Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Alavaria posted:

Yes, David needing two vulture rawhide.

I think I ran through Blackdale so many times to get it off the 3% chance. Damnit, you rule a city, can't you do something else besides run through Blackdale 20 times or so.

I sort-of save-scummed, and reloaded if I killed a bunch of vultures for nothing. Not after every vulture fight, but after every full trip through the dungeon where I didn't get any. I avoided all the other enemies.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Broken Tag, also, I don't think SA allows for color in posts. either [color=green] or [green text]

Tag fixed, and I know it doesn't allow color in posts, but I was trying to indicate that in-game the text there was green.

EDIT:

I'm going to write short little skits when new party members join in.

So what's a kid like you doin' guild work in Athlum for anyway?
I'm trying to save my sister, Irina. She was kidnapped.
That so? I've got a sister too, and I'd do anything in the world for her. I'd be glad to help. I'll even cut my rates a little.

Second, let’s head for the guild.

Sykes, huh? I've heard about you. You the kid who's trying to help his kid sister?
Sure am!
If you want, you can count me in. Don't take it the wrong way - I ain't gonna work for free or nothin', but I can respect what you're doin'

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

All right, Here is a .ZIP of two LR save files for those who wish to play again. Rehost it somewhere else if you want, I do not care.
Sweet. I might use that instead of my own New Game + save, because I can't seem to get the secret last extra bonus quest to show up, even though I'm 95% sure I got all the others. :saddowns:

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Checking the skill levels, also another great thing that would be pretty much impossible without wiki (and without it how would you know what the skills affect in the first place) and a calculator.

Maybe I've tried using a spreadsheet to track some character's levels :v: Replacing the (art level -> skill xp) with a bunch of if statements, and then the (total skill xp -> skill level) with a vlookup function :smith: Not sure why this comes to mind...

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 24, 2014

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Regarding Skill training, is it better to keep one unit in charge of a legion and power level them, or should I cycle through so everyone is closer together? For example, David is the regular boss of my evocations union, and he has just gotten the lvl 4 spell, but the other two members still lack the the lvl 3 three one. Is that a problem?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Expect holiday-related delays with future updates. I have nothing written for the next one, and I still want to record Chapter 15 before I finish 14. I expect a significant-sized dungeon, but we'll have a full set of unique leaders by then as well.

Smiling Knight posted:

Regarding Skill training, is it better to keep one unit in charge of a legion and power level them, or should I cycle through so everyone is closer together? For example, David is the regular boss of my evocations union, and he has just gotten the lvl 4 spell, but the other two members still lack the the lvl 3 three one. Is that a problem?

This is tricky, so if anyone has a better idea, I'll defer to their judgement.

My thought is that it will probably help a little bit if you rotate characters around, because Leaders get priority for performing arts, but other people have said earlier that just ordering the union to do something gives the most experience, not whether it goes off or not.

So in theory, if I tell David to attack with Invocations, both Loki and Pagus should also get some Invocations experience. Devid just gets a smidgen more because his actually fired off. If Torgal was in that union as well, it wouldn't matter at all to him because Invocations are not on his current art list (and never will be). Practically speaking though, I can't really be too bothered about switching people around too much, even though I probably should.

I will do some switching up of people, though, if only to show off how many synonyms for "group" the localizers came up with.

There is at least one good reason for switching leaders though, that's if you want other people to learn an Arcana (but even then that only matters if they are leading a union). I will leave in-depth discussion of Arcanas out for a while, until we actually learn one. Then it'll get a full mini-update.

Alavaria posted:

Checking the skill levels, also another great thing that would be pretty much impossible without wiki (and without it how would you know what the skills affect in the first place) and a calculator.

Maybe I've tried using a spreadsheet to track some character's levels :v: Replacing the (art level -> skill xp) with a bunch of if statements, and then the (total skill xp -> skill level) with a vlookup function :smith: Not sure why this comes to mind...

Sometimes the internal title of a class can help too. For instance, if you have a Lordly Warrior, that means you have Power Grip 13, so now it is safe to train up Herbs at that point, because you'll go into the Guardian class instead of Scout (combat classes are checked first).

This reminds me that I have to turn One-Handed back on for Blocter, as that is also a requirement for Warrior.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 24, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

My thought is that it will probably help a little bit if you rotate characters around, because Leaders get priority for performing arts, but other people have said earlier that just ordering the union to do something gives the most experience, not whether it goes off or not.

Yeah, exactly this. You'll get some xp for making the call, but more if you actually do it, so you can get some benefit by rotating people around. But it's a lot of work that I can't be bothered to do. Speaking of which! I don't think I've ever listened to a party member's request until end-game because I really couldn't be hosed. I just let them upgrade via BR and everything seemed to roughly work out. Obviously, if you're on an NG+ run, you craft their top-tier weapon and wait for them to beg for it.

Re: speaking to officers - if they meet the requirements for you to be able to get their conversations, then it just takes a certain number of times of entering that location for it to turn red. However, you have to quit the city entirely afterwards, out to the world map. This is really obnoxious when someone's in a big city and their red text pops every 5 visits.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Alright, winners had their keys sent to their e-mails! Grats!

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Well there are "trainers" around that can simply read the skill (and skill group) experience and level. Or you can use the wiki's tables to get an idea of what the levels are.

My strategy thus far is have groups that are either combat or mystic, and put people in one if they need the training. People who really need it sit as leader until boss fights. It seems (not sure) that people in position 2 will have priority to use Arts after the leader, and #3 after that (but not always).

So in theory, if I tell David to attack with Invocations, both Loki and Pagus should also get some Invocations experience. Devid just gets a smidgen more because his actually fired off. If Torgal was in that union as well, it wouldn't matter at all to him because Invocations are not on his current art list (and never will be). Practically speaking though, I can't really be too bothered about switching people around too much, even though I probably should.
You can see what the different party members plan to use. (Art, or just Attack). I've had a party member sitting in my mystic attack group but not ever actually using or even planning to use a mystic art. He's never levelled up Spark or any invocation (he has Spark), though the leader is always using it, and others too.

Annoyingly, the chap levelled up Hexes (a deliberate thing, I made him leader for it), and now I need to feed him Invocations level so he can become a Mysticknight.

You can also get people in a union using different things eg: (Combat Art + Herbs), or perhaps (Mystic Art + Remedies). It would be more likely the game tracks each person, seeing what they do (Art, Attack etc) and gives them experience where appropriate.

At one point Pagus was worrying me as he started constantly wanting to Combat Art (this is with the Go All Out commands, he rather not use his advanced invocations??), because I turned off his Spark V. So I turned off all his combat arts, though it should be safe for him to learn some I guess.

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 27, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do appreciate this game only opening up a small part of dungeon for the actual dungeon and leaving the rest for sidequests.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
In the Bravery and Loyalty boss fight you ended up getting raidlocked and intercepted on the first turn of battle. This feels like it has to have been a mistake. What was the reasoning behind giving that order to stand by? doesn't standing by just end up costing you a big chunk of morale in that situation? Or did holding still have some positive effect in terms of positioning or which union deadlocked which?

Also I don't think it's a problem if leaders get a bit ahead of the rest of the party in terms of skills. Why? because usually the leaders are just flat out way better characters with some sort of really powerful unique or weapon art. They end up getting a bit ahead, but they're the best so it's only a good thing they're slightly ahead. The main key I think is just getting everyone in the union on the same (similar) page so that they are getting some skill exp for having the right skill that the leader keeps picking to attempt.

namad fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Dec 28, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

namad posted:

What was the reasoning behind giving that order to stand by? doesn't standing by just end up costing you a big chunk of morale in that situation? Or did holding still have some positive effect in terms of positioning or which union deadlocked which?

I mentioned it above, but the main problem this game has is the very first turn of bossfights. With all your unions at full health, they will generally want to rush ahead and engage the boss, which seems sensible until you realize this is the fastest way to get killed as you risk having multiple units get countered by an AOE attack. The way to success is to deadlock a boss with a couple units and always have a fresh, healed unit out of deadlock ready to rotate in if someone else needs to heal, and this usually means that you want to try to have one unit standby first turn. Trouble is, they risk getting rushed.

