat arts or gaining STR. He’s still perfectly usable… Scout just means he doesn’t get the benefits to damage output that could have had become a Warrior.

I am not going to use the trainer or the bugfix. This is the game as it was released (aside from my insertions :v: ).

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Auf wiener schnitzel, Nagapur!

Previously:

Chapter XXIV: So it’s come to war.

The Congress has been slow to grant that Conqueror fellow a Remnant, and all the Lords are in a flurry over it.

And the Conqueror keeps rattling his saber about taking over countries and seizing their Remnants.
You’d expect that from the sort of person who would bind the Ark… He’s made an enemy out of every Lord with a Remnant. What’s he plotting?
For starters, he’s building an army.
So it’s come to war…

The Congress has split into two factions… One sides with the Chairman against the Conqueror. The other supports the Conqueror, fearing the God Emperor’s wrath. Duke Hermeien wishes to ally with us and end the rift as quickly as possible.
He’s asked to speak with me directly, in Nagapur.

- Video: Welcome to Nagapur

Music: In the Shadow of the Dragon (Nagapur Theme)

:stare:

Nagapur: A bustling metropolis protected by the Remnant Gwayn. Canals are found everywhere due to flood control measures.

Nagapur – Flussbahn: A large sluice doubles as the gate to this town.

Flussbahn is German. It literally means “flow path”, but I suspect the proper translation means “canal”. Many of the names of this town are vaguely Germanic.

Woah…
You look surprised. Yes, that intimidating dragon you see is indeed Nagapur's treasured Remnant - the Gwayn! The grand castle in front of it is Wyrmskeep, home of our beloved Lord Wilfred Hermeien.
How do we get to Wyrmskeep anyway?
Directions to Wyrmskeep, you say? There's a boat you can take to get there. The dock is just beneath us. Though I don't know if they let commoners like you on board.

Let’s go do that now.

Dock Worker: Kid, you need a ride?
Yeah! Thanks, boat guy!

Be careful. May the God Emperor be with you.

*nods*

Why don’t you take a walk around, do some sightseeing?
Cool! Thanks!
And, by “sightseeing,” I mean try to acquire as much information as you can. Rush, talk to Pagus and myself when you’ve finished.

- Video: Nagapur Tour

Let’s follow Dave!

Dock Worker: This is the dock. Sorry, kiddo. This boat IS headed to Wyrmskeep, but I can only let you on if you've been granted access by Lord Hermeien.
Fine. I didn’t want to ride your stupid boat anyway.
Dock Worker: Rude.

There are some shops by the docks, which sell some common components we can find ourself easily.

Three years?
Canal Watcher: But I have faith that he'll return. I'll continue to wait for him as long as I have to.

But if someone decides to blow the whistle, that would really be a buzzkill, huh... Speaking of... I've been super stressed, and I totally deserve to treat myself. And you should, too - with my Khrynia-patented lotion.

Thanks, but no thanks.
You're worthless. Don't you understand the concept of retail therapy? Augh!
...Thanks. I'll take it.
Thank you! Your skin totally will.
Reward: Water of Eos x 6, Bell Seedling x 3, Young Bud x 3.
Okayyy! Auf wiener schnitzel, Nagapur!
Completed quest: Nagapur’s Witch

I bought some dodgy "Khrynia" lotions from a magus-y girl lost in Nagapur. She left in search of a peaceful place.

“Auf Wiedersehen” is German for goodbye. Oh, Khrynia. :allears: Did I mention that the localization is fantastic?

Emmy! It’s been a while (a month) since we’ve seen her about.

Woah, Emmy, you’re still travelling about? When will you be done?
I thought I’d done plenty of training, but I still can’t even light a candle to Mother… But I can’t give up.
It’s okay. I’m sure she’s proud of you anyway.
Thank you, Rush.

Devoted Man: He is born leader and chairman of the Congress. Being named chairman means that he is the most powerful and admired man on the continent. I feel honored to be a citizen here.

Bored now. Let’s leave town.

I probably shouldn’t go out there alone…

Or instead let’s go to Sudenalm. This is not a German word, but it kinda sounds like something which means “South District” in German.

Nagapur – Sudenalm: Many people live in this residential district, which has a relaxing atmosphere. Travelers often stop by this area.

