Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Glazius posted:

I'll say this, it doesn't really feel like you've stepped into any kind of final town.

It's pretty impressive. And pretty. And I don't think it's meant to give off a "Final Battle Here Soon" ambiance.

Also I think we should have a new page with this post which might be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I've also just caught up with the LP. Looking forward to what's coming.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Tell her…I died.

Stabbey has learned Vivification Herb!
Stabbey uses Vivification Herb on thread!

Previously:

Chapter XXI: Mister… Conquerer, is it?

I’m trash, alright? A bad guy. Get seen talking to be and your precious reputation’ll be ruined. Get it? Stay the hell away from me.
Alright, geez…

Chapter XXV: You owe me a corpse, rear end in a top hat!

Everyone in town said I was cursed...said all I could do was bring bad luck. Only a baby and they completely loathed me.
Geez, that’s really rough…
So I grew up, and I hated them right back, every last damned person in that village.
I beat 'em up, cursed 'em out... By the end, even my own ma couldn't stand me...
I’m sorry. I don’t really know what to say to that.
So don’t say anything. Now beat it, I wanna be alone.

Chapter XXXIV-A: This must be some kind of mistake!

Hey.
…Hey, kid.
A while ago, you were telling me about your village?

So I left the village, and started making a name for myself as the fierce bandit Loki. Killing people, hunting 'em down, hating them... Every day, that's all I did. And that was all I wanted to do. But one day I met this kid... Frackin' changed everything.
How so?
I'm finishing up a job - casing this house - when I realize there's a little girl there. I don't screw around, I go on and pull my knife.
That’s really messed up!
But right at the part where they usually start screaming and wailing, she pops out and says hi, all cheery-like. Says she just wants to talk...says she wants to be friends. Turns out the girl's blind. 'Course, I didn't believe it at first. I figured she was like the rest, tryin' to pull one over on my. But turned out she just wanted a friend. It was the first time that'd ever happened...the first time I'd come across someone who was actually happy I was there. The first and only... I mean, hell, my own parents don't want poo poo to do with me, and this random little girl - Reya's her name - wants to be pals. Ain't that a trip...
And that made you decide to change?
...Seriously, she saved me. Who knows what I would become... That's why I been searching for something to fix her eyesight all this time. She's done so much for me... I wanna at least try to pay her back.
If you ever need any help, just ask.

As hinted at a couple times, Loki’s sidequest has now unlocked. But you don’t go to the pub, or even to Loki, but to Athlum’s town square.

Errr… he’s not here.
How annoying! He disappeared while I was still talking and I hadn’t finished my story! … Uh… Um… Oops, sorry! Did you want something?

I’m Rush.
Rush, huh? Got it. What a cool name!
Do you know Loki?
What? You're asking if I know Loki? I sure do! He's my friend. Are you his friend, too? Be nice to him, okay? He's really, really shy.

Loki has moved into the bar, because now he has a quest to give us.

What’s up?
I might've told you already, but I'm lookin' for an elixir to fix Reya's eyesight. I haven't gotten lucky yet, but I managed to get hold of some information from some merchants passin' through. In a place not too far away grows a flower called "Visuminsumo." Apparently, it's got the power to give people their sight back.
Woah, really?
You can find the flowers at the top of Mt. Vackel. At least, that's what I heard. I woulda gone once I heard the stuff existed, but I gotta be careful... if somethin' were to happen to me, Reya'd be devastated. Plus, travelin' with you, I can't just go off on my own. So, wouldja come to Mt. Vackel with me to get Reya some visuminsumos?

She’s a cutie. I’ll go.
Knew I could count on ya. I have a vague idea of what the flowers look like, so once we get there, leave it to me.

Accepted quest: The Villain and the Sightless Girl

The other option is just being a dick.

Music: Rolling Hills, Sprawling Plains

Loki wants me to go with him to Mt. Vackel. We need to get some visuminsumos so a girl he likes can get her sight back.

This quest starts you out on the Undelwalt side of Mt. Vackel, which is strange since you’re coming from Athlum.

Let’s fight a random encounter or two. Loki is leading the mystics union because it’s his quest, and Khrynia has taken over leading Irina’s union.

learned Blackout!
learned Confuse!
learned Poison Gas III!
learned Refresh!

And Loki learns Blackout. Good, done.

- Boss Video: The Welkin Dragon

Rush, thanks for lending a hand. Let’s get outta here before…
ROOAAARRRR!
drat… I was afraid of this. The merchants mentioned this monster... Mainly that it almost killed 'em. It'll go away if we leave the flowers, but I can't do that. Come on, Rush!
Nevermind the merchants, YOU could have mentioned this to ME!

Mission: Defeat the Welkin Dragon

Music: Beat the Odds

We’re fighting a boss dragon and his friend. This is going to be a bit of a tough fight since Dragons like to use their AoE breath weapon, and when there are two of them, that’s going to be a problem. Piling onto one encourages use of the breath weapon, but they can use it anyway even if you don’t.

Uh-oh.

He barely survived that, but that should be a one-shot kill for pretty much any of my unions under any circumstances.

And Paris gets petrified, which is a KO if taking any more damage. That appears to be a property of the normal attack of this second dragon, too. Lovely

No way!

Moonshadow is the top-tier Power Grip – Katana art.

Hopefully this gets the morale moving in a better direction.

I-I know size isn’t everything, but…
Today fortune smiles on us soldiers!

I really wanted Loki to use Blackout, but he isn’t casting any Invocations at all, never mind Spark V.

Are you still with us?

Another lucky survival break for Ghor. Not much else happened this turn.

I meant to do that!

I’ve… been negligent…

Actually, that’s me for failing to heal him.

Khrynia is the main Shards-user, so now that she’s in the party I should go to Nagapur so she can actually use more than just the base art.

This ain’t no time to be sleepin’ on the job!
Thank you!

Music: Struggle Eternal

You okay?

There’s the one-two punch I was talking about. Luckily we’re still fairly okay.

Rush will keep his HP up. Ghor will attack the Welkin Dragon. Loki will try to heal a wounded union, and Khrynia’s union will have Irina use Second Chance to revive Jager.

Close, but not enough, so Rush’s Revitalize will fully heal his union.

The Welkin Dragon has Instakill on its attacks, so Emmy gets KO’ed.

Irina restores Jager, and Caedmon and Blocter team-up to heal their union back to full.

You won’t have to do that again!

Showing up late to the party, Loki’s union heals Ghor’s union to full, and David brings Emmy back, so we’re back to perfect health all around.

I hope that putting this up will end up helping me. I’m not sure if it will, I suspect the breath attacks are all Mystic arts, but I’m not completely sure.

Cheeky little -

This should hopefully prevent the end-of-turn breath attack.

Luckily Ghor was the only union deadlocked with the Welkin dragon, and there is indeed no breath attack from the second dragon.

Violet is putting all those ranks in Remedies to good use.

Like no way! I missed?!

Blocter is really getting into his work.

I’m gonna destroy you!

*crazy laughter*

Music: Turn the Tide

It took long enough, but the second dragon is finally going down.

Fool!

That takes care of that.

That’s a strong one, huh?

As always, Glenys, your ability to state the obvious is masterful.

Ugh… Fail…
We shan’t lose to the likes of you!

Sure, I’ll bring in a summon, that’s almost always helpful. Jager should also use Beowulf, because Dragons are annoying as hell. Ghor will heal himself and Loki will bring back Khrynia.

Oh, come on. Since it’s not a leader, whether or not I’ll get the chance to revive Gaou is a coin flip.

Music: Struggle Eternal

I’m glad he never used that on any of my normal unions.

I guess the dragon was more hurt than I thought, it’s now in critical.

Not bad.

I could do a full attack, but I’m going to waste a turn doing as little as possible in the hopes of getting a resurrection command for Gaou on the next turn.

Don’t let a punk like that take you out!

Interesting, I thought Grenade Impact V would do a hell of a lot more damage, given that next chapter’s boss uses it to great effect at squashing me.

No resurrection commands for Gaou this time either.

Not that it mattered. Oh well, Gaou misses out on the XP this time. It happens.

learned Revitalize IV!
class changed to Lordly Ataraxian!

Rush, I need another favor. I don't want Reya to know what I look like. I'm hideous. Can you take these to her instead? And give her this message. Tell her...I died.
What?! Are you sure?
…Yeah.

Loki asked me to give you these flowers.
Huh? You have flowers for me? From Loki? I don't know why he's being so shy, since we're such good friends! These flowers smell wonderful! Do you know what they're called?...
I think they’re called Visiums or something. They’re supposed to um, cure blindness.
What? Really!? These flowers can make me see again?
I think so.
... Alright. I don't care how it happens, I just want to be able to see!

I can see! I can really see! So this is what the world looks like... It's amazing! Do you know where Loki is? I have to thank him right away!
Err… umm…

Uh…
Say something! Please?... Fine! I'll go look for him myself!

Loki!

No, not at all! You're exactly like I'd imagined you'd be! Better, even... I never told you this, but I know all about you, Loki. I've known all along. Even what you did to Father.
*gasp*
To be honest, I despised you at first. But now, all I want is you beside me. I know now. I know that you're the only one for me.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you this fine example of Stockholm Syndrome.

Thank you, Reya... Thank you. I'll go help out Rush a bit more. Back in a flash.
I'll be here!

Unlocked Hurricane! You’ve unlocked a more powerful version of an existing formation!
Completed quest: The Villain and the Sightless Girl

Reya can see now, thanks to the visuminsumos! Loki thought his ugliness would scare her away, but it looks like they're closer than ever.

Okay…
Wow. You’re so attentive to my needs. Do you like me or something?

All this sitting around is making me nervous… What say we pick up some battles, hmm?
Sounds like a plan.
Good. Let’s go.

I’m pretty sure that she’s the one who sold it to us in the first place. And Loki isn’t going to battle, since he’s now going to be warming the bench now that his sidequest is done. Kate will take his place since her arts are better.

My eyes work fine, but my heart wasn't letting 'em see worth a drat. All I'd ever see was darkness and pain. It's only thanks to Reya that I been able to clear some o' that darkness away...her an'... Huh. It's funny how easy it is to find friends. You just gotta open up a little.

Parameter Bonus! You have become chummy with Loki, thus awakening his true powers!

Loki gets a 5 percent bonus to Speed. It’s okay I guess. Sorry for the long delay. Next time, we’ll be taking on one of the special bonus bosses. It’s in service of a very good cause, trust me.

New Arts Summary
learned Blackout!
learned Confuse!
learned Poison Gas III!
learned Refresh!
learned Revitalize IV!
class changed to Lordly Ataraxian!

Boss Video: The Welkin Dragon

Alternate Dialogue:

You can find the flowers at the top of Mt. Vackel. At least, that's what I heard. I woulda gone once I heard the stuff existed, but I gotta be careful... if somethin' were to happen to me, Reya'd be devastated. Plus, travelin' with you, I can't just go off on my own. So, wouldja come to Mt. Vackel with me to get Reya some visuminsumos?

You really want her to see you?
I want her to see, period. If you can find the time to help me out, lemme know.

He's...dead.
No... That can't be... I mean, Loki can't be... He just...can't...... Rush, you're lying, right? I don't believe you. I can't. Loki would never leave me. Never!

And then it continues as before with Reya walking to her left and spotting Loki.

Next Time: Hello? Why are you like, dead?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 12, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I'm not exactly sure what we're detouring to deal with here.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Onmi posted:

I'm not exactly sure what we're detouring to deal with here.

I put Khrynia in the leader spot for a reason. After this update, I looked up Khrynia on the wiki, and learned that I needed to do an additional step before that reason could happen. I'm detouring to accomplish that additional step.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I put Khrynia in the leader spot for a reason. After this update, I looked up Khrynia on the wiki, and learned that I needed to do an additional step before that reason could happen. I'm detouring to accomplish that additional step.

Ah I think I get it now, that should be fun.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah...that was...I'm not sure I'd call that a happy ending. I'll just focus on the fact that a girl got her sight back. Not the...rest of it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I'm sure that's just supposed to be childish affection and not what it otherwise might sound like.

By the way, I don't remember if you've mentioned it, but do you have to put quest characters in charge of a union, or in a union at all, or are you doing that for the LP?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Lotish posted:

Yeah, I'm sure that's just supposed to be childish affection and not what it otherwise might sound like.

By the way, I don't remember if you've mentioned it, but do you have to put quest characters in charge of a union, or in a union at all, or are you doing that for the LP?

Childish affection for the guy who murdered your real parents is still kinda odd, though.

I'm just doing that for the LP for fun, they're only required to be in your party (in general, not even active party). In fact, there's an odd duck of a quest two updates from now where you can only get that quest if you have a certain person in your party, and yet officially, they get no dialogue or appearance at all.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Yep, that sidequest was kinda disturbing, hopefully is a bad translation and not Japan being Japan. Anyway, good to see this back. I got the game in a Humble Bundle and I'm slowly making progress, mostly by beating my head repeatedly against the mechanics and checking the wiki a lot.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Maybe she just didn't care for her parents

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I was ready to say that I have a soft spot for Loki's character because the guy grew up rough and hated, and I'm glad that he just wants to help out the only person who was ever nice to him, but.... Seriously, they could have totally left out the one line about Reya's parents being killed and I would've been fine. Just let me have my heartwarming story where a blind girl being all bubbly was enough to redeem a tragic brute, drat you! :argh:

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Loki has a very similar backstory to Guts from Berserk. Only is some kind of mace mage thing instead of The Black Swordsman? Little unclear on Loki's current abilities TBH. Even the looking after a disabled person is similar to what happens after The Golden Age arc of Berserk in some ways (very tangential ways).

Wait... does this mean we're the Band of the Hawk? Oh gently caress abandon ship everyone. :frogout:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose "run away" isn't a workable course of action when faced with one dragon, let alone two.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Thanks to everyone who posted for their support, even after half a month without updates.

I am working on the next update, but it's mostly combat videos. They're all really long so I'm starting with the success video first and then use that to determine what I have room to show off of the failure attempts. This isn't really worth splitting into two updates.

Zushio posted:

Loki has a very similar backstory to Guts from Berserk. Only is some kind of mace mage thing instead of The Black Swordsman? Little unclear on Loki's current abilities TBH. Even the looking after a disabled person is similar to what happens after The Golden Age arc of Berserk in some ways (very tangential ways).

Wait... does this mean we're the Band of the Hawk? Oh gently caress abandon ship everyone. :frogout:

Remember kids, friends don't let friends post about anime.

Glazius posted:

I suppose "run away" isn't a workable course of action when faced with one dragon, let alone two.

There is no ability to run from ANY battles in Last Remnant. No, really, you can't run or escape at all.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 9, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Is there an auto battle option for when you get into trash fights or is Turbo mode the best you get?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Lotish posted:

Is there an auto battle option for when you get into trash fights or is Turbo mode the best you get?

Turbo is the best you get.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
There is only kill or kill faster, Retreat is not an option - Let's Play The Last Remnant
:black101:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tbf turbo is a fair clip faster and after some time playing the game you start to see the code and random battles become a formality rather than a pain.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

I thought that Berserk was immune from the whole anime stigma these days. :(

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

You are playing an anime, there's no return now.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Hello? Why are you like, dead?

With Loki’s quest completed, he’s back on the bench, and so this will be in essence our final party makeup. People will switch around from time to time, but we won’t be swapping any of the active party to the bench for any notable reasons.

Our first stop is to Nagapur to outfit Khrynia. In addition to all the money it cost to hire her, her specialty is Shards, which are sold at Items by Dorenzio, to the right of the bar.

Naturally, they are the most expensive Item Art. It costs in the ballpark of 180 THOUSAND G just to get 50 of each Shards. Shards are super-expensive.

But selling a half-dozen Bai Ze dragons helps a lot towards paying for it though. So does the Heaven’s Lord we caught from Mt. Vackel, who is worth 75,000 G. Shards obtained, let us move on to the meat of the mission.

Near the end of the Realm of the Sea Monster zone in Fornstrand lurks the Eldritch Dragon, one of the bonus bosses. It’s one of the bonus DLC monsters added to the Xbox version (and integrated into the PC version.

For those who are wondering about “post-game content”, well, this is one bit of it. Its base BR is 90-92, it has over half a million hit points (584,707-609,329), and it has a whole slew of really painful and damaging attacks. It also gets an additional attack at the end of every second turn (either a breath attack, or a wail if your morale is too high).

Extra Mission: Defeat an Eldritch Dragon!

Music: Clash of Opposites

This will eat up a lot of screenshots if I try to go turn-by-turn for every attempt, so I’ll just do the highlights (or rather, lowlights) of the failed attempts.

The Eldritch Dragon has a large set of devastating abilities, like Mystic Mine V. It did 3700+ damage and that’s with one of my units dodging it completely.

It can choose to use breath attacks during its turn, in addition to the ones it gets at the end of every other turn.

You all right?
Yay! We’re totally BFF!

Well fought…

I look like I’m mostly in good shape to survive this end-of-turn attack, right?

I shan’t lose to the likes of you!

Wrong! I actually did recover from that situation, believe it or not

Without Cachexia stripping the dragon of its AP, that would have easily one-shot any of my unions, but definitely Wyngale’s.

As if he didn’t have enough nasty powers.

Once again, I’ll note that everyone except Jager’s union was at full HP, and they got one-shot.

Hey, have some life, okay?

Moonlight is the Shards healing art, and it’s pretty good. It’s 1000 HP per unit at the base level, and it goes up from there, so with our current HP even the base art is a full heal.

He can do Arcana as well?

The KO effect hit on Rush, but because he’s a Ninja, he resisted it.

Finally, 17 turns and 20 minutes in, the Eldritch Dragon is in critical. It looks like we may be able to pull this off!

Are you kidding me? This too?

Don’t let him take you out!

Rhagoh…

That was one long failure.

Okay, I’ve re-organized my unions. After one battle, it became very clear that the Eldritch Dragon hits too hard for me to try this with 5 unions.

I broke Jager’s union up, and sent him to Rush’s union, Gaou went to Ghor’s union, and Paris went to Wyngale’s union. Before that, I also swapped Violet and Caedmon, to make sure that Ghor’s union had someone who could use Vivification Herbs.

Of course, one big issue which completely slipped my mind is that only Rush has special arts or Arcana available as a leader. This was not exactly a fight I should have been neglecting those.

Only 19000 damage? I guess all that resistance counts for a lot.

This guy has a huge list of arts.

Sure, let’s show that off. We haven’t seen it yet.

He’s in critical on Turn 7, which is really fast. Hitting that critical trigger on a perfect was a TERRIBLE idea though, I should have missed it on purpose. It’s hard to not hit them because of muscle memory.

- Video: Bel’kwinith’s Fury

Because Ghor moved before the Eldritch Dragon, his special move happened first, and after the special move goes off, you lose your 98% dodge chance. So on turns when you’ve got a special move coming, do NOT hit your critical triggers unless that will happen before the enemy’s turn anyway.

Three of my four unions are dead and Ghor is at half-health. This is a death spiral.

Fights like these are perfect for Summons.

Turn 3 just finished. The next turn will be Turn 4, which means that there’s a breath attack coming at the end of it which I have no chance of stopping, 3/5ths of my unions are dead and the others are at half-health. This is such a bad situation so early on that it’s better to just abandon the attempt now.

I once again get the chance to summon.

Khrynia survives that, but Rush doesn’t. And this is an even-numbered turn, so…

W-Wait…

I need much better tactics. I also need a much better brain because after 3 failed attempts I still don’t have Irina, Kate, or Emmy leading any of their unions.

Okay, I’ll give this another shot. This time, I’ve put all my unions into the Batwings formation, in the hopes of spreading them out enough so that not all units take damage. I’ve also decided that whenever possible, only ONE union should engage the dragon at a time, for the same reason, to limit damage from the breath attack AoE’s.

I’ve now realized that I am using non-ideal leaders. Still not doing anything about it, thought! If this does not work, my next step will be to put Emmy and Irina in charge of their respective unions so they can use Rejuvenating Water as a command.

- Bonus Boss Video: Eldritch Dragon

Everyone will stand by except Wyngale, who will lower the morale of the dragon, and Khrynia who has no standby option and will attack from long range.

W-wait! I don’t wanna fight the guys that might win!

Not much happened last turn except that the dragon took a chunk out of Pagus. Rush will lower morale, and Paris will throw up an Orphic Ward, Khrynia will continue attacking from long range.

That was superb timing from Paris.

That did nothing thanks to the Orphic Ward.

That got the morale into a pretty good spot.

Damnit…
Gird yourselves, men!

Unfortunately it didn’t do anything to help with the end-of-turn attack.

Ghor is in the best shape, so he’ll engage the dragon while Wyngale revives and Khrynia heals.

Duke Ghor’s union had the highest health, and he was uninjured.

I’m doing the Rear Assault less for the damage boost and more for the morale boost.

The Earth Bind Shard art.

Oh!
There you go!

You won’t have to do that again!

Come on, we’ve caught ‘em with their pants down!

Son-of-a-!

I can’t believe this!

AoE weapons sadly don’t seem to care about Rear Assaults. So half my unions are dead, and normally this would be a sign of a death spiral, but I’ll keep going anyway.

Oh come now, walk it AGH!

Okay, so now I decide to have both unions break to resurrect.

Pagus!

Gee, that went well.

This is the end…

That Cachexia really would have come in handy happening BEFORE the Darkbreath. Luckily for me though, I had sent two unions to resurrect Rush’s union, so I had a spare revive waiting to get Wyngale back on his feet immediately.

Oh hell yes. This right here will be my key to victory. Fights like these are the reason Summons exist. Wyngale will attack, everyone else will stand by.

Great, now there’s a Curse to deal with.

What the Cyclops allows me to do is to keep a deadlock going even if all my other unions want to do other things. Rush will clear that curse, Ghor will be doing a full attack, and everyone else will be standing by except Khrynia because again, she doesn’t have that option. I think it’s because she has Combat Arts, Item Arts and Mystic arts all enabled.

Annoying, but at least Gaou got his attack off first. Unfortunately, Caedmon missed completely, some of Gaou’s Rift Cleaver didn’t connect, and Emmy was blocked.

We’re actually in good enough shape to not need the arcana. Caedmon will be reviving Gaou, Kate and Paris will be using Cachexia and Orphic Ward respectively, and Khrynia will flank.

Caedmon revives Gaou, just in time for the entire union to be easily one-shot.

Thank you Kate, that could have been really ugly if not for your very well-timed Cachexia.

Painful, but it didn’t finish Rush off, so he can use Mixed Message to get morale up.

Breaking deadlock is a great idea for Rush since Cyclops will prevent any Raidlocks, and also Rush can only do a Rear Assault if he is not currently in a deadlock. Wyngale’s union will be doing a massive attack with mystic arts including another possible Cachexia. Irina will go revive Ghor’s union.

No good luck with Cachexia this time, and no healing for Rush.

Still at least that attack did a decent chunk of damage.

Good, I can use this turn to bring back both Rush and Wyngale without getting Raidlocked.

This right here is the ideal scenario for this fight. All my normal unions are at full health and not engaged with the Eldritch Dragon. Cyclops is deadlocked with it, preventing it from attacking anyone else.

One thing I’ve mentioned before is that if you get a Rear Assault in one turn, you get that option in the next turn as well because you had it in the previous turn. I’m going to have Rush do constant Rear Assaults while the other unions ONLY heal or stand by. They will never attack if possible.

Of course the one flaw in the plan is that if Cyclops dies, then the Dragon will engage someone else.

Like, don’t be such a klutz!

But all this healing should help a lot.

This boss is annoying.

No, seriously, past me, don’t attack the boss. Hello? Anyone up there?

I meant to do that!

There we go. Finally the dragon is in critical… again.

Just keep repeating the Rear Assaults and this should finish it off eventually.

It’s not a perfect system, I’ll admit, but it’s the best I can do.

Awww…
Stop slacking!

Hang in there!

Rush is hit by the end of turn attack, but that’s no reason to stop Rear Assaulting.

Have some life, okay?

Get ready for the best move you will ever see!

Aw, what are you doing?!
I meant to do that!

The Eldritch Dragon has an impressive amount of health.

It’s hurting enough though, that it’s using Desperate Wail to alter morale instead of doing a breath attack.

It’s too little, too late though, as Cyclops polishes it off.

learned Protection II!
learned Vivification Herb IV!
learned Confuse IV!
learned:
  • Rejuvenate!
  • Vivification Tincture!

The Eldritch Dragon drops the Witch’s Seal which, it shouldn’t surprise you after all the “X’s Witch” quests, is an accessory requested by Khrynia.

Okay!
Great! Then let’s get going!

Rush, you ever heard of Necrotic Metal? I was hoping you’d come with me to look for some.
Alrighty!
It’s appreciated.

Hey! You know what would be super-special awesome? Tough Killer Insect Husk! Let’s find some!
Yeah, let’s go.
Awesome-possum! So let’s saddle up!

Rush, I have need of a Mystic Skelenyte. Have we the time to obtain one?
Yeah, let’s go.
You have my gratitude. Let us be off.

What’s good? I’m thinking we should get some Demon Mane? It’ll be the jump-off.
Alrighty!
Word. Then let’s roll.

Oh, so like, Tough Killer Insect Husk? I totally need some? So, like, let’s go on a harvesting journey!
Like, totally for sure!
Sweet! This is totally not uncool of you.

Ergh, more requests. Well, I guess I should do another round of them. Not now, but soonish. There’s still a couple more dungeons to unlock before all areas are open. I won’t have to worry about Darien’s though, since as soon as I pop into Elysion, he says he wants to fight, which means he’s upgraded his stuff and probably has a different request now.

Defeating the Eldritch Dragon completes the hidden quest Gwayn’s Bellow.

Okay…
Wow. You’re so attentive of my needs. Do you like me or something?

Hey, Rush. I’ve been thinking about learning Traps… What do you think?
Go for it!
You think? I don’t know how useful it’ll be, but you never know until you try, right?

So, you gonna let me borrow your Holy Relic, or what?
Okay.
Seriously? You aren’t half bad.

After fighting a bunch of battles and visiting a few locations Khrynia finally gets around to asking about the Witch’s Seal. I’m turning Emmy’s Traps off. Now after all this hassle, you have to be wondering what the big drat deal is with Witch’s Seal. Well, I’ll show you.

learned Dual Snowpetal!

- Video: Rare Monster Sugriva

The Witch’s Seal teaches Khrynia the very special art Dual Snowpetal.

- Video: Dual Snowpetal

This art requires both Khrynia and Irina in the same union with one as the union leader. It’s our version of Hannah and Hinnah’s Twin Snowpetal.

Totally worth it. Also some helpful forum posters have provided translations for the Japanese:

asymmetrical posted:

The Japanese characters that appear during Dual Snowpetal spell out "せつげっか?" (Setsugekka) or "Snow, moon, and flowers?"
Why the question mark... I guess because it's the bootleg version of Twin Snowpetal?

Junkozeyne posted:

When Hannah and Hinnah use it at their Koenigsdorf fight the animation spells it out with stylized versions of the corresponding Kanji 雪, 月 and 花 (Setsugekka), so by placing the hiragana versions instead combined with the ? it's to show that it's a copied attack. Japanese humor :japan:

class changed to Lordly Ninja!
learned Permafrost II!

learned Moonset II!

That’s enough for today. Next time, a history refresher.

New Arts Summary
class changed to Lordly Ninja!
learned Protection II!
learned Vivification Herb IV!
learned Confuse IV!
learned:
  • Rejuvenate!
  • Vivification Tincture!
learned Stun Trap!
learned Dual Snowpetal!
learned Permafrost II!
learned Moonset II!

Bel’kwinith’s Fury
Eldritch Dragon
Rare Monster Sugriva
Dual Snowpetal

Next time won’t be a normal update, but a bonus one recapping what the game has revealed to us so far about the Imperator, an important historical figure. Then a really big sidequest, before we head into the final parts of the game.

Next Time: Bonus: The Imperator

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 13, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh em gee! I can like, totally figure out that double ninja move!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Im curious: What's the ingame timer at?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Im curious: What's the ingame timer at?

Sorry, I couldn't tell you. The game doesn't keep track of that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Khrynia having a Dual Art with Irina made me think that they intended to flesh out a lot of the party member relationships, unfortunately there's not much there, which is kinda disappointing, but then again they shove so much into the game already.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
The Japanese characters that appear during Dual Snowpetal spell out "せつげっか?" (Setsugekka) or "Snow, moon, and flowers?"
Why the question mark... I guess because it's the bootleg version of Twin Snowpetal?

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

asymmetrical posted:

When Hannah and Hinnah use it at their Koenigsdorf fight the animation spells it out with stylized versions of the corresponding Kanji 雪, 月 and 花 (Setsugekka), so by placing the hiragana versions instead combined with the ? it's to show that it's a copied attack. Japanese humor :japan:

Junkozeyne fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 14, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Junkozeyne posted:

Thanks for the translations, I'll add those posts to the chapter.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I really like the idea of a character who attacks with Z-grade versions of other characters' special attacks, but I imagine it's just the one.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Glazius posted:

I really like the idea of a character who attacks with Z-grade versions of other characters' special attacks, but I imagine it's just the one.

Well Torgal did nick the other guys guns.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

The Imperator immediately struck back

We keep hearing a lot about the Imperator. So I thought I’d put together a post to collect most of the information about him ahead of the next update.

The Imperator and the Kingdom of Glenys

Chapter XV: Even now, I don’t like to go to the bathroom alone

The desert’s plenty dangerous, but it’s worth bravin’ it for all the treasure hidden out there. Rumor going ‘round the guild is that beneath the Great Sand Sea is the ruins of the greatest of the Old Kingdoms – the Kingdom of Glenys. What I’d give to get even a look at that loot…

Wise Old Man: That strength threatened the Imperator, and he set his armies against them. When the dust cleared, the desert country was destroyed. However… the spirits of the warriors from the defeated land still lurk within the desert’s sands, awaiting the perfect time for revenge… My great-grandfather first told me that tale when I was just a little boy. Man, was I spooked! I was always home by dark after that! Even now, I don’t like to go to the bathroom alone… Eheheh.

A thousand years ago, there was a great kingdom in the desert. Its military was renowned around the world. And within that force was the queensguard – the Mantroskylo. Their prowess in battle is still sung in legend today. They were heroes who sealed countless wild monsters. A brotherhood who protected their queen like an iron wall. Skilled warriors who could win while outnumbered a thousand to one. However, they were eventually destroyed by their own strength. They turned into monsters, and turned upon the Imperator. The Imperator immediately struck back. After a fierce battle on both sides, the Imperator took the Tao Tie and sealed the Mantroskylo.
Sounds like an old story. What’s the big deal?
Young traveler, this is no simple nursery-tale. After a thousand years, the Mantroskylo have returned. They assemble against Balterossa to take back the Tao Tie. This cannot be allowed, no matter the cost. Somehow, the force that was strong enough to even plague the Imperator must be defeated.

That story seems to clash with the other story. In the Wise Old Man's version, the Imperator was threatened by the strength of that country and attacked it. The Advisor's story is that the Mantroskylo turned into monsters and attacked the Imperator. The Imperator somehow sealed the Mantroskylo away - it didn't destroy them (probably because of how dangerous they were), but they have returned. I guess the seal expired.

Chapter XXVI: My heart was the only casualty

Oh yeah!
I see, you struck without hesitation. Then, I give you this.
Reward: 20000 G
Balterossa's crisis has passed. Still, why would the Mantroskylo betray the Imperator to begin with? Perhaps some day the truth will come to light. Until then, be well, young traveler."

I destroyed the royal troop of Mantroskylo, protectors of the ancient desert kingdom. We'll never know its history, but at least Balterossa's safe.

The Imperator and Marion Marshall

Chapter XXIII: They nearly killed me in the past -OR- A Date with Emma

You might have heard of Marion Marshall. She was the one who bound the Remnant Elysion to herself and wed the God Emperor. The power she held was extraordinary - the power to erase the bindings of the Remnants and replace them with her own.

The Imperator and the Brimuslabus

Chapter XVII: Talk about an epic failure!

Yeah, kinda hard to miss those.
Town legend says there was some terrible monster running wild, but the Imperator took the Remnant and sealed it in that very spot.
Huh…
‘Course, that was hundreds of years ago… If’n there’s any truth to it, I sure ain’t the one to tell. Only half-believe it myself, actually.

Chapter LX: There weren’t any floating around in yours

I'll be a monkey's uncle. That story 'bout the demon and the Imperator was the honest truth after all. Damnation, 'til now we been able to drive off everyone tryin' to get their hands on the Brimuslabus. How in blazes did this happen? Welp, ain't nothin' to be done about it now. I was raised here by my pappy and him by his pappy before that. I'm stayin' here 'til the end.

Chapter LXXIX: It, which was once sealed within the Brimuslabus - The Fallen...

Err… what will?
It, which was once sealed within the Brimuslabus - The Fallen... Centuries ago, a monster suddenly appeared and threw the world in turmoil—nothing but chaos and fear. The ignorant civilians, seeing the magnitude of its power, began referring to it as a divine being... Heh. According to Him, the beast was created by the world to destroy Remnants. I care not why it exists—simply that it does.

Chapter LXXX: I am finally free.

Now...now I can finally fulfill my dream... I can destroy Him! I can feel it... I can feel His soul grasping desperately to this world. Heh.... Heheh... It is time to die, fool!
Uhh… which fool do you mean? Because people often call me…
... I apologize. I was merely caught up in my own exhilaration. Here is a token of my gratitude.
No need to worry... He is next. I will take care of Him.

Chapter LXXXII: I’m supposed to be the mysticky one, okay?

Err… after we beat the Fallen, you talked about someone called “him”. Who did you mean?
Who do I mean? Who indeed? Could be anyone. Could be someone you know very well... Heheheheh..
Not helpful.

Woah, wasn’t that like a thousand years ago?
You don't believe me? Heheheh...
I didn’t say that…
The bastard was...unpleasant, to say the least. I infuriated him because of my awesome strength and the fact that he couldn't break my spirit. So when he ran out of use for me, he forced me to bind the Brimuslabus and act as the Fallen's seal. What a pitiful man he was. Heh heh heh...
Wait, so is the “he” you want revenge on the Imperator?

The Imperator and Magick

Chapter LXIX: I eat danger for breakfast -OR- Seeker of the Ancient Path, Part 1

Nope.
The Imperator was rumored to have his hands on the art. Evidence of this was found even at some ruins. But just as we were about to discover the truth, the soldiers I hired to protect me began getting slaughtered one by one.

A gift that transcends fear… It is all I have, and everything that is.

Dim as starlight… Its beauty is the light that cuts through misty seas.

Chapter LXX: The order of the world must not be changed -OR- Seeker of the Ancient Path, Part 2

Magick… A cherished one living within… Found not even at the end of an infinite road.

Magick… Born from the pit of darkness… It is the undeniable truth of the world’s order.

Is magick an uncultivated power of the earth? If so, any spell that can extract it is far more dangerous than anything in existence…
Uhhh….. what?
Now that I know the dangers of magick, I’ll refrain from doing anything reckless when dealing with anything related to this art. Maybe I can find some answers traveling with you and your friends. If you ever need another body, please come and seek me. Thank you again, lad.

A bit of a bonus bit of information because I’m not sure if it is supposed to apply to the first God Emperor or a later one.

Chapter XLII - Urg, I gotta do the tie-break again?

I’m not quite sure if the God Emperor mentioned here is supposed to be the FIRST God Emperor, the Imperator. Probably not, but I’m including this anyway.

Young Sykes. There is an old tale passed down from ruler to successor of this country for ages.

Stunned by her beauty, the God Emperor desired her for his own. But the priestess had already promised her heart to a certain knight. Bitterly angry, the emperor placed a curse upon Crookfen. From that moment, many demons appeared in Crookfen. The area became known as a forbidden place.

To protect the priestess as she prayed, the knight sworn to her stood guard, slaying any monster who dared assault her. When the pair found themselves at the limit of their strength, a dazzling light appeared, enveloping the demons. A Remnant with the power to seal evil had awakened. The earnest prayers of the strongly bound pair had been enough to transcend time and space and reach the Remnant.

Again, this probably isn’t referring to the Imperator, but one of his descendants. (I’m assuming the God Emperor is a hereditary position.)

Next Time: The sun can finally set on the Kingdom of Glenys

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Say, does this game have some kind of in-game encyclopedia, or are you just supposed to kind of half-remember all this stuff about Imperators?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

Say, does this game have some kind of in-game encyclopedia, or are you just supposed to kind of half-remember all this stuff about Imperators?

It's the remember one. The closest the game has is that one lady in the Academy who has 50 one-line Visistones explaining a bit of the game lore.

The next update is recorded, but it might take a while to edit since it's really large and for some dumb reason (the reason is I am dumb) I wanted to make videos of the dungeon.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 20, 2016

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
The hidden option is of course, like so much with this game, to read the wiki. Seriously I like this game a lot but it is so drat opaque I want to scream. Why doesn't this game explain its own mechanics? Why do I feel like I have to read a guide just to understand whom to level in what things to get the best results? Why can you miss like half the locations in this game if you follow the main story? It's not like it's a viable choice for players who don't like sidequesting so much because story bosses will become road blocks for you if you don't grind enough. I feel like this game could have a lot more appeal if it would only properly explain itself :negative:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Welcome to Saga games.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
You guys are really going to like what I'm doing with the next update. It's taking more time than a typical update, but it'll be worth it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Awesome. Looking forward to it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm helping push this thread to the next page. Also, looking forward to that update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Count me as another person looking forward to the update, and helping push through to a new page.

• Locked thread