This is especially true when you have loving BIRDS around because they are guaranteed to counter anything on the first turn with curse AOEs - you want to minimize how many times they get to attack.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Sorry for the ongoing delays. It is the holidays, and I've also been playing Divinity: Original Sin as well. I'm 100 hours in and getting pretty close to the end, I think.

Also, this update will be a billion words of text and I have not been able to find a script dump, which means typing by hand.

namad posted:

In the Bravery and Loyalty boss fight you ended up getting raidlocked and intercepted on the first turn of battle. This feels like it has to have been a mistake. What was the reasoning behind giving that order to stand by? doesn't standing by just end up costing you a big chunk of morale in that situation? Or did holding still have some positive effect in terms of positioning or which union deadlocked which?

That was a bit of a mistake on my part, yes. However, Rush's troop was in the mobility-reducing Blizzard formation, so if he just charged in, he stood a good chance of getting intercepted by the birds. Accidentally engaging the birds with unnecessary unions - before you get the ability to revive - is something to be avoided.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 28, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Its power keeps the world in balance

- Video: Welcome to Elysion

Home of the Congress and the Sacred Lands, Elysion is generally considered the heart of the continent. Its long history gives it a unique flavor. Both modern and historic.

Wow!
That is the Elysion Remnant. Its power keeps the world in balance.

The remnant is known by two names: Elysion, or alternatively, The Sacred Lands.

A thousand years ago, the great Marian Marshall bound herself to the Remnant, marking this as the birthplace of Remnant culture.
Huh….

I thought you were originally from Elysion?
Yeah, I was born here, but we moved to Eulam when I was still a baby. I don’t remember Elysion at all.
Lord David.
Right. Let’s head to the Embassy.

The Academy is headquartered here, so it makes sense that the Doctors Sykes lived here. But since the Skyes apparently didn’t move away from Elysion to spend more time with their kids, why did they move to Eulam way out in the boonies, away from the center of the continent and all their work? Just something to keep in mind.

“Academy Visistone 24, 26-27” posted:

[Remnants 24] The Remnant Elysion is currently unbound.
[Remnants 26] A Remnant's size does not relate to its strength, though the core Remnants have great powers.
[Remnants 27] It is inferred that all Remnants were created from Elysion.

The assembly still hasn’t started?
Not yet, the Dukes of Ghor and Qubine have not yet arrived.
I suppose the perks of dukedom include never having to be on time.

That being the case… Rush, let’s take a walk, shall we?
Uh, is that okay?
I’ll be summoned when the time comes. Besides, matters should be simplified if you stay near me, Rush. I trust there are no complaints.

Not so long as you allow us to accompany you, my lord.
Of course. Let’s take this opportunity to obtain as much information as possible – and we wouldn’t want to miss out on paying the Academy a visit.
Yeah!

Huge is a relative term, given that we only get to visit a small portion of the cities, but Elysion is pretty big, and has four areas we can visit. Let’s start with Hendler.

Music: The Heaven’s Majesty (Elysion Theme)

Elysion – Hendler: A commercial area found in the newer section of town. Rare merchandise and information can be found here.

Shopper Girl: Are you lost?
Well, this is the first time I’ve been here…
Shopper Girl: This is Hendler, the market area. You can find all sorts of great stuff here. Everything’s kind of expensive, but it’s only because we sell the best! … Unlike what they sell at the frumpy shops on Tula Street. I would stay away from that area if I were you.
Okay, you got it! Tula street is a no-go!
Shopper Girl: This place usually isn’t so packed, but there’s a Congress meeting taking place soon. Hence, the crowd.

Our town has no lord. It is run by the chairman of the Congress, a position rotated by the representative of each land.
That sounds fair.
But in reality, the man with the most power ends up getting the job. The position has gone to Lord Hermeien of Nagapur for the past few years.
What do you know about him?
Rumor has it that he’s using his authority to conduct some experiments at the Academy – something about creating new weapons.

Many important folk pass through here.
Why?
Why, you ask?

Be careful – if you act too suspiciously, they might arrest you.

At least, I did… So, when I was lost, I kind of spent all my cash… That means you should buy some of my special Khrynia explosives. They’re like, “da bomb.” (1500 G)
Sounds kinda… unstable.
Blarrrg… You’re totally no fun.
*shrug* Sounds like a blast!
Thanks!
Reward: Methone Explosive x 4, Glowroot x 4.
Okay! Time to lose this Elysion!
Completed quest: Elysion’s Witch.
I bought some dodgy “Khrynia” explosives from a magus-y girl lost in Elysion. She ran off – hopefully she’ll remember her compass this time.

I think you get the idea behind the Khrynia quest chain now. She’ll appear in every city, and we have to buy what she’s selling to advance the chain. The good news is that she’s often selling these things at a much cheaper cost than we would have to pay to buy or create them ourselves. The bad news is that we may not actually need or want the item. The further bad news is that it’ll be a while before we see Khrynia again.

Migrant Worker: I left my family back home to come to this town to make some money. By the time I made it out of Berechevatelle and made it here, I was exhausted – getting chased by monsters and all. It was worth the trouble, though. I need a high-paying job to feed my kids.
To what?

Academy Researcher: The guilds in the holy city make the others seem dull in comparison. Look at the registry! Not only are there a lot of soldier signed up, there are some big names! It’s both impressive and overwhelming.

Lies. There are only a handful of generics on the list, no one interesting.

I think we should see the temple district next, what do you guys think? … Huh? Where’d everybody go?

Elysion – Genaade District: Temples honoring the Sacred Lands line the streets of this most historic of districts. Many who seek spiritual aid reside here.

Elegant Madam: This is the center of the old town, Genaade District. Many historic temples line the streets.

Elegant Madam: Is that what brings you here, too? To say some prayers?
Not particularly, I’m just a tourist.

Uh.
You don’t look happy to see me.
Uh, n-no, that’s not true! Say ol-O beautiful young maid, what’re you doing around here?
Training. In my family, it’s a rite of passage to travel the world.
Huh… Sounds pretty tough. Take care of yourself, okay?
Thank you. You’re not as inconsiderate as I thought.

You know about Lady Marion and the romance between her and the Imperator, right? *sigh*
Umm…
I wish something wonderful like that would happen to me, too… *sigh*

Though the way the town was built, even folks like me, who have lived here for over thirty years, still get lost!

Another closed guild.

Mythology-Savvy Devotee: See the Sacred Lands through the clouds? According to legend, that’s where the souls of the dead return. A thousand years ago, there was a war that cost many their lives. Marion Marshall prayed for the dead, and her prayer enveloped the Sacred Lands with a celestial light. Since then, it has been an area for souls to rest.

Devoted Woman: This is the temple dedicated to Marion Marshall. You saw the statue up front, didn’t you? It’s a statue of Lady Marion. She has the most peaceful look on her face, doesn’t she?
If you say so.

I’m just here visiting, but seems to me that this place really has a distinct air to it – one not found anyplace else. The people who come here really seem to believe that the legendary Marion Marshall truly existed. She is a beauty, isn’t she? Seeing this statue, I can see why they want to believe she existed!

“Academy Visistone 31-34” posted:

[The Marshalls 1] The Marshalls were an ancient clan, infamous for their mysterious powers.
[The Marshalls 2] A Marshall did not need to focus an object to use mystic arts.
[The Marshalls 3] The Marshalls used magick, an ancient ability that has long been forgotten.
[The Marshalls 4] The Marshalls were said to have developed many fantastic techniques.

Once Lady Marion connected with the Remnant, her soul traveled to the Sacred Lands. She still looks upon us from the heavens. She prays for the souls of the dead to safely reach the heavens to join her side.

He’s guarding a door with a “?!” icon, but we can’t get in. That’s all for here, let’s go to Assembly Plaza.

Elysion – Assembly Plaza: Many important facilities are housed in this district located directly beneath the Sacred Lands.

There you are!
You really shouldn’t wander off like that, Rush. It’s easy to get lost in a town this big.
Yeah, Rush.
But I… oh, never mind.

Another closed guild.

Elysion Guard: This is the highest tier of Elysion. The Academy is up these stairs and across the main street.
The Academy, huh?
Elysion Guard: The assembly hall is at the end of the street, but civilians aren’t allowed entry. The stairs next to the assembly hall lead to the Ark. It’s a big tourist attraction. Is that why you’re here, too?

Academy Researcher: Elysion is under the rule of the Congress, an organization consisting of the heads of each state. This is why a research establishment like the Academy is here in this city.

Nice view.

Ummm… I’m here to see Doctor Sykes.
I’m sorry, but the doctors are in the middle of some extensive research and cannot be disturbed at this time.
What?
The Academy strives to make the world a better place by spreading the fruit of our labor to every corner of the world. We are never to inject our personal feelings into any matters here.
Hey listen, lady, do you know who I am?
You’re Rush Sykes?

I’m Haruko, director of the Academy. Don’t tell anyone I told you… Doctors John and Marina Sykes are off in the Sacred Lands for a routine evaluation. It will be a while before anyone can get in touch with them, because you have to use the Remnant Ark to get up there.
That’s just up the street, isn’t it? Okay. I’ll just pop on up, then.
Unfortunately, once the Ark is used, you need to wait several months before you can use it again.

Oh, okay. Thanks for your time then.
…?

Let’s look around the Academy a little bit. There’s not really much here.

Thanks!
But they win my respect because they’re both opposed to the weaponization of Remnants. I hope I get to work with them someday!

The previous director was an old fogey appointed way back by the previous Congress Chairman. He was very pushy and overbearing, always tried to keep things to himself. Not many of us liked him. There were always rumors flying around about him causing problems behind the scenes… Everyone thinks this latest personnel shuffle was meant to shut those up.

Even in fantasy JRPG’s academia is still full of politics.

Researcher on Break: I worked with John on a previous project. He’s very down-to-earth and kind, especially considering that he’s one of the best scientists working at the Academy. He’s a family man, too. He has a picture of his family on his desk that he’s always staring at.
(Maybe a real family man would be able to stare at his family in person, instead of just a picture… maybe then I wouldn’t have to deal with this all by myself...)

Obtained Academy Visistone 27!

You know those visistones I’ve been posting in the thread? Here’s where you find them. Talk to this silent researcher every so often and she gives you a few more.

“Academy Visistone 28-29” posted:

[Remnants 28] Remnants constantly emit resonating waves.
[Remnants 29] Remnants are made from an unknown substance, unaffected by space or time.

I thought you would press the director for more information?
What’s the use? She’d just keep lying to my face.

Just before Irina was kindapped, my parents sent me a visistone telling us to come live in Elysion with them. There’s no way they’d suddenly just disappear to the Sacred Lands for a several-month ‘routine visit’.

Uncovering the truth about Remnants means uncovering the biggest truth ever to exist.

Tourist: Not a lot of people know this, but the Academy scientists are allowed to ride it several times a year! I’m so jealous!

In the previous shot, the Yama is guarding the way into the Assembly hall. We can’t go in. So let’s go to the Ark, why not.

Elderly Tourist: That light… So celestial… Seeing that was worth my trek here. I can cross this off my list of things to do before I die.

So this is the Ark. I thought it would look more like something you ride. How does this work exactly?

Ark Tour Guide: The Academy has the ability to send a select few to the Sacred Lands several times a year. The Remnant that Marion Marshall bound to herself is the Sacred Lands, the mass of rock above. The Sacred Lands is where our souls go to rest when we pass away – it is even referred to as a heaven.

So it is the resting place of souls, but living people can visit it occasionally and return. This seems like it has shades of the Farplane of Final Fantasy X. But it’s not really like that.

“Academy Visistone 14" posted:

[Remnants 14] One known Luminescence cycle is that of the Remnant Ark: three months.

Which way to the bar, again?

Elysion – Hendler

Music: A Friendly Ear

Interesting, huh?
Children need to get into trouble and receive punishment. Brats need a taste of the real world!
… Speaking from experience, are you?

A few things… first, what can you tell me about the neighbouring cities?
Elysion’s central location makes it simple to travel to many places from here. As for plaes worth visiting… Hmmm… let’s see. Balterossa, a large trade city to the southwest, has a huge population and a great selection of goods. Ooh, and there’s Royotia, a mining town south past the desert. The area is famous for quality ore. Let’s see… What other places are out there? You should go see for yourself!
Know much about the Academy?
The Academy is a Remnant research facility found near the assembly hall. The Academy is heavily backed by the Congress. Chairman Hermeien’s obsession with Remnants borders on unnatural. He invests a lot of money to keep the Academy afloat.
Lastly, I’d like to know about… you.

Sweet!

You want directions to other towns? Listen carefully, sonny. The Southwestern Road to the desert is used as a trade route, but any merchant travelling that road takes plenty of protection – and with good reason. That place is crawling with monsters! If you value your life, you won’t take that road. Capice?

You’ve been thinking about that too, eh?
Huh?
… Don’t look at me like you don’t know what I’m talking about! The barkeep!
Well…
The white lab coat she used to wear... The blonde hair that shines like the sun… Fiery almond-shaped eyes full of life… You’re thinking of going after her, aren’t you!? Well, you should give up now. You know why?
Noooo…
If the research my brother’s doing in Melphina is successful, she’ll fall head over heels in love with me! Hahaha!
…Seriously?

There are plenty of goodies to buy in Elysion, but I really recommend the Blessed Buns.
That’s not a euphemism, is it, because after what happened in Athlum –
They’re soft and feathery on the outside, like clouds, with a creamy filling, like the Remnant Elysion floating within them. One bite will take you to heaven – or the Sacred Lands.
…I’m just going to assume you’re talking about baked goods.
Getting hungry? They’re sold in Hendler if you want to go home with a pack or ten!

The new Academy directory, Ms. Haruko, is very skilled as a scientist, but I’m not sure she has the management skills to run the whole Academy. She was put in that position temporarily, and will soon be replaced by someone else – perhaps John Sykes.

Gloomy Man: Hey… This letter… It’s gotta get to the Balterossa pub… Could you, maybe…
Quit harshing my buzz.
Gloomy Man: Ahh… Figures…
Actually, on second thought. …take it for you? Sure!
Um… Rush?
Gloomy Man: To get to Balterossa… Take the Southwestern Road… The guy there will reward you, probably… You don’t have to tell me about it later – it’s not like anyone cares about me, anyway… Thanks…
Obtained Secret Letter!
Accepted quest: The Secret Letter

Some really gloomy guy gave me a letter to give to someone in a pub in Balterossa. I should take the Southwestern road to get there.
No problem, I’m on it!
Rush…

Chill out, Pagus. The Congress hasn’t started yet. We’ll get Dave back in time for that thing for sure! Come on, everyone: road trip!

*sigh* (I never thought I would miss the days when I was changing diapers.)

Pagus is complaining about us leaving Elysion, but the game does not actually STOP you from leaving. If the game REALLY wanted to stop you leaving town, it would (and does on a few occasions). If you DON’T blow off the main plot now, in fact, and keep following it until the next dungeon, you’ll find yourself underpowered. So yeah, Road trip time! (Also, we need to do it to get our 9th Unique Leader.)

Video: Welcome to Elysion

Next Time: Even now, I don’t like to go to the bathroom alone

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 27, 2017

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

And so begins the REAL meat of The Last Remnant. Futzing around with no clear direction doing shady sidequests and finding out that yes, there IS one more town over here. Are you going to take the straightforward but long route to Balterossa or do the shortcut and get an extra sidequest out of the way?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
This was one of my favourite things in this game. "Oh, that up there? Yeah, that's Heaven. You can go up and take a walk around if you want. Interested? Let me just get the paperwork sorted for the lift and we'll add you to the waiting list."

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Sorry for the delays, I picked up a cold over the holidays and I was not terribly enthusiastic about working on the LP. I still have it, too.

Infinity Gaia posted:

And so begins the REAL meat of The Last Remnant. Futzing around with no clear direction doing shady sidequests and finding out that yes, there IS one more town over here. Are you going to take the straightforward but long route to Balterossa or do the shortcut and get an extra sidequest out of the way?

Straightforward.

First, because I want to try and attempt to keep the quest progression organized in a way that somewhat makes sense. Second, because I need to pick up a party member from Balterossa, and it makes no sense to do a quest before then.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 1, 2015

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Revenant Threshold posted:

This was one of my favourite things in this game. "Oh, that up there? Yeah, that's Heaven. You can go up and take a walk around if you want. Interested? Let me just get the paperwork sorted for the lift and we'll add you to the waiting list."
Reminds me of that thing in Final Fantasy X?

Doubtless there's some -twist- though, I think the one in that game wasn't the afterlife either.

Any organized religion, afterlife, and a few other things tend to end up "not as they are presented to be" in these games :)

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 1, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also, Beltarossa is a town that I'm 99% sure the game plot never goes, in fact it's basically the gateway to a third of the world, and you've never forced or prompted to go down there.

This is where the game cracks open puts its feet up and goes "Right! You got all the basics down right? Now explore to your hearts content!" and I loving love it for it!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I hate the desert because of one particular part of it. Even with increased run speed from a trainer that part was just awful.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Serious Frolicking posted:

I hate the desert because of one particular part of it. Even with increased run speed from a trainer that part was just awful.

I know that part, Stabbey knows that part, everyone who plays TLR knows that part. It's the worst part of the game.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Those of us who haven't played or reached that part should start a bet over whether the problem with the desert is that it's super rear end to navigate or if there's an annoying 'keeping hydrated/cool' gimmick mechanic.

Or worse, both.

My bet personally is on the former, because my intuition tells me that the team that made this game had too much heart to do the 'keep hydrated' mechanic. But I can imagine them doing a 'lost woods' sort of puzzle if they had a bad day when designing the area.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Onmi posted:

I know that part, Stabbey knows that part, everyone who plays TLR knows that part. It's the worst part of the game.

I WAS going to fast-forward through that part, but now I think I'll leave it in entirely unedited, just so people REALLY understand. :v:

(Or maybe I'll include both a fast-forwarded and un-fast-forwarded version.)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I WAS going to fast-forward through that part, but now I think I'll leave it in entirely unedited, just so people REALLY understand. :v:

Dooooo ittttttttttt!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It does feel like kind of a dick move to just drag the Dave Squad on your explorations. Do they stay in town? I imagine not.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Glazius posted:

It does feel like kind of a dick move to just drag the Dave Squad on your explorations. Do they stay in town? I imagine not.
All the mechanical bits of this game would make a lot more sense if David were the main character.

That would put Rush in the role normally filled by the female lead, which is kind of interesting. He'd be the princess or whatever who has to enlist the protagonist's help to recover some object or complete some task of hers - rescuing his sister, in this case. Because women in these games can never get anything done on their own, I guess. Or more charitably, because you have to give the player a party somehow.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

All the mechanical bits of this game would make a lot more sense if David were the main character.

That would put Rush in the role normally filled by the female lead, which is kind of interesting. He'd be the princess or whatever who has to enlist the protagonist's help to recover some object or complete some task of hers - rescuing his sister, in this case. Because women in these games can never get anything done on their own, I guess. Or more charitably, because you have to give the player a party somehow.
No, just swap Rush for Irina.

So Rush gets kidnapped. But please, no terrible romance subplot (doubtless someone will link a Rush-David fanfic now)

It would be amusing if you could then have Rush segments where you do (quests? tests?? whatever) for those kidnapper guys. And moan about how Irina is taking too long to save you.

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 3, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I just loaded a first playthrough save and fought two long battles and tough bosses just to get a couple headshots for some characters... even though I won't need them for quite a while. Thankfully, I know the secret to spamming Gae Bolg shots to make some battles much shorter!

Glazius posted:

It sure is a dick move! But it'll actually seem a little less bad after the next update. Turns out some of the other Dukes are also not yet in Elysion.

Mechanically speaking, no one leaves the party unless it is really important for them to not be in the party. The game is reluctant to kick anyone out of the party - no matter how little sense it makes for them to actually still be present. That's not a bad thing, though: because that would mean messing up your formations and rejiggering your unions, and no one likes pointless busywork like that. It's a conceit to make the gameplay better at the cost of logic.

Even though plot wise, it makes no sense to leave Elysion yet, it's something the game not only allows, but intends for you to do. Not only does it freely let you go back to the world map with only a token protest, but one of the only two quests in Elysion points you right at the next city. (There's actually another quest that opens up in Athlum, but I'll get that one last.)

In terms of the LP's pacing, if I were to leave all those quests for later on, when the main plot is more relaxed and not expecting Dave to stay put, I'd have an even bigger blob of them to do at once, and it would be more lopsided.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Even now, I don’t like to go to the bathroom alone

- Video: The Southwestern Road

An important trade route running along the Dobraza Ravine. It’s not a particularly safe road, but many use it to find that great deal.

Music: Rolling Hills, Sprawling Plains

The Southwestern Road, as suggested by its uninteresting name, is not a very interesting place. It’s another zone that you have to walk through once to unlock another area, after which there’s little reason to come back.

This almost looks to be at the edge of the desert, although the world map says otherwise. The Southwestern Road looks pretty dry. The grass is sparse at best, and there are only a few palm trees.

Woah, hey guys, look how small the Sacred Lands look from here!

I see the city, come on guys, I’ll race you! Last one there’s a perforated tuveloid!

- Video: Balterossa Flyover

One of the three great leading towns of the worldwide economy, it is also called the Sand Sea Gate, as it controls all trade through the Great Sand Sea.

Music: Gateway to the West (Balterossa Theme)

Huh? Geez, they’re still way back there. It’s like they’re not even trying to race.

Balterossa – Merchant’s Lot: Many merchants handle their trade business in this district before heading back to their homeland.

Merchant: Travelling merchants stop here to take a break during their long journeys or talk shop with other merchants. You should take a load off, too!

The Last Remnant does something fairly remarkable here. Balterossa is in fact, entirely optional to visit. You never have to go here during the main quest, ever. Not only that, but it’s also the way to two other cities that are also entirely optional (and there’s also a fourth optional city). There’s a whole ton of sidequests that can only be completed by visiting those cities, naturally. If you just follow the main quest, you can blaze through the main plot pretty drat fast, but you’ll miss out on the majority of the game’s content.

You’re looking well.
Heya, Ms. Young Maiden.
…Right. So, could you not call me that? It sounds ridiculous, to say the least.
Well, it’s not like I know your name.
Oh?

The name’s Emmy.
Nice to meet you for real, finally. I’m –

Wha!? C-can you see into my brain!?
Perhaps! Of course, it wouldn’t be very difficult…
*sigh*
Take care, Rush.
I think I’ll look around the Spirale Market before I move on. They’re supposed to have everything there.

Tao Tie-Admiring Child: It can stick its tail in soo deep, an’ drink water from, like, super-deep underground! When I grow up, I’m gonna be the Tao Tie!
Uh yeah, you just practice at that…

Aristocratic Man: Lady Bertrude, Duchess of Balterossa, once was married, but the Duke was killed in an accident in the desert, long ago. Since then, Lady Bertrude has run Balterossa by herself. Her affection for her daughter, the Lady Charlotte, is unmatched… Perhaps as she is the only piece of the late Duke left.
The only piece of the Duke left? What happened to the other pieces?
Aristocratic Man: Sand weasels, I believe.

Hey… hey. Have you seen the Duchess’s daughter, Lady Charlotte? She’s the most beautiful girl in all Balterossa… Whenever I see her, I just want to – Urhurr hurr hurr…
I’m just gonna go away now.
…But, I-I’ve heard she has a-a lover… What kind of guy is she interested in? And why isn’t it me?
I could list the most obvious reasons, but I’d still be here all day.

There you are.
Took you long enough, slowpokes!
We were -not- racing you.
Hey, you should meet this girl I’ve seen around. I think she’s psychic or some- huh? Where’d she go?
You should be careful, Rush. If you overexert yourself, you could get heat stroke and die. And that would be a terrible shame.
Hmmm… I do believe hallucinations are one of the signs of heat stroke.
C’mon, Rush, lets get you inside somewhere.

Hmmm? Is that… are you the Marquis of Athlum?
I am indeed, and who might you be?
Forgive my manners. I am Cademon, leader of the Silver Falcons!
The mercenary group?
Yes, exactly. We fight to maintain peace and order in the world - mostly by eliminating bands of monsters who get too aggressive, and threaten towns. Unfortunately, the Lords of those towns are often less than grateful.
Well, I think that work is rather noble.
Thank you, Marquis. Hmmm… I wonder…
…?
I hope I’m not being too presumptuous, but could you allow me to accompany you? I am a capable fighter, and I believe that being seen in the company of the Marquis would certainly help raise the standing of the Silver Falcons in the eyes of the nobility.
You would be most welcome to join!

Caedmon

Leader of the Silver Falcons. Surprisingly public for a sovani. Dutiful and principled, but despised by those in power.

Class: Master Ranger
Initial BR: BR 18
HP: (396)
Str / Int: (35 / 25)

Current Arts
  • Dual Two-Handed: (Flash Strike)
  • Evocations: (Mystic Missile III, Flash Arrow II, Silencer)
  • Herbs: (Restorative Herb)
  • Potions: (Red Potion)
Future Arts
  • Remedies @ BR 27
  • Traps @ BR 36
  • Arcana: Whiteout

Comments
Now we’re talking. Caedmon, our second Sovani, starts out as a Master Ranger, with a bunch of Evocations skills learned. Still though, his INT is lagging 10 points behind his STR, and his only other Mystic art is the common Remedies. However, His HP does starts out notably low for his BR, suggesting a caster role. Recruit him right away, for he has three quests to do.

Tags: Versatile, Combat, Mystic, Items, Healer, Arcana

Now our starter party is finally complete. So long Oakes, you are fired. At more than 19,000 G, Cademon is pretty expensive on a first run. He starts at BR 18, and I am BR 8, so I’m getting him significantly earlier than the game expects. That high price is nothing to even blink at on NG+. You get what you pay for, though, as he is very versatile. It’s safe to leave Herbs on for him, as he has three levels of Evocations already learned, so it would take a lot of work before Items becomes dominant.

Urgh… Every night, I’ve been kept up by that damned bell ringing…
What bell?
What the hell, didn’t you know? It’s the ruins outside of town – Mojcado Castle. Centuries ago, it was this beautiful silver castle. The ruler did all sorts of rituals there, was celebrated in song, yadda yadda. Of course, now it’s all run down, overrun by monsters. That’s just how it goes.
So what’s that got to do with the bell?
Thing is, in the middle of the castle is this huge belltower. Sometimes it’ll ring at night, even though the place’s deserted… Ugh, gives me the creeps!

The desert’s plenty dangerous, but it’s worth bravin’ it for all the treasure hidden out there. Rumor going ‘round the guild is that beneath the Great Sand Sea is the ruins of the greatest of the Old Kingdoms – the Kingdom of Glenys. What I’d give to get even a look at that loot…

Let’s continue.

Forgive me for asking, Lord David, but I wasn’t expecting to see you here. I thought there was supposed to be a meeting of the Congress.

That’s correct, although, it hasn’t started yet. … I think.
Err…
Lady Bertrude herself returned rather suddenly, almost before she even left. I’m not sure why.
See Dave? If she’s still here, there’s loads of time!

Balterossa – Spirale Market: This district was built around an underground oasis, which provides the town with its blessing. Rarities from the southwestern area of the continent are often found here.

Qsiti Merchant: This is Balterossa’s famed shopping area, Spirale Market. It’s named for how the path twists around the Remnant Tao Tie. Here you can buy the finest weapons from across the continent, and pick up the rarest components… everything you could ever need!

I think that the Spirale Market is a masterpiece of set design. Technically, you only get access to a tiny section of the market. But the amazing view of all the other levels, the Tao Tie, the water below, the sky and the city above… it gives you an impression of being far, far larger than it actually is.

South of the Great Sand Sea is the mining city of Royotia. The gems and ore they mine are exclusively sold here in Balterossa. Balterossa is rich both economically and culturally – being a major trade hub attracts people from all over. As a Balterossan, I consider it a point of pride. However, to put it plainly, the Royotians are incredibly jealous of our fortune.

Not surprising. Because everything Royotia ships has to pass through Balterossan territory at some point, they have to pay tariffs, and I bet that even includes stuff that they are shipping past Balterossa, too. The Royotians do the work of digging the stuff out, and Balterossa makes a fine profit for doing jack poo poo.

Elegant Madam: It’s amazing that we can have such a bustling city in the middle of the desert, isn’t it. It’s all due to the blessing of the Tao Tie. Go on, take a look. It’s like two giant insects, isn’t it? Those sweet beasties take care of all Balterossa.

Balterossa – Balterossa Castle: The Lords of Balterossa, administrators of the underground water supply, now reside in this castle. It was formerly the home of the town’s guild leader.

You stand before the Lady Bertrude! Mind your manners.
You stand before the Duchess of Balterossa! Watch your tongue.
You are in the presence of Lady Bertrude of Balterossa! Mind your manners.
Why does everyone always look at me when they say stuff like that?
It must be your face.

I trust you’ve visited our market? I am certain you’ll be impressed by the various rare items offered for sale there.
Yeah, that’s a pretty cool place!
Thank you. Now if you don’t mind, there are urgent matters of state that I must attend to.

That’s all for the tour, now to the Café Moondust.

:stare: Busy place. The interesting thing is that all four of those red bubbles are quest-related, but have different results. But first, let’s talk to the generic folks.

What the heck is that thing in front of the tavern?
Cowboy Qsiti: What’s the critter sitting outside? That’s my partner, of course! Traveling merchants like us make our way by takin’ a wide range of goods back and forth across the desert. It’s a harsh trip, but with my faithful companion by my side, the journey ain’t so bad.
Ooh, ooh, can I ride?!
Cowboy Qsiti: Woah, there, pardner, hold yer horses. No matter how much you offer, I ain’t about to let my faithful steed go!

Bartender: Welcome to Café Moondust. Hey there, didja know? There’s a city even past the great desert. At the southern tip of the world, sitting at the base of Mt. Altona is a town of hardy – if pigheaded – miners.
Anything else?
Bartender: What, you want to know what’s in the western desert? The old adventurers used to say that west of the west was a forgotten town. But no one knows if it’s true or not – no one’s ever come back from there alive.
Sounds like a challenge to me!
Bartender: Mmm, I wouldn’t waste time worrying about that place. I would never allow my daughter to go there, either!

That’s the latest news, Daddy.
Bartender: Ohh, I completely sympathize with her mother. Every parent wants to keep their daughter near. Beloved daughter, you’d better stay at home for a while!
I…I see…

The Silver Falcons have sworn to protect order across the continent. We act without regard for borders – there is only one world, after all. We are currently in the middle of an important strategy session. Please don’t interrupt.

It doesn’t matter that Cademon is in the party. No, you can’t change the character you run around as.

Charlotte-Struck Girl: Lots of girls are huge fans of Lady Charlotte. The minute she’s seen as wearing anything, similar fashions start flying off store shelves. In a word, she’s like the town’s idol. *sigh* I’m jealous… I wish everyone would try and emulate me!

Wise Old Man: That strength threatened the Imperator, and he set his armies against them. When the dust cleared, the desert country was destroyed. However… the spirits of the warriors from the defeated land still lurk within the desert’s sands, awaiting the perfect time for revenge… My great-grandfather first told me that tale when I was just a little boy. Man, was I spooked! I was always home by dark after that! Even now, I don’t like to go to the bathroom alone… Eheheh.
TMI, old man!

Okay, that’s all, now let’s talk to the red bubble people. First up:

Cheerful Man: Waiiit a minute… You didn’t peek inside and read it, now, did you?
Ahahah… maybe a little?
Cheerful Man: Boring, wasn’t it? This guy’s letters are always so dull. Anyway, here’s for your trouble. You had to come all the way out here, right? Thanks.
No, no he did not.
Obtained Jade Orb! Rush can now use Remedies!
Cheerful Man: Have a good one!
Completed Quest: The Secret Letter
I delivered the letter to Balterossa. I wonder what it was about… and why he couldn’t just use a mailman.

Remedies appear early enough that you probably have not have learned Vivication Herb yet. As has been noted before, Remedies are the game’s best healing, and you should have as many people learn them as possible.

And no, you can’t actually read the letter you were given. Next up!

Err… no?
I know my name is Jorgen… but I don’t know anything else. What sort of man was I? Where did I live? What was my job? What activities did I enjoy? I have no memory of any of it. Hmm? Your talisman, it-
This?
Ah, sorry. I thought you’d reminded me of something, but I guess not. Wait… This could be a good method. Ingenious, even. I’m fairly certain that asking you a favour at our first meeting seems somewhat rude,
(Think nothing of it, after all, neither would Rush.)
but I want to do whatever I can to regain my memory. Here is what I ask: could you find things that seem as if they have some connection to me, and bring them here?

I’ll see what I can do.
I appreciate it, truly. I am in your debt. I’ll trust your intuition. If you can find three things that really call to you about me, then please bring them to me. I’m sure it will help.
Jorgen lost his memory, but I might be able to help him get it back by showing him things connected to his past.
I dunno, pal. Right now the only things that really speak to me about you are bags of nuts.

Alternate Dialogue:

Be happy, memories suck.
Perhaps… perhaps so. It’s true that some have pasts they wish to forget so badly that my situation seems a boon. Forgive me for asking. I’ll try to regain my memories by myself.

Hmmm? Oh! You I remember! Have you come to help me remember more? I’m just looking for things that could remind me of myself. If you could bring such a thing here, I’d me much obliged.
You can live without ‘em!
Certainly, that is true, I believe… Yet I do not wish to do so. I’ll do what I can to restore my memory on my own.

Jorgen’s sidequest is one of the very rare freeform ones. There are seven items “Of Remembrance” in the world. We need to give him three of them to complete the quest and make him recruitable.

The high-concept behind this quest is that he has a multiple-choice past, and the combination of items we give him
actually determines the class he becomes. There are seven possibilities. Jorgen has several exclusive classes no one else can get. The problem, though, is that none of his classes are very impressive, and worse – four of the seven classes are only possible to obtain from an item practically at the end of the game. By that time, you’ve probably already acquired 99% of your final party, and they’ve been gaining stats and abilities, which will put Jorgen behind the curve... so there’s no reason to use him by then anyway.

I’ll have a separate post later on and let people decide which Jorgen I’ll get for the quest and then probably bench. Yay. :geno:

If you have confidence in your abilities, come to Balterossa Castle and speak with the chief of staff. He will tell you what you need to know.

We’ll come back to this later. Now for the last red bubble person.

Mojcado Castle… It’s an ancient castle left to ruin. Now it’s only home to legions of monsters and beasts. Why in the world would she select such a dangerous place to meet? No matter how I try, I cannot make heads or tails of the decision? Nevertheless, I will go. To meet with Charlotte, I would walk through a raging battlefield for just a glimpse of her smile. That said, I am no fighter.

Liar. Paris here is a pretty good fighter, actually. Alright, he might be a slightly better mage, but he’s no slouch in combat.

Good sir, might I request your assistance as a bodyguard within these ruins?
Sure, I’ll come along.
You’ve my gratitude. I am Paris. Not to be overly single-minded, but let us hurry to Mojcado Castle.
Accepted Quest: For Love the Bell Tolls

Rush’s decline option is “Be a man, go it alone.”, but Paris just says “I see”. Not interesting.

- Dungeon Video: Mojcado Castle (For Love the Bell Tolls)

Balterossa – Mojcado Castle: An abandoned acropolis that has long fallen into disrepair. It’s said that wandering souls haunt the area, beckoning thieves and monsters.

Music: Creeping Shadows

Not all dungeons appear on the world map. Some, like this one, appear on the city maps. It follows the dungeon rules for escaping, though, you can’t hit backspace to leave.

Mojcado has an interesting aesthetic. The whole thing is rather flat, but with sand-dusted skylights in the ceiling making it fairly bright for an interior dungeon. Still though, the palette is limited to shades of sandstone.

Aughhh!!!
That voice – it’s Charlotte! Something must have happened to her! I was meant to meet Charlotte at the castle’s bell tower. Let’s hurry!
A guest union has joined the party.

:swoon: This man cannot get into my party soon enough. His strength is less than his intellect, but it is close enough that he can work as a fighter. Alas, as you may be able to tell from the really high stats and his art collection, he’s pretty high BR and won’t be joining us anytime soon.

Mojcado is a pretty large level. This is the Gateway section. There’s a lot of rooms, treasure chests, dig points, and there are several exits to other sectors of the castle, and more will open up later. The east and west exits lead to small parts of the locked sectors that are cut off from it – they’re dead ends, basically.

I recorded a dungeon video, and spent the first half of it avoiding all combat… but partway through, it occurred to me that would make for a really dull dungeon video, so I apologize, and for your convenience, I’ve sped up the dull parts to 8x speed.

This is a weapon upgrade that Loki will want to take off our hands. The treasure chest in the right-central room has the map of the castle.

One downside to dungeons is that there’s rarely a lot interesting to look at in them. Our next treasure chest has Necklace Recipe 2, used to create a Floral Wreath: Mystic Resist + 2, Flame Defense +2, Thunder Defense +2. It’s a Mystic type item, so no one will request it due to the bug.

Paris the unit, on his own, has 777 health, but in a guest union, without anyone else in it, he has 2175 health. No, I don’t know how it’s calculated either.

As the Jhana are one of the “lesser” sentient races of the planet, no one blinks at killing them and carving them up for parts. It’s the natural order of things.

The ones here drop Warrior’s Broadswords often. Emma takes one as a weapon upgrade, and if we get a second, Rush can show it in at the Golden Chalice for a guild task completion. I also tinker with my art setup after this fight, disabling Caedmon’s Potions ability, Rush’s Enrage, and turning Blocter’s One-Handed back on so he’ll progress in that skill some more.

There are some of these large locked doors around that lead to other sectors of the castle. Another sidequest opens them up. Let’s move on to the second section of the castle, the Oath section.

The area in front of us is the Bell Tower, our destination. It is the circular section on the map, but we’ll need to take the long way to get there.

Earring Recipe 2 is used to create Spriggan’s Bounty, another one-per-game-only item. It grants Physical Resist +2 and Slash Resist +2, and is suited for the Physical resist type. I guess I could craft it and maybe someone would take it.

Still no actual elf race in the game. This is your only free one, but it can be bought for 81,000 G each from Rod’s Components in Athlum later on. It can be used either to create an Elf’s Escape trinket (Physical), giving AP Cost Cut +1, Immunity to the Black Out status, and +1 growth to Mystic arts, or a Qsiti specific spear Elf’s Snare, which has Lytic Attack +2, added effect: Acid Burn, and Unburdens + 5, which I think speeds that unit up.

Here’s the first time that our brand new Ranger class gets to show its stuff: David’s Division is deadlocking that unit, and our Ranger class gives us the “Side On” leadership skill, letting us flank them. This doesn’t seem that impressive now, since a flank would happen anyway, but it should also work on units that would normally multi-deadlock.

Hahahahahaha!

Uh, you go, David!

I think that’s enough dungeon for today. Boss time!

- BOSS Video: Assassin (For Love the Bell Tolls)

Mission: Defeat the Assassin.
This assassin cuts right to the chase and battle starts immediately.

Music: Struggle Eternal

I don’t think he was expecting Paris to come with so many people – that’s the one downside to his plan of having Paris and Charlotte meet in a dangerous place.

Rush’s plan to bluff was cancelled when the Hitman hit him and inflicted Blacked Out status. That lowers your defense to zero, and cancels any offensive or defensive action for the rest of the turn. It goes away after the current turn ends.

Paris dodges and the Jhana fighter falls flat on his face.

It was a critical trigger, too, so that union is gone. David’s Division flank-attacks the Hitman, but are deadlocked by the remaining Jhana group. Emma flanks THEM, but they dodge her Bladedancer.

For the pride of the Falcons!
Nice, this one looks loaded!

This battle seems like a cakewalk, so have Rush go all-out. I decide to have Emma heal another union, but I wasn’t paying quite enough attention and didn’t realize she was targeting David’s union, not Rush’s.

Not only does the assassin get in another nasty strike onto Rush, but he blocks Rush’s attack!

Those guys must be pretty frickin’ weak.

Paris is pretty good, guys. (To be fair, he vastly outlevels our party, and by the time we catch up

I am poor at pattern recognition, and fail to recognize that on the previous two turns, the Hitman has acted first each and every time. So I pick the “stay and heal” option, instead of the “break off and heal” option, which would (probably) let Rush’s union act first before the Hitman gets a chance to.

Glory to… the Falcons…

This is a reminder to not get sloppy even on easy fights. No one can revive yet, so no experience for Rush, Torgal, or Caedmon from this fight.

Not a fighter my rear end, Paris.

learned Spark III!
learned Restore II!

You okay?
*nods*
Thank you, Rush. Words cannot fully convey my gratitude. … But, dearest Charlotte, why did you decide to meet in such a perilous location in the first place? Though thanks to me requesting Rush’s help, we were able to rescue you…
What do you mean? Paris, you were the one who decided the meeting place. You wrote me not a fortnight back.
What!? I never wrote such a letter.

The plot thickens! I do like the sidequests in this game, they’re not usually boring and sometimes have elements of intrigue to them.

What manner of knavery is this – and towards what end? Now that I think of it… The brute from earlier knew me by name. Certainly it could not have been –
So neither of you sent the letters to each other?
*sigh* Forgive me, Rush. This mystery does not preclude a reward for your assistance.
Preclude?
The guest union has left the party.

Here is your promised reward. Please take it.
Obtained Godstone of Love!
Completed Quest: For Love the Bell Tolls!
…It’s a rock.

Godstone Count: 1

I’m almost certain I’ve seen the man Lady Charlotte was meeting before… If only I could remember where?

Court Lady: Lady Charlotte often goes to have her fortune told. It seems to bring her great happiness.

I’m sorry I’ve caused Mother such trouble. Yet Paris is a wonderful man…
However, I will not be revealing the details of this plot to the public. I have my own idea of the culprit. Now, to spin a web to catch them...

Remember that soldier in the bar who told us to go to the castle? Let’s see what he has.

A thousand years ago, there was a great kingdom in the desert. Its military was renowned around the world. And within that force was the queensguard – the Mantroskylo. Their prowess in battle is still sung in legend today. They were heroes who sealed countless wild monsters. A brotherhood who protected their queen like an iron wall. Skilled warriors who could win while outnumbered a thousand to one. However, they were eventually destroyed by their own strength. They turned into monsters, and turned upon the Imperator. The Imperator immediately struck back. After a fierce battle on both sides, the Imperator took the Tao Tie and sealed the Mantroskylo.
Sounds like an old story. What’s the big deal?
Young traveler, this is no simple nursery-tale. After a thousand years, the Mantroskylo have returned. They assemble against Balterossa to take back the Tao Tie. This cannot be allowed, no matter the cost. Somehow, the force that was strong enough to even plague the Imperator must be defeated.

By “Fight with us”, he really means “Fight the entire army all by yourself while we do nothing.” Also, if you were paying attention, this sounds like it might be a little more difficult than usual. But we’re a whole BR NINE now, so we can do it!

Sure, I’ll help!

I have those already from my previous playthrough. I’ll just cancel out of this quest here, put my guys in them and boom! No problem! (Note that this is your second chance to back out of this quest.)

Accepted Quest: The Ancient War

- BLOOPER Video: The Ancient War (Schmuck Edition)

…is that a Dragon? …poo poo. Note how low the starting morale is. Okay, my plan for this battle, is to stand by, building up my AP, so none of my unions will take any actions for a turn or two.

Music: Sliver of Hope

I failed to notice that some enemies were in fact, in range to attack us.

Okay, so this isn’t great. At all. But maybe I can salvage it…

Poison does not bother with wussy stuff like “reduce your health to 1”. No, it will just go ahead and kill you.

That one lone bird ate damage more than twice as much as my toughest union has HP, and one attack from it took off 1/3 of my HP. So…

When the game was warning about how dangerous this was… it was not loving around. This quest is one that we’ll have to save for later. MUCH later.

New Arts Summary

learned:
  • Restorative Herb II!
  • Spark III!
Learned Restore II!
class changed to Expert Fighter!
class changed to Monk!

Video: The Southwestern Road
Video: Balterossa Flyover
Dungeon Video: Mojcado Castle (For Love the Bell Tolls)
BOSS Video: Assassin (For Love the Bell Tolls)
BLOOPER Video: The Ancient War (Schmuck Edition)

Next Time: I ain’t afraid o’ no ghost.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 27, 2017

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
It's a real shame some of Jorgen's more interesting unique classes are locked so late into the game. If you want to recruit him soon-ish, before he'd probably just see the bench immediately rather than soon after, I think it's actually only a choice between two classes since I remember the third needing an item from the second half of the game, even if earlier than the item for the other four.

I've thought about cheating in the items early, but far as I can tell you then run into the issue of the PC version assigning the Jorgen with those classes a near end-game starting BR, stats to somewhat match and weapons that definitely match. You could put in the effort to change all of those things too, but absent that the best you could do is work your unions such that as a whole his is smaller/more balanced to your actual BR at the time. Never done it, but have thought about it.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

I just love Sovanni in combat. The first you meet has four short swords. And you think to yourself, okay a bit silly but reasonable enough. And then Caedmon comes around and is just dual weilding massive axes. Don't be fooled into thinking the Yama are the "Strong" race becuase they are so bulky, its the Sovanni. And this isn't the last four armed cat person we'll get who has a penchant for just wielding two oversized polearms.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tzarnal posted:

I just love Sovanni in combat. The first you meet has four short swords. And you think to yourself, okay a bit silly but reasonable enough. And then Caedmon comes around and is just dual weilding massive axes. Don't be fooled into thinking the Yama are the "Strong" race becuase they are so bulky, its the Sovanni. And this isn't the last four armed cat person we'll get who has a penchant for just wielding two oversized polearms.

My only problem with the Sovanni is that I think the game designers struggled to think of a proper fighting style that would use 4 different swords simultaneously, so a lot of their 4-wield attack arts look... Kinda off and weird. Double two-handed looks mostly fine though!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Decus posted:

It's a real shame some of Jorgen's more interesting unique classes are locked so late into the game. If you want to recruit him soon-ish, before he'd probably just see the bench immediately rather than soon after, I think it's actually only a choice between two classes since I remember the third needing an item from the second half of the game, even if earlier than the item for the other four.

I've thought about cheating in the items early, but far as I can tell you then run into the issue of the PC version assigning the Jorgen with those classes a near end-game starting BR, stats to somewhat match and weapons that definitely match. You could put in the effort to change all of those things too, but absent that the best you could do is work your unions such that as a whole his is smaller/more balanced to your actual BR at the time. Never done it, but have thought about it.

you could always use a trainer to change his class after recruiting them just to try them out. Oh and uh... put the assembly out of your minds guys.

We wont be back for a while...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Onmi posted:

you could always use a trainer to change his class after recruiting them just to try them out. Oh and uh... put the assembly out of your minds guys.

We wont be back for a while...

I hadn't thought of that, given that according to the trainer I used each version of Jorgen counted as a separate character. I ended up using him anyway, because I cheated in more union capacity just for fun. He never really amounted to much, as you might expect. Perhaps if I ever play the game again I'll use an all-Jorgen union.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
vi. Jorgen

Jorgen is kinda interesting. He has a multiple choice past, and what class he becomes is determined by the combination of three items you find in the world and show him.

Two classes are available in mid-Disc 1, one class is available at the end of Disc 1, and four others are only available near the end of Disc 2. All this fuss over this one character, who frankly, is underwhelming and bench fodder as far as I’m concerned. Interesting idea, not great execution.

Jorgen

An amnesiac desert wanderer. His scarred face hints at a rough past. Is what he remembers real?

Class: Adventurer
Initial BR: BR 14
HP: (446)
Str / Int: (25 / 19)

Current Arts
  • One-Handed: (Knee Splitter)
  • Power Grip: (Smash), (Crossbreak)
  • Remedies: (Restore)
  • Herbs: (Restorative Herb), (Vivification Herb)
Future Arts
  • Invocations @ BR 24
  • Lotions @ BR 36
  • Arcana: Rejuvenating Water

Comments
Adventurer is the easiest and quickest one to get. It’s also fairly utilitarian… but it offers nothing special and you’re likely to eventually bench Adventurer J. just like I did. On the other hand, I can get him almost right away and he would be the first character to have Vivication Herb. But that would mean needing to bench someone else, preferably not someone who is trying to learn vivication Herb... so either Torgal or Blocter.

Tags: Combat, Healer, Arcana, Outclassed

Class: Sage
Initial BR: BR 24
HP: (470)
Str / Int: (34 / 29)

Current Arts
  • Invocations: (Spark II), (Wind Shear)
Future Arts
  • Psionics @ BR 37
  • Explosives @ BR 46
  • Arcana: Blackout, Crimson Flare

Comments
This one can learn Psionics, which is not bad. Too bad there’s naught of interest in the long drought before that. He’ll eventually be outclassed by other leaders.

Tags: Mystic, Psionics, Arcana

Class: Warrior
Initial BR: BR 37
HP: (511)
Str / Int: (44 / 21)

Current Arts
  • Two-Handed: (Double Strike III), (Thunderclap II), (Cascade Strike)
  • Dual Wield: (Devil's Due III), (Bladedancer II), (Resonance Edge)
Future Arts
  • Invocations @ BR 49
  • Herbs @ BR 62

Comments
You have to enter the Aquaducts, and then leave them after finding the item for this class. It’s only notable for being a rare dual-wielder, and otherwise is uninteresting.

Tags: Combat, Outclassed, Worthless,

Class: Aristocrat
Initial BR: BR 69
HP: (919)
Str / Int: (69 / 44)

Current Arts
  • Two-Handed: (Double Strike III), (Thunderclap II), (Cascade Strike II), (Dragon Crush)
  • Herbs : (Restorative Herb III), (Vivification Herb II), (Life Powder II), (Restorative Tincture II), (Vivification Tincture)
Future Arts
  • Wards @ BR 79
  • Lotions @ BR 89

Comments
The only notable factor for choosing this one is that he learns Wards – only five characters under BR 80 can learn them. But like all of the Jorgens available here, by the time you can get him, it’s so freaking late in the game that there’s little point in choosing any of them – you’ve been gathering and strengthening a solid party all game long by now.

Tags: Combat, Healer, Wards

Class: Djin
HP: (1063)
Str / Int: (64 / 53)

Current Arts
  • Invocations: (Spark III), (Wind Shear III), (Double Time II), (Caustic Blast II), (Permafrost)
Future Arts
  • Hexes @ BR 82
  • Shards @ BR 92
  • Arcana: Blackout

Comments
Invocations. That’s all he loving gets until BR 82, after which he can learn Poison Gas as a Hex. And only 10 more BR until he gets Shards! Whyyyyyy. Shards are the only thing going for this joker, but by this point, David could have mastered Shards, and there’s also Khrynia you can get now who starts out with a buttload of Shards pre-learned. Worthless.

Tags: Mystic, Arcana, Shards, Outclassed, Worthless

Class: General
HP: (1078)
Str / Int: (63 / 48)

Current Arts
  • Hexes: (Poison Gas III), (Paralyze Gas III), (Silent Gas II), (Smoke Canister II), (Dispirit)
Future Arts
  • Evocations @ BR 80
  • Potions @ BR 90
  • Arcana: Animalcule

Comments
Hexes. Seriously, this is supposed to be a character worth waiting this long to get? You can recruit other characters a lot earlier who know the same or more Hexes than this.

Tags: Mystic, Arcana, Worthless

Class: Raider
HP: (1392)
Str / Int: (61 / 39)

Current Arts
  • One-Handed: (Knee Splitter III), (Cutting Lunge II), (Blue Streak II), (Double Slash)
  • Power Grip: (Smash III), (Crossbreak II), (Switchback II), (Dragon's Flight)
  • Potions: (Red Potion III), (Blue Potion III), (Yellow Potion II), (Power Potion II), (Shield Potion)
Future Arts
  • Remedies @ BR 81
  • Explosives @ BR 91

Comments
His high health is notable, but is that enough to save Raider J.? Not a loving chance. These are basically all trash. The Wards and Psionics users are the only ones with some redeeming factors - maybe the Adventurer for the early Vivication Herb.

Tags: Combat, Worthless

Your choices:
Adventurer - (BR 14)
Sage - (BR 24)
Warrior - (BR 37)
Aristocrat - (BR 69)
Djin - (BR 69)
General - (BR 69)
Raider - (BR 69)

Reader Poll: Pick which Jorgen I'll recruit.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 7, 2015

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."
Since he's apparently fodder no matter which option we choose, I'd wanna throw my vote towards whichever one gives us the funniest dialogue. Maybe... the Aristocrats?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

I'd got for Aristocrat, some more wards seems like it could possibly be useful, maybe. At some point. Okay I just like Wards.

Tzarnal fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 7, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I vote Sage because Psionics are cool.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
The real coolness of Raider is the weapon art/weapon it comes with easily making it one of his best classes. Barely anybody other than Rush can use it and on this run in particular I think it's only Rush, Jorgen or generics as options since I don't think you're going combat focus with Torgal. So, might as well vote Raider just for ease of showing that off near endgame. Saves you some crafting.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
So for the next update, I visited a dungeon that I kinda-sorta hadn't been to in a long time, and I kinda-sorta got a little lost (doing an entire section of dungeon that was optional), and I kinda-sorta fought most things I could see, and all of that kinda-sorta means I've got about an HOUR of dungeon footage. Not counting the boss. I can cut out the part where I got lost, but that's still about 45 minutes of dungeon.

I'm actually underleveled for this dungeon, thanks to avoiding so many fights before. The battles are challenging and dangerous at times. I gained some stats and skills, but a lot more BR than expected (I ended up at 13). I've got a few options:

1) Cut out getting lost, speed up all the out-of battle stuff to double-speed, leave the battles at normal speed.
2) Cut out getting lost, speed up everything to double-speed
3) Cut out getting lost, leave everything at normal speed, but edit out selected battles.
4) Load my pre-dungeon save, and re-record the dungeon, avoid getting lost, avoid more battles than I did before.

Which option sounds best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Option 1.

• Locked thread