Aristocratic Man: The town square is richly green. It's where folks gather to take a breather. They sell Nagapur goodies, too!

This is “richly green”? Has that guy never left the city?

Waiting Girl: This is a nice, quiet meeting place. The streets of Nordenalm are so busy! Because of all the shops, merchants and soldiers are clomping around all day! They're so loud!

These canals are used to ship this cargo here to different locations. The trade business has improved since Wilfred Hermeien became lord. My days are busy, busy, busy! The previous lord couldn't have pulled the town THIS far. He did seem like a kind man, though. On a separate note, I've been hearing rumors of an army advancing from the west... Scary times, these are.
An advancing army, huh? That can’t be good.

How do you know who I am?
Marina was right – you have her eyes, filled with goodness and justice.
Wait, you’ve seen my mom?
You need not worry about her. She is about, gathering information to help you on your journey. She was here until just a moment ago.

… I realize it is hard to trust my words, but I know all about you, Marina, and your sister Irina. When the time is right, I will tell you all there is to know.

Have you finished walking around town?
Yup, saw everything.
Alright, come with me then.

Despite what that says, you have to talk to both Pagus and Emma in different areas to advance the plot, so you may as well tell them that you’re done. Now, to Nordenalm.

Nagapur – Nordenalm: Many facilities and shops line the streets of this district filled with people, from merchants to travelers from other towns.

This is the biggest shopping district in Nagapur - Nordenalm. Weapons and accessories, components and items... Products from around the world are sailed here through the canals! There is a pub and guild here as well, if that suits your fancy.

Gwayn-Gazing Man: With that guarding our town, only a fool would think of invading us... Though, my kid tends to burst into tears when he sees it. I have to admit, it can be slightly intimidating. That's when I tell him that our town stays safe because of that Remnant. The Gwayn protects us from the evil out there!

Waiting Qsiti: There's quite a large sewer beneath the town. It connects the canals. There have been monsters sightings there of late, so no civilians are allowed to enter that area.

Nagapurian Guard: The Plain of Luhang that lies in front of Nagapur is the battleground that has protected us from invaders for ages. This is where the legendary warrior of Nagapur, Luhang of Zahaad, fought and beat the entire imperial army. Although this battle may be just a fictional tale, the soldiers of Nagapur still talk about him in awe.

I've come all the way from Ghor Castle with my friends. What a trek it was over the Heroic Ramparts. Have you seen it yet with your own eyes? It's said that one of the lords of Nagapur built that never-ending castle wall. It's like it's representing the never-ending flow of time.

has learned Flash Bomb!

I hate it when arts are hidden behind obscure guild tasks. But I’m not using it anyway. Let’s hit up the pub.

Bartender: Welcome to Pub Drachenhauch!

Drachenhaus means “Dragon House”. The Trendy Girl’s only comment is on the only outstanding quest: Jorgen’s. Also, pay attention to conversations here, as there is one more subtle bit of information which is here, but the game never calls attention to.

Bartender: If one loses himself, he can find himself within his friend’s hearts.
Trendy Girl: Why doesn’t he do that, then?

Pub Regular: Nagapur's previous lord was Lord Oswald Hermeien. He was a very generous and good man, but he suddenly disappeared several years ago. Lord Wilfred claimed the throne not long after. It is only a rumour, but some say that he was set up and thrown out of Wyrmskeep by Lord Wilfred. I certainly hope that isn't the truth. There is nothing uglier than a rivalry between parent and child.

You've seen the Gwayn, yes? I've seen many, many Remnants in my time, but nothing is more overwhelming than that one. There's quite powerful-looking one in Balterossa, to the south, but it can't possibly overshadow the Gwayn. Lad, you should go to different lands and see their Remnants with your own eyes.
I have. The Gwayn is really freaky all right.

That's why when Nagapur is in trouble his lordship comes to our rescue.

Waitress: I mean, who brings a white jelly monster to a pub!? The other customers got scared and they all up and left! And here I am, cleaning up after it...

I’m not sure what a white jelly monster is.

Sure am!
Alright, meet me in Flussbahn.

- Video: David’s Meeting at Nagapur

May I announce our honored guest…

Commander of the Remnants handed down by the God Emperor himself: The Gae Bolg and Valeria Heart!

The Marquis of Athlum: Lord David Nassau!

Well met, Marquis.
Hermeien.

With that, the scene fades to black. Honestly, this cutscene barely seemed worth the effort.

Dock Worker: Why don't you take the time to look around town a little more?

Emma and Pagus are nowhere to be found either. In order to advance, we need to talk to the most important-seeming character we found.

Hello, Rush Sykes. I have something to share with you.

Really?
Forget not this information, for it may come in handy someday.
Okay, I won’t.

He’s coming!
The Conquerer’s on the move!

What?

Lord David!

Emma, Pagus, Rush – we must leave now!
What’s going on? Where’s Wilfred?
Our meeting has been postponed. The Conquerer is marching on Celapaleis.
…!
We’ve been called back as support. We’ll return to Athlum then prepare for battle.
Yes, my Lord!

Rush.

Irina’s here?!
Apparently she’s in Duke Hermeien’s custody. I suppose you can rest easy, knowing she’s out of Wagram’s hands.

Wha-no! Why didn’t you take her with you?!
Well… I didn’t meet with her directly. What’s wrong?

Irina’s got Marion’s Blessing!
…!
And you think Lord Hermeien is aware of this?

Wait! Where are you going?
I have to go save her! I can’t let him use her power!
Calm down and think for a moment. How are you to save her if you don’t even know where to find her?

Rush, there is only one thing we can do right now. We must stop this war before anyone has a chance to use her power. I promise you: we will come back for Irina.
…Fine.

Rush.

Thanks for your valuable contribution to the scene, Irina.

Aww, I can’t say no to you.
Perfect. Then let’s head out.

And we have control again, dumped straight onto the city map. Technically, 5 sidequests have just opened up – including one which starts right here in Nagapur.

But we’re going to Athlum to continue the main plot. I’m pretty sure that after 11 solid updates of sidequesting that people would rather not have to leap right in. There are a few other good reasons to hold off on the side-questing for now too.

Well, okay, ONE stop, but only because it’s really short and “on the way back”.

Like, I would completely rebuild this place... Paint the walls bright pink - totally in this year - and everyone'd be required to wear roses! That would give such a touch of class, don't you think?

Why don’t you get a job?
Wha-at...? Do you ever look in the dictionary and find a picture of yourself under the caption "loser"?

Cute! I’ll take it.
Awesome! 'Cause really, you need all the charm you can get. Oooh! Ice burn!

I’m putting this on Rush instead of his +10% HP bracelet. More AP is better.

Smell ya later, Ghor! I'm outtie!
Completed quest: Ghor’s Witch!

I bought this dodgy "Khrynia" charm from a magus-y girl who wants to remodel Ghor Castle. I'm sure the Duke'll love that! She left in search of a historical town.

Bye Khrynia! See you in about 40 hours! (No seriously, it’ll really be a long, long time.)

And I think Rush’s weapons are overdue for an upgrade, so I’m pumping those up as well. Look out Conquerer, here we come!

Welcome to Nagapur
Nagapur Tour
David’s Meeting at Nagapur

If you somehow don’t have enough money to buy Khrynia’s things, she says:
Um, excuse you? That's not enough G. This is why I try to avoid people without money. (Nagapur)
Dude. Can you, like, stop being poor? Because it's seriously cramping my style. (Ghor)

Flowers Count: 8
“Irina” Count: 9
“Rush” count: 5

Discussion Question: Who was that old guy we needed to talk to anyway?
Discussion Question: The Conquerer’s army is on the march. How screwed are we?

Strap in folks, the next update is going to be something really amazing. I’m estimating over 120 screenshots, and I’m not breaking it up into two chapters, just two posts back-to-back.

Next Time: I will protect Athlum with my life! -OR- The Nest of Eagles

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 14, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

quote:

"Come at me, bro!"

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That old Oswald must have been the previous ruler of Nagapur because of his name, narrative requirements and also knowing a lot about Rush's family. The Conqueror's army is the army of a dude named The Conqueror so it'll probably be worth our while.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Among those reading the thread, how many people don't watch the videos? The next planned update has at least one "must-watch" video, and if enough people don't watch videos, I can use a lot of screencaps, but if most people watch the videos anyway, I can cut back on some of them.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Among those reading the thread, how many people don't watch the videos? The next planned update has at least one "must-watch" video, and if enough people don't watch videos, I can use a lot of screencaps, but if most people watch the videos anyway, I can cut back on some of them.

I'll watch the occasional boss battle, and absolutely the video in the next update, but having played the game before I'll skip most cutscenes.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I watch most videos because the combat looks pretty cool, the towns are pretty and the plot is worth looking at.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't generally watch the videos, but if you mark something as must watch, then I would watch that one.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
I mostly watch battles and entrances to the new towns that give a panoramic view, but if I see you comment about something cool in a video I watch those too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You don't play with fast forward on. I can't take how slow the base battle speed is while playing myself, so trying to watch it is exasperating.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Serious Frolicking posted:

You don't play with fast forward on. I can't take how slow the base battle speed is while playing myself, so trying to watch it is exasperating.

I only really use FF when fighting enemies who aren't a threat, because with FF on, it's impossible to manually hit the QTE's. I could turn them to auto, but that's got a 20% miss chance and besides, I like the participation of hitting the QTE's. In dangerous fights, you really want to be hitting the QTE's 100% of the time like you can do manually.

Enemies which aren't a threat are something which I probably should just leave out entirely.

In this playthrough I've also tended to be "underleveled" (and it's possibly right, since I'm BR 28 and the next recruits start at BR 33).

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 18, 2015

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
I tend to watch fights and voiced cutscenes but tend to skip over unvoiced conversations and the tours/entrances/etc.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

I watch some, but I usually read LPs on my phone, so I don't bother. If marked essential, I'll watch.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
I'm more of a screenshot kind of guy. I typically only watch videos whenever someone says "you should watch this".

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
If you mark it as must-watch, I'd watch it. Otherwise I've been enjoying this as a screenshot LP.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I watch the videos of the dungeons - though I skip around the parts in the dungeons that isn't combat or sidequest plot - and the harder fights. I watch the plot videos too but don't really watch the town exploration ones.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I don't because I've played the game before but I'm in the minority.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I watch all of the battle videos.
Because I find them satisfying and dont ask me how or why.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
40 hours? Holy moly is she going to show up in some weird postgame thing, like the Conqueror's going to raise an ancient city or something?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Glazius posted:

40 hours? Holy moly is she going to show up in some weird postgame thing, like the Conqueror's going to raise an ancient city or something?

No, rather the major point is that we aren't going to be getting a new city for a while, and Khryina's thing is you have to buy from her at each city in the world before she joins, so despite her being one of the first unique leaders you meet, she's one of the last to join.

She's frankly sort of worth it, she's got good skills, good items, even a combined art with another unique leader.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

I will protect Athlum with my life! -OR- The Nest of Eagles

The latter two videos in this update are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED VIEWING!

(The first one is not that important, the second one is pretty cool and well worth watching, and the third one is essential viewing.)

- Video: To the Nest of Eagles

To continue, we need to go to Athlum Castle.

Sir, the Conqueror’s forces and the Duke of Qubine’s guard have met at the Nest of Eagles. And it seems Celapaleis is taking quite a beating.

Torgal, Blocter; We’d better hurry to assist them.

Pagus, Emma; you and Rush stay here and keep watch over Athlum.
*nods*

Lord David, if I may speak: The Conqueror raised an army and attacked Celapaleis without giving us a second thought. Our enemy’s strength and impudence are clear, as are the consequences of this battle. If Celapaleis falls, Athlum will be next. If even one extra man could increase your chances, you should take him.
Emma…

Take the others. I will protect Athlum with my life!

…Understood. Take good care of her.
Yes, my Lord.

Come on then: all forces, to arms!
Yeah! Yes, my Lord!

Emma has left the party.

This was the actual reason why I wanted votes on a new party leader. Emma is temporarily out of the party for this battle, so someone needed to lead in her place. By popular vote, it is going to be Caedmon.

The Celapaleis forces are being heavily battered by the Conqueror's army. At this rate it's only a matter of time before they invade the city. Rush, we must head to the Nest of Eagles with all haste!
While we were in Nagapur, the Conqueror's army advanced all the way to Celapaleis... Unbelivable. To think, they dominated so easily... The Conqueror seems rightly named. If we take this lightly, we'll be destroyed along with Celapaleis. We'll need to keep our wits about us.
What kind of monsters are the Conqueror's army made of!? Sneaking around behind our backs - what, they've never heard of sportsmanship? C'mon, Rush, we gotta hurry to the Nest of Eagles and show those cowards what real men are made of!
Hmph. To be certain, at first I only thought you a silly, sheltered hayseed, but you've really grown a lot. I admit I'm a bit impressed. That said, don't get too full of yourself, Rush.
The Conqueror's supremacy on the battlefield has been more than proven. At this rate, it is only a matter of time before Celapaleis falls. We cannot allow that to happen! All forces - to the Nest of Eagles!

Let’s head out. Take this time to re-stock your herbs, and if you had Emma leading a union, do NOT forget to re-make it. With Emma removed, her entire union was dispanded so everyone in it is on the bench.

I’ve decided to keep Violet in Rush’s union (so Rush can learn Rejuvenating Water), and Gabriel has been shuffled off to Caedmon’s. With Emma gone, I’m short another combat unit, so Rhagoh comes off the bench again to fill in the hole in Rush’s Troop.

This means that Rush’s Troop has no one who can revive. Instead of moving Gabriel, I should have moved Torgal.

Nest of Eagles – A ravine that provides protection for Celapaleis, it is said that an eagle once built a nest here to guard the town from invaders.

This next video is not essential, but recommended because there are some very rare and impressive arts shown in it.

- Battlefield Video: The Nest of Eagles

Music: Clash of Opposites

We start out one full turn’s march from any of the enemies. Roeas is here, as is the big guy we saw in Chapter 19. His name is Castanea. He doesn’t talk much. The Conqueror’s army has done a number on the Celapaleian forces – there’s only the one squad still fighting.

A number of people the first time may have had trouble with this battle, but I know a trick that can trivialize it. But that’ll wait until a bonus video. I’m fighting this one legit.

Two additional enemy unions join the battle as the first turn begins.

Oh no, he has moved the Morale bar slightly to the left.

I shall claim the reward!
Nice…this one looks loaded!

Well the little guys aren’t any tougher than what we’re used to at least.

This shouldn’t be too much of a bother, as they don’t really use Mystics except to heal, and they have lots of Herb healing.

Gabriel lands an impressive Shield Bash and takes the enemy out in one hit.

What’s this?

:stare: Uh…

Stand your ground!

That was pretty impressive.

Watch our flank!

That union had ¾ of the total units which can revive people.

More join the fray.

Rush has no choice but to match closer to the battle. David will go revive Caedmon.

Nothing happened this turn except David reviving Caedmon’s union.

Dave! End it with the Gae Bolg!

I actually thought about not using the Gae Bolg here, because it means less Art XP for other units… but I’m here to put on a show, and this is the best show in town, so yeah, let’s do this. Let’s show them the true might of Athlum!

Gae Bolg, I call upon thee!

Three unions wiped out instantly. Look how far that moved the morale meter. :allears:

Hurry and circle beside them!

And Roeas is knocked into critical.

Here I go!

Roeas isn’t dead, but she’s had to flee the field of battle.

Just Castanea left.

Uh-oh. When either Roeas or Castanea falls, the other one gets Overdrive: They gain 4 additional actions per deadlocking union. Overdrive is one of the nastiest things an enemy can have active. In this situation, Castanea should have been killed first, as he’s a bit more threatening than Roeas.

It’s a good thing that he’s also nearly dead, because here he goes…

It’s amazing Caedmon’s union is still standing. I have personally seen cases where an Overdrive enemy kills an union with 9999 health in one go, although that case was facing an extremely tough optional enemy.

Thanks for the support, Celapaleis. But I don’t like the looks of that “???” art.

You like baseball?

That happened.

That helps. Pagus’s Revitalize gets David’s union back up to full.

Damnit…

I order David to revive and Caedmon to self-heal, leaving the guest union to keep the boss occupied.

Luckily, the Overdrive was only for one turn.

That hurt, but we survived.

Pagus, the tiny general with the wimpy physical attack took out the giant Castanea. You gotta love it.

class changed to Legendary Ranger!
learned Wind Shear II!
Loot: 14675 G

The battle is won, Celapaleis is saved!

:siren: WATCH THIS ESSENTIAL VIDEO! :siren:

- Video: Courage and Honor

It’s a peaceful, sunny day.

But something’s wrong. Emma can sense it.

Stand ready!

BOOM

Huh?

BOOM

What’s goin’ on?
I don’t know!

BOOM!

Part of Athlum’s main gate explodes in a spray of wood.

Music: Unrelenting Advance

:siren: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED LISTENING :siren:

That door is at least 20 feet high and 1 foot thick.

The Conqueror threw it with enough momentum that it took five seconds to land. Think about that for a minute.

That has got to be the bravest guard I’ve ever seen.

GAAAAAHHH!!

He’s a monster!
Help me!

Evacuate quickly! NOW!

What is he doing here?
ohgodohgodohgod
Get back!

That guard would rather be elsewhere, and Emma grants him his wish.

Of course. It’s obvious what the Conqueror wants here.

Emma kisses her glove as a prayer for good luck.

The Conqueror is in no hurry. He never is. He’s carrying the guard’s body by the head. I get the impression that he cared so little about that man that he forgot he was still carrying him.

And so begins the Battle of Athlum.

The Conqueror is holding his stolen sword one-handed and is still forcing Emma down.

His blows can shatter the street (but oddly not the sword).

A high kick, blocked.

Emma is forced back.

No anger. No hate. Not even irritation. No emotion at all.

He casually dodges blows aimed at his head.

His parry knocks Emma’s sword from her grip.

So close, but also so far.

The Conqueror circles Emma, a snake preparing to strike.

The serpent strikes when Emma is at her most distracted – but she was expecting that.

The Conqueror could have stabbed her when both her hands and blade were out of position, but he didn’t. He doesn’t even seem to be seriously trying to kill her. She’s just in his way.

This is not even remotely a contest and she knows it.

But still she tries.

Slowly, step, by step, the Conqueror continues to advance in spite of Emma trying every move she knows.

Emma tries an unorthodox parry + handstand into kick. It’s just as ineffective as everything else.

This parry knocks Emma down. It would be wrong to say the Conqueror is toying with her, because that implies that he enjoys it. The Conqueror simply doesn’t care.

Emma tries a grapple of her own.

The Conqueror misses a swipe as Emma rolls behind him. Finally, an opening.

She doesn’t waste it.

But takes a hard hit to the chest for her effort.

The Conqueror realizes something is different.

So he can bleed like any other man.

No one has ever even scratched him before.

They’re almost at the Valeria Heart. Emma is running out of room to back away.

I think Emma has made him mad.

Yep, he’s definitely ticked off now.

No more fooling.

This is not another one of the idle parries that the Conqueror has been doing all fight.

AAH-UH!!

Her right arm is broken. It’s almost over now.

He means to finish her.

Emma’s right arm may be useless now…

…But she can swordfight well with both arms.

And he’s got super-fast reflexes too? That’s just not fair.

No more sword. No more time.

Something’s missing here, but I can’t seem to figure out what.

Block THIS.

I don’t have the words or emoticons sufficient for this level of :suspense:

The Valeria Heart… did it…?

It missed.

The Conqueror punches Emma in the gut. And he can punch through doors.

He tosses her away like so much trash.

Wait, what’s that?

The… Tablet…

The Valeria Heart’s surface becomes covered in runes.

No… the Valeria Heart itself becomes the runes.

The Tablet has transformed the Valeria Heart into a Talisman. It’s now a much more convenient size, and more convenient to use.

Bastard… why do you…

:smith: Goodbye, Emma. You will be missed.

New Arts Summary

class changed to Legendary Ranger!
learned Wind Shear II!

One thing which was mentioned fairly early on was that the Valeria Heart was bound. The game never says who it was bound to, but there’s a fan theory that it was bound to Emma. I think I agree.

Emma, and her father before her, have loyally served Athlum for decades. If she was bound to the Valeria Heart, that would be why she, of all the generals, would be the most well-suited to remaining behind in Athlum.

Until this LP, I had assumed that it was the Conqueror who tried to use the Valeria heart to kill Emma. But thinking about it, that’s pretty silly. The Conqueror, for all his power, doesn’t do flashy things like that, he doesn’t need to. He already had Emma at his mercy and a simple sword swipe would have finished her.

Also, the Valeria Heart landed behind the Conqueror, not in front of him, as it would have if he was trying to kill Emma with it.

And more importantly, going frame-by-frame, it seems clear that the Conqueror was not the one who made it move. He was paying attention to Emma. She knew what was happening before he was. She was diving out of the way and he was reacting to it with surprise.

I think that the Valeria Heart moved at Emma’s desperate command or wish. It missed, but I don’t think that Emma had ever used it before (and it’s not great for hitting a man-sized target anyway). Remnants that powerful are not easy things to use for most people. Emma might have failed to hit the Conqueror with the Valeria Heart, but that doesn’t make the attempt any less awesome.

Another plausible alternative is that the Valeria Heart moved on its own (which suggests it was trying to protect Emma, which also supports the idea that it is... it was bound to her). What do you think?

In the character roster, I listed Emma as getting Hexes at BR 45. That’s not true. I was trying to hide the fact that Emma didn’t get any more new arts after Potions at BR 32.

Also, despite this having 2.5 times the normal number of screenshots, I didn’t want to split this update into two chapters to avoid everyone guessing that Emma was going to die days before I posted the second half.

To the Nest of Eagles
Battlefield: The Nest of Eagles
Courage and Honor

Discussion Question:

Next Time: …He’ll reign as the new God Emperor.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 9, 2017

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
This video is the only thing I've seen of the game for a longest time, but I had never actually analysed it all that much, and my question is (and it'll surely be explained later) just what exactly is The Conqueror? He is known of, so the other lords must have met him already, but that was no mere brute strength, this was actual swordmanship. So he's inhumanly strong and fast in addition to being able to bound Remnants almost at will. Just where did this guy come from? Because as far as I can see - although he's not invincible - he's almost a one-man army, so I think he just wasn't interested in conquering before, because it seems he could've if if he would've. Does he just come around periodically to kill some people and then go away? What does he need all that power for, having already proven himself to be so powerful?

I think he's intriguing and I can't want to see more of him. Emma made a brilliant effort, but there was just no way for her to win and I actually like that - it makes the scene that much more powerful and her last stand heroic.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 20, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
It's a seriously brutal scene, especially for Squeenix.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Szurumbur posted:

just what exactly is The Conqueror?

A dick.

(It'll be a long time before the game outright tells you what his deal is, but there are enough hints to make a good guess earlier if you pay attention.)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I really dislike this scene. It's certainly not ineffective. It's very proficiently crafted, and it serves its dramatic purpose extremely well, but that purpose is to throw away the most interesting character in the game just to show how bad-rear end the villain is. It's cheap and unnecessary at best, especially in light of what happens next.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Szurumbur posted:

This video is the only thing I've seen of the game for a longest time, but I had never actually analysed it all that much, and my question is (and it'll surely be explained later) just what exactly is The Conqueror? He is known of, so the other lords must have met him already, but that was no mere brute strength, this was actual swordmanship. So he's inhumanly strong and fast in addition to being able to bound Remnants almost at will. Just where did this guy come from? Because as far as I can see - although he's not invincible - he's almost a one-man army, so I think he just wasn't interested in conquering before, because it seems he could've if if he would've. Does he just come around periodically to kill some people and then go away? What does he need all that power for, having already proven himself to be so powerful?

I think he's intriguing and I can't want to see more of him. Emma made a brilliant effort, but there was just no way for her to win and I actually like that - it makes the scene that much more powerful and her last stand heroic.

These are all really excellent things to think about, great questions. The answers are of course, massive spoilers, so I can't say much.

The Conqueror was relatively unknown to the world at large until recently. He hasn't been around long enough for people to take him seriously. They scoff at him being the lord of the backwater town of Veyriel. I believe that he met the Congress in person for the first time in Chapter 21. Before that his request for a Remnant was probably just met with a form letter like "Thank you for your communication. Your situation will be considered and we will get back to you with a decision."

You are right in that his motives seem unclear. Wanting a Remnant is not unusual in the world, they are the main source of political power and make good weapons and deterrents to attack.

But just looking at the power he has, it seems clear that he wants Remnants for more reasons than just a seat at the Congress of Lords. Even if he is a one-man-army, you do still need troops to actually hold land (but the impression we get is that is not what he is after either).

RedTonic posted:

It's a seriously brutal scene, especially for Squeenix.

The worst part is the sounds that happen when the Conqueror uses his hands to kill.

FractalSandwich posted:

I really dislike this scene. It's certainly not ineffective. It's very proficiently crafted, and it serves its dramatic purpose extremely well, but that purpose is to throw away the most interesting character in the game just to show how bad-rear end the villain is. It's cheap and unnecessary at best, especially in light of what happens next.

You're not entirely wrong. Emma was the most developed of the four Generals of Athlum, and it sucks to lose her. I would not say that she was "fridged", though.

This scene was not just about killing Emma for shock value or showing that the Conqueror is a badass. It showed who Emma and the Conqueror were.

Emma promised Lord David that she would take care of Athlum, defending it with her life, and she meant it. Her manner of death was of her own agency. She could have run or retreated once it became clear the Conqueror beyond her. No one would have blamed her... except herself. Emma ordered the scared soldier to retreat and protect the civilians.

The Conqueror was here for a single purpose. Despite his name, he did not come to conquer Athlum, or kill its citizens. The gate guard would have lived had he not drawn his weapon on the Conqueror. Even the fight with Emma, he did not seem terribly interested in killing her, and he only really seemed to get serious when she wounded him.

The Conqueror did not come to talk. Not to warn, not to threaten, not to give an ultimatum, not even to explain. He didn't say a single thing in the entire encounter. He came for the Valeria Heart, and when he had it, his expression was just as empty as it was before. No smugness, no gloating, no smile, no sense of satisfaction, and he turned and left without another look back. More than anything else, the Conqueror's actions resemble someone doing a job they don't particularly care for. He did it efficiently, but without pleasure.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It also probably would have been hell trying to figure out how to effectively animate Pagus, Blocter, or Torgal in a fight with the Conqueror :v:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

This is why the Conqueror is such an effective villain to me. Some villains gloat, or are insane, or are hammy, or have something that makes them villainous. The Conqueror is a force. He, as explained, didn't care about killing anyone, he didn't come to subjugate Athlum or David or for any reason to hurt the player, and he's not the sort of try hard edgy character to go "Tch, nothing personal kid" Because even that would be putting a face or emotion on the killing.

Even were the entire party here, you could no more have stopped him then you could have stopped the wind blowing.

In my head, The Conqueror is what a theoretical 'God of War or Battle' would be like. Just a force that you cannot stop, no matter what you throw in his way. Which from my view makes him more chilling than your standard villain.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The worst design decision in the game is coming up!

And for a saga game, that's really saying something.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

You're not entirely wrong. Emma was the most developed of the four Generals of Athlum, and it sucks to lose her. I would not say that she was "fridged", though.

This scene was not just about killing Emma for shock value or showing that the Conqueror is a badass. It showed who Emma and the Conqueror were.

Emma promised Lord David that she would take care of Athlum, defending it with her life, and she meant it. Her manner of death was of her own agency. She could have run or retreated once it became clear the Conqueror beyond her. No one would have blamed her... except herself. Emma ordered the scared soldier to retreat and protect the civilians.
You make a fair point. I'll come back to this a little later, because the thing about it that really sticks in my craw hasn't happened yet.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Serious Frolicking posted:

The worst design decision in the game is coming up!

And for a saga game, that's really saying something.

FractalSandwich posted:

You make a fair point. I'll come back to this a little later, because the thing about it that really sticks in my craw hasn't happened yet.

You guys are talking about the thing which happens next chapter, right? Yeah, that just does not work that well.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

You guys are talking about the thing which happens next chapter, right? Yeah, that just does not work that well.

If we're all talking about the same thing, yeah, if only because... it's never really got anything done with it

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Something about that casual spray of stone the Conqueror flicks up at Emma really gets to me and makes me think 'jesus this Conqueror guy is real good at murdering folks isn't he'.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That was less a man and more a force of nature.

I guess that makes the death a little less personal, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.
Emma Honeywell made this game for me. It just never felt as fun with her gone. And yeah, that other thing that happens next... It's no apology.

It arguably makes it worse.

• Locked thread