Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

I’ll make you wish you’d never been born!

We’ve seen all there is to see in the bonus dungeon, so all that’s left are the last bonus bosses. We’re going after the bonus boss task enigmatically titled “For Our Lord”.

For this one, you go to Elysion’s catacombs.

We can actually see the boss from the starting room. But to reach it, we need to go all the way around.

Yep these guys are still going to aggro on me as soon as they see me. I’ve got no choice but to fight them.

- Boss Video: The Enlightened Seven

But we’re here now, so let’s do this.

Music: Press to Victory

Extra Mission: Defeat the Enlightened Seven!

That’s right, we’re fighting the Seven again, but this time in the format of a boss rush! First up is Enlightened Snievan, but there’s someone else waiting in the wings who will join at the end of Turn 1. The first thing I’ll do is have three of my unions lower the enemy morale, because that’s as always super important.

They just keep coming!

Enlightened Milton is our next foe and man is he a huge pain.

T-t-those guys look pretty strong!

The best strategy is to focus Snievan down first, Snievan is really easy to kill and you don’t want to have him chipping away at you if you’re going after Milton. Milton is too far away for most of my unions to target anyway. Use Protection if that’s an option, because it’ll help versus Milton a lot.

Enlightened Milton activates his unique buff at the start of every turn, which gives him Overdrive, and he also still has his instakill sword, which is a hideous combination to deal with. I’m not going to show him using it at the start of each turn, so just assume that he does.

I’ll stop you no matter the cost!

Enlightened Snievan really isn’t very dangerous at all, he’s only got about 350,000 health, which is not much when I can dish out damage like this. That turn did 115k.

Hit him harder!

Another 71k.

That was extremely well-timed!

Nope!

Wait! Leave us alone!

Irina is a Scholar, and so immune to the instakill effect of Milton’s sword.

Wait…
Sir Blocter!

Like, awesome defense!

Next time, less admiring, more dodging.

For your punishment, your corpse will be cremated.

Milton is still too far to deal with, so let’s finish off Snievan quickly. Milton is going to be obnoxious as hell to deal with. This boss battle actually has the difficulty curve reversed – it starts out very difficult, but gets easier the farther you go.

That’ll do, and it should free them all up nicely to interfere with Milton.

Take advantage of all counters with Milton, he really needs to be killed quickly.

Overdrive is already obnoxious enough without the instakill weapon.

Impossible…

Milton actually did NOT cast Iron Will at the start of this turn, which means no Overdrive.

I wasn’t able to take that much advantage of it though, I was busy with defensive and healing options.

Milton doesn’t actually have much more health than Snievan, he’s just much harder to fight.

That looks painful! Good.

You will regret doing that.

Yay.

That dodge bonus is fantastic versus Milton.

Good riddance. But Milton wasn’t the hardest part.

Enlightened Ludope and Zuido join the fray once Milton and Snievan are both defeated.

Fresh off of Milton’s death, Ludope will immediately deadlock and use his unique art Galaxy before you get a chance to do anything.

If you were barely alive after beating Milton, Galaxy is almost guaranteed to finish you right there. We barely survived because we were at full health.

I think there’s a chance that Zuido can also do his special, but it’s clearly not a guarantee.

This turn is really going to be the deciding factor. If I can stabilize us here, the rest of the fight should be a breeze. Nothing else can compare to the two-punch hit of having to deal with Milton’s utter bullshit immediately followed by a Galaxy to the face.

Too slow!

That dodge is pretty much all Talisman’s Gift will be good for versus the mystic-favoring Ludope. Darien helpfully gives us some healing herbs to stave off death a little longer.

Giant Press is Zuido’s unique art.

…We’ve got this. The battle is as good as won. Oh, there will still be speedbumps and union deaths, but it’s nothing we aren’t going to able to handle. Irina and Jager will lower morale while Wyngale goes for Blackout.

Watch, and learn!
I’ve been negligent…

Rush’s union is immune to Enthrall, but not, of course, the damaging portion of the attack.

Too bad that wasn’t a critical chain. Oh well.

Decent enough.

Irina heals up the damage.

When we use Maledict, the curse almost never goes off, nor would it be of much benefit if it did.

Ouch, another nasty Giant Press.

That’s annoying, but what worries me more is the “???”.

I’ll make you wish you’d never been born!

I just noticed the planet in this shot.

You still with us?

Thanks to our half morale, we survived that pretty well. It’ll be a few more turns before they can do that again.

And chances are that they don’t have a few more turns.

Ghor is pretty good with that Remnant weapon to do that much damage with a normal attack.

This ought to hurt.

:munch: (32k damage.)

What a fail.

Watch this!

The big guy’s in critical too, now.

I won’t say no to having Cyclops around in a boss battle, just in case.

Next time, you’re dead!

And also this time too.

Hope your will’s up to date!

Don’t let ‘em take you out!

W-wait…

Cyclops!

Glenys upgrades an art.

Hit him harder!

No, I think that’ll do, Emmy.

Enlightened Young fights us alone.

A tough guy, huh?

I don’t even remember when that Protection went on.

Young can mess with our morale, so we will need to keep a close eye on it.

They weren’t at high health so that isn’t surprising. Gaou resurrects them immediately anyway.

Watch yourself this time, okay?

I’ve gotten our morale back up, and cast Protection on several unions as well.

Here it comes!

So annoying.

He’s looked better. This kind of detail is very hard to see on the battle models, so it’s kinda nice that they went to the trouble.

A tough guy, huh?

Everyone who wasn’t Protected is dead or nearly dead.

Son of a -

No way!

This critical chain did over 76,000 damage. Then they promptly fell over dead because they had 27 HP.

Young’s almost dead, but we’ve got two dead unions. We should probably try to both get everyone up and kill Young before he uses Brawl again. Rush and Jager will try to revive the dead unions, Wyngale will go for Protection. Cyclops ensures that Young can’t intercept anyone trying to revive.

I’ll rend you limb from limb!

He said before using Revitalize.

Okay, this should meet the limb-rending quota.

You should know who is coming next.

This is one reason why the fight gets easier. Fighting Milton and Snievan at once or Zuido and Ludope at once is hard. But we’ve already fought Young solo, and Hannah and Hinnah together.

Oh, you know what I HAVE to do this fight.

Hinnah is looking a lot less dead than she was a minute ago.

Are you all right?
Was that it?

That was mostly ineffective! So yes, I am all right!

111,822 damage. And that was AFTER the ATK down debuff Hannah cast on Jager’s union.

Add in Violet’s attack at the end of a critical chain and this turn did 67k damage.

Hannah is already in critical. Nice!

:munch:

That was really fast.

Oho!

This is a unique art. I’ve never seen this one before.

But I have seen a variation of it. I’m guessing it casts Bewitch.

And Hinnah is nearly dead too.

Paired bosses always cast Overdrive when their teammate dies. I forgot that.

I don’t like the looks of that ???, but because I hit a critical trigger, my teammates will keep moving up in the turn order.

Here I come!

learned Mighty Moonshadow II!
learned Wind Shear V!
learned Permafrost III!
learned Moonlight IV!

That’s it! We’re done, the Enlightened Seven are defeated!

Unfortunately we didn’t get lucky at all with the drops, but oh well. You can’t have everything. Each of the Seven has a chance (a slim chance) to drop their Heart of Loyalty, which can be used to craft unique weapons or accessories.

The quest is handed in, but we are not done yet. This is the PC version, so there’s a little something extra…

Pop by the Ring of the Labyrinth guild in Elysion, and…

Snievan has joined the party!

Snievan

A member of the Seven, Snievan dreams of filling the world with nothing but beauty. His odd behavior has made him an outcast from his own race.

Class: Legendary Ataraxian
Initial BR: BR 95
HP: (1582)
Str / Int: (102 / 82)
Union Name, Unique Attribute: Snievan's Guerillas, Affection

Current Arts
  • Dual Two-Handed: Flash Strike III, Focus Strike II, Earthrender, Scattrered Petals
  • Psionics: Bluff III, Confuse II, Enrage II, Addle
  • Lotions: Antivenin III, Eye Cream III, Throat Salve II, Invigoration Cream II, Hartshorn
  • Unique: Phantom Pain

Torgal has the Brionac, so Snievan can’t use Lugh’s Revenge. Other than that he looks to be a fairly solid attack/psionic hybrid.

All of the Seven can be recruited, usually from the place associated with their quest (Hinnah is the exception). You should probably have been expecting that, after all I used party-member-style portraits for them before. They do not have party chats like the other recruitable unique leaders, though.

They all start out at BR 95. I’ve been told that there’s some kind of cap on stat gain at 99 or 100. After that point stat gains either slow down a lot or stop completely. So the Seven don’t have a lot of room for growth. Still, they’re all very powerful.

Hinnah has joined the party!

Hinnah

A member of the Seven, Hinnah is Hannah’s twin sister, so devoted to her that she would do anything for her. She acts tough, but is quite the crybaby.

Class: Legendary Alchemist
HP: (996)
Str / Int: (95 / 78)
Union Name, Unique Attribute: Hinnah's Cartel, Loneliness

Current Arts
  • One-Handed: Knee Splitter III, Cutting Lunge II, Blue Streak II, Double Slash, Helm Split II, Snowfall
  • Explosives: Flash Bomb III, Poison Bomb III, Smoke Bomb II, Sound Dampener, Acid Bomb
  • Shards: Gravity Tempest III, Earth Bind III, Shockwave II, Sunflare II, Moonlight II
  • Unique: Seduction

Hinnah is picked up in Nagapur for some reason. Seduction is the version of Total Domination that’s available when she’s in the party. She has high level Shards, which is quite rare.

Hannah has joined the party! (216,000 G)

Hannah

A member of the Seven, Hannah is Hinnah’s overly protective twin sister. Though usually good-natured, when angry, not even Hinnah can hold her back.

Class: Legendary Cavalier
HP: (1113)
Str / Int: (98 / 66)
Union Name, Unique Attribute: Hannah's Cartel, Anxiety

Current Arts
  • One-Handed: Knee Splitter III, Cutting Lunge II, Blue Streak II, Double Slash, Helm Split II, Snowfall
  • Remedies: Restore III, Refresh III, Rejuvenate II, Revitalize II, Support
  • Explosives: Flash Bomb III, Poison Bomb III, Smoke Bomb II, Sound Dampener, Acid Bomb
  • Unique: Twin Snowpetal

Twin Snowpetal is Hannah’s only unique, and like Khrynia, it can be cast from a non-leader position, so if you use her in a union with Hinnah, Hinnah should be the union leader.

Young has joined the party! (210560 G)

Young

A member of the Seven, Young searches for the meaning of his life through fighting. He is a true romantic.

Class: Legendary Guardian
HP: (1406)
Str / Int: (109 / 54)
Union Name, Unique Attribute: Young's Clan, Romance

Current Arts
  • Power Grip : Smash III, Crossbreak II, Switchback II, Dragon’s Flight, Dragon’s Tail II, Victory Sweep
  • Herbs: Restorative Herb III, Vivification Herb III, Life Powder II, Restorative Tincture II, Vivification Tincture
  • Unique: Brawl

Young lacks a third set of arts, but he has lots in the two categories he does have, and of course, Brawl is always cool. Roberto has his old Frostblade, but he got a new one from beyond, apparently.

Milton has joined the party! (216,320 G)

Milton

A member of the Seven, Milton is a legendary swordsman, victorious on many battlefields. He devotes his life to perfecting the way of the sword.

Class: Legendary Gladiator
HP: (1071)
Str / Int: (96 / 79)
Union Name, Unique Attribute: Milton's Associates, Zest

Current Arts
  • Power Grip : Smash III, Crossbreak II, Switchback II, Dragon’s Flight, Moonset II, Moonshadow
  • Wards: Orphic Ward III, Protection III, Decoy II, Cheer II, Band of Champions
  • Traps: Stun Trap III, Landmine II, Retreat Flare II, Pandora’s Box
  • Unique: Iron Will

Milton’s weapon has been the bane of my existence, but now it’s amazingly much less effective. I’m also guessing that Iron Will no longer gives Overdrive either. He does start out with all the Wards arts unlocked, and not even Ragna-Rock Rush has managed that. He barely got Cheer not that long ago.

Ludope has joined the party! (188,160 G)

Ludope

A member of the Seven, Ludope was a military leader who lost his entire troop in battle. His hatred for everything comes from the pain he holds inside.

Class: Legendary Thaumaturge
HP: (728)
Str / Int: (78 / 117)
Union Name, Unique Attribute: Ludope's Sect, Rancor

Current Arts
  • Invocations: Spark V, Wind Shear IV, Double Time III, Caustic Blast III, Permafrost II, Wildfire II, Grenade Impact
  • Evocations: Mystic Missile III, Flash Arrow III, Silencer II, Eclipse II, Snare Shot
  • Hexes: Poison Gas III, Paralyze Gas III, Smoke Canister II, Silent Gas II, Dispirit
  • Unique: Galaxy

I believe that Ludope wields a mace-type weapon, although he doesn’t even have the base-level combat art unlocked. He’s a pure caster, and can start out potentially able to cast Blackout, Whiteout, and – because of Grenade Impact - even the second Invocation arcana Crimson Flare.

Zuido has joined the party! (207,360 G)

Zuido

A member of the Seven, Zuido is usually a gentle soul – though his alternate personality is quite the opposite. They say it comes from a childhood trauma.

Class: Legendary Bard
HP: (2051)
Str / Int: (113 / 48)
Union Name, Unique Attribute: Zuido's Kamikaze Troop, Gluttony

Current Arts
  • Power Grip : Smash III, Crossbreak II, Switchback II, Dragon’s Flight, Dragon’s Tail II, Victory Sweep
  • Potions: Red Potion III, Blue Potion III, Yellow Potion II, Power Potion II, Shield Potion
  • Unique: Giant Press

Zuido is big and tough, but Potions are kinda meh. His unique art is quite decent, though.

In total, it costs 1,426,400 G to recruit the entire Seven. My poor G-Wallet. I started out with over 4 million, now I’m under 2. There are also a number of formations which need members of the Seven to unlock their more powerful variants.

• Porcelain Chain, which boosts Speed, Attack, and Mystic Attack up to 150% in exchange for lowering Strength, Intellect, Defense, and Mystic Defense to zero.
  • Mystic Seal, which lowers everything to zero except Defense and Mystic Defense. This makes it good for grinding out uses of arts, but terrible for killing things.
  • The Slayer and Eremurus Rain are the other two and they give out different bonuses based on position.

That’s all for today. I beat the next bonus boss, so I can get working on the next update soon.

New Arts Summary
learned Mighty Moonshadow II!
learned Wind Shear V!
learned Permafrost III!
learned Moonlight IV!

Boss: The Enlightened Seven

Next Time: At least your combat bears some beauty!

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 13, 2016

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

quote:

Hinnah, Legendary Alchemist
Zuido, Legendary Bard

:raise: Sure okay game. I can kind of see the Alchemist with her charm special, but Bard???

Awesome fight though. Thinking about it some more, I'm surprised they had the restraint not to throw the paired sisters and Young at you at the same time.

booksnake fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 13, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Do note, you can totally engage them before facing the Conqueror, they aren't really "Post Game" in that sense.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

booksnake posted:

:raise: Sure okay game. I can kind of see the Alchemist with her charm special, but Bard???

Awesome fight though. Thinking about it some more, I'm surprised they had the restraint not to throw the paired sisters and Young at you at the same time.

In simplest terms, Bard is just the name the game gives a class which has Potions as their highest art. Alchemist is the same for a unit which has Shards as their highest.

Onmi posted:

Do note, you can totally engage them before facing the Conqueror, they aren't really "Post Game" in that sense.

Yes, but I wanted to indicate that this set of updates was after the final story update. Maybe I'll rename it Bonus or Extra.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm kind of surprised there wasn't some special effect from proccing Dual Snowpetal? in the refight.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

At least your combat bears some beauty!

Here is the second-last bonus boss. This one I was unable to beat before. But of course back then I had a party which was still hobbled from my first playthrough mistakes. Let’s go see if I have better luck this time.

You can see it from here if you squint into the sun.

Oh boy. Well, here we go.

Extra Mission: Defeat the Lost Remnant!

Music: Out of Control

The Fallen had approximately 390,000-448,000 HP and you needed to defeat it under 10 turns or it was simply game over. The Lost has about 722,000-731,000 HP and we only have 5 turns. If we don’t get the Lost to about 30% health by the end of the third turn, it’ll full-heal. This boss is a DPS check. If you can’t deal enough damage, you won’t win.

Close…

…but no cigar. In fact, no cigars for anyone ever again.

You simply do not have time in this fight to waste on crappy attacks, so I disabled almost all the Psionics attacks and other ones which do low damage. I’ve swapped out some party members who are not that great for some of The Seven. Snievan replaces Torgal, Ludope replaces David, and Young replaces Khrynia. The Lost has end-of-turn attacks of course, so the mystics union is back in Cachexia formation. That’s the only reason why Ludope is in and David is out – I need to start the very first turn with the 67 AP to cast Cachexia, this battle is hard enough that I cannot afford to spare any turns at all recovering from end-of-turn attacks.

- Bonus Boss Video: The Lost

I don’t like any of Rush’s options, so I’m going to have him wait to build up AP for something useful. Jager will lower morale, everyone else will hit as hard as possible.

At least your combat bears some beauty!

The hell’d this happen?

Say goodbye to end-of-turn attacks!

I’m including these shots to show the damage each union is doing on their turn.

I couldn’t have asked for more!

Still no good options? Fine, go revive Gaou.

Oho!
That’s a strong one!

This attack can be a lot more dangerous than this shot makes it seem.

They’re strong.

Come now, you’re holding us back!

Rush also revived Gaou.

Next time, you’re dead!

We’re in excellent shape, so keep piling on. I don’t know how much damage we’ve managed to do, though.

Hang in there!

A swing and a miss!

Ha ha ha ha!

Son of a -!

We beat the threshold for damage, so it is using Miracle instead of Life Spring. Guess all those smaller hits added up.

Emmy only had 2200 HP, and the Lost didn’t manage to kill her. Irina immediately healed Emmy and Violet healed her own union a little.

Our morale has really been a great help, no sense slacking off on it at the end.

Cachexia nudges the Lost into critical at the end of Turn 4. Only one turn left.

Hell yes I’m using Omnistrike.

Watch this!

The Lost has still not managed to eliminate a union.

Hold still so I can tear you apart!

A critical chain Omnistrike? Could this be…? :munch:

Suck it! SUCK IT!!

learned Double Slash!

Reward: 120,000 G
Obtained Trident! You’ve learned a new formation!

Excellent. Whoever had 9 attempts wins the pool. But I’ve got one more bit of business, and it require me to reach BR 80. … Okay done.

Music: Old Traditions, New Methods

Once you hit BR 80, go to Melphina’s Union of the Golden Chalice. There, you’ll find…

Our last recruitable Unique leader. This completes our set.

Leucetius

An aloof young knight. Relatively inexperienced, but his talent – and pride – are top-class.

Class: Sage
Initial BR: BR 80
HP: (804)
Str / Int: (56 / 78)
Group Name, Unique Attribute: Leucetius' Detachment Force (Leucetius' Bodyguards on XBox), Sensitivity

Current Arts
  • Dual Power Grip: Fury Blow III, Bonecrusher III, Twin Gimlet II, Retribution
  • Invocations: Spark III, Wind Shear III, Double Time II, Caustic Blast II, Permafrost
  • Evocations: Mystic Missile III, Flash Arrow II, Silencer II, Eclipse
  • Hexes: Poison Gas III, Paralyze Gas III, Smoke Canister III, Silent Gas II, Dispirit II, Bewitch
  • Remedies: Restore III, Refresh II, Rejuvenate II, Revitalize
Future Arts
  • Psionics @ BR 82
  • Explosives @ BR 91
  • Arcana: Blackout, Crimson Flare, Whiteout, Animalcule, Rejuvenating Water, Fatal Eclipse

You unlock Leucetius very late, only once you hit BR 80 and have opened the Seventh Path. At that point you should be ready to fight the final boss. So he starts out underwhelming. Still, he is one of only THREE chararcters who can potentially learn all the Arcana and become a Warlock. Unfortunately, we already have Wyngale and so don’t really need a spare. Especially one who can’t even START to learn Psionics for two more BR, much less get high enough to reach Maledict II. So despite his high potential, he’s going on the bench.

I have no time for you.

He hangs out in the pub and can get new chat topics every 5 visits. So lets.

I hear you're the leader of this troupe.
Err...
Has it come down to this? I, Leucetius, taking orders from a mitra child? I volunteered only upon hearing of help needed by Athlum's special forces.
Well we could always use a bit of –
I have no time for childish games. I will show you who is a worthy leader, after I "negotiate" with the generals.
What do you mean?
I have nothing to say to you.

You have to pay attention, because after 5 visits, it’s not him you need to talk to.

What’s up?
What's with that angry sovani, Leucetius? He challenged me for position of troupe leader.
He did?
I gave him a good pounding to show him what's what. Hehe.

It looks like you’re hurting pretty good.
Don't look at me like that. I threw the match to allow him to save face. He's no worthy opponent of mine. The other generals should make for better opponents.
Oh boy…
Leave me alone.

And leave and re-enter Melphina another 5 times…

Hello, Rush. I just ran into a very rude sovani.
You mean Leuc… Leucat… Leucity… Luci?
He insisted on being the leader of our troupe, no matter how many times we told him that we had no say in the matter.
He seems kinda stubborn.
I had no choice but to use a means other than words to get my point across.

You should put some ice on that. It helps a lot.
Don't look at me like that. I threw the match. I would never hurt a lady. I need to go up against someone of higher rank than the generals to get myself heard.
I wouldn’t…
Go away. Now.

Fast-forward…

Hey Dave!

Err… Has Luci talked to you?
Lucy? Who? Oh…

Yes, I encountered Leucetius. He seemed distraught about something. I humored him for a while and sent him away.
Err… did you hurt him?
Don't worry about him. I've taken care of everything.

...Rush, you know the marquis well, don't you?
I guess, yeah.
Then tell me this. When he...his lord...glared at me, I couldn't stop shaking. How does a mitra who hasn't been around for 20 years make others tremble in fear? Is it a trait of a marquis? Or perhaps something acquired by being the owner of the extraordinary Gae Bolg?
I dunno, Dave is just pretty special, I guess.
...Whatever the case, Rush, I owe you an apology. You are a worthy leader if you can control such mighty warriors. If you ever need a hand, don't hesitate to ask.

Parameter Bonus! You have become chummy with Leucetius, thus awakening his true powers!

The Parameter bonus is worth +20% HP, plus +3% Strength and +3% Intellect. The health bonus is pretty helpful.

Only one more bonus boss left, and that should be the last update.

New Arts Summary
learned Double Slash!

Bonus Boss: The Lost

Next Time: ???

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 14, 2017

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

In simplest terms, Bard is just the name the game gives a class which has Potions as their highest art. Alchemist is the same for a unit which has Shards as their highest.

Oh, right. Logical (although a bit jarringly flavorless, compared to how everybody gets a unique stat name).

Sweet imposing shot of the Lost just hovering past the edge of the... bridge?

I'm tickled but not surprised that David can death stare someone into submission

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The update number is wrong.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Whoa, straight wrecked it. Nice.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So there's one bonus boss left, right?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

booksnake posted:

Oh, right. Logical (although a bit jarringly flavorless, compared to how everybody gets a unique stat name).

Zuido's unique stat is called Gluttony, his class is Bard.

quote:

Sweet imposing shot of the Lost just hovering past the edge of the... bridge?

It's on a little spit of land sticking out into the deep canyon beside the road. Past it is where one of the unique monsters you need to kill for a Guild Task spawns. On my first playthrough I realized that I couldn't get to that monster without engaging The Lost, a battle which I couldn't win.

quote:

I'm tickled but not surprised that David can death stare someone into submission

Too bad Rush is immune. :v:

Mraagvpeine posted:

The update number is wrong.

Thanks, fixed.

Black Balloon posted:

Whoa, straight wrecked it. Nice.

I got a lot of luck - those Apocalypses that the boss throws out can one-shot some unions if they hit hard. I quit attempt 8 because Rush's union died in the first turn. I might not have won this time if not for the Critical Omnistrike.

wdarkk posted:

So there's one bonus boss left, right?

Yep, the last one. No real gimmicks there, just a gloves-off painful battle. Actually, I think I could try fighting it later on tonight.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does the damage check apply to the end of those 5 rounds? Or is it the Miracle/Life Spring one?

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Both. After 3 rounds it checks for the full heal and after 5 rounds it just kills you if the Lost is alive.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
:lol: at this chapter. At first Leucetius' attitude really put me off, but then it turned out to be a pretty good set up for what happened next.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but I really think the art direction in this game is top notch. Absolutely a blast seeing the screenshots of how good everything looks, and realizing that the game came out in 2008. Phenomenal!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
gently caress Animalcule, gently caress it with a rusty chainsaw.

I have not managed to beat the final bonus boss. I never promised that I would be able to. I really do not feel at all like grinding battles for ages to get my HP up, and I don't think that would be a lot of help anyway. I'll think about things for a little bit. I might make another attempt later on, but if that does not work, I'll probably just post my first attempt which shows off the boss and most of their utter bullshit bullshit, then call it an LP.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
cheat

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

And give everyone a quick lesson in how cheating is done in TLR. (Mostly outside TLR.)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I don't know how, but the community for this game actually developed a rather robust selection of trainers.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's because its very SaGa mechanics are a bit like sudden heavy and continuous rain when coming back home on foot from school when "getting cold" was a thing that happened to other people, old people, it's actually kind of fun and pleasant in part because you have no say in the matter. Even if it wasn't that bad and was kinda fun, next time around you pat yourself on the back for having taken a more waterproof coat.

Also the game is in unreal engine IIRC so that helps a lot. Besides it's a pretty engaging game so it would make sense it would have players dedicated enough to look under the hood.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 5, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are trainers, at least one save editor, and i'm sure there are a few cheatengine tables out there.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah dude, just cheat. Show off some amusing weapons/character combos too if you are :)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Cheating just isn't my style.

I suppose that a bunch of the problems are because I wasn't taking the fight as seriously as I should have been. The first 10 or so attempts I was using my old party in the usual formations, instead of one bolstered by the Seven. I should have swapped party members around and switched formations to boost the overall survivability of groups. The next 10 or so attempts were a bit better, but RNG is still a major factor. For instance the end of the first turn has the boss cast Fatal Eclipse 100% of the time. On one attempt I had good luck and my morale was maxed. But the boss landed a critical and so everyone on my team went into critical health. To save time it's best to abandon attempts where you get no summon or morale-boosting casts on turn 1, or ones where you have unions dead after turn 1.

I've decided that I still need more boosts, so to that end I'm going to fight Bai Ze a bunch of times to get Paris, Pagus, Glenys and Violet to all learn Kiss of Life, the full-revive Remedy spell. That should help. Additionally, several party members still haven't completed their upgrades for their final weapons, so I should do that too.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
HOLY MOTHERFUCKING poo poo!!! :dance:

Okay, there will now be TWO more updates in the thread instead of just one. But we're going to go out on a high note! I'm working on one update now and the other will follow sometime soon after. No ETA, it depends on how much else I have to do.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
That's good news, although not cheating your way out is real bushido

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Awww, five more minutes…

One last bonus boss. You need to have completed the Ancient Ruins to unlock this one.

They can be found at Lavafender.

It shouldn’t be surprising who it is.

Extra Mission: Defeat the Enlightened Conqueror

Music: Nisus

This music plays for the entire fight and doesn’t change.

The True Conqueror, the final boss was BR 255 with 1,979,784 HP. The White Conqueror is BR 202 with 879,733 HP at most, and is the hardest boss in the game.

How can he be harder when he has less than half the HP? It’s simple. This version has taken the gloves off. The True Conqueror was limited to using only City Remnant arts based on the quests you had completed (or not). The White Conqueror can use all City Remnant arts. Additionally, while The True Conqueror only used an End-of-Turn attack once every three turns, The White Conqueror gains more end-of turn attacks the longer the fight goes on. He starts out using one every other turn in an 8-turn cycle, then once below 70% HP, he uses one at the end of every turn except for one, and if you live long enough to get him below 20% health, each turn ends with an EoT attack. You will be crushed under their weight.

This fight isn’t even remotely fair. I said I would show off all the bonus bosses. I never promised that I would be able to beat them. The thread suggested that I cheat. But I have absolutely no interest in doing that.

- Bonus Boss Video: The White Conqueror

Getting back to the fight, it is imperative that you get your morale up this turn, and you should also really get an option to summon on turn one. If you get neither of those things, just save yourself the trouble and use Ctrl +Alt + Shift + R to reset back to the main menu.

Gird yourselves, men!

gently caress this rear end in a top hat. This fight is highly dependent on RNG.

Fatal Eclipse is always cast at the end of the first turn, and it will hurt like hell if your morale is low.

The full pattern for the first 30% of the fight is Fatal Eclipse, Nothing, Delta-Petra, Nothing, Animalcule, Nothing, Abyssal Gate, Nothing, repeat.

I couldn’t have asked for more!

This is where a smart person would have reset. Being two unions down at the end of Turn 1 is just no good. You really need a summon around to keep the White Conqueror occupied so you can bring back your dead troops.

The White Conqueror has all the standard moves of his final boss version.

This will help a bit.

Cyclops!

This is the first of the new arts. If you failed to complete the Royotia Remnant quest, the Conqueror gets Delta Petra.

Ohhhh!

It does respectable damage, but it’s really one of the milder weapons in his toolbox, comparatively speaking.

I said a summon was vital for this fight, which is true, but it doesn’t mean that even summons can last long against the White Conqueror.

Sadly, high morale is very easy to lose if you don’t constantly get random options to boost it up each turn.

Alright, back in action!

Moonlight is probably a little too powerful for its own good. It heals each unit in the union for 1000 * Moonlight_Level, but because the union HP caps at 9999, most of the healing goes to waste. Revitalize is better in most instances. Shards (such as Moonlight) and Dual Snowpetal are Khrynia’s biggest selling points, neither of which are very useful in this fight.

Rhagoh…
The hell are you doing?

And here is one of the instances in which Moonlight is better than Revitalize – or at least it would be if Blocter and his Wonder Bangle was in another union. Animalcule is always bad news, but in this fight in particular, you don’t have time to wait to recover, so you’ll want people with the Lotion art Throat Salve in your unions to help them cure the silence so Remedies can be used.

Rush was lucky enough to avoid getting hit with status effects, and it’s probably better for Wyngale’s union that they died, as they’re arguably more useless silenced and alive.

Once the White Conqueror is below 70% HP, Savage triggers. From this point on, he’ll do an end-of-turn attack on every single turn except one.

Obliterate is the same as it was before – it’s an all-or-nothing attack which will either kill you or do absolutely nothing.

Crimson Flare is always used on the same turn as Savage. It is the new Invocations Arcana.

Steady there!

Go get ‘em, tiger!

The biggest downside to having a summon in the fight is that they have 9999 HP, and so eat up a lot of healing which could have helped your other units. It really is usually better if they would die, and you could bring them back with Kiss of Life.

This is the Remnant City Art for Melphina’s Blue Elf. The True Conqueror only normally gets it if you sided with Ophelia all three times and finished “At Hatred’s End”.

Sir Torgal!

Its annoying gimmick is that it hits each unit you have with an individual chance to be KO’ed. The game does not care so much about KO’ed units as long as the leader is alive, making it difficult to get options to revive them.

Irina, you KNOW Kiss of Life. Use it!!

Seal is Baaluk’s City Remnant art. It is single target, but usually does enough damage to one-shot any regular unions.

Ha ha ha ha ha!

However, Seal can be dodged and it does its damage to individual units, so even though Rush only had 2500 HP, he managed to survive this.

This is the kind of choice I find myself end up facing in this fight a lot. Either to heal, or to try to lower the enemy morale. It’s a frustrating place to be - if you have no morale, you’ll die to the end-of-turn attacks easily, but if you have mediocre health, you’ll die to weak attacks. The correct answer is morale. You can delay death by healing, but you win by keeping morale high.

In this case, Rush will lower morale, Emmy will ignore healing and throw herself at the enemy to try to die (so I can get everyone on their feet), Wyngale will use Orphic Ward, Irina will use Second Chance, and Jager will try to heal himself.

Luckily for Rush, the gamble paid off, as he barely survives long enough to get Mixed Message off.

Emmy dies, but at least she isn’t fighting with a crippled union anymore.

Fun fact: Seal is apparently not a Mystic attack! That’s probably true for most Remnant attacks, actually.

You still with us?

Surprisingly, that didn’t hurt all that much.

I need to revive everyone right now, though, before this gets out of hand. Cyclops will die, but he’ll keep the White Conqueror occupied so he can’t raidlock our other unions.

Anytime you want to use that on your OWN union would be just dandy, Irina.

Die.

Uh-oh.

The Tao Tie is Balterossa’s Remnant, and if we failed to finish The Ancient War quest, the Conqueror would have had that available to use in the fight. (Not the TRUE Conqueror, as that one requires completing sidequests.)

The Tao Tie’s attack is simply it walking and trampling all over us.

You still with us?

It’s as hideously effective as it is memorable.

After I pick myself up off the floor this turn, I’ll have something else to deal with at the end of the turn and pick myself off the floor from in the next turn too. That is why I’m sending Wyngale and Jager to lower the morale instead of healing.

I didn’t need this.

For some reason, Jager’s union was able to engage with the White Conqueror without him being able to attack. I’m not complaining, as he would have died to a sneeze.

Another break. Of course, these are short-lived breaks as there will be an end-of-turn attack.

I’m basically treading water here, and not making progress towards killing the White Conqueror.

Wait! Leave us alone!

Surprisingly, request granted.

Die.

Everyone was back on their feet and relatively healthy… but then this happens.

There’s no resting in this fight. At least we’ll get some use from the low health from Emmy and Irina.

Oho!

An extremely rare critical Hundred Flowers provides 99,491 damage. Most of the time, though, Hundred Flowers barely breaks into the 30,000 range. This sends The White Conqueror into critical health.

I hate Animalcule.

Half my unions are dead, two-thirds of the remaining unions are paralyzed and silenced, and the revive option is prioritizing using herbs to revive Cyclops. That won’t give it enough health, so I’ll need to have Irina use Second Chance to bring it back.

Oddly, the wiki description for this says that Photon Field grants invincibility for three turns, which means no damage. I know that isn’t true. Photon Field just seems to grant extra evasion, but you can definitely hit and damage the Conqueror.

Gird yourselves, men!

This turn after Animalcule is the last bit of mercy the fight has to offer: It’s the only turn in which there is no end-of-turn attack.

Situation Normal: All hosed Up. Our health is very low and 3 of our unions are dead, and we only have herbs to revive them. All I can do is send people to go revive, and hope that Cyclops will deadlock the White Conqueror before he raidlocks or intercepts me.

This is a good turn for me to be not fighting him.

gently caress you.

Awww, five more minutes…

Hooray.

Pardon me for troubling you.

Now all my unions are at full HP and only Ghor is KO’ed.

This is what counts as a Good Result for eating an arcana at 0 morale.

I’ll want Rush to keep his HP up Emmy revives, Wyngale lowers morale, and Irina uses Omnistrike.

Almost 150,000 damage from Irina’s Omnistrike. Much better than Hundred Flowers.

The Conqueror has to be getting fairly low by now.

Ah. He’s now below 20% health. This means that even the meager "break" where there was one turn without an EoT attack is gone. War God replaces Tao Tie, as well as the empty spot in the rotation.

You still with us?

Not that it matters because there goes any chance of winning the fight.

The only thing which saved me was that for some reason Jager started out more than one turn’s march away. I have no idea how that is possible in a one-enemy fight. Because of that, he actually couldn’t use an end-of-turn attack.

Status report: still hosed. I will eat a Raidlock for sure, but there is no safe alternative to sending both unions to revive.

Awesome.

:geno:

This can’t be happening!

Well, that’s that.

My first mistake was keeping the same unions that I was using most of the time. This is not a fight in which the same old tactics will work. Instead, I’ll need to reorganize my unions and swap out less-useful members, and boost my formations to increase defense. I think that it would also be helpful to boost the power of my units, first by getting a few more of them Kiss of Life, and also by completing more weapon upgrades.

Bonus Boss: The White Conqueror

I included this fight because even on my first attempt I got fairly close to winning. The fight just depends so much on luck that it's hard to do much better. I did reach the stage of War God being unleashed in at least a few other attempts, but those didn't go well. This fight let me show off all the special attacks as well, so I might as well use the first try.

I actually have managed to win this fight by now. If you want, you can guess how many attempts it takes – including attempts in which I quit before getting a chance to game over, you can make guesses.

Next Time: I can take you!

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 1, 2016

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

I believe in you Stabbey. and also that we can reach one more page for the last update.

Attempt guess: 25

Sessile fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 1, 2016

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
I'm guessing 30 attempts?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Gonna go with lucky number 42.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Would you even have enough patience for 60? I guess maybe only trying a few times a day you'd get there.

What a... can I even call that a challenge boss? It's more like a GM Hates You boss.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

I'll break the rising trend and guess 13 tries.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Gonna go for a nice prime number and say 37!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The next update is getting close to being ready, it should be done tomorrow. I still haven't encoded or uploaded anything. It is going to be about 150 screenshots long, though. (And we only need 7 more posts for another page.) Anyone have a guess about how many turns it takes to win the fight?

After that update is posted, I'll go through the LP and look for typos which need correction. The third post also needs updating badly.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 3, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
jeez, i would never have the patience to try that bullshit for hours on end.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

The next update is getting close to being ready, it should be done tomorrow. I still haven't encoded or uploaded anything. It is going to be about 150 screenshots long, though. (And we only need 7 more posts for another page.) Anyone have a guess about how many turns it takes to win the fight?

10,397. It's a long shot, I'll admit, but I'm feeling lucky.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I'll help by saying 100, assuming Stabbey needed to restart many times due to RNG.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Friend Commuter posted:

10,397. It's a long shot, I'll admit, but I'm feeling lucky.

Interesting. Assuming each turn takes only 15 seconds (which would be very low for a Last Remnant turn), that would be about 43 hours.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'll help by saying 100, assuming Stabbey needed to restart many times due to RNG.

I'm not counting cumulative turns from failed attempts, just the number of turns in the final attempt.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
I'm going to say 33 turns.

Also, I never beat white conqueror, The only disappointment in my 100% attempt. (Before a hard drive crash wiped the save)

ssmagus fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 3, 2016

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I'm not counting cumulative turns from failed attempts, just the number of turns in the final attempt.

I was talking about attempts that time. For number of turns, I'd guess 28.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FridayNightFights
Feb 17, 2011
Going to go with 87 turns, roughly 17 tries. Somewhere around there. In a game full of bullshit, this boss is in a class of it's own.

• Locked thread