Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm kind of annoyed by the bad guy's fan. I get the feeling they're going for the vaguely-gay type of bad guy here, and now that I notice stuff like that it annoys me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

wdarkk posted:

I'm kind of annoyed by the bad guy's fan. I get the feeling they're going for the vaguely-gay type of bad guy here, and now that I notice stuff like that it annoys me.

Orrrrr Zhuge Liang.

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
There's a later guy that more than makes up for the guy with the fan looking like a bit of a chump.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Quit struggling and sit there like a good victim!

- Video: Irina held captive

Making his way out of the palace, Rush passes through a courtyard with a well-maintained garden.

Irina…

Of course The Flowers are there. And fade out…

…and back in to the same flowers elsewhere. I’m not counting this vase in the Flowers count because it’s a scene transition.

But this does count.

Feelin’ better?

He glances over at her barely-touched meal.

You’re a picky eater, huh? Sorry the menu’s not fit for a princess like you.

Irina continues staring down in gloom. The man’s tone softens slightly.

Hey…
Rush…
Rush is dead.

…!

No….
Stop mourning the dead and eat your meal. You are vital to him, you should be honored.

With that, they leave.

Hey, wait up.

How long are we going to keep her like that? Let’s just hand her over.
You pity her?
This whole deal makes me sick. She’s just a kid!
I am merely following the Lord’s orders - as you should follow mine.
Fine. Then give me some real orders. I’m sick of being a drat babysitter!
As you wish. Let us go forth to the next Remnant.

It seems Flying-Remnant man has some misgivings about his job.

Music: City of Heroes

Shoulda just done it myself from the beginning.

Rush makes it about three steps before self-realization sets in.

I guess… I guess I DO need other people’s help…

The maximum number of unions in your party is now 2. The maximum unit capacity per battle is now 3. The maximum number of units in your party is now 10.
Torgal and Emma’s squads have left the party.

Maybe… maybe it’s not too late to go apologize or make amends to Dave, let’s go back to the castle.

:argh: drat it, Rush!

At this point, the game is telling you “okay, do YOU have any better ideas than Rush does”? And you really don’t. So let’s do what the guard suggested.

Music: An Open Mind

If you’re looking for something to do, then the guild’s the right place to be. And I’m not talking charity work. You can get a nice reward by picking up the right task.
That’s neat… but is there some kind of catch?
Well, it’s not like they aren’t getting anything out of it.

What kind of tasks do they have?
Guild tasks? There’re all types… from simple stuff to really hairy jobs. Eh, if you’ve got the time, then take a look, maybe take one or two, then you’ll see.

Guild tasks are closer to achievements than actual sidequests. Most of them can be done through simple exploration and killing things. Others are harder to trigger. Conditions for a task appearing on the list vary. Generally speaking, they open up through the story, but some require you to reach a higher rank in the guild. That is NOT done, as you might think, by doing a certain amount of guild tasks, but by completing one specific task. You aren’t told what the reward for a task is until you hand it in, so this is another case when a guide is quite necessary.

There are a few categories of tasks.

• The Bloodthirsty Warrior is for killing X amount of monsters. The guild will suggest a location to look, but it doesn’t matter where you kill them as long as they’re that type.
  • The Monsterslayer is for killing a specific Rare monster. Rares are much more powerful monsters with names, which spawn in certain spots under certain conditions (which are rare). They’re challenging and dangerous tasks.
  • The Collector is for obtaining a certain item. You just have to show that you have the item, but it isn’t actually removed from your inventory. Do these before using the items in crafting.
  • The Weaponmaster is for finding, (or more likely, crafting) a certain weapon. Hiring a party member who has it also does the trick. This is again, just showing you have it, not handing it over. All you’re told is the weapon name, not the type, so consult the guide if it is unclear.
  • Leader Extraordinaire is for having a party member of a specific class, or who has reached a certain stat level in their party. You might have to scan rosters and hire a generic person of that class just to get the achievement. Then you can fire them.
  • Battle Chains of Steel is simply for having a battle chain of a certain length. Really easy, just do a dungeon and don’t let an enemy break it by touching you.
  • Treasure Hunt is for binding X treasure chests. Easy.
  • Bonus Tasks are difficult missions. They’re either for defeating a bonus boss somewhere in the world (the game doesn’t tell you what or where, but they’re at a fixed location), killing X number of some enemy, or for obtaining a particularly rare item. Unlike all of the above, Bonus tasks are listed in a colour.

We’ve already done a few before setting foot in the door, this is easy! Some of these are because Collector tasks require you to have an item, and NG+ we start out with all components from our last game.

Rewards also vary: You can get a token amount of gold, equipment, blueprint components for customization, new Formation options, a rank up in the guild, additional generic soldiers are unlocked for recruiting, or Magazines (an item which lets monsters get an additional new drop).

I don’t particularly care too much about doing these, since I have all the Magazines (the most important ones) because this is NG+. They’re not too interesting, so I’ll mostly only care about getting the ones that increase your guild rank. I can show off some of the Rare monster fights, but these will generally be done completely off-screen.

Tasks are guild-wide, any branch anywhere will have the same task list to complete and any task from that guild can be handed into any other branch.

The other service guilds provide is a place to recruit new party members. The majority of our party will come from guilds. For a one-time fee, you get a unit you can use in the party. Most of them are generic units.

When I use them (not often), I pick generic units based on the arts they have. You can check those before hiring them. McGrady knows Restore, Thelma knows Mystic Missile. A key difference between generic units/soldiers and Unique Leaders is that generics start out knowing all the schools that they will ever know (not counting Combat Arts, which anyone can learn). Unique leaders will (at your discretion) learn two additional schools as your BR reaches certain levels .

I think I’m ready to go. I’ll hire McGrady and Oakes and go fight right now!

Uh, hold on, where are my guys? … poo poo.

It is important to remember one thing: Actually put your shiny new units INTO a union first. The game will no longer do that for you.

Variant formation Melee Stance III unleashed!

I’ve hired Oakes for now. I could have hired McGrady, but I’d just fire him after one dungeon anyway so what’s the point? I’ll talk about formations in a little bit. We’ve done all we need to do for now, so let’s hit the pub.

Music: A Friendly Ear

Anything interesting going on?
Pleasant Young Man: So, apparently there’s some mysterious lady looking for someone to help her with something. She seemed to have something important to ask. … That’s the story, anyway.
Bartender: I also have something to ask…
Pleasant Young Man: What?

Bartender: Welcome back, cutie!
Pleasant Young Man: Some girl’s been coming around here lately, all mysterious-like. She’s quite a stunner, too… Can’t compare to me, though!

It’s the Sidequests tutorial! This is mandatory, of course. Whenever someone has a red outline around their dialogue bubble, they’re important.

I have a dilemma. I need to deliver a letter to someone. Unfortunately, that person has gone away to a monster-infested region, leaving me behind… I would like someone to deliver this letter to him. Will you please help me?

Here we get an accept/decline choice. If you decline a sidequest, you’ll just have to ask again later, it doesn’t lock you out. The “decline” dialogue here isn’t interesting.

Sure, I’ll do it.
Thank you! I owe you so much! Here is the letter to deliver. The person I want you to give this to should be at the entrance of the Robelia Ruins. If you leave the Robelia Ruins, speak to me again. If you do not do so, the situation will change and you will lose sight of your original goal.

Obtained Letter from Home!
Accepted quest: A Day’s Beginning

By selecting Quests on the Party menu, you can check your current progress.

What she means is that once you accept a sidequest, you’re automatically sent to the location (Most sidequests are in dungeons, although some of them are exceptions. I’ll be using location headers to announce when entering a location (but not for when returning to where you got the quest because that will be obvious. )

If you leave the location, the quest will be cancelled (not failed) and you’ll have to go back to the quest-giver to get it again. This can be exploited in a couple specific instances.

A mysterious woman handed me a letter to deliver to a yama in the Robelia Ruins. Man, I’m such a sucker for a pretty lady!

We’re sent to a unique instance of Robelia Castle’s entrance hall. There are no enemies here and the door at the far end won’t open. Rush has journal entries written in first person for quest stages, I’ll be denoting those with the special icon above.

But now that I’m here…
Uh…
Huh? Who are you!? What do you want?
Are you the one who’s supposed to get this letter?
That letter!
It’s from a mitra woman.
What? This was handed to you by a lady mitra? I don’t know any lady mitra… But thanks! I was exchanging letters with someone very dear to me, but the letters just stopped one day. I wanted to meet them so bad… I should go back to Athlum. Tell the lady mitra I said thanks!

Oddly enough, Rush becomes a ‘silent’ protagonist at some points, saying things only NPC’s can hear, but not the player.

I like the game’s efficiency with sidequests. If you accept one, you don’t have to go back to the map and go to the destination, you’re automatically transported there, and once a quest is completed, you are automatically taken back to where you accepted it, you don’t have to backtrack out of the dungeon, go back to the city, go back to the tavern...

Were you able to deliver the letter?
Yeah, no problem!
Thank you so much. Here is a little something for your trouble.
Reward: 100 G.
There are so many people in need of a helping hand out there. If you come across these people, please hear them out. Helping those in need will help you, too. You will gain so much from it.
The power to strengthen your will.
Friends who will risk their lives for you.
History.
Truth.
Hope, fear, hate.
You will experience many things, both good and bad, and they will help you grow as a person. I know you will take them to heart… and thus, I know you will be able to control your fate. We shall meet here again… someday.

… What the hell was all that about?

Completed quest: A Day’s Beginning
The yama got the letter. My part is done.

Oh, there’s a new guy here now. Hey new guy!

Hello, chum, the name’s Baulson. I’m a bloke what earns his keep doin’ other folks’s dirty jobs.
You mean you’re a maid?
Guess you could say I’m a bit of a mercenary, though it don’t roll of the tongue as pretty. You yourself’re no stranger to a fight, eh, kiddo? I can see it in your eyes…
A few fights, yeah.
They’re the eyes of a man what’s peered over the edge o’ death and come back to tell the tale. No doubt about it, you’re a fighter, and a good one.
I dunno about good. Okay, I guess.
Lemme cut to the point: right now, I’m contracted to do a certain job for a certain aristocrat, but it’s a bit of a hairy job for just one man. I was hoping to find a partner. What d’you say, you want in on the job? You know what they say about those upper-crust types, workin’ for ‘em guarantees a decent reward.
(Well, if I’m gonna search for Irina on my own, I’ll need all the money and friends I can get.)
Sure, I’m up for it.
That’s what I like to hear. I knew I saw a real man in ya! Right. So, finish up your business, and meet me at the Gaslin Caves. I’ll tell you the details there.

Accepted quest: Baulson

The son of a certain aristocrat – our employer, by the way – went out to play here in the caves. Problem is, he never came back. Dependin’ on the time of day, these caves fill up with monsters. It’s likely the kid just got trapped tryin’ to hide from ‘em. Either way our job is to find that kid.
Is that all?
What, you wanted somethin’ more exciting? Believe it or not, there’s more to this than playing nursemaid. The kid is just a wee little thing, and a bit of a weakling at that. His folks are right worried about ‘im. What’s more, a downright nasty bunch of bandits are rumoured to have their hideout in the caves. If we don’t find the kid before they do… Well, let’s just make sure that doesn’t happen, savvy? Let’s be off, then!
Don’t sweat it. Me and Blocter were here the other day and kicked their asses!

A guest union has joined the party.

Some dude named Baulson asked me to find some rich sick kid who got lost in the Gaslin Caves.

-Guest Unions-
When a guest union joins the party, you cannot assign it battle commands – it acts on its own. See if you can determine how to support your guest in battles!

Guest unions can be tricky. See, they’re on your side, but they don’t count as in your party, so if all your unions die, but the guest union is still alive, you get a game over. This will become a nasty problem for us shortly. They also do whatever the hell they want in battle, which can sometimes be a problem if you really were counting on them for a certain action - so don’t count on them for anything.

Guest unions usually only consist of one unit, and they are almost part always Unique Leaders which can be recruited after the quest is done. Their health is boosted so they don’t die (except in Baulson’s case).

- BOSS Video: Baulson quest

Urgh… Quiet, you!
That voice… Bloody- C’mon, Rush, we better hurry!

B-bro! Come on, give it up! We’re supposed to be kidnapping – this’s more like giantnapping!
Yeah, yeah! He can squish us without even trying! How’re we supposed to ransom him when we’re flat as pancakes?
Ghk – shut up, both of ya! Blurg… They said some sick, wimpy little rich kid was lost in the cave – how was I s’posed to know he’d be some giant yama doof?
Looks like trouble.

Uhhh, which “him”?
Which one do you think? The kid, o’ course!
Looks pretty safe to me.
What’s this tripe you’re going on about? Let’s bust some heads!

Mission: Defeat the bandit leader!

Music: Struggle Eternal

(Video) Don’t do stupid things like fail to support your guest union by practicing your mystic arts when they are almost dead, and you should do fine.

You’re up against the bandit leader on his own, and a separate unit of 3 qsiti bandits. I’m practicing Bluff to try and learn another Mystic Art, but it is pretty useful on its own.

It’s a little trickier than it normally is because I’m deliberately a man short.

This trigger chance seemed lucky, but the chances for them increase as your morale increases (thanks, Bluff!). The bluer the bar, the more likelihood that a trigger chance will appear. If the bar is all red, you’ll almost never see them (and if it stays that way for a while, when one DOES come up, it’s hard not to be so surprised that you end up flubbing it).

:negative:

A lucky dodge trigger chance appeared, letting me counter and wipe out the boss’s backup. This is the only way you can kill units flanking you (outside of AoE, of course).

A second dodge-counter finishes off the boss.

learned Restore II!

Don’t worry, lad, you’re alright now. Rush, I’m gonna takes this little one back home. Meet me in the Athlum pib, and I’ll have your part of the reward, fair enough?
Okay.
See you ‘round the bend, then.

Nice work back there, pal. I couldn’t have done it without your help. The kid’s pa was quite thankful as well. Gave me twice the reward, he did. Here, here’s your half.
Reward: 500 G
Didn’t expect all this… I can get her something real nice…
Her?
Hmm? Nothing, nothing, just thinkin’ out loud. Say, if you ever need a partner in a fight, pop by the guild and let me know. We’re mates now, so anytime you need a hand!

Completed quest: Baulson

I helped a kid who got jumped by some thieves in a cave, and got a reward from Baulson. He said he'd help out if we needed him in the future.

So what's a kid like you doin' guild work in Athlum for anyway?
I'm trying to save my sister, Irina. She was kidnapped.
That so? I've got a sister too, and I'd do anything in the world for her. I'd be glad to help. I'll even cut my rates a little.

Not a bad idea. You’re hired, Baulson! (This is why I didn't hire McGrady, the only use was to use on Baulson's quest.) After completing a guest union's quest, they are usually available for hire immediately at a guild. The exception is if they have another quest you need to finish first. Baulson is somewhat expensive on a clean save, but not NG+!

Baulson

A mercenary based in Athlum. Cautious, and always prepared. Saving money for someone dear.

Class: Fighter
Initial BR: BR 6
HP: (390)
Str / Int: (26 / 16)

Current Arts
  • Two-Handed: (Double Strike)
  • Herbs: (Restorative Herb)
Future Arts
  • Remedies @ BR 18
  • Potions @ BR 30

Comments
A pretty standard Yama fighter. He’s tough, but doesn’t get a lot of interesting arts. His skills are easily replaced by other party members later, but it’ll be tougher to replace that chunk of HP. He’s the first of Rush’s recruits, which means he’ll spend a lot of time gaining stats before you can find enough unique leaders to consider swapping him out, making it tempting to keep him in the active party. He doesn’t get any unique skills, nor is he required for any quests past the one you need to recruit him. Like Blocter, he can fall into becoming a Scout, but I can’t turn Herbs off on everyone, because they’re critical to surviving.

Tags: Combat, Healer, Outclassed

*sigh* All right, let’s do this. (The higher health/stats is because this image was taken from later on.)

Position units on the Union Board. The topmost unit is named the leader, and must be determined. The rest can be skipped.

The Union Board has areas for lead ranks and back ranks. Generally, the front three rows are for the lead ranks, while the rear two are for back ranks. The lead ranks are best at dealing and defending against physical damage, while the back ranks are good for mystic attacks and defense.

This tip IMPLIES that you should put two physical and two mystic guys in each union. Maybe that's what you're supposed to do, but for me personally: that is pretty crappy advice.

You only get 5 Battle Commands per union/per target. Mixing mystic and physical units muddies the commands, and at best, you’ll have half your units doing a basic attack. It also slows art and stat growth. Don’t mix mystic and physical attackers, mystic attackers should be in their own union, and you probably only need one mystic union. This advice only really is useful if you have only three units in the union – that’s not an entirely bad idea, too bad that you can’t have 6 unions, then you could go 3/3/3/3/3/3.

A formation’s strength depends on the members of the union performing it. Some characters are particularly effective in certain formations. Try different combinations and see what happens!

No! That’s way too loving complicated! Here’s all you REALLY need to worry about when it comes to formations:

That’s all: How it changes the unions’ stats, and the bonuses it says in the text box. Anything else requires a guide to figure out, and it’s completely fine to ignore them. There will be a larger post on formations later on, mostly contributed by Stelas.

I've put my units into the Hangman's Noose formation because it increased the stats of my union, without reducing their mobility (and making it more likely to be intercepted).

So no one has heard anything about a flying creature?
Bartender: No one in Athlum, hon. Maybe you might want to check elsewhere?
Elsewhere?

Bartender: Say, you know Celapaleis, right? They’re Athlum’s sovereign state. They’re to the northwest, on the tip of the continent. I head over to Celapaleis from time to time to check out their new accessories. You should definitely visit, hon. You’d love it.
Pleasant Young Man: Some strange – thing has been terrorizing Celapaleis. It’s totally freaking out the people there. …That’s the story, anyway.
Bartender: Oh, I’m sure the poor thing is just lonely. It just needs a friend, and maybe a big hug.

Since Athlum is dry of leads, lets move on to bigger and better places.

New Arts Summary

learned Restore II !

Video: Irina held captive
BOSS Video: Baulson quest
BLOOPER Video: Baulson quest boss

Flowers Count: 4
“Irina” Count: 5
“Rush” count: 3

Next Time: I think I’m allergic

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 15, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
We're not quite out of the tutorial yet. One more dungeon and then the game officially steps back and goes "You got this poo poo." unfortunately that final dungeon, especially on hard mode, can be impossibly hard. As for the mysterious woman who gives you the first side quest... I have beaten the game and I still don't get her deal, maybe I'll figure it out this time.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

wdarkk posted:

I always got the impression it meant he was snooty or entitled like a stereotypical socialite rather than possibly gay.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Digital Jello posted:

I always got the impression it meant he was snooty or entitled like a stereotypical socialite rather than possibly gay.

Wagner doesn't give a gently caress about what anyone thinks about him. Dude also has the DEEPEST voice in the japanese audio, like... I know sometimes there's a disconnect but holy crap.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah I just figured it was a war fan, and meant he was a tactician type. Like Zhuge Liang.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'll probably be able to post both the Formations mechanics update, and Chapter 9 tomorrow, since because of the cut-in-half update, 9 is written and screenshots mapped out. Right after 9 will come the party selection reader participation.

wdarkk posted:

I know you haven't watched the videos, and even if you have, he only has one line so far, but the fan guy doesn't seem to come across as vaguely gay to me. His voice isn't at all like the stereotypical "gay man" voice, he merely sounds sinister.

I think the fan (which is apparently his focus for channeling arts) is more to emphasize that he is definitely not a physical fighter, compared to party members who channel their arts through regular weapons.

Onmi posted:

Wagner doesn't give a gently caress about what anyone thinks about him. Dude also has the DEEPEST voice in the japanese audio, like... I know sometimes there's a disconnect but holy crap.

Well, he certainly does seem to give a gently caress about some things people think about him, which we'll see pretty soon.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Oh I know all about (I thought his name was Wagram), I just meant from an aesthetic approach. I was gonna hold off til we saw him more, but yeah, don't let the fan fool you.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Digital Jello posted:

Oh I know all about (I thought his name was Wagram), I just meant from an aesthetic approach. I was gonna hold off til we saw him more, but yeah, don't let the fan fool you.

Eh, I'm bad remembering names without double checking. I just thought he was a caster when I first saw him.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Against my better judgement, I decided to reinstall this game and play along a bit ahead of the LP. That was my plan. What I actually did was play way ahead of the LP without a guide and, predictably, turn my playthrough into a catastrophic pileup of irreversible mistakes. I'm right near the end of Disc 1. Should I start over right now, or would I be better off trying to power through the rest of the story and do it again properly in New Game Plus?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

FractalSandwich posted:

Against my better judgement, I decided to reinstall this game and play along a bit ahead of the LP. That was my plan. What I actually did was play way ahead of the LP without a guide and, predictably, turn my playthrough into a catastrophic pileup of irreversible mistakes. I'm right near the end of Disc 1. Should I start over right now, or would I be better off trying to power through the rest of the story and do it again properly in New Game Plus?

Can you specify what kind of catastrophic mistakes you made? I made quite a few mistakes on my first playthrough, like keeping some unions as a mix of mystic and combat for a while, recruiting leaders well after I should have and such, but I made it.

Generally a TRULY catastrophic mistake is one where you couldn't possibly power through.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 13, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
v. Formations (mostly written by Stelas)
Stelas decided to contribute to the thread. This is mostly all his work. I’ve added images and any comments from me will be in italics.

Formation Types
There are seven categories of Formations. The game doesn’t tell you this, of course.

• General Purpose: These have no real weaknesses, but don’t stand out at anything either. Most of these give bonuses versus a specific monster type, but those are only worth using if you’re having trouble with a specific encounter. Others give bonuses to attack arts. They generally tend to increase ATK and DEF, but lower SPD.
  • Physical Attack: These are for unions focused around using physical attacks. They generally tend to increase STR and ATK, but lower DEF and SPD. A handful boost MYS.
  • Mystic Attack: These are for unions focused around using mystic attacks. They generally tend to increase INT and MYS, but lower ATK and SPD.
  • Physical Defense: These are for unions focused around defense against physical attacks. These all lower SPD, but raise DEF, and tend to raise M.DEF
  • Mystic Defense: These are for unions focused around defense against mystic attacks. These all lower SPD, but tend to Raise INT, MYS and M.DEF.
  • Speed: These are for unions focused around acting first (or close to) in a turn. These tend to increase SPD, ATK, and MYS, but tend to lower DEF and M.DEF.
  • Recovery: These are for unions focused on healing and supporting other unions. Gives bonuses to using Herbs, Remedies, and Potions. These tend to increase DEF, M.DEF, but lower SPD.

The FIFTY-EIGHT possible unique formations are divided amongst them. That number does not count formations which are an upgraded variant of previous formations – same shape and positioning, but different stats. Count those and you’re up to 94, but since they are basically identical but with better stats and more obnoxious guide-requiring requirements, 58 is the better number to use.

Stelas – Intro to Formations
So the thing is that using formations is actually pretty easy. The problem is that, like most things in this game, if you want to use them to their full extent you basically need an entire reference guide. Once you get the basic information in your head, though, they're a very useful tool both for grinding and for increasing the power of your troops. Throughout the game, be it from sidequests or from treasure chests, you'll uncover formations which will get added to your list. These will either be basic formations - selectable when you first create a union - or advanced formations, which require a little more fiddling to actually access.

Basic Formations

Easy enough. Let's take the Wedge formation (Physical Attack), which has the leader at the top with the other members arranged behind it in a inverted v, like so:

This is listed in the game as:

"Improves attack of lead ranks, but significantly reduces defense and mystic defense of back ranks."

The lead ranks are the top three rows in the 5x5 grid, the back ranks are the lower two rows, as denoted by the different colours.

As we can see above, when you make a union, you have 5 spaces in which to put troops. You don't have to fill every box from the top of the union down - the Union leader always has to be in position 1, but Baulson could quite happily go into position 4 or 5 if he wanted to. This will affect what bonuses the troop gets from the formation.

Each position in the formation is subject to a percentage modifier to their stats. In this case, as the description implies, positions 1-3 have their ATK and SPD increased, while positions 4 and 5 suffer massive stat penalties. What it doesn't tell you is that the leader also gets a defence and mystic defence buff, while the middle rank gets a strength boost. To be specific:

Position 1: 102% ATK, 102% SPD, 105% DEF, 105% MDEF
Position 2/3: 102% ATK, 102% SPD, 105% STR
Position 4/5: 30% SPD, 30% DEF, 30% MDEF

Some formations give bonus effects to all its members - Wedge does not. Actually, only three formations out of 94 have no penalties for any member or any position.

The wedge is therefore well suited for a small, fast union, but add a fourth or fifth member and one of them will have to suffer some extremely heavy penalties. Some formations have very skewed stats, and knowing this can be really useful in allowing you to create a tank squad or fast shocktroop.

The penalties for most formations tend to be much, much steeper than any bonuses you get for the ones in better positions. The smallest penalty I’ve seen is 62 percent strength. Bonuses don’t tend to go beyond 130. Since there are no bonuses smaller than 110, I assume that it is not 100% + 110 = 210% bonus, but a total of 110%).

It also becomes nigh-impossible to avoid penalties by not adding a fourth and fifth member because of the union cap.

Higher-Level / Variant Formations

All formations have three levels, and some of them have advanced versions that only trigger under certain conditions. It all depends on which people you put in that formation.

Here's the idea: every character in the game has a series of keywords applied to them. These are invisible, as far as I know, and there's no way to check what keywords someone does or doesn't have. Largely they're pretty obvious - it's usually related to the character's race and gender, not to mention their starting abilities and whether they're a unique character. Rush, for instance, is Special, Male, Mitra, Physical, Mystic, Speed, Recovery, reflecting the fact he can do goddamn anything. A big fat Yama might only have the Male, Yama, Physical tags. Gender-specific tags are quite rare, though I’ve only seen them on a couple formations. That might be because I don’t recall there being any non-mitra females who are unique leaders.

Wedge III requires 3 Physical, 1 Special, and 2 Qsiti tags amongst its members. If you satisfy this you'll get a message saying you've unlocked the variant formation, and all the stat boosts go up to 105%/110%/32% respectively.

Similarly, if you've unlocked the Mattock formation, you need to set up a Wedge formation with 5 Physical, 4 Qsiti, 3 Special, and 1 Not Special. Do that, and you'll unlock Mattock I, which gives 115%/120%/36% and Bludgeon Attack +1 to all members of the union.

Positioning

This is where it gets really fuzzy. There definitely seems to be a correlation between union positioning and how many of its members will get hit by an AOE attack, but it's very hard to pin down for sure. I've definitely seen units that consist of one guy at the front and four at the back tank their way through big attacks because the attack has unexpectedly only hit one member of the union, but this isn't particularly reliable. Generally, the game tends to consider them a shapeless blob in most circumstances.

Specific roles for Formations
Some formations are used for specific things. The Casket formation, for example, makes the leader only 42% as effective at everything, but everyone else gets a boost to STR/INT/SPD, making it more useful if you want to train up a group of people. Comet is the opposite, granting a boost to the leader, and crippling everyone else.

Mystic Seal is a gimmick formation used specifically for training arts. It reduces all attack and speed stats to 0, but boosts DEF and MDEF, so you can train skills without being good at killing things.

Stabbey’s General Thoughts

For the most part in my first time playing, I didn’t really pay any attention to proper formation usage. I picked stuff that had the best stats or attributes listed in the in-game formation guide. This is a perfectly valid way to play. You don’t need to know much more than that.

There are two things that to me, hamper the utility of fiddling with formations too much. The first is that like everything else in the game, the mechanics are obscured and require a guide to fully understand. For instance, I’m using “Hangman’s Noose” for Rush’s union. Nowhere in-game does it say that spaces 4 and 5 have a speed penalty (which doesn’t apply since those spots are empty). Nowhere in-game can you know that you require 5 Speed, 4 Physical, 3 Special, 1 Mitra, 1 Qsiti, 1 Sovani, 1 Yama to get Hangman’s Noose 3. There are 58 basic formations, some of which have other named variants. It’s just way too much to mess around with for such little gain.

The second is that the game will eventually let you field a maximum of 18 units on the field at once – but you can only have a maximum of 5 unions, so your union size at its most spread out will look like 4/4/4/3/3. If the union max was 6, then you could more easily field specialized unions and use positions to fill out only three of the “good” spaces and leave the two “bad” spaces empty. The downside is that your unions would be more fragile.

At this point of the LP, though, we’ll probably end up with unions of 3/3/3, so I can take advantage of placement.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

"I think I’m ready to go. I’ll hire McGrady and Oakes and go fight right now!"

Later on you say you don't hire McGrady, so I'm guessing this is an error.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

If this is the first time you play this game then you probably want to hire McGrady anyways, the only reason why he didn't was because he's already got Remedies unlocked on Rush.

You really want to have a healer. :v:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Nihilarian posted:

That small section was a joke, subtly given away by the clue that I end up dying three screenshots down.

Koorisch posted:

If this is the first time you play this game then you probably want to hire McGrady anyways, the only reason why he didn't was because he's already got Remedies unlocked on Rush.

You really want to have a healer. :v:

Technically, Oakes can heal with Herbs as well. The main reason to pick McGrady over Oakes is because Remedies are free, costing only AP, and Herbs require items.

Early on you probably don't have a lot of spare gold to pack your inventory full of 40 Herbs, especially if you want to hire Baulson, and/or upgrade your weapons. The update coming later today (as in it's done except for the uploading) will introduce a free way to eventually get infinite money though.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
If you think using fans makes you gay, you need Lu Bu in your life, son. Dynasty Warriors the gently caress up.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
If I have learned anything from Dynasty Warriors, it's that anybody wielding a fan is probably capable of firing a million lasers and shouldn't be trifled with.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

I think I’m allergic

Music: Glittering Gold

- Video: Celapaleis Flyover

The capital of Celapaleis. This down has a modern air that is seen in few others.
Celapaleis – Grants Way: This sprawling boulevard runs down the middle of town. It is lined with ships on both east and west sides.

Friendly Man: This is Celapaleis’s main street, Grants Way. You see the palace down the way, do you not? That is where our ruler, Duke Qubine, resides. All along this street are shops offering every eartly delight, so you should take a look.

Weapons, items, accessories, components… You can find anything down this street.
What’s your favorite?
My favorite is… Oh, certainly, the high-grade medicinal herbs imported from the south. Once you get a whiff, you’ll be sold for life.

Smarypants Qsiti: Isn’t the view amazing? There isn’t any other place in the world that’s covered with a Remnant like this! Every one of those crystals floating in the air is the Remnant Umbermarici. So long as Lord Qubiine has bound the Remnant, those crystals will glow, and the people of the town will be happy and healthy. The might and glory of Celapaleis is linked to the Umbermarici, for certain.

Hey, it’s Emma, what’s she doing here?

Oh, oops. Um, I thought you were someone else…
Hmph! Make sure you have the right person next time!
S-sorry…
Hmph… I’ll let it slide this time. Of course, that’s on the condition that there’s never a second.
(That temper is familiar too.)
Did you say something?
N-no!

Calling someone “old lady” is rude and inconsiderate… especially when they aren’t old!

Well, that was uncanny. Let’s just get on with shopping, yeah…

- Video: They call him MISTER Diggs.

There is no voice acting for this video, but the animations are great.

*curious noise*
What the-?
*explaining noise*

The creature does a little dance, leaps up, and disappears.

A thief…? But the store isn’t ready yet. There’s nothing here to steal.

Let’s see… The first thing I’ll need is some light metal. Can’t do customization without it! Time to hit the pub!
Also, after seeing that, I need a drat drink.

Celapaleis – Lamberro District: The glow of the Remnant Umbermarici defines this residential area. Many of the residents are very familiar with the area, as most have been here since birth.

Over here is the Amber Tavern, the local pub. It’s very popular with some types…
You mean… like the “type” that frequents the Athlum pub?
Oh, I don’t mean how you think – apparently the beautiful barkeep is the Amber’s big draw.

The guild of the Golden Chalice is the building with the blue door on the left.

You here from Athlum?
Uh, sorta.
Ahh… how ya like seeing a real city? Celapaleis ain’t anything like your backwater hole. At least you make a good guard dog, haw haw! ‘S thanks to Athlum that those Ghor scumbags don’t try anything. Or at least, if they did, they’d have to go through you first, haw haw!
I don’t like you.
Heh, well, keep up the good work, Athlum schmucks!

Note another guild seal there. It’s locked as well.

Legend Loving Child: A long long time ago here in Celapaleis, there was a really pretty stone. It was so pretty that people were totally mesmerized by it… enough to do evil things. Pretty soon the town was in trouble. But one day a traveler came through town, and saw the stone, and bound it. From then on, it didn’t do anything else bad, and everyone was happy.
Huh?
Legend Loving Child: Whaaat, you still don’t know what I’m talking about? It’s the story of the Umbermarici! Man, you’re stupid! Everybody here knows that!

His Highness, Lord Qubine may look young, but he is quite adept at mystic arts. I have heard there are rabble-rousers within the Ghor castle guard who are so afraid of his strength that they spread rumors about it… Outlandish claims like Lord Qubine is an alien or some Academy-produced magickal boy or something… Ridiculous. Of course, what else could be expected to come from a town like that? Those uncouth boors are lucky to be able to string two sentences together… It’s certainly not worth worrying about what they think.

Ah, so you’re looking to pick up some Guild Tasks, too?
Well, maybe, it depends…
Eh – you don’t think you can do ‘em? Don’t worry. I’ll take you under my wing. If it looks like it’ll go well, then own it! If the going gets tough – run away! That is some number-one top strategery right there, so don’t you forget it!

:argh: There’s no way to run from battles. The closest the game comes is Ctrl + Alt + Shift + R, which resets the game and kicks you back to the main menu. It’s actually a handy time-saver if you realize that the battle is hopeless.

Different towns attract different types of adventurers to their guild. If you aren’t finding the type you’re looking for here, try checking a different town. Once you visit a few other guilds, you’ll understand.

The quests are still the same here, but each place has its own unique recruits. But there are no unique leaders here yet, so who cares. To the tavern!

Barkeep’s Admirer: Even if they were, my lovely tavernkeep, you have no need to worry! I would protect you with my life!

Gossipy Girl: Some weird… thing’s been lurking around Celapaleis, giving people the willies. That’s the latest scoop, anyway!
Bartendress: Ah – I’ve seen it! Ugh, it was terrible…
Gossipy Girl: It was cute!

Rush So, speaking of strange creatures, I was wondering -
Bartendress: Some strange animal or something has been seen around the stores on Grants Way. Ooh, if something like that were to come here, I don’t know what I’d do…

(It might not be a bad idea to try and find someone important here who could help me find Irina.)
Do you know about the important people in this city?
Aristocratic Man: You wish to know the powerful families in Celapaleis? Hmm… The House of Nielsen, the House of Zita… Those two and the House of Gilles-Barre are the most well-known, I believe. However, since rule of Celapaleis passed to Lord Qubine, the Gilles-Barres have fallen into a deep decline. Their patriarch, Count Givern, passed away some years ago… It’s said that was the reason for the House’s fall. Conversely, the Nielsens have risen in standing, especially after Count Gievern’s daughter was married into the family.
Sounds complicated.
Aristocratic Man: Well. Even the high-born have drama, hmm?

Sweet-Scented Maiden: Fallen in love, of course!
With who?
Sweet-Scented Maiden: With one of the Celapaleian guards… He’s beautiful, his eyes sparkle like the Umbermarici… I can’t really see under his helmet, but I just know it! But for now, it’s just a one-sided love… I’m so worked up I feel like I could burst! *sigh*

This girl, found on the second floor of the Amber Tavern, will eventually serve as a good example of why you should talk to NPC’s. But that’s a long way off.

Waitress: Did you see the kind of, er, rough yama sitting by himself downstairs? He’s one of our regulars, but unlike a lot of the people here, he’s traveled all over and knows a lot. If you have any questions about other parts of the world, try screwing up your courage and asking him, okay? I know he looks scary, but he’s really a sweet guy.

(Maybe I should head for Elysion to look for Mom and Dad.)
What do you know about Elysion?
The Lords hold a meeting of the Congress every couple years at the sacred city of Elysion – you know, at the center of the continent. But from here, it’s a long hard journey. If you’re planning on heading to Elysion, make sure you’re stocked for a long trip.

I was going to practice on my gear, but since I know it’s mine, I can’t get into it. Will you help me out?
Okay…
Light metal is a good component to hone my customization skills with. I gotta open shop soon, but would you mind fetching me some?
Uh… any idea where I should look?
Harvesting points…

Got it? Good! Oh, one more thing. You obviously have harvesting tools, right?
Errr…
…Right?
Well…
What? You don’t? Now that’s a problem.
Couldn’t I just borrow some?
I have some, but they’re a family heirloom and priceless… Sorry.

Hey! You again!?

*excited noise*
Hmmm, interested in harvesting points, huh? Raring to go, huh?

I think I’m allergic.
*sad noise*
I said, “He wants to go too, it seems.”
*sigh* Well, if he REALLY wants to…
See you soon!

Accepted quest: Mr. Diggs

The customization guy in Celapaleis wants me to get him some ore while I carry around this ugly little creature.

Monster drops aren’t the only way to get components for weapon upgrades. You can harvest things in dungeons as well, and you use Mr. Diggs to do that. This is a special version of Gaslin with just the one digging point, usually dungeons have a lot of these.

In a fresh game you start out with 5 digs per dungeon, but can find upgrades through the course of the game, and those carry over, so I have 20 to start out with. I also inherited the upgrades that increase the chances for finding additional and better items. This combined will make searching for components a lot easier than in the first playthrough.

And this is a harvesting point. Each one gives us different chances to get specific items. If you’re looking for a specific component, you should use the wiki to search for that component. It will tell you where it can be found, and those pages will tell you which points have the best chances of producing the item.

This tutorial one is scripted to give us light metal only. In the actual dungeon there are other things it can produce, and other points are available. After we get it, we immediately are transported back to the pub.

(Reward: 1000 G)
I’ll meet you back at my customization shop on Grants Way. I’ll be waiting! Oh, and in case you didn’t know, there are harvesting points everywhere. You should keep an eye out for them.

Completed Quest: Mr. Diggs
Mr. Diggs Status has been added to the Party Menu.

Found some ore! Made the customization guy real happy. The ugly little creature likes me and decided to stay with me and help me out.

Mr. Diggs has three stats, Power, Technique, and Instinct. There are different types of harvesting point, each of which increases a different stat. This is another case of overdesigning, because it really doesn’t matter at all.That’s pretty unimportant though, especially on NG+, where you carry over all the upgrades, which are maxed out in my case.

So, what the hell are all these components we’re lugging around actually GOOD for? Now that the customization shops are open, let’s find out.

They’re to both strengthen your equipment, and to create completely brand new stuff. Let us strengthen Rush’s Katanas. (This is an extremely good idea to do before the next main plot stuff, by the way.)

Any craftsman can do any upgrade and create any item, the town doesn’t matter.

Increasing to a Battle Katana will up the weapon’s strength and mystic strength by 8 and Physical defense by 3. The Daimyo Katana will let us skip to the fourth upgrade immediately, at the cost of more G and rarer components used.

I have two Katanas, so I’ll need twice the components, so 4 Copper Ore, 8 Fly Needles, and 14 Mystic Fiend Furs. Darn, I don’t have enough.

Okay yes
, technically, I have enough, but even though it’s NG+, I’m playing this fairly close to a fresh game, which means I am keeping track of the components I need to do an upgrade, and won’t be upgrading until I gather enough on this playthrough. I need to go harvest 4 Copper Ores. But first, it’s time to create an item. I have just the thing in mind, too…

Ragna-rock

Stone that prophesizes the end of the world.

• Unknown Bonus (Read as: Bonus damage to enemy type "Unknown")
  • Immunity: Enthrall
  • Unique Arts + 5
  • Growth Boost: All Arts +2
  • Growth Boost: All Skills +2
  • Growth Boot: Equipment + 2

:getin:

Oh yesssssssss ha ha ha ha hahahahahahaha

If the 888,888 G price tag and long list of effects didn’t clue you in, this is a top-of-the-line item. It boosts the rate at which my Arts improve (which is not the same thing as the individual skills in the art. Don’t ask me, I don’t get it either), the rate my skills improve, it grants me immunity to the very nasty Enthrall (Charm) effect, and I get a 30% damage boost against certain specific enemies (the clue is in the description). The Growth Boost: Equipment effect is bugged and doesn’t work, but the rest is more than good enough to have this little charm on all game long.

… what, I said that I wouldn’t cheat TOO MUCH. I never said I wouldn’t cheat at all. Anyway, to become a Ranger, I have to learn at least one new Mystic skill. So let’s go try it out by fighting in Dillmoor.

Music: Rolling Hills, Sprawling Plains

That’ll do. Rush got a Mystic Chance in the battle, and he has qualified for enough Psionics XP to learn two skills. However, when Rush has multiple possible mystic skills to learn, he can only pick one. The other one isn’t gone, it’ll just have to wait for the next time he gets a Mystic Chance. I grabbed Confuse, because Paralyze seals enemy Combat Arts, and that is better than Enrage, which lowers the enemy Defense (good), but increases their Strength (bad).

With that done, I’ll be avoiding any further battles in this area. That battle took me up to BR 4, the next dungeon is quite doable at that level, and while I’m not doing a low BR run, I still want to avoid unnecessary battles.

Instead, we can talk about harvesting.

“Last Remnant Wiki” posted:

Harvesting Mechanics

• Rare Item: The base chance to find a rare item is 10%; finding one supersedes the normal item chances for that harvest.
  • Item Bonus: Mr. Diggs retrieves more than one of a certain item.
  • Loop Chance: Mr. Diggs gets a chance to achieve an Overdrive.
  • Overdrive: Mr. Diggs harvests the same spot repeatedly. A "Chain" counter at the bottom right displays the exact number of harvests.
  • Nothing: There is always a chance that Mr. Diggs won't find anything. This is a 10% chance for the majority of the harvesting points, but a select few have a much higher chance than this (60%-80%).

When Mr. Diggs goes into Overdrive, he’ll harvest extra times, in this case 5 extra times. It’s usually only in the low single digits, but if you get lucky, he can hit the teens or even higher.

Randomly found (in specific locations) in dungeons are these sparkling red/orange Excavation Points. These are one-time harvests for that instance of the dungeon, but can reappear if you re-enter . They contain either recipes, money, or components. This one just had a Herb component and a smidgen of G.

Alert! Rush is sprayed with a strange liquid. The stench wards off even monsters.

Some points have a chance for extra effects – some good, some bad. This one grants Rush the Terrify aura for a few minutes, which means monsters will avoid attacking him. The effect is the same for the same point each time. The possible effects are:

“Last Remnant Wiki” posted:

• Charm Aura - Rush is sprayed with a liquid which charms nearby monsters. (lasts 20 seconds) (This makes monsters follow Rush around, making it easier to create a large chain.)
  • Provoke Aura - Rush is sprayed with a liquid which angers nearby monsters. (lasts 20 seconds)
  • Terrify Aura - Rush is sprayed with a liquid which scares away nearby monsters. (lasts 20 seconds)
  • Angers Monsters- A loud sound echoes throughout and angers nearby monsters.
  • Digs Decreased - Digs Count decreases by one.
  • Digs Restored - Digs Count is fully restored.

This is obviously a rare, but really good effect, letting you harvest longer. I now only need one more Copper Ore, but why waste good Digs? I harvested this point repeatedly (and got a second replenishment along the way) until I got down to one Dig left, which I’m saving for something…

Obtained Gaster Morsel! …or so you thought – Mr. Diggs ate it!
The (maximum) Digs count has been increased by 1! The Digs Count has been restored to Max!

This is a very special Excavation Point… Morsel excavations appear always in specific spots of certain dungeons - until you harvest them, after which they are gone for good (until NG+). There are a lot of the Morsels in the game. I got 15 of 16 in my first playthrough (no I don’t know which one I missed). Digs count maxes out at 99 if you’re willing to replay the game 5 times, but 20 should be more than enough for my purposes.

If you know where the Morsels are (or save often), you can use this to your advantage by using up all but one Digs, then getting this to fill back up and keep harvesting.

This treasure chest is hiding behind the Rubber Soul. The necklace I think just has a bonus to some resistances on it. Now back to Celapaleis to upgrade my weapons.

Look at all that Copper Ore, and that’s just from that one dungeon. I didn’t even use up all the extra digs from the morsel. Dig sites which replenish your digs are pretty good. Needless to say, getting money in this game is not hard, as much as you want is free for the taking if you want to put the time into harvesting and selling components.

You there, you aren’t Rush Sykes, are you?

:allears:

I wonder who gave that description to the soldiers?

You’re mistaken, old man.
*snort* Playing dumb won’t get you anywhere – if you’re playing at all. Lord David put out a summons… he said he needed to speak with you about something. Hurry to the castle.

When David wants to find someone, he doesn’t kid around. There’s a soldier in every town location and tavern. We’re done fooling anyway, let’s go.

- Video: “Request” from Celapaleis

… That is all, Lord David. I pray for your success.

You’re here!

Music: The Young Marquis

Who was that?
Uh… *ahem* Yes... a messenger from Celapaleis, sent by the Duke of Qubine. He wanted to warn us of some unidentified troops invading Blackdale.
He believes they’re troops from the Duke of Ghor. We are to look into it immediately.
But I thought Blackdale belonged to Athlum. Why’s this guy butting into your business?

*sigh* It was merely a request, not an order. And although we are allies, Athlum is actually under the control of Celapaleis. We have little say.

For once, Torgal’s irritation is directed elsewhere.

If you look at the flags, Athlum’s official colours are red and black. Now, scroll up, and compare the Celapaleis emblem on the soldier’s backs to Lord David’s outfit.

Huh… so what do you need me for?
You will be joining us in our investigation.
Why’s that?
Pagus?

Yes… *a-ahem*. According to the report, the troops from Ghor that have entered Blackdale were led by a mage dressed in white. Not only that, but they were accompanied by a flying Remnant.
That sounds like someone we know. Like those guys we saw at Dillmoor.

Rush sounds surprisingly calm here.

*nods* We must make haste. Prepare for departure at once.
Wait, you’re going? Aren’t you too important for this?
I was requested to go as well. And if nothing else, it should satisfy my curiosity.

We are leaving for Blackdale immediately! Is that clear?
Yes, my Lord!

Music: City of Heroes

Thanks, Dave!

David and Torgal’s squads have joined the party.

There is no armor rating in the game, so the jacket doesn’t do anything except make Rush LOOK more like he belongs on a battlefield. Speaking of battlefields, we’re about to see our first real one. Dave will be our last mandatory party member for a while, so let’s look at his profile

David Nassau

The ruler of Athlum. Cool-headed and poised. Controls the Remnant Gae Bolg.

Class: Mysticknight
Initial BR: 7
HP: (400)
Str / Int: (26 / 24)

Current Arts
  • One-Handed: (Knee Splitter)
  • Invocations: (Spark)
  • Unique: (Ex Machina)
  • Conjurations: (Gae Bolg)
Future Arts
  • Remedies @ BR 34
  • Shards @ BR 50
  • Arcana: Blackout, Crimson Flare

Comments
Dave is a Mysticknight, a fighter-mage hybrid. That means you can build him in either direction. He has both Herbs and Remedies. Both are good, but herbs mostly for the easy revivication option, and you’ll want to use Remedies for the healing. The problem is that mixing combat arts and mystic arts muddies the battle commands somewhat, and slows progression of both arts and stats, so you’ll probably have to turn off the side he won’t use. There’s little risk of him becoming a Scout, especially on the Mystic path, so Herbs are safe.

Dave's special arts are pretty good though: Ex Machina does heavy damage to a single target (which should also kill the entire union), but it requires high union morale, and David’s Division can’t be in Deadlock. Gae Bolg is just as impressive in gameplay as in the cutscenes. It’ll wipe out an entire screen of enemies at once. The trick is that you can only use it if 3+ unions are on the field, David’s Division is not in deadlock, and has enough AP to cast it. Once you know that trick, you can fairly reliably trigger it at will in certain story battles. He can learn a couple Arcanas if you send him down the mystic path, or a Weapon art if you send him down the combat path AND fully upgrade his weapon.

Tags: Combat, Healer, Mystic, Unique Arts, Shards, Arcana

New Arts Summary

learned Bluff II !

Video: Celapaleis Flyover
Video: They call him MISTER Diggs.
Video: “Request” from Celapaleis

Now it is time for the official vote on party configuration for the next little while. See the next post for details.

Next Time: I shan’t dare do anything to put you out.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 18, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Reader Participation: Creating Our First Party

Okay, it’s time to build our first party. Our soon-available party members are:

Rush
David
Emma
Blocter
Pagus
Torgal
Baulson
L.
C.

Yes, we haven’t met those last two yet, but we will. We have 9 spots to fill, and this group will make up our first 9 available Unique Leaders.

Full and detailed Bios are available in the third post, if you want to see my comments on them. These are simplified for space reasons, and show the stats/arts that they will have when we're ready to form the party (I've played ahead to that point.)

Rush

HP: 351 || STR: 28 || INT: 26 || SPD: 19

Current Arts
  • Dual Wield: Nimble Devil's Due III, Bladedancer II
  • Invocations: (Spark II)
  • Remedies: (Restore III)
  • Evocations: (Mystic Missile)
  • Psionics: (Bluff II), Confuse
  • Wards: (Orphic Ward)
  • Hexes: (Poison Gas II)
  • Unique: (Omnistrike)

Tags: Versatile, Combat, Healer, Mystic, Unique Arts, Psionics, Wards, Arcana

David - Mysticknight

HP: 400 || STR: 26 || INT: 24 || SPD: 20

Current Arts
  • Unique: (Ex Machina)
  • Conjurations: (Gae Bolg)
Future Arts
  • Remedies @ BR 34
  • Shards @ BR 50

Tags: Combat, Healer, Mystic, Unique Arts, Shards

Emma - Freelancer

HP: 377 || STR: 30 || INT: 23 || SPD: 22

Current Arts
  • Dual Wield: (Devil's Due)
  • Remedies: (Restore)
Future Arts
  • Invocations @ BR 19
  • Potions @ BR 32
  • Hexes @ BR 45

Tags: Combat, Healer

Blocter - Expert Fighter

HP: 486 || STR: 29 || INT: 17 || SPD: 15

Current Arts
  • Power Grip: (Smash)
  • Herbs: (Restorative Herb II)
Future Arts
  • Hexes @ BR 33
  • Traps @ BR 44

Tags: Combat, Healer (he can’t heal if I turn off Herbs)

Pagus - Expert Shaman

HP: 352 || STR: 20 || INT: 29 || SPD: 16

Current Arts
  • Invocations: (Spark II)
  • Remedies: (Restore II)
Future Arts
  • Wards @ BR 50
  • Herbs @ BR 26

Tags: Mystic, Healer, Wards

Torgal - Expert Fighter

HP: 457 || STR: 28 || INT: 25 || SPD: 17

Current Arts
  • Dual Power Grip: (Fury Blow)
  • Quad Wield: (Quad Slice)
  • Evocations: (Mystic Missile)
Future Arts
  • Potions @ BR 24
  • Psionics @ BR 45

Tags: Combat, Mystic

Baulson - Expert Fighter

HP: 425 || STR: 27 || INT: 16 || SPD: 16

Current Arts
  • Herbs: (Restorative Herb II)
Future Arts
  • Remedies @ BR 18
  • Potions @ BR 30

(Oakes - Expert Fighter)

HP: 300 || STR: 27 || INT: 15 || SPD: 15

Arts

Temporary until we get C.

L. - Fighter

HP: 362 || STR: 26 || INT: 25 || SPD: 19

Current Arts
Future Arts
  • Hexes @ BR 24
  • Herbs @ BR 33

Tags: Mystic, Combat

C. - Master Ranger

HP: 396 || STR: 35 || INT: 25 || SPD: 23

Current Arts
  • Dual Two-Handed: (Flash Strike)
  • Evocations: (Mystic Missile III, Flash Arrow II, Silencer)
  • Potions: (Red Potion)
Future Arts
  • Remedies @ BR 27
  • Traps @ BR 36

Tags: Versatile, Combat, Mystic, Items, Healer

Rules:
1) Only 5 units per union max, only 3 unions max. Separate the unions by a blank line.
2) Specify which unit will be the leader. The leader gets priority of action, and only the leader may use Unique arts. The topmost unit will be considered the leader if not specified. The order of the others doesn’t matter.
3) At least one Healer type in each union.
4) A union can attack with Mystics or Combat arts, but both is not a great idea, so try not to mix them. Specify if a unit will primarily attack with (Combat) or (Mystics).
5) Specify where you want "C.". Oakes will fill in his slot temporarily, but make your decision based on C’s stats/arts and not Oakes’s.
6) Voting closes as soon as I post Chapter 11.

Guidelines:
1) I recommend no fewer than 3 people in a union, otherwise the union risks getting killed – and we still can’t bring dead unions back yet.
2) I cannot turn off Herbs on everyone, even at the risk of them becoming Scouts – it’s simply not feasible to go most of the game without them, as they will be the only way to revive dead unions until Remedies become pretty high.
3) You don’t have to specify if a union is Mystic or Combat focused, I can try and work it out based on the other units in the group, but it helps. You only need to do it for one unit, not all of them.
4) The format doesn't strictly have to match the samples, those are just examples.

Sample vote would look something like this:

Rush (Combat)
Blocter
Emma

David (Mystic)
Pagus
L.

Torgal (Combat)
Baulson
C.

-----OR-----

Rush (Mystic)
Pagus
Torgal
L.
C.

David (Combat)
Emma
Blocter
Baulson

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 13, 2014

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
Can you cast your vote for union leader only or do we have to vote for an entire union? Because I too rushed ahead in the story, though without messing up classes and such so far, but I only remembered who I preferred as leaders.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Drachir D Nalem posted:

Can you cast your vote for union leader only or do we have to vote for an entire union? Because I too rushed ahead in the story, though without messing up classes and such so far, but I only remembered who I preferred as leaders.

I would prefer an entire union, but I suppose I could work with just union leaders and put parties together based only on them. Honestly this vote is an experiment and I don't have any idea how it'll go or if it will even produce a coherent result.

I included the list of tags at the bottom, and the list of arts to try and hint at what the character can be good at, to try and make the voting easier. I'm not sure if it will help.

EDIT: In terms of Leaders, the biggest things leader selection matters for is for performing Special Arts, but only Rush and David have special arts (and it'll take some time for that to change). The other thing is that Battle Commands tend to favour Leaders available skill selection in terms of what comes up, and leaders get preferential treatment when it comes to AP usage and actually executing the art.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 13, 2014

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
Rush(Combat)
Baulson
C

David(Combat)
Torgal
Blocter

Pagus(Mystic)
Loki
Whoever until you get a better choice

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yo, i think you used the wrong mugshot for Emma on the group's "Yes my lord!" line.

I know, it's hard to tell. :v:

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Rush (Combat)
Emma
Torgal

C (Mystic)
David
Pagus

Baulson (Combat)
Blocter
L

Dual/Quad Wielders, Casters/Nerds, Power Grip/2 Handers. Aww yeaaah.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Can you specify what kind of catastrophic mistakes you made? I made quite a few mistakes on my first playthrough, like keeping some unions as a mix of mystic and combat for a while, recruiting leaders well after I should have and such, but I made it.

Generally a TRULY catastrophic mistake is one where you couldn't possibly power through.
I'm not 100% sure what actually went wrong, but here's the situation in short: I was having some trouble with a major boss, so I went to the wiki for help. In doing so I discovered that I should immediately go do some sidequests before continuing anyway. I did the sidequests, and went back to the boss, and found that because the boss scales with BR, and I must have, I guess, somehow been training my guys ineffectively in the mean time, I'm now having even more trouble with the fight than I was before.

So, you may be right that it's so badly botched (:v:) that powering through isn't even an option.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 14, 2014

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Rush (Combat)
Baulson
McGrady Blocter

David (Mystic)
Pagus
L.

Emma (Combat)
Torgal
C.

Always gotta have them units with unique arts as leaders, y'know? And Emma is a leader for obvious reasons.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Even if you haven't got a party suggestion, you can still discuss other things, like Mr. Diggs, or harvesting, or the Ragna-Rock, or Athlum under control of Celapaleis, or what's up with Dave's shirt.

HenryEx posted:

Yo, i think you used the wrong mugshot for Emma on the group's "Yes my lord!" line.

I know, it's hard to tell. :v:

:ssh: No I didn't.

(Goddamnit I knew that was going to get me at some point.)

FractalSandwich posted:

I'm not 100% sure what actually went wrong, but here's the situation in short: I was having some trouble with a major boss, so I went to the wiki for help. In doing so I discovered that I should immediately go do some sidequests before continuing anyway. I did the sidequests, and went back to the boss, and found that because the boss scales with BR, and I must have, I guess, somehow been training my guys ineffectively in the mean time, I'm now having even more trouble with the fight than I was before.

So, you may be right that it's so badly botched (:v:) that powering through isn't even an option.

Enemies do scale, and can learn improved versions of their arts, but the battles in the game can be hard. The first time I reached the last battle of Disc 1, I died a lot of times until I got a lucky break. (But I recently replayed it and didn't have much trouble at all.) You can keep trying and see if you get a break.

Is the problem not having enough herbs, or is it getting creamed by status effects, or just by being one-shot-killed far too often?

The game expects you do do at least some sidequests. I played ahead a little bit to see the main plot and refresh my memory, to try and see when the best time to go blow it off for sidequesting really is, and entering a MQ dungeon, without doing sidequests, I was notably underpowered.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 14, 2014

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Rush (Mystic)
Torgal
L.

David (Combat)
Pagus
Blocter

Emma (Combat)
Baulson
C.

It's what I'd probably do. A restore-user in each union and the characters I like the voice clips of best as leaders. I mean, I guess Pagus is kinda wasted in a Combat union but eh.

Also I have a mixed bunch of feelings on Mr. Diggs. I like he's just some random mole robot appearing out of nowhere and the game's all 'welp, have at it!', but I hate that loving loop chance animation.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So does mr diggs appearance change with upgrades?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So does mr diggs appearance change with upgrades?

Not at all, he always looks exactly the same. He's also absolutely never explained and seems to be the only one of its kind, whatever it is. I think they just added him in at the last minute to have some sort of mascot, because he feels entirely unnecessary, since you could've easily just have Rush gathering things manually like in other games.

But whatever, it's kinda weirdly cute.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

booksnake posted:

Rush (Mystic)
Torgal
L.

David (Combat)
Pagus
Blocter

Emma (Combat)
Baulson
C.

It's what I'd probably do. A restore-user in each union and the characters I like the voice clips of best as leaders. I mean, I guess Pagus is kinda wasted in a Combat union but eh.

Also I have a mixed bunch of feelings on Mr. Diggs. I like he's just some random mole robot appearing out of nowhere and the game's all 'welp, have at it!', but I hate that loving loop chance animation.

Why not swap Pagus and L., if you want to make Rush's union the Mystic one?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Enemies do scale, and can learn improved versions of their arts, but the battles in the game can be hard. The first time I reached the last battle of Disc 1, I died a lot of times until I got a lucky break. (But I recently replayed it and didn't have much trouble at all.) You can keep trying and see if you get a break.

Is the problem not having enough herbs, or is it getting creamed by status effects, or just by being one-shot-killed far too often?

The game expects you do do at least some sidequests. I played ahead a little bit to see the main plot and refresh my memory, to try and see when the best time to go blow it off for sidequesting really is, and entering a MQ dungeon, without doing sidequests, I was notably underpowered.
Alright. I made a few more attempts, and I got there in the end. I was low on herbs, and my guys were dying too easily, so that definitely didn't help, but the real problem seemed to be that I couldn't clean up the non-boss unions quickly enough; my unions consistently died in two hits from the boss, so I was relying on the "break deadlock to heal while a healthy union holds the enemy in place" move to stay alive, and that's not safe if you're outnumbered.

I have Rush as the leader of my Mystic union, so after further reading on the wiki, I think I'd have eventually gotten lucky and a mechanic we haven't seen in the LP yet would have bailed me out anyway, but it turned out I didn't need it.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
This is one of my all time favorite games. It changes up the genre in so many amazing ways. Ways I'm sad to not have seen spread to more games. Glad someone is finally lp'ing this! Sad I missed the first week or two of it!

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
I thought I remembered your name from somewhere! You've done LPs of the Divinity series!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ahahah you made the Ragnarock. Christ.

FractalSandwich posted:

In doing so I discovered that I should immediately go do some sidequests before continuing anyway.

It's worth remembering that sidequests aren't really a powerup, not on their own merits. They'll often give you gold or equipment, but that isn't likely to be that far off what you've already got access to. It's mostly about fighting targets that give effective training, and unlocking locations that have more effective targets to fight.

Also, TLR's one of those games where trying to complete everything will make your game significantly harder, thanks to a couple of pig-ugly optional bosses. Let your first playthrough be a little scrappy if you're stuck somewhere. Definitely don't try to do a low-BR run on the first playthrough, as they basically assume you've gotten all the components you need in your first run-through and can jump straight to a top tier weapon.

Mr. Diggs is cute and all but he annoys me because he's basically just a time sink. There's no reason not to sit there for hours levelling him up the moment you first get him, because if you don't you're intentionally gimping yourself when it comes to harvestable materials.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Dammit McGrady, if you chose to "reevaluate" from casting heal to standby one more time when the team is in critical health, I'm feeding you to those creepy spider things.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

For fucks sake guys, you can revive people and your not in deadlock, do it dammit.

Also thanks for making me get this game through steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
There's still lots of time to vote for party configuration, because there's been little progress on the Chapter 10 update, I was busy yesterday and am today. Tomorrow isn't looking great either. I'm currently working on a battle section and trying to summarize it without it getting too repetitive and/or boring.

Smiling Knight posted:

Dammit McGrady, if you chose to "reevaluate" from casting heal to standby one more time when the team is in critical health, I'm feeding you to those creepy spider things.

Was McGrady's the union in critical health, or was his union healthy, and another one unhealthy? If you give a union a "Keep your HP up" command, they'll only heal their own union. It's only if they get a "heal the other guys" type commands that you can heal another union (and yourself if there's any juice left over). It can't be a matter of a lack of AP, unless in the very rare condition that someone learned/upgraded a combat art mid-battle to one that costs more AP.

Stelas posted:

Mr. Diggs is cute and all but he annoys me because he's basically just a time sink. There's no reason not to sit there for hours levelling him up the moment you first get him, because if you don't you're intentionally gimping yourself when it comes to harvestable materials.

Sure there is. Because that's boring as loving hell, and you only start out with 5 digs on a clean save, so levelling the guy up will take quite some time. Just play normally and harvest normally and he'll level up gradually but steadily and you won't kill your own desire to play the game.

HR12345 posted:

I thought I remembered your name from somewhere! You've done LPs of the Divinity series!

Sure did! I eventually hope to get to Dragon Commander, and Original Sin, but first I'd like to finish Original Sin, and see if I can use the editor to do stuff supplement Dragon Commander. Plus, now I finally have a good computer that can record at decent quality.

• Locked